PDA

View Full Version : Were You Baptized?

Dino Velvet
01-20-2013, 01:53 AM
I wasn't. My father was Russian Orthodox Christian and my mother came from small-town Texas where Protestant churches played Tug O' War over potential congregants to fill up the collection plates. She was the one troubled with religion who didn't allow my father to have me Baptized. I was Circumcised but still no water drizzled over my head.

I've called myself Catholic because of my schooling. Christian too for sake of identification. In reality I'm probably some sort of Agnostic. If God exists He has a lot of explaining to do. Giving me life don't get Him a pass.

bluesoul
01-20-2013, 02:07 AM
If God exists He has a lot of explaining to do.

what needs to be explained?

the other day when i was droppin' knowledge to my crew via an off the dome freestyle, i actually touched upon this very topic and dropped quite a few quotables along the way.

you'll forgive me if i don't recall the actual lines, but they were pretty dope

Idt20082008"
01-20-2013, 02:09 AM
I was, baptized Catholic. Being 50% Italian, I think that is almost a pre-requisite lol. Probably not the best Catholic as I don't go to church enough, swear a little too much (cutting that is a New Year Res), take the Lords name in vain etc. Certainly imperfect, but I try to be as good a person as possible :-)

BellaBellucci
01-20-2013, 02:18 AM
I was baptized, but never confirmed. I rejected the church at 14. the religion at 15, got into Wicca for a few years, realized that it was Paganism 101, got into Native American spirituality and Asatruism, realized that all religion does is personify abstract concepts in forms that digestible by all different types of people, and became agnostic.

My path to truth runs though wherever my life takes me. No 'holy books.' No dogma. No idioculture. Just me, my perceptions, and my thoughts. No god made the world. We do.

~BB~

Quiet Reflections
01-20-2013, 02:25 AM
I was as a kid but I'm a non believer these days. I'm not sure I ever believed even as a kid. The whole thing seems pretty ridiculous to me

Dino Velvet
01-20-2013, 02:27 AM
I was baptized, but never confirmed. I rejected the church at 14. the religion at 15, got into Wicca for a few years, realized that it was Paganism 101, got into Native American spirituality and Asatruism, realized that all religion does is personify abstract concepts in forms that digestible by all different types of people, and became agnostic.

My path to truth runs though wherever my life takes me. No 'holy books.' No dogma. No idioculture. Just me, my perceptions, and my thoughts. No god made the world. We do.

~BB~

Now Confirmation would be a good one to ask. Nice post, Bella. You're a good and smart gal that has no problem finding your own way.

Dino Velvet
01-20-2013, 02:29 AM
This thread tells more about your parents since they decided whether to Baptize.

Rusty Eldora
01-20-2013, 05:23 AM
I was when a baby, did get confirmed around the 6th grade, shortly after my dad got in a pissing match with some at the church and we stopped going. He was a science background and saw the bible as the writing of lore brought forward for eons. He (and I) believed in the base ethos of the proper way to live and treat those around you.

I am agnostic, not atheist, as I have seen god and his kin, mother nature. We were mountaineering in the winter in Colorado, a bad storm came up and we thought we had bought it. I feel that we made it out by the grace of god.

maxpower
01-20-2013, 06:52 AM
I was baptized. I was raised Catholic, and I went to church every Sunday with the family and catechism class once a week. I never really bought into it though. It all seemed pretty silly to me and I loathed going to church. I made my confirmation, but by that time I had already abandoned Catholicism in my mind, and was just doing it for family. Since then I haven't set foot in a church except for weddings or funerals. I would consider myself some sort of atheist/agnostic.

Amoore
01-20-2013, 06:54 AM
yep i was

dc_guy_75
01-20-2013, 07:33 AM
We are all born atheist/agnostic, and many of us are taught to worship a bronze-age, middle-eastern, genocidal deity (Yahweh) who is either unwilling or unable to prevent the slaughter of innocent children.

Being brought up Catholic, being taught to worship such a deity was pretty demented, looking back on it

samspud
01-20-2013, 10:04 AM
About 20 yrs ago, there was a horrible accident on the Manhattan Bridge. A school bus had crashed into the side of it and it was going over the side all of the children had managed to escape except one girl who was trapped in the back by a broken window, the bus fell in and a young man who was on the bridge without hesitation dove in after it, he nearly died but he saved that little girl.
When asked why he did it, his answer was that nothing mattered more than that little girl in that instant. The most inspiring thing about this event was that the young man was raised and was a practicing member of the KKK and the little girl was black. When the L.A. riots took place there were people that came from as far away as Iceland to help rebuild the city, the same can be said for 911.
If there is a God, he, she or it resides in our capacity to demonstrate compassion! That and that alone will be our only savior.

horst1
01-20-2013, 11:49 AM
no. third generation atheist. growing up in a predominantly areligious city, religion was never present throughout my youth. grownups believing in god are a concept i don't get to this day.

Kire89
01-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes. At 15 I "confirmed" my Christianity because that yielded the most cash/gifts from parents/family. At 23 I sent a letter to the Norwegian Church asking to be removed from their annals/records. :)

martin48
01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I was baptized - photo of church where the crime was undertaken attached. Got to about 14, after regular church attendance, and realised it was all rather silly. Still like the history and the architecture though

Prospero
01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
About 20 yrs ago, there was a horrible accident on the Manhattan Bridge. A school bus had crashed into the side of it and it was going over the side all of the children had managed to escape except one girl who was trapped in the back by a broken window, the bus fell in and a young man who was on the bridge without hesitation dove in after it, he nearly died but he saved that little girl.
When asked why he did it, his answer was that nothing mattered more than that little girl in that instant. The most inspiring thing about this event was that the young man was raised and was a practicing member of the KKK and the little girl was black. When the L.A. riots took place there were people that came from as far away as Iceland to help rebuild the city, the same can be said for 911.
If there is a God, he, she or it resides in our capacity to demonstrate compassion! That and that alone will be our only savior.

An interesting posting.... and yes I dont know if such acts confirm God, but they do confirm goodness... especially your remarkable story about the KKK member

Willie Escalade
01-20-2013, 05:08 PM
I was baptized, confirmed, and had my turtleneck trimmed.

Kevin Dong
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
turns out a lot of "christians" like tgirls

I was also baptized in Russia by the Orthodox church. If they saw how I'm living now the hair on the back of their necks would stand up. Lol. I also get a lot of guys with Jesus tattoos applying to be male performers. Trés Bizarre.

buttslinger
01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
When my sister was Baptized the Pastor called her by the wrong first name. So we all wonder if when the roll is called up yonder, ....will she be excluded because of a clerical error?

Prospero
01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Baptised, first holy communion, confirmation... and then... puberty... questions... dismissal....anger... acceptance of others' faith.. distance... intellectual examination... total rejection of the notion of a deity... but like Martin I love the architecture, the history and, 100 per cent, the music. Among the finest ever dreamt off...

Nikka
01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I am not thanks to Jesus

Dino Velvet
01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
I would like to thank everybody for participating and invite you all to continue. As an old Catholic School Boy, religion is interesting to me and I like to see how either people have fully embraced it or done away with it completely.