PDA

View Full Version : Like/Dislike - Thumbs up or Down?

GroobySteven
10-11-2012, 12:37 PM
As requested we now have a thumbs up or thumbsdown on each post. Don't use this instead of responding but where a response isn't necessary but you like the post or hate it - give it a thumb!

tsadriana
10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I think is a brilliant idea.

Prospero
10-11-2012, 02:08 PM
It doesn't seem to apply retrospectively. I responded to a few posts - and looked to see if I could now give the thumbs up or down and the little logos aren't there?

Willie Escalade
10-11-2012, 02:14 PM
You need a middle finger icon lol
:joke:

Jericho
10-11-2012, 02:30 PM
How do you turn it off in notifications?

Jericho
10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
you need a middle finger icon lol

qft!

Jericho
10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
And turn the CAPS back on, dammit!

Prospero
10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Actually this is going to annoy a lot of people - when people click to say they find postings helpful or unhelpful and get a notifiaction. Notifications should be for messages generally.

GroobySteven
10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Actually this is going to annoy a lot of people - when people click to say they find postings helpful or unhelpful and get a notifiaction. Notifications should be for messages generally.

Yeah just discovered this and going to see if it can be disabled,

GroobySteven
10-11-2012, 03:06 PM
yeah just discovered this and going to see if it can be disabled,

done!

rodinuk
10-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Are you rolling it out to the other forums?

trish
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Just noticed it, but I think it's a great idea. I also like the middle finger option too.
Question: Do we now have to go back through the archives and rate every post? :)

GroobySteven
10-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Are you rolling it out to the other forums?

The other forums on hungangels? Yes.

GoddessAthena85
10-11-2012, 05:49 PM
:iagree:

GroobySteven
10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
:iagree:

Did you read the next notice ... where that feature has been removed?

:thumbsdown

danthepoetman
10-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I guess that, as for many new usages, only practice will tell. If it’s annoying, people won’t use it or will ignore whatever comes off it. If it isn’t, we might all have lots of fun with it. In any case, it will give us a sense of how much what we say touches people or not, which is never something bad.

TempestTS
10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Do I need to go buy a red and green glove for this or can I just click - kinda need to know the pre holiday sales are happening LOL

GoddessAthena85
10-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Did you read the next notice ... where that feature has been removed?

:thumbsdown
After the fact Lol. Lunch break I was perusing quickly. my bad

Dino Velvet
10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Let's see what happens.

Thumbs down to Prospero's elevator music.

10 Hours of elevator music..... Going â–² - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PvBzDlZGs)

tsadriana
10-11-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCc3IYvoAOM

loveboof
10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Would it be easy to keep track of the votes so we could see a ratio of positive/negative posts from each member on their profile?

Dino Velvet
10-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Where's the like button for Eye-Talian Iceholes?

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/customavatars/avatar85270_143.gif

loveboof
10-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Ok, so looks like you guys don't like the idea of keeping track of the votes in the statistics section of your profile...

How bout this then: The highest rated post each week gets quoted in a special stickied thread. Or perhaps you could make a banner for it somewhere? I think it could make the forums a bit more interactive and exciting.

sukumvit boy
10-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Thumbs signal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumbs_signal)
In ancient Rome 'thumbs down' by the crowd was used to instruct the victor "stick your sword in the ground and spare the condemed".
'Thumbs up' was, " kill the condemed", by stabbing upward through the throat.

GroobySteven
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Would it be easy to keep track of the votes so we could see a ratio of positive/negative posts from each member on their profile?
Helpful Posts stats are now enabled on your profile page under the statistics tab
Russ: ie. on your profile page it now says, on the Statistics tab:
seanchai's Posts have been rated good 22 out of 24 times.

GroobySteven
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Ok, so looks like you guys don't like the idea of keeping track of the votes in the statistics section of your profile...

How bout this then: The highest rated post each week gets quoted in a special stickied thread. Or perhaps you could make a banner for it somewhere? I think it could make the forums a bit more interactive and exciting.

It's not a competition.

loveboof
10-12-2012, 03:46 PM
It's not a competition.

Fair enough. I have seen it work well on another forum where the best posts are listed on the homepage, but with the blog being the HA first page I suppose you wouldn't want to mess with that.

One last thing, do you think the question should be 'do you like this post?' because that seems to be the way everyone is using it (regardless of how helpful posts are...)

loveboof
10-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Do think it would be good (or possible) to see who 'like' certain posts by clicking on the green numbers?

For example, on facebook you can hover the mouse over the thumbs up or click it to see who has liked something...

Jericho
10-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Do think it would be good (or possible) to see who 'like' certain posts by clicking on the green numbers?

For example, on facebook you can hover the mouse over the thumbs up or click it to see who has liked something...

That could be interesting if it works the same way with the thumbs down! :hide-1:

loveboof
10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
That could be interesting if it works the same way with the thumbs down! :hide-1:

Yeah I agree... why shouldn't we be able to see who likes/dislikes our specific posts?

I know it's not meant to replace actual commenting, but I have definitely 'liked' posts without leaving a comment about it - so I guess everyone does it too!

(I'm fine with it being anonymous too, I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on this)

flabbybody
10-24-2012, 07:53 PM

not a fan how facebook lists your name when you click like.
I prefer being anonymous

Wendy Summers
10-24-2012, 08:13 PM

wut? We can't tell which posters are normally negative? :dancing::dancing::dancing:

Willie Escalade
10-24-2012, 10:08 PM
wut? We can't tell which posters are normally negative? :dancing::dancing::dancing:
Thumbs up!

Wendy Summers
10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Thumbs up!

apparently not -- that post got downvoted.

Ah well... haters gonna hate.

joeninety
10-24-2012, 10:25 PM
I think its a good idea in principle but feel its in need of a little refinement, like letting those that have posted see who has thumbed up or thumbed down their post, I think that could make things interesting.

joeninety
10-24-2012, 10:30 PM
apparently not -- that post got downvoted.

Ah well... haters gonna hate.

Well you get my thumb up, I am all in favour of the haters losing their right to anonymity;)

trish
10-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Instead of just a report like "you have been rated good x times out of y times," I would also like a spread sheet telling me which post (with a link) got rated good u times out of v as well as who rated the post and which way they rated it.

Just kidding. It's fine the way it is.

Wendy Summers
10-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Well you get my thumb up, I am all in favour of the haters losing their right to anonymity;)

No - public awareness will just lead to more butt hurt... and I'm not a fan of butt hurt.

Butt fun however... :fuckin::fuckin:

bat1
10-25-2012, 12:37 AM
You need a middle finger icon lol
:joke:

I think you been in LA to long:clover:

joeninety
10-25-2012, 01:00 AM
No - public awareness will just lead to more butt hurt... and I'm not a fan of butt hurt.

Butt fun however... :fuckin::fuckin:

Oooh I like you, step this way and we can go and have some Butt fun :fuckin::salad:fuckin:

loveboof
11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I see where you're going with this.
"But, what if they genuinely dislike every post?"
That's a little hard to believe when a single person downvotes every post in a thread with no mind paid to their content. You'd think somebody who so vehemently opposes a topic matter would agree with arguments posed against it. That hasn't been the case, though.

Well that's part of what I was saying.

How do you know it's a single person, how do you know they have 'paid no mind' to the content before voting, and how do you know the person is vehement in their opposition to a comment rather than just disliking something about it?

My main point was how can you abuse a system were we all get one vote and the criteria is simply whether we like something or not.

I understand that technically it is an 'abuse' of the system if people are disliking comments which they actually like, but again there's no way to know that!

I think the system is fine. There is definitely a case to be made for transparency in the votes, but even with that I don't think we should be calling for mod enforcement on this system. People should feel free to use the features which are available to them.

trish
11-09-2012, 05:20 PM
They're just silly numbers on a counter, it's difficult to get all that upset about them whether they're "abused" or not. I think we should make it more interesting; e.g. after a period of time the points can be turned in for a free blow job, an ass reaming or cash prizes. Those with a net negative count have to put out.

Prospero
11-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Great idea trish. Do the winners also get to choose who they make out with?

I think the little voting thing is a waste of time since you have no idea who has voted for you - and some people probably vote you down whenever they see a post by you on principle.

Dino Velvet
11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Great idea trish. Do the winners also get to choose who they make out with?

I think the little voting thing is a waste of time since you have no idea who has voted for you - and some people probably vote you down whenever they see a post by you on principle.

Agreed.

As for me, I don't think I've given anyone a thumbs down but I do congratulate people when they do good. I'm not using the grading system as intended.

trish
11-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Management will have to work out the details on who the prizes are and who gets them.

I find myself actually using the little thumbs. It's usually when I feel like commenting but I'm too lazy to actually comment.

Dino Velvet
11-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I find myself actually using the little thumbs. It's usually when I feel like commenting but I'm too lazy to actually comment.

I think that's when it works better. Some posts are better to comment with a yay or nay then having to take the time and effort to respond.

trish
11-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Yay.

Dino Velvet
11-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Yay.

And back atcha, my dear.:cheers:

Jericho
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Those with a net negative count have to put out.

Not sure i like that idea...I could be spending a lot of time in the barrel! :hide-1:

sukumvit boy
10-21-2015, 03:28 AM
Would someone please tell me how one can see who voted thumbs up or down on a post ?
I once knew how to do that on the old format ,but don't how to do it now.

fred41
10-21-2015, 03:43 AM
Would someone please tell me how one can see who voted thumbs up or down on a post ?

All the way up on the top right menu...(right after 'my profile' but before 'Log Out') click settings..
Then on the settings page, on the left hand margin menu, find 'My Ratings' and click on : Who Rated Me?
...enjoy.

Ben in LA
10-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Now that we've had it for awhile I'm not really feeling it due to haters abusing it.

trish
10-21-2015, 04:23 PM

All the way up on the top right menu...(right after 'my profile' but before 'Log Out') click settings..
Then on the settings page, on the left hand margin menu, find 'My Ratings' and click on : Who Rated Me?
...enjoy.Good luck on the enjoy part. Like Ben says, there are a few of abusers out there. However, the new system doesn't keep a running tally of your average rating (at least as far as I know), which in my mind is a good thing. I was never a fan of the running average (% of rated posts that were 'good'). Personally, I've stopped using the thumbs-down for some time now. It makes no sense to down-thumb an argument and not take the time to specify which points or faux deductions you take exception with. And it's just mean to down-thumb someone's picture. I do use the thumbs-up button almost every time I visit the boards to say: I enjoyed the pictures, I thought the joke was funny, I liked your story, or I think your arguments are sound.

maxpower
10-21-2015, 04:32 PM
The overall tally is in the "My Profile" section under the "About Me" tab.

broncofan
10-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Yeah as Maxpower said, it still does have overall tally. You're doing very well Trish. Try not to let your performance slip:tongue:

trish
10-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Damn it! You guys had to tell me that?! If this girl can't get an A+ she ain't happy! I'm never going to My Profile/About again.

sukumvit boy
10-22-2015, 02:51 AM
Thanks folks .:Bowdown:
LOL ,I'm such a Luddite , somebody had to teach me how to answer my new cell phone , i'd hit that big red phone button when the thing rang , and disconnect the call .:shrug