PDA

View Full Version : OK. It Looks Like Diarrhea. Maybe It Comes Out More Solid.

Dino Velvet
12-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Finally got some of that Vindaloo from a local spot in West LA. Went in there at the tail end of the lunch buffet and some fat broad(obvious regular customer) was trying to show me the ropes. I politely told her someone recommended the place and I was ordering something specific. She went back to shoveling food in her mouth with a serving spoon.

I'm not too familiar with this type of food but the guy taking my order was nice. He asked me mild or spicy. Spicy for sure and they said they made it extra spicy for me.

Get it home and take out the Lamb Vindaloo, rice, and 3 sauces(one was like cilantro juice, another was some sorta carrot deal, and the last was apple pie filling with vinegar). I liked the Vindaloo w/rice and the Cilantro juice. It was a little spicy but I only needed a couple sips of beer.

All in all it tastes better than it looks and I'll go back. That Lunch Buffet is only $8.95.

http://nizamindianfood.com/
http://c0056906.cdn2.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/28666.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lty7RAHKT9E

MdR Dave
12-04-2012, 03:22 AM
I've never tried Nizam- I have an almost pathological aversion to Indian food. I always just end up eating grilled lamb and nan.

Ever try the Thai place on the same block? Pretty good. They make a coconut milk broth soup (lemon, basil, etc) that is incredible.

Dino Velvet
12-04-2012, 03:34 AM
I've never tried Nizam- I have an almost pathological aversion to Indian food. I always just end up eating grilled lamb and nan.

Ever try the Thai place on the same block? Pretty good. They make a coconut milk broth soup (lemon, basil, etc) that is incredible.

While I was waiting I read the menu on the front window. Looks real good too. I was planning on going now I'll go for sure. I'm a big fan of Thai Food, especially lately.

I like our city for food.

JenniferParisHusband
12-04-2012, 05:20 AM
While I was waiting I read the menu on the front window. Looks real good too. I was planning on going now I'll go for sure. I'm a big fan of Thai Food, especially lately.

I like our city for food.

LA is good for foreign food. Pizza, burgers, etc. LA is pretty bad. Still think In & Out Burger is severely overrated, and good pizza in LA is non-existent.

There's an Indian place in a small plaza on Vermont between 4th and 5th st. called Makkah Hallal Tandoori. If you're ever in K-town, I highly reccommend their Lamb Tika with the spices up to 10. When I was still living there (2010) it was still really good, and had the precious LA County "A" rating.

robertlouis
12-04-2012, 05:39 AM
I know that I would say this, wouldn't I, but the UK is wonderful for Indian food and food from the sub-continent generally. Most so-called "Indian" restaurants here are actually Bangladeshi or Gujerati and use meats like chicken and lamb - authentic Indian food tends towards the Hindu religion and is therefore essentially vegetarian, and where you can find such places the food is wonderful. You can also find niche regional cuisines like Goan, Keralan and Sri Lankan, the first two strong on fish and seafood spiced with tamarind, and the third very hot with coconut and lemon. And if you're lucky, real Indian beer to wash it down.

Curry is probably the UK's national dish of choice these days. And I cook up a mean one myself!

nysprod
12-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Someday, someone's going to make a Chipolte Grill, but with Indian food...

Ben
12-04-2012, 06:41 AM
I know that I would say this, wouldn't I, but the UK is wonderful for Indian food and food from the sub-continent generally. Most so-called "Indian" restaurants here are actually Bangladeshi or Gujerati and use meats like chicken and lamb - authentic Indian food tends towards the Hindu religion and is therefore essentially vegetarian, and where you can find such places the food is wonderful. You can also find niche regional cuisines like Goan, Keralan and Sri Lankan, the first two strong on fish and seafood spiced with tamarind, and the third very hot with coconut and lemon. And if you're lucky, real Indian beer to wash it down.

Curry is probably the UK's national dish of choice these days. And I cook up a mean one myself!

Top Ten Most Popular UK Foods

http://www.mydish.co.uk/blog/index.php/top-ten-most-popular-uk-foods/#.UL1-s2df_4Y

robertlouis
12-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Top Ten Most Popular UK Foods

http://www.mydish.co.uk/blog/index.php/top-ten-most-popular-uk-foods/#.UL1-s2df_4Y

Hmm. Dubious sampling there, Ben. Try this.

If I was to ask you the question what is the most popular food in England? You would more than likely answer Fish and Chips, Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding or even Sausage and Mash. I am afraid to tell you that you would be wrong, oh yes, wrong! The answer is actually Indian food.

Indian food has now been favored by the British for quite some time with Chicken Tikka Masala believed to be one of the most favorite National Dishes, so much so that the British army recently replaced its customary steak and kidney pie lunch with the dish.

It is claimed that there is now in excess of 10,000 Indian restaurants up and down the country, some of which have been recognized by the Michelin Guide, which is an inventory of outstanding European restaurants. The Indian food Industry is valued at a whopping £3.2 billion in Britain alone, almost ¾ of all dining out in the country. The curry house has replaced the fish and chip shop in many of Britain’s towns and cities. Samosa's. Tandoori’s and Biryanis are now sold at every Sainsbury’s or Marks and Spencer’s stores. British airways and Virgin Atlantic even serve fragrant curries on their flights.

Indian restaurants have had an upgrade in latter years with designer inspired interiors and smooth service. For years Indian food was known as a quick cheap meal after a night out of socializing with friends, but this is not the case any longer. Indian restaurants are now one of the chic places to be seen.

The minute the plane touches down in England, for my family and I the countdown begins. How many Indian restaurants can we dine at during this visit home, will we ever tire of Indian food, no I can honestly say I don’t think we ever will.

It was only since moving to the States that I have started to cook Indian food at home, I just love the aroma of all the fragrant spices blending together. I guess for many years I just shied away from making curries, often believing that my talents were not up to the challenge, but I am so pleased to say that with patience and practice I am getting there. I have found so many delicious recipes on this site and of course there is many more to try, one of the reasons why Friday’s are now Indian nights.

JenniferParisHusband
12-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Someday, someone's going to make a Chipolte Grill, but with Indian food...

I'd invest in that. And I'd probably eat there a lot. By the way, the Asian type Chipotle thing Shophouse, is excellent. I was there the last time I was in DC. I think that eventually, it's going to be big too.

Ben, who is the model in your avatar? It's small and hard to see.

Prospero
12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I love Indian food and as it so long and well established here in the UK that calling it "indian" food is a bit like lumping together Scandinavian, italian, French, greek, Spanish and german food and calling it "European" food. There is a huge range of different cuisines from the indan sub continent and many restaurants of the very finest kind in the UK now serving southern indian food, vegetarian food etc etc.

Most are better than this place reported in today's Independent newspaper!

London restaurant owner batters rat to death in the middle of environmental health inspection

Rajakumar Rajalingam has been ordered to pay nearly £20,000 in fines and court costs after pleading guilty to a string of food safety and trading standards offences.

There’s a rat in the kitchen what am I going to do? It is the question no self-respecting take away owner ever wants to find themselves asking – not least during a food hygiene visit from the local environmental health inspector.

But unfortunately for the proprietor of the New Chutney Express in Tooting, south London, the decision to fix that rat left him with a £20,000 fine and costs as well as a pool of blood on the floor.

In shocking scenes inspectors from Wandsworth Council were left recoiling in horror as Rajakumar Rajalingam killed a rodent in front of them. And despite his best efforts to quell the untimely infestation, officers watched as more rats appeared.

One inspector nearly trod on one as he tried to avoid the oncoming invasion, it was claimed. The officers later said they had never witnessed anything like it during a routine inspection and ordered the premises to be closed down until they were properly cleaned.

Rajalingam admitted a string of food hygiene breaches and a trading standards offence at Kingston Crown Court last week. Passing sentence the judge described the takeaway owner’s actions as “disgraceful” and said he should be “heartily ashamed of himself”.

He added he had “brought the restaurant business into disrepute” and put the “public at risk of serious illness”.

The court had earlier heard Rajalingam was using a nearby business unit to prepare dishes for the takeout on Tooting High Street. Environmental health officers discovered the unit overrun with rats and mice - their droppings visible in food preparation areas and shelves.

There was also evidence that chicken bones had been gnawed. It is believed the rodents had found their way into the kitchen through an uncovered drain beneath a hand washing sink.

Rajalingam, who had previously faced legal action from Wandsworth Council in 2007 for selling counterfeit champagne, was also fined £5,000 for selling fake Jacob's Creek wine in his shop.

The council's spokesman on consumer protection Cllr Jonathan Cook said: “This was a shocking catalogue of hygiene and food safety breaches. These premises were in a truly appalling state and posed an unacceptable danger to public health.

”The judge was quite right when he told Mr Rajalingam that he should be ashamed of himself.

He added: “The inevitable consequence of such neglect may now result in lost earnings at his restaurant. For that Mr Rajalingam has only himself to blame. This should of course act as a warning to other food retailers who are prepared to play fast and loose with food safety laws.”

Donkey
12-04-2012, 04:33 PM
On another note, what's with all these foot massage businesses that have recently popped up in LA? It seems like there is one on every corner in some areas.

Willie Escalade
12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Ben, who is the model in your avatar? It's small and hard to see.
Jonelle Brooks

Dino Velvet
12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
On another note, what's with all these foot massage businesses that have recently popped up in LA? It seems like there is one on every corner in some areas.

Lots of Foot Massage and Thai Massage. Hard to tell what goes on in there. As far as massage parlors, the Korean places that are still open are full service with the Chinese ones giving out hand jobs. I've heard of some handies given out in the Thai places but it's hit and miss.