PDA

View Full Version : RP Nagisa Oshima

Prospero
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
The Japanese film director Oshima has died.
He's best known for the powerful and innovative film "In The realm Of The Senses" (Ai No Corrida).

RIP

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/jan/15/nagisa-oshima-provocateur-poet-senses

giovanni_hotel
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Goodbye.

Prospero
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
That filmI mentioned is really worth seeing. Erotic, dark and very disturbing.

Stavros
01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
I saw most of his films in the 1970s and 1980s - Diary of a Shinjuku Thief, Death By Hanging, The Ceremony, The Boy, Ai no Corrida, and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence -apart from The Boy (a true story, like Ai No Corrida) none of them were worth watching. A hugely overrated director even by Japanese standards, his films lack the intriguing narrative tricks of Imamura, for example. He tried too hard to be a challenging director, but lacked vision, or anything of substance to say, and it shows in his films.

sukumvit boy
01-17-2013, 03:36 AM
Very insightful Stavros.I saw 'Senses' and not sure about 'Boy'. Although interesting in a shock value way,not very memorable or significant.
Not to speak ill of the dead,but I think you nailed it.
RIP

JenniferParisHusband
01-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Everyone gets hung up on the shock value of something like In The Realm of the Senses, and yeah, the egg thing was a little odd the first time around. But having seen it in the Japanese, and without the dubs or oddly translated subtitles, for Japanese cinema, it's pretty groundbreaking. The darkness, obsession and ultimate lack of morality is a huge departure from the movies that came before it. When you look at it next to something like Ran or Seven Samurai (the ones most people go to when talking Japanese movies) it's a pretty huge departure from what came before.