PDA

View Full Version : The X Factor 2012 (UK)

Stavros
10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
This year among the changes the X Factor has allowed people to bring their own songs, while some were encouraged by researchers from the programme makers to audition for the show. The result is that two of the songs are actually worth listening to, and are linked below -I do wonder if 16 is too young an age to be plunged into showbusiness. The girl -Ella Henderson- has a good voice, but lacking in depth, but the song is ok. The other one, Lucy Spraggan has written an amusing if bitter song but I don't see how she will progress though a competition that has different genres which won't suit her.
This year's novelty act is an hysterical young man who I think is gay....watch and learn...

Any favourites? Or is this programme now just beyond redemption?

Ella Henderson's audition - The X Factor UK 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9cK_n1mlg)

Lucy Spraggan's audition - Last Night - The X Factor UK 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i3qeErUaFo&feature=relmfu)

Must Watch! Rylan Clark and Adam Burridge's Answer - Judges House's - The X Factor 2012 - - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avg8xta-YFQ)

Prospero
10-05-2012, 07:02 PM
There are plenty of precedents for being plunged into showbiz a lot earlier than 16. Judy Garland. Shirley Temple, Jodie Foster. Tatum O'Neill. Mickey Dolenz. Stevie Womder. Michael Jackson etc etc

Stavros
10-05-2012, 07:22 PM
And the consequences?

maxpower
10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't get it. You are the most outspoken pop-culture critic around here and have very refined tastes, but yet you watch utter drivel like The X Factor?

Willie Escalade
10-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Use AutoTune!

robertlouis
10-06-2012, 02:45 AM
As someone who makes a living by writing and performing my own music, I have a certain professional, if largely detached, interest in contests like this.

If they are now allowing contestants to perform their own songs, that has to be an improvement - it was simply shite karaoke before, albeit with the additional element of delusional desperation.

However, it's the obvious and cynical manoeuvring and manipulation behind the scenes that I hate most of all.

There's plenty of real talent to enjoy in clubs and pubs without this pathetic circus. If people would get off their arses and listen to live music the world would be a happier place.

maxpower
10-06-2012, 07:07 AM
There's plenty of real talent to enjoy in clubs and pubs without this pathetic circus. If people would get off their arses and listen to live music the world would be a happier place.

Hear, hear! :cheers:

Stavros
10-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't get it. You are the most outspoken pop-culture critic around here and have very refined tastes, but yet you watch utter drivel like The X Factor?

I tend to watch the earlier parts of the show, as I am open minded on all kinds of singing, and you never know, maybe there will actually be someone who can sing -I don't like the format of the show and think it is quite stale by now. Most of the people involved cannot sing, but I do think credit should be given where its due -Lucy Spraggan's song is clever and well-written and even sung, by her, but its not much of a voice really. I am not immune to popular culture, even if I do find most of it superficial, and otherwise avoid it. I do not watch Strictly Come Dancing, for example. There are limits.

Stavros
10-06-2012, 07:28 AM
As someone who makes a living by writing and performing my own music, I have a certain professional, if largely detached, interest in contests like this.

If they are now allowing contestants to perform their own songs, that has to be an improvement - it was simply shite karaoke before, albeit with the additional element of delusional desperation.

However, it's the obvious and cynical manoeuvring and manipulation behind the scenes that I hate most of all.

I agree that the format of the show is terrible, and isn't even about the music, but would you not at least agree that Spraggans song is clever and well done? As it happens I think she might have been able to get on without appearing on the show. But you are right about the alternatives -but what proportion of people go to live music in clubs and pubs? Isn't it disco that destroyed live music, rather than tv? I try to avoid pubs as much as I can, only going to football matches.

robertlouis
10-06-2012, 07:51 AM
I agree that the format of the show is terrible, and isn't even about the music, but would you not at least agree that Spraggans song is clever and well done? As it happens I think she might have been able to get on without appearing on the show. But you are right about the alternatives -but what proportion of people go to live music in clubs and pubs? Isn't it disco that destroyed live music, rather than tv? I try to avoid pubs as much as I can, only going to football matches.

I'm steeling myself to give her song a listen, and I'll let you know. However, one swallow is unlikely to make a summer.

As it happens, Matt Cardle, who won the thing a few years ago, has a good pedigree as a band member and solo singer-songwriter. I met him and played at various venues with him in the pre-X Factor days. He was good, and talented. He had a pretty good voice, was a genuinely nice guy, knew his guitar licks and wrote some reasonable songs. So for those who knew him, his victory was painful and joyful at the same time - pleased that he won, sorry about the terrible straitjacket that Cowell puts on all his puppets.

I sincerely hope that one day he'll walk away from the tinsel and pick up his guitar again. Wait and see.

Prospero
10-06-2012, 08:10 AM
It's a hideous and updated version of Opportunity Knocks

And as for the consequences - well a couple of those child stars became adult trainwrecks. But I see no issues with Jodie Foster, Stevie Wonder, Petula Clark (missed her off the list) Mickey Dolenz, Shirley Temple (later a US ambassador)....

Stavros
12-08-2012, 07:24 AM
The 2012 edition of The X Factor closes this weekend, having seen audiences and advertising revenue fall sharply. I had thought that allowing singers to perform their own songs would make it more interesting, whereas it happened just the once. At least one of them, Lucie Spraggan had the good sense to fall ill and leave the show, which has become one of the worst examples of amateur night and is actually unbearable -there are three male performers left, if they formed a boy band it would be called Squeak, Groan and Growl, if that didn't sound like a dodgy legal practice. At least lovers of this kind of programme will have their Christmas tv delight when Simon Cowell puts on a canine X Factor show called That Dog Can Dance! All we need now are a couple of warbling chihuahuahs and a golden retriever who can samba all night and the purpose of television, like newspapers and journalists, can sink into oblivion. Is it just me or is there a depressing lack of talent in this country in light entertainment?

robertlouis
12-10-2012, 05:57 AM
The 2012 edition of The X Factor closes this weekend, having seen audiences and advertising revenue fall sharply. I had thought that allowing singers to perform their own songs would make it more interesting, whereas it happened just the once. At least one of them, Lucie Spraggan had the good sense to fall ill and leave the show, which has become one of the worst examples of amateur night and is actually unbearable -there are three male performers left, if they formed a boy band it would be called Squeak, Groan and Growl, if that didn't sound like a dodgy legal practice. At least lovers of this kind of programme will have their Christmas tv delight when Simon Cowell puts on a canine X Factor show called That Dog Can Dance! All we need now are a couple of warbling chihuahuahs and a golden retriever who can samba all night and the purpose of television, like newspapers and journalists, can sink into oblivion. Is it just me or is there a depressing lack of talent in this country in light entertainment?

It has become today's equivalent of the depression-era dance marathons of the 1930s and its continuing survival is symptomatic of a society whose sick thirst for celebrity seemingly knows no bounds.

The fact that the singers are all in the main unpleasant, vacuous and talentfree gobshites doesn't help either.

Stavros
12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Spot on, Robert, and can you believe that the Maloney bloke had the highest vote for 7 weeks in a row? I used to think the show was won or lost on the teens phoning in, but I guess they have been replaced by grannies. I wouldn't want to deprive someone who can sing the opportunity to get ahead, but other than that single brilliant song by Lucie Spraggan, this turned out to be a dire series and I stopped watching it. I used to live in a bedsit as well; I loved me nan too, I did silly things when I was teenager, Bill Wyman briefly lived around the corner from our 'ouse; I met Eric Clapton when I was 16 but it didnt change my life -or his; I am in a rock video too, but in an unexpected manner...I don't even have the Y factor, so that's it for another season, if there is one...