PDA

View Full Version : While only a speech a remarkable breakthrough

fivekatz
01-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Let's recognize that what a person says in their inaugural speech is amongst the most contemplated public pronouncements they will make in their Presidential careers.

I found it inspiring that Obama today was willing to take up the issues of rights for non-Anglos, women and the LGBT community.

The next great civil rights issue in our country is that of LGBT Americans and those that feel that all the work has been done in the battle for true equality for people of color or that of women are wrong. So for the President to discuss these issues at an historic moment was huge.

Freed from the need to pander to the bias of many voters sympathetic to many of Obama's issues he can now speak out for Americans who do not enjoy the same basic rights as others.

Whether this bully pulpit will translate into action certainly is a matter of debate but the simple fact that the the CEO of our republic will open talk about need for change push the rock a little further down the hill IMHO.

fivekatz
01-22-2013, 06:27 AM
For those that missed it here is one passage in particular that took stands on issues few in American politics let alone the Chief have been willing to take:

We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth.

It is now our generation’s task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts. Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. Our journey is not complete until no citizen is forced to wait for hours to exercise the right to vote. Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity; until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country. Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm.

flabbybody
01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
was only 50 years ago when the police busted gay bars in New York every day of the week..... would cuff guys on some obscure law forbidding homosexuals from congregating in establishments that served alcohol. One time in 1968 a bunch of drag queens and gay bois said enough already. The cops had no idea what was coming. Those faggots gave NYPD quite a beat down that summer night. New York Times termed it a riot.
Today the place on Christopher Street is a shrine to freedom where people from all over the world come to pay homage. It's equivalent to the town in Alabama where the black lady took a seat on the bus in the whites only section.

And the President of The United States mentioned the Stonewall bar in his inauguration speech. A great day for all.

Prospero
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
And good to see climate change on the agenda and highly visible.

Stavros
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
On the one hand Obama delivers rousing speeches in spite of the challenges posed by the global economy and the USA's place in it. In the UK I feel that although we have had more openly gay men and women in politics since the 1990s, and indeed in government, in the case of Cameron and the coalition their apppeal to the diversity of Britain's population is electioneering and window dressing.
On the other hand, the USA has a record of adaptation to change, while the diversity of its population is regarded as a strength, where here there is an increasingly public disapproval of multi-culturalism, immigration and Europe, much of it fanned by myopic mumblings and misleading statements from the Conservative Party. Thus, in recent years talented scientists and engineers from Asia and other parts of the world have been denied entry to the UK as a consequence of a 'tightening up' of visa regulations.

Thus Obama can say (as quoted in fivekatz's post above)
Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity; until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country

The policy in the UK seems to be set against precisely this kind of openness and encouragement, vital for our long term intellectual and economic future. One observes with envy the 'can do' attitude that has driven the USA for so long, and the 'can't be bothered' attitude of some in this country who would rather see this country go down the drain than deepen our relationship with Europe, that don't want to let scientists into the country because they are from India or Pakistan. One of our leading scientists, Paul Nurse, has also pointed out how damaging it is to the UK's reputation at a time when the university sector is under great strain. No wonder talented people choose to go to Germany or the USA.

Obama in this context is an inspiration; Cameron is just insipid.Pity we can't do a swap.

Odelay
01-23-2013, 05:15 AM
And the President of The United States mentioned the Stonewall bar in his inauguration speech. A great day for all.

Yeah, I was pretty floored when he mentioned Stonewall. Never saw that coming. Others used to claim that Clinton was the first "black" President for how empathetic he was with the African American community, so I guess Obama's shooting for being the first "gay" President.

Ben
01-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Obama's Inaugural Address - History, or Just Words? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKSrKgMzBs)

Ben
01-23-2013, 05:32 AM
was only 50 years ago when the police busted gay bars in New York every day of the week..... would cuff guys on some obscure law forbidding homosexuals from congregating in establishments that served alcohol. One time in 1968 a bunch of drag queens and gay bois said enough already. The cops had no idea what was coming. Those faggots gave NYPD quite a beat down that summer night. New York Times termed it a riot.
Today the place on Christopher Street is a shrine to freedom where people from all over the world come to pay homage. It's equivalent to the town in Alabama where the black lady took a seat on the bus in the whites only section.

As Noam Chomsky has repeatedly pointed out: the 60s civilized the overall culture. I agree. Even though I wasn't around in the 60s. So, in that specific sense I can't judge.
But I tend to agree. We're becoming more and more civilized. I'm optimistic about that. But, well, on the environmental front things are, well, less than stellar.
And, too, is Obama beholden to oil and gas interests??? I mean, the oil industry are extremely powerful and are going to defend their interests. And their profits... which, in the long term, amount to trillions and trillions. So, they won't walk quietly away without a fight.

fivekatz
02-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Yeah, I was pretty floored when he mentioned Stonewall. Never saw that coming. Others used to claim that Clinton was the first "black" President for how empathetic he was with the African American community, so I guess Obama's shooting for being the first "gay" President.While "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" became one of the most destructive policies for LGBT community Clinton's original intention was to end discrimination against gay and lesbian service men/women. It was the total shit storm that followed his announcement that this was his intention that led to DADT.

He had the best of intentions, in fact his willingness to commit to it as a campaign issue in 1992 and attempt it 1993 was remarkable for the times. As sometimes happens with compromise the result was DADT and it turned out to be horrible.

But Clinton put his ass out there in 1993 and then to his shame signed DOMA.