PDA

View Full Version : Rent a car taxes in LA are @#$%@#$

Odelay
01-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Visiting LA for two weeks in February, but am truly despondent over the cost of a rent a car. The cheapest compact for a week is $144, but the taxes and fees push it to over $400! That's like 250% increase due to taxes alone. LA isn't alone in these highway robbery tax rates as most cities pay for their fancy schmancy baseball/football stadiums by gouging the tourists. But I think this tax rate is the highest I've seen.

I'll probably just shuddup and bite the bullet but if anyone has any ideas about how to get economical transportation in the wider LA metropolitan area, legal or illegal, please share. I'm open to any suggestions.

- Odelay

last_stop
01-04-2013, 02:48 AM
That doesn't sound right. What company are you using? I don't recall LA's rental costs being much different than other locales I've travelled to. Certainly nothing approaching NYC (through the roof) or Boston (due to their wacky insurance laws). I just priced a compact car at LAX for 275/week with Enterprise - taxes and everything included and no discounts.

I typically use Enterprise or Hertz. Avis is the worst. Also, if you can get a hold of any corporate discount codes(just Google 'em), it will help tremendously - trust me. The people at the counter don't bother to verify either.

bricktop
01-04-2013, 03:50 AM
that's about right & it's not just la... $144/week is great until you include taxes, ins, sat radio, gps, gas & more taxes. it will get much worse. welcome to the ussa!!!

TatianaSummer
01-04-2013, 04:13 AM
I always get a discount of 30% off on Enterprise, just have to tease the guys and Poofff 30% off. wink!

Odelay
01-04-2013, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I use Enterprise a lot in the midwest. Problem is, when you input LA and all that into the Enterprise site, you get a price, but below the price they state the dreaded: "Additional surcharges, local taxes, etc. may apply."

Anyway, I might have jumped the gun. Tonight I found out some info which leads me to believe I might not be visiting LA after all. To be continued...

ed_jaxon
01-04-2013, 07:05 AM
plot thickens

bobvela
01-04-2013, 08:13 AM
You either signed up for too many extras... or picked a bad company to rent from... be thankful you aren't renting overseas... such as in Ireland.

Some credit cards offer free rental car insurance (so you can pass on what is offered by the rental agent)... the fine print though says it isn't available in just a couple countries... one of which is Ireland where when you got into rent a car, the more or less mandatory insurance (and different types) will more than double your daily price on an already expensive rental.

Alas, this is not the sort of thing most are aware of until they walk up to the rental counter in Dublin or Shannon.

runround04
01-04-2013, 08:33 AM
By a car for a Grand and sell it when ya leave, worked for TopGear....

BiBoyinBeantown
01-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Politicians love taxes on things like rental cars and hotel rooms because typically the people who pay them are tourists and can't vote in that district. :smileysex:

That said it's also easy to get signed up for a whole lot of extras when you pick up the rental car, sometimes without being aware that you're buying them. You have to be pretty firm about saying "No" to all manner of stuff.

Willie Escalade
01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Well we DO need SOMEONE to pay for that new stadium...

Janna_b
01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Welcome to California, I wanted to live in San Diego and was offered two jobs after I graduated nursing school but after I checked the cost of everything from a mortgage, to gas, to just about anything it was so inflated due to taxes I refused to live there no matter how beautiful it is.

It's just the price you pay for going there and like others have said you just need to shop around.

BiBoyinBeantown
01-05-2013, 05:53 AM
As far as places I could pick to move, coastal Califnordia would be Right Out because of the cost of living, particularly housing. I might find Sandy Eggo somewhat attractive because of its proximity to TJ, but that's about it.

Not that I've ever been to TJ. I keep wanting to get there some time, but I read a lot of scary things about it, both in terms of the drug cartels making things dangerous and in terms of ordinary ripoffs by working girls, by drinking establishments, by corrupt cops, yada yada, by just about everyone under the sun. Not sure how much of it all to believe.

Willie Escalade
01-05-2013, 06:01 AM
As far as places I could pick to move, coastal Califnordia would be Right Out because of the cost of living, particularly housing. I might find Sandy Eggo somewhat attractive because of its proximity to TJ, but that's about it.

Not that I've ever been to TJ. I keep wanting to get there some time, but I read a lot of scary things about it, both in terms of the drug cartels making things dangerous and in terms of ordinary ripoffs by working girls, by drinking establishments, by corrupt cops, yada yada, by just about everyone under the sun. Not sure how much of it all to believe.

I head down to St. Didacus at least five times a year...and I've YET to go to Teejay.

Jackal
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
I always get a discount of 30% off on Enterprise, just have to tease the guys and Poofff 30% off. wink!

Looking super fine in yellow, no wonder you are given discounts