PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Cohen is off my bucketlist!!!

GroobySteven
11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
I've just got back from seeing Leonard Cohen whom I never thought I'd get the chance to see. Absolutely brilliant - if he's near you sell your girlfriend to get a ticket. The guy is 78 and played for 3 hrs, stunning and sublime. I'm biased as I'm a fan already but truly one of the best shows I've seen.

So only Tom Waits and Pink Floyd left and my concert bucketlist is complete!

Prospero
11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Tom Waits is, for me, the big one yet to net. Saw the Pink Floyd several times in clubs during their Syd Barrett years! (yes - I'm slightly old) I was there in the sixties AND i remember them.

Cohen has flowered into brilliance in the second half of his career. i used to find his first couple of albums a bit adolescent. But I'm unusual in that. They

martin48
11-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I saw him recently - yes, three hours non-stop. Great. Brilliant tracks on his recent album - Going Home, The Darkness, Crazy to Love You.

He reaches deep into the soul

freedom
11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Spot on Sean! I saw him a couple years ago when he came out to Australia. WAS astounded how much energy and charisma he still had on stage.

One of the top concerts i've ever been to. And of course what an incredible catalogue of songs he's got to draw from.

RallyCola
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
i've seen roger waters twice. does that count since he sings the catalog?

Prospero
11-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Roger is probably the one guy who can fly the flag for Floyd since his co-founder Syd Barrett died some years ago -and had long since left the group because of profound mental health problems.

The band post Barrett were very different. He had a sort of Acid inspired whimsy.

Ecstatic
11-06-2012, 09:45 PM
I've just got back from seeing Leonard Cohen whom I never thought I'd get the chance to see. Absolutely brilliant - if he's near you sell your girlfriend to get a ticket. The guy is 78 and played for 3 hrs, stunning and sublime. I'm biased as I'm a fan already but truly one of the best shows I've seen.

My wife and I are seeing Leonard Cohen next month in Boston. I kicked myself for passing up his last tour, so beautifully captured on the Live in London CD and DVD. One of my heroes who I've never seen.

Just over two weeks before I see another of my faves from the 60s who somehow over the years I kept missing, Neil Young. In September I finally caught Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger since I'd never seen the Doors (superb show), and in February I'm finally seeing the Who (the week after the Tranny Awards).

maxpower
11-06-2012, 10:59 PM
The Who are doing a Quadrophenia tour, right?

robertlouis
11-07-2012, 03:58 AM

I saw LC at Princes St Gardens at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago and would agree with everyone else. Sublime command of the stage and a very memorable evening. How he ever became dismissed as "Gloom From a Room" is beyond me - there's plenty of dark, bitter humour in his songs.

robertlouis
11-07-2012, 03:59 AM

You mean the 50% who are still alive?

BTW, Pete Townshend has just published his autobiography in the UK to very good reviews. Apparently it's searingly honest and his views on rock excess are pretty interesting.

maxpower
11-07-2012, 04:32 AM
You mean the 50% who are still alive?

BTW, Pete Townshend has just published his autobiography in the UK to very good reviews. Apparently it's searingly honest and his views on rock excess are pretty interesting.

Yes, I guess that would be Duophenia then, wouldn't it? They do have Ringo Starr's son as their drummer, though. Townshend's book was just released over here as well. I definitely plan to pick it up.

robertlouis
11-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Yes, I guess that would be Duophenia then, wouldn't it? They do have Ringo Starr's son as their drummer, though. Townshend's book was just released over here as well. I definitely plan to pick it up.

I quite fancy the Townshend book too, but as a Neil Young nut, I'm more than tempted to get his autobiography.

As for bucket lists, I'll never fulfil the top one on mine, to see The Band live with the original line-up. Only Garth and Robbie left now.

GroobySteven
11-07-2012, 05:27 AM
I've seen The Who twice - the first time only a week after Jon Entwhistle died and they were excellent. Zak Starkey has been drumming with them for a long time.

BiBoyinBeantown
11-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Glad I saw Frank Zappa when he was still with us.

maxpower
11-07-2012, 07:12 AM
I've seen The Who twice - the first time only a week after Jon Entwhistle died and they were excellent. Zak Starkey has been drumming with them for a long time.

Yep, I know Zak has been their drummer for a while now. I like him better than Kenny Jones, who I always thought was kind of bland and uninspired; although to be fair, he did have the difficult task of replacing Keith Moon. Moonie will always be king.

maxpower
11-07-2012, 07:13 AM
I quite fancy the Townshend book too, but as a Neil Young nut, I'm more than tempted to get his autobiography.

As for bucket lists, I'll never fulfil the top one on mine, to see The Band live with the original line-up. Only Garth and Robbie left now.

New Crazy Horse album just released, too.

jdfp
11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Seanchai, love your sites. I always thought you had the best job in the world. You were/are my hero. Been very jealous of you for years. Even got to shake your hand at a party in NYC years ago. Never thought ANYTHING about my life could compete with yours.

But, I've seen both Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits several times. Saw Pink Floyd 3 times. Caught the "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" tours. Saw Floyd at Yankee Stadium, I think it was after Roger Waters left the band.

Just to rub it in, I was in the music business and received all the tickets for FREE. I'm ashamed of myself for gloating, not attractive.

Hope you get to cross Pink Floyd off your bucket list.

GroobySteven
11-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Seanchai, love your sites. I always thought you had the best job in the world. You were/are my hero. Been very jealous of you for years. Even got to shake your hand at a party in NYC years ago. Never thought ANYTHING about my life could compete with yours.

But, I've seen both Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits several times. Saw Pink Floyd 3 times. Caught the "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" tours. Saw Floyd at Yankee Stadium, I think it was after Roger Waters left the band.

Just to rub it in, I was in the music business and received all the tickets for FREE. I'm ashamed of myself for gloating, not attractive.

Hope you get to cross Pink Floyd off your bucket list.

Ouch that is gloating!!! I was only 3 when the Dark Side of the Moon tour was on though. I don't think it would be impossible for them to do reform for a proper gig (Live8 was great) but maybe unlikely.
That must have been sometime ago in NYC?

Ecstatic
11-07-2012, 06:57 PM

That's right, playing the entire double album plus an extended set.

Jenni S
11-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Leonard Cohen is great, I nearly put First We Take Manhattan in the Songs about Revenge thread. Not seen him live though.

Stavros
11-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Tom Waits is, for me, the big one yet to net. Saw the Pink Floyd several times in clubs during their Syd Barrett years! (yes - I'm slightly old) I was there in the sixties AND i remember them.

Cohen has flowered into brilliance in the second half of his career. i used to find his first couple of albums a bit adolescent. But I'm unusual in that. They

Suzanne, Hey that's No Way To Say Goodbye, Sisters of Mercy, Bird on a Wire, The Old Revolution --you may have been adolescent when you heard them, they may even induce an asolescent whimsy in you now, but the songs are not; surprised at this comment.

Probably best not to mention The Who, if it really is music that is under discussion...I might get banned.

martin48
11-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Suzanne, Hey that's No Way To Say Goodbye, Sisters of Mercy, Bird on a Wire, The Old Revolution --you may have been adolescent when you heard them, they may even induce an asolescent whimsy in you now, but the songs are not; surprised at this comment.

Probably best not to mention The Who, if it really is music that is under discussion...I might get banned.

The classic line is still "I hurt in the places where I used to play."

yourdaddy
11-07-2012, 09:58 PM
"The Gypsy's Wife" is powerful stuff !!! Leonard Cohen - The Gypsy's Wife - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1drdq7MX28Y)

dryriser
11-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Was fortunate enough to catch him in London in September. Stunning just stunning. Catch him while you can, even if your not a fan, I guarantee you will come away impressed.