PDA

View Full Version : Remember when reality tv was reality?

SXFX
01-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Man I may be getting old...but remember when reality TV shows had some grounding in reality?
Do you remember how amazing the first few years of the Real World were?
And how they changed things for everyone?

saifan
01-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Groundbreaking, but even then it was constructed by a producer or editor. The only real difference is the talent didn't realize how much the edit could change how viewers perceived them.

SXFX
01-07-2013, 05:02 AM
And the cast were no models and had real jobs and looked and sounded like real people.
Remember that? =\

ew86riv
01-07-2013, 06:33 AM
"reality" shows are just sitcoms and dramas shot in a different format. nobody can convince me that these are the real lives of these people.

Quiet Reflections
01-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Reality shows were always shitty. The real world was crap from day 1! but maybe I'm to old and it just didn't register for me. I always felt like shows like that were just ways to sell advertising time without having to do any work for an actual show. People that want to see reality should turn off their television and go the fuck outside.

robertlouis
01-07-2013, 06:53 AM
The only reality TV is the news.

Unless it's on Fox, of course.

alpha2117
01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Ironically the Real World changed everything by chance. They cast the San Francisco version of the show with people whose big personalities changed the game. The young gay man who died of AIDS just after the show finished offered compelling viewing as did the republican girl and the uncouth bike messenger whilst the slow growing romantic attachment of the cartoonist and the doc was the perfect softer counterpoint. It was hard after that version of the show to live up to those people so they started to cast more and more extreme characters in reality tv.

Females+Shemales
01-07-2013, 08:03 AM
The first Real World and Survivor shows were compelling because it was the first time these concepts were done which them unique and interesting. Then of course, the network had to water them down by spanning 20 seasons of the same crap.

I also blame VH1 for the explosion of Reality TV dating when they started it with "Kept" starring Jerry Hall!

JPeterson
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Most of reality tv is awful but stuff like Deadlist Catch,Shark Tank and Hard Knocks are good as any scripted shows.

SXFX
01-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Ironically the Real World changed everything by chance. They cast the San Francisco version of the show with people whose big personalities changed the game. The young gay man who died of AIDS just after the show finished offered compelling viewing as did the republican girl and the uncouth bike messenger whilst the slow growing romantic attachment of the cartoonist and the doc was the perfect softer counterpoint. It was hard after that version of the show to live up to those people so they started to cast more and more extreme characters in reality tv.
Yeah now that I think about it yes you are right.

NYCTSluv
01-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Reality TV is such scripted garbage these days. I do find it funny that some people still think it's all real even though every show has story line editors and story line producers. You can even see cast members looking off screen in "confessionals" as if they are reading a funny line given to them LOL.

Even ALL competition "reality" shows end with this little quick blurb, "ALL JUDGES HAD TO TALK WITH THE PRODUCERS FIRST BEFORE MAKING ANY ELIMINATION". Producers are paying big money for the show and they make most of the eliminations.

SXFX
01-08-2013, 04:00 AM
The only reality show i still enjoy is Wipe Out!

yodajazz
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
The more I think, the reality for me, is that it is really 'escape from reality tv'. Me an the s/o barely can agree to spend 1/2 hour a week, to address an issue like the govt saying we owe 10k from 10 years ago, and figure which utility is due be connected first, several hours each day are devoted to seeing, if the 13 year old who sings like Whitney, will win the 5 million. She'll do fine, even if she didn't win the money with her talent, and future potential. I could go on and on with different things in our reality that need to be addressed.

Dino Velvet
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
The only reality TV is the news.

Unless it's on Fox, of course.

That looks pretty real to me.

I ain't your Papi!! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poat6y9bkbk)

Lovecox
01-09-2013, 03:39 AM
The People's Court was the first reality show I watched. I still think it's a riot.