PDA

View Full Version : Soup kitchen used by Ryan in photo op is shut down

Prospero
10-20-2012, 06:12 PM
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/ayn-rand-would-be-proud-soup-kitchen-paul-ryans-photo-op-loses-funds-gets-attack-0?akid=9554.261609.PRtDpD&rd=1&src=newsletter730070&t=2

[B]Ayn Rand Would Be Proud: Soup Kitchen in Paul Ryan's Photo Op Loses Funds, Gets Attacked By Conservative Trolls

Ryan's political theater has jeopardized donations to the food bank.
October 19, 2012 |

Last weekend, Paul Ryan demonstrated his compassion for the poor by rolling up his sleeves at an Ohio soup kitchen and faking a photo op. The VP candidate waltzed into a Cleveland-area Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society well after everyone had eaten and left, and washed some pans that may or may not have already been cleaned while reporters took pictures.

In addition to widespread mockery, Ryan's half-assed attempt to simulate concern for the poor for 15 minutes drew an angry response from the President of the facility, Brian J. Antal, who told the Washington Post that Ryan's slimy political theater might jeopardize donations to the food bank. “We’re a faith-based organization; we are apolitical because the majority of our funding is from private donations,” he said. " ... we "can’t afford to lose funding from these private individuals.”

As it turns out, the privilege of being Ryan's background scenery has already taken a toll on the organization. Antal told the Huffington Post t hat many donors have fled, leading to a loss of funds.

"It appears to be a substantial amount," Antal told the Huffington Post. "You can rest assured there has been a substantial backlash."

On top of all that, deranged conservatives have been harassing volunteers, Antal claims:

Ryan supporters have now targeted Antal and his soup kitchen, Antal said, including making hundreds of angry phone calls. Some members of Antal's volunteer staff have had to endure the barrage as well, he said. "The sad part is a lot of [the callers] want to hide behind anonymity," he said, adding that if someone leaves their name and number he has tried to return their call.

It's almost as if Ryan has staged an elaborate tribute to Ayn Rand, whose philosophy denigrates people who help the needy; people like Antal, who told the Huffington Post that his job does not come with a salary. But David Gibson, writing on Commonweal, makes the great point that the entire sorry episode actually undermines one of the main tenets of Ryan's other religion. The VP candidate's interpretation of the Catholic social gospel, notes Gibson, is that faith-based groups and individuals should be the needy's safety net instead of government. As Gibson writes, the exodus of donors from the Ohio food bank shows just how misguided that is in the real world:

People, even people of faith, don’t consistently fulfill that responsibility. They — we — are flawed human beings who nurse grudges and lash out when angry. We can go blithely on our way, to the next task, the next meal, the next campaign stop — and the vulnerable suffer. Private charity is not a safety net. Government support is indispensable. The parable of Paul Ryan and the soup kitchen should demonstrate this if nothing else.

To make a donation to the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, money can be sent to P.O. Box 224, Youngstown, Ohio 44501. Donations also may be made online . Online donors should specify that their donations are for the Youngstown, Ohio, soup kitchen.

broncofan
10-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Interesting article. I think Ayn Rand would have been ashamed of Ryan for even taking fifteen minutes from what I know of her philosophy. It seems like her philosophy expresses itself not just in the political arena but social and academic as well. People tend to not see the value of providing for others or solving large scale problems. Instead it's about megalomania, achieving that one thing that defines someone as great.

Jamie Michelle's thread provides a great example of this. How is that if not ambitious. She literally thinks she has the theory of everything, that it's not accepted by anyone because of their intellectual limitations but uniquely understood by her.

On the other hand, social justice is an important concept to us lefties. I love the arts and I do value geniuses like Shakespeare or Franz Kafka, but such genius is not a virtue but a gift to humanity. For the rest of us, volunteering at a soup kitchen, trying to point out injustices where we see them is the gift we can offer. It's part of the natural order of things to want to give back; who cares if you can run a two hour and fifty minute marathon if you have no conscience and no soul.

Prospero
10-20-2012, 08:00 PM
You know I saw King Lear recently in London (great production) and it struck me that the cruelty of Regan and Goneril to their foolish father expresses, rather neatly, the attitude of Ryan and the new hard right to the poor and unfortunate of America.. it is their own fault. These are pertinent lines given to Regan by the Bard.

"O, sir, to wilful men,
The injuries that they themselves procure
Must be their schoolmasters."

broncofan
10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
On a side note Prospero,
I cannot watch a Shakespeare play or film based on the play without first having read it. It is not a pretentious thing where I think the work is somehow diluted in the production but because my American ears literally will not pick up or understand enough of it. As a result, I could only watch Macbeth, Hamlet, Henry V, Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar, and Taming of the Shrew.

Would love to see some of my favorites in London but I'm terrified you folks still have those all male acting troupes;) Can just imagine Jason Statham playing Lady Macbeth:cry

I like the quote though.

Prospero
10-20-2012, 08:31 PM
LOL - all male troupes. They do once in a blue moon (and all male ballet too - Swan Lake would you believe) but this was not one of them. it was a wonderful performance by the actor Jonathan Pryce - and I saw him when he was young do the best Hamlet i've ever seen. Yes - if it's a play I've not seen before i always read it first.

broncofan
10-20-2012, 08:37 PM
LOL - all male troupes. They do once in a blue moon (and all male ballet too - Swan Lake would you believe) but this was not one of them. it was a wonderful performance by the actor Jonathan Pryce - and I saw him when he was young do the best Hamlet i've ever seen. Yes - if it's a play I've not seen before i always read it first.
Jonathan Pryce is quite an actor. Growing up before I saw him for the first time in Evita and then Ronin, he was the guy who did the Infiniti car commercials. This excellent actor recognizable to me only because he pitched a pretty good imported car.:-)

Prospero
10-20-2012, 08:38 PM
LOL... well he has gotta earn a living.

maxpower
10-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Not to derail the thread further (as it is a political thread), but do not forget Jonathan Pryce's amazing performance in Terry Gilliam's Brazil, one of my favorite films of all time. And it's still a politically relevant film today.

Prospero
10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
I had forgotten that and, yes, he was terrific,

danthepoetman
10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Results of Paul Ryan’s soup kitchen stunt (no chicken soup for the "soul").
Warning: graphic images…