PDA

View Full Version : The Scary Consequence of Getting High

natina
10-02-2012, 06:32 AM
The Scary Consequence of Getting High

Marijuana: a real ball-buster. In a new study in the journal Cancer, men who reported smoking pot in the past were twice as likely to have certain types of testicular cancer (http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/solve_health_worries/Testicular_Cancer.php?cm_mmc=MSN-_-MH_News-_-The%20Scary%20Consequence%20of%20Getting%20High-_-Your%20Biggest%20Health%20Worries_Solved) than those who claimed they had never touched the stuff.
Researchers compared the recreational drug use history of 163 men with testicular cancer to that of 292 healthy men of the same age and race. The results? Occasional pot use was linked with an increased risk of testicular cancer subtypes called non-seminoma and mixed germ cell tumors, which can both have a worse prognosis than more common seminoma types.
Researchers aren't sure why hitting the bong can lead to a hit below the belt, but Victoria Cortessis, MSPH, Ph.D., an assistant professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California, speculates that your cellular network--an important aspect of sperm formation--responds to the active ingredient in marijuana called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

THC could disrupt your hormones. Studies in rodents show that pot smoke has a property that can suppress circulating testosterone, altering normal testosterone formation and sperm production. (Want stronger swimmers? Put down that joint and grab a walnut instead. After all, it is The Snack That Strengthens Your Sperm (http://news.menshealth.com/the-food-that-strengthens-your-sperm/2012/08/17/?cm_mmc=MSN-_-MH_News-_-The%20Scary%20Consequence%20of%20Getting%20High-_-The%20Snack%20That%20Strengthens%20Your%20Sperm).)
Research on marijuana's negative effects has been mixed. Some studies--including a University of California at Los Angeles analysis of 2,000 people--show no clear link between lighting up and an increased cancer risk. Other research, however, suggests that marijuana can suppress your immune system, increasing your chances of developing infection and disease. Not to mention regular tokers are more likely to experience issues in the bedroom than pot-free people, according to a 2009 study in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
While a puff or two back in college won't hurt you now, remember that pot, like most things, could be harmful in excess. (And it's still illegal--mostly.) People who get high daily are more likely to succumb to a compromised immune system than the occasional smoker, researchers say. (If you've reached Willie Nelson status, you might be harming your body in other ways. Click here to learn How Pot Damages Your Lungs (http://news.menshealth.com/news-every-pothead-must-know/2012/01/10/?cm_mmc=MSN-_-MH_News-_-The%20Scary%20Consequence%20of%20Getting%20High-_-How%20Pot%20Damages%20Your%20Lungs).)

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/men/the-scary-consequence-of-getting-high

GoddessAthena85
10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
I know I have an amazing endocrinologist, back home, and we talk honestly and openly about the desired effect I want or the effects I don't want. I was on mones for years (even in my old shoots ) with next to no results. working closely with my doctor, Living in a state where it's legal and lowering my prescription, changing my diet, and smoking regularly and as prescribed of course :) and things are right as rain.
does this mean I'mma get ball cancer?

danthepoetman
10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
It’s as always an interesting post, Natina. But you don’t need to worry too much, Athena. The incidence of testicular cancer is still quite low: 0.4%. Even if smoking regularly was doubling this incidence, it would still revolve around 0.8%... These studies show statistical numbers; nothing more.
Pot smokers should feel relatively fine with the perspective on their testicles...

youngblood61
10-02-2012, 04:43 PM
It’s as always an interesting post, Natina. But you don’t need to worry too much, Athena. The incidence of testicular cancer is still quite low: 0.4%. Even if smoking regularly was doubling this incidence, it would still revolve around 0.8%... These studies show statistical numbers; nothing more.
Pot smokers should feel relatively fine with the perspective on their testicles...That's good to know.:)

amberskyi
10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I know I have an amazing endocrinologist, back home, and we talk honestly and openly about the desired effect I want or the effects I don't want. I was on mones for years (even in my old shoots ) with next to no results. working closely with my doctor, Living in a state where it's legal and lowering my prescription, changing my diet, and smoking regularly and as prescribed of course :) and things are right as rain.
does this mean I'mma get ball cancer?

just have your balls removed...

MacShreach
10-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Bwaha lol. (ouch)

GoddessAthena85
10-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Never. I'm very attached to them

amberskyi
10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
my endo said that either getting an srs or orchi (castration) is the most healthy way of transitioning because it allows us to decreases our estrogen intake.
taking post operative doses for for the rest of our life can have serious side effects..just a little fyi...

GoddessAthena85
10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
my endo said that either getting an srs or orchi (castration) is the most healthy way of transitioning because it allows us to decreases our estrogen intake.
taking post operative doses for for the rest of our life can have serious side effects..just a little fyi...
In many ways you are correct. And it's all about the results u want and what ur willing to do.

Cutting out meant , penut butter, honey, refined sugars, increasing intake of things like pot(with a vape of course. Protect those lungs) spiriment tea etc are all great things to incorporate. But always check with your doc. Excuse typos. I loathe doing this stuff from a phone, but a girl can't be in front of a computer all the time.

jamesedwards
10-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Oh so you had the srs or testicles removed? Do you feel more comfy than before if you had them removed?

jamesedwards
10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Natina always put up some interesting news thank you you're like the Dan Rathers of HA

The Scary Consequence of Getting High

Marijuana: a real ball-buster. In a new study in the journal Cancer, men who reported smoking pot in the past were twice as likely to have certain types of testicular cancer (http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/solve_health_worries/Testicular_Cancer.php?cm_mmc=MSN-_-MH_News-_-The%20Scary%20Consequence%20of%20Getting%20High-_-Your%20Biggest%20Health%20Worries_Solved) than those who claimed they had never touched the stuff.
Researchers compared the recreational drug use history of 163 men with testicular cancer to that of 292 healthy men of the same age and race. The results? Occasional pot use was linked with an increased risk of testicular cancer subtypes called non-seminoma and mixed germ cell tumors, which can both have a worse prognosis than more common seminoma types.
Researchers aren't sure why hitting the bong can lead to a hit below the belt, but Victoria Cortessis, MSPH, Ph.D., an assistant professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California, speculates that your cellular network--an important aspect of sperm formation--responds to the active ingredient in marijuana called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

THC could disrupt your hormones. Studies in rodents show that pot smoke has a property that can suppress circulating testosterone, altering normal testosterone formation and sperm production. (Want stronger swimmers? Put down that joint and grab a walnut instead. After all, it is The Snack That Strengthens Your Sperm (http://news.menshealth.com/the-food-that-strengthens-your-sperm/2012/08/17/?cm_mmc=MSN-_-MH_News-_-The%20Scary%20Consequence%20of%20Getting%20High-_-The%20Snack%20That%20Strengthens%20Your%20Sperm).)
Research on marijuana's negative effects has been mixed. Some studies--including a University of California at Los Angeles analysis of 2,000 people--show no clear link between lighting up and an increased cancer risk. Other research, however, suggests that marijuana can suppress your immune system, increasing your chances of developing infection and disease. Not to mention regular tokers are more likely to experience issues in the bedroom than pot-free people, according to a 2009 study in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
While a puff or two back in college won't hurt you now, remember that pot, like most things, could be harmful in excess. (And it's still illegal--mostly.) People who get high daily are more likely to succumb to a compromised immune system than the occasional smoker, researchers say. (If you've reached Willie Nelson status, you might be harming your body in other ways. Click here to learn How Pot Damages Your Lungs (http://news.menshealth.com/news-every-pothead-must-know/2012/01/10/?cm_mmc=MSN-_-MH_News-_-The%20Scary%20Consequence%20of%20Getting%20High-_-How%20Pot%20Damages%20Your%20Lungs).)

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/men/the-scary-consequence-of-getting-high

cutesteph
10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I think people should be more afraid of the permanent effects that pot has on the brain from early use or excessive use.

natina
10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
News Every Pothead Must Know

If you’re worried that all those stoner years in college (or now!) have permanently damaged your lungs, fear not: A new study in this week’s Journal of the American Medical Association suggests that unless you’re reaching Willie Nelson-level pothead status, you’re probably in the clear.
The research used data from a long-running study meant to measure risk factors for coronary artery disease in healthy adults. As part of periodic exams, participants answered questions every few years on their marijuana and tobacco smoking patterns and did a couple tests of lung function meant to measure lung capacity and airflow.

Putting together 20 years of data—and using the magic of statistics to separate the effects of pot from those of tobacco, since people often smoke both—the researchers found that pot smokers seemed to have better lung function than people who didn’t smoke at all.
The performance on lung tests improved steadily until marijuana smokers hit more than 10 joint-years. (Flash back to statistics class: One joint year is the equivalent of 365 joints or filled pipe bowls smoked—so smoking 10 joints a day for 36 days would be one joint-year.) Even when they surpassed that amount, it took a good 20 to 30 joint years before lung performance dipped down to the level of non-smokers.
Study leader Stefan Kertesz, M.D., of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, says that he and his colleagues don’t think marijuana actually makes your lungs healthier—it’s an irritant, after all. But the way people smoke pot, by breathing in very deeply, may have trained participants to perform better on the tests. Either way, the effect was very small. “Don’t smoke pot if you’re trying to improve your triathlon times,” Kertesz jokes.

http://news.menshealth.com/news-every-pothead-must-know/2012/01/10/?cm_mmc=MSN-_-MH_News-_-The%20Scary%20Consequence%20of%20Getting%20High-_-How%20Pot%20Damages%20Your%20Lungs

Pot smokers should feel relatively fine with the perspective on their testicles...

ktkraft
10-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Where do people make this stuff up at? Pot has no documented evidence of any lasting side effects, only bad side effect it has is short term memory loss. and thats in the short term. I happen to be part of the worlds leading industry, working with one of the best scientist (gets personally invited to study the god particle), breakthrough engineers (leading the industry), and guess what, they allllllll smoke extreme amounts. the scientists used to do crazy amounts of acid, only stopped because there new job started drug testing. It has no effects on the brain. Healthwise do your research, not one documented death. Not one legit ( i mean something that is proven ) that it causes any ill effects.

GrimFusion
10-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I think people should be more afraid of the permanent effects that pot has on the brain from early use or excessive use.

I think you're focusing on the wrong crowd of drug users. Marijuana manipulates peptides that alter emotional response just like most any other drug but to a much, much lesser extent. There is no case evidence that marijuana has any irreversible or long-term effects on the brain, but as with any drug that increases peptide production, there's a fall-out afterward as the body tries to re-regulate those peptides naturally and that usually results in a temporary mild depression. In other words, marijuana can cause emotional withdrawl symptoms, but not physical withdrawl symptoms.

Excessive users experience short-term memory loss while stoned which can translate to issues with long-term memory recall while sober. That's only to say that stoners tend to forget about events that happen WHILE they're high. Long-term memory isn't permanently depleted and events that take place while sober are just as easily retrieved.

Dino Velvet
10-03-2012, 04:35 AM
That's a buncha hooey. Nothing wrong with me.

danthepoetman
10-03-2012, 04:39 AM
So you say...

cutesteph
10-03-2012, 05:04 AM
I think you're focusing on the wrong crowd of drug users. Marijuana manipulates peptides that alter emotional response just like most any other drug but to a much, much lesser extent. There is no case evidence that marijuana has any irreversible or long-term effects on the brain, but as with any drug that increases peptide production, there's a fall-out afterward as the body tries to re-regulate those peptides naturally and that usually results in a temporary mild depression. In other words, marijuana can cause emotional withdrawl symptoms, but not physical withdrawl symptoms.

Excessive users experience short-term memory loss while stoned which can translate to issues with long-term memory recall while sober. That's only to say that stoners tend to forget about events that happen WHILE they're high. Long-term memory isn't permanently depleted and events that take place while sober are just as easily retrieved.

I have colleagues who are working on research that is showing very strong evidence that is does effect the memory and emotional parts of the brain. I can not publish research results up to date since I do not have permission. I have an undergraduate in pure and applied math and computer science. I am working on a Ph.D. in mathematical statistics (currently have m.s.) and soon maybe a masters in EE to get into a Ph.D. in EE. So I do know statistics very well and have a very strong quanitative background. I could find little if any possible flaws or negilence in their work. You do not need to take my word for it and I do not hold it against you as I am the sketical type too without having strong evidence or proof to see.... I may be transgender, but do not assume I am not well educated.

ktkraft
10-03-2012, 05:25 AM
I have colleagues who are working on research that is showing very strong evidence that is does effect the memory and emotional parts of the brain. I can not publish research results up to date since I do not have permission. I have an undergraduate in pure and applied math and computer science. I am working on a Ph.D. in mathematical statistics (currently have m.s.) and soon maybe a masters in EE to get into a Ph.D. in EE. So I do know statistics very well and have a very strong quanitative background. I could find little if any possible flaws or negilence in their work. You do not need to take my word for it and I do not hold it against you as I am the sketical type too without having strong evidence or proof to see.... I may be transgender, but do not assume I am not well educated.

That line was uneeded as there doesnt seem to be any reference of him saying transgenders are dumb... Also your background in CS and math can only help you show if they did numbers right, not if there correctly assesing the neurological effects of marijuana on the brain. Also he said it does effect emotional parts of the brain, but only for while on the drug, and shortly after from the body stabilizing. Not long term after quitting. I was depressed for awhile after quitting smoking, because my body had ot adjust dopamine and seratonin levels again, which are already naturally low again. But within a month i was fine. And mine was extreme as i just stated i have a low state of depression normally (forgot the name for that). you have noa ctualy evidence. just stating your assumptions and "stuff you cannot state"

danthepoetman
10-03-2012, 05:35 AM
No one would assume anything like that, CuteSteph: transsexual women usually have an intelligence which is above normal, for some reason. It’s quite striking.
But today, there’s a lot of bio hazards out there, I would think. We’re just starting to study the effect of some, like for instance the many different types of xeno-estrogens. Biological and statistical studies are not only important and useful, they’re obviously necessary. But I suspect their full accuracy can only be considered relatively to the effects of every other possible substances we have in our environment and in the food we ingest. I’m not sure such studies are possible, and they would probably drive all of us insane would we be able to lead any.
My point is of course that such studies allow us to precisely take the calculated risks we are forced to take here or there in our lives. Pot isn’t good for the health. I would think alcohol is worst. Yet you won’t stop people from drinking. Too much fat is bad and so is too much sugar… er… I’m sure you see my point, Steph…

cutesteph
10-03-2012, 05:38 AM
That line was uneeded as there doesnt seem to be any reference of him saying transgenders are dumb... Also your background in CS and math can only help you show if they did numbers right, not if there correctly assesing the neurological effects of marijuana on the brain. Also he said it does effect emotional parts of the brain, but only for while on the drug, and shortly after from the body stabilizing. Not long term after quitting. I was depressed for awhile after quitting smoking, because my body had ot adjust dopamine and seratonin levels again, which are already naturally low again. But within a month i was fine. And mine was extreme as i just stated i have a low state of depression normally (forgot the name for that). you have noa ctualy evidence. just stating your assumptions and "stuff you cannot state"

I do not communicate well through typing in english as it is not my first language. I did not mean it towards him, but anyone in general who may read it. People in general assume transgenders do not have high level of education at least from the crowds I come from. My statistics background (specialization in biostatistics) allows me to assess neurological effects and have done plenty of bio and ochem course for GEs. If I publish research without given permission and somehow someone finds out, I would be in deep trouble.

GrimFusion
10-03-2012, 05:39 AM

Okay... but aren't you simply confirming everything I just said?
I mean, I did make the claim that THC effects both emotions and memory. The only thing we really seem to be arguing about is whether the effects are temporary or permanent. I'm willing to admit that they could be long-term, but I would like to see some kind of evidence that supports the theory of irreversible change due to the use of marijuana. Surely you can't be working on the only study which currently supports that evidence.

I'm in no way trying to undervalue your intelligence or education. I'm simply skeptical and inquisitive.