PDA

View Full Version : LOL.......I experienced racism earlier today................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Went into this sneaker store I usually buy kicks from. My regular salespeople weren't there, I usually go on the weekdays but I wanted to get these kicks today. The salesguy (an Arab) walked passed me twice to service some other Arab customers which I thought was comical. I am not the person to make a fuss over spending my money so on my way out the door I called Niketown and asked them to put the sneakers on the side for me, which they were happy to do. I might have been a little wrong for making that call on speakerphone while walking out the door of the store I was in but it was a simple way for me to vent a moment's frustration. There was another guy the salesguy ignored also and he laughed when the girl from Niketown was on the speakerphone, he walked out after I did.

dabaldone
03-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Good for you brother. Personally, I never spend my money when I feel that shadow of racism. I'm not an overly sensitive, conspiracy thinking person either. I did the same thing when I brought a car. I was gonig to buy a Dodge. The salesmen kept walking buy. I went next door to the Chevy dealer, brought a car, went back and said "by the way, you guys lost a sale".

Dkg
03-26-2006, 10:48 PM
what kind of Dodge were you going to buy??

I've experienced a lot of racism ever since I got my Spyder Eclipse.
Got pulled over by the cops 3 times so far

one was a white guy
one was a white dyke
and another was an asian young guy

After the 1st two incidents I got my windows tinted, hoping that would keep the police from racial profiling me. The first guy wrote me a ticket (for not "presenting my registration in a timely fashion" even though I showed it to him) and when i went to court to protest it, he didn't have anythig on my case b/c he knew he only pulled me over b/c of my race.

I was pissed as hell but laughing on the inside b/c we both knew what was up and I was gonna let the judge know exactly what that was

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
The first guy wrote me a ticket (for not "presenting my registration in a timely fashion" even though I showed it to him

that's total bullshit

let me know how that turns out

Dole
03-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Can't believe this all still goes on :shock:

dabaldone
03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Don't start with stories about the police. Hell, I was pulled over for matching the description of a bank robber. He was 5'6" tall, light skinned, sandy brown hair and about 155 lbs. I'm 6'2" 225 lbs, bald and dark skinned. The dude escaped on a bicycle. I was in a brand new car!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-26-2006, 11:07 PM
You know whats funny(or not) in this day and time I find I experience more racism from other minorites than white people lol. Just not like the 80's is it.

I agree, very weird.................. I've just blanked alot of it out, living in NYC you learn to blank it out, well at least I do. I was more offended that I was a paying customer than the fact that this guy was being a jerk. It works for me, I got my kicks and don't have to work on Sunday, I bet he's still there hustling for a sale.

BeardedOne
03-27-2006, 12:29 AM
That salesman was just a jerk and you were right to rub his nose in it. I've worked in retail and I don't care if you're an LGM (Little Green Man) so long as you have LGM (Lotsa Green Money) to spend.

It rings to the scene in Pretty Woman where the salesgirls blow off Julia Roberts because she just isn't their idea of someone that would shop there. She comes back later, loaded down with bags from the other boutiques on the strip, and tells them off.

I have a similar story (Though not race-based): In the late seventies I was the classic picture of rebelious youth, with long, shaggy hair, ten-o-clock shadow, worn jeans, an old, torn up army jacket. One day I was at the old Clark & White Lincoln dealership in Boston (The one that was in the original Alvin Fuller Packard dealership building), chatting up the sales staff over a couple of new Lehmann-Peterson Lincolns that they were showing off in the front windows (This was just before the big stretches started to catch on, when Caddy downsized their stock limousines). These sales guys knew me from some of the business I took to Peter Fuller Cadillac when it was still down by Cottage Farm/BU (BU now owns the building).

I then took a stroll across the street to where a new Rolls dealership had opened recently (I think it was the first in the Boston area). I was just window shopping, but even then a good salesman will at least acknowledge your presence. They didn't. Not a one. I was there for about fifteen minutes and they didn't even come over to see if I was looking to hotwire one of them (I was a little unkempt, to say the least).

I stepped to the curb, where my driver pulled up and we rode away (We had one of my Fleetwood 75s that day). Looking over my shoulder I saw some pretty mortified Rolls Royce salespeople watching a potential commission disappear into the sunset. :lol: For a while after that, until I got tired of poking them in the eye, I used to honk everytime I'd be cruising by in one of the limos. :twisted:

flabbybody
03-27-2006, 12:47 AM
good story beardedone. It illustrates that pre-judging someone based on appearance is not only morally wrong, but bad business.

if I'm a salesman in a car dealership and I don't get up to serve a black guy walking through the door as quickly as a white guy, who's the fool? everyone's money is green.

Quinn
03-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Don't start with stories about the police. Hell, I was pulled over for matching the description of a bank robber. He was 5'6" tall, light skinned, sandy brown hair and about 155 lbs. I'm 6'2" 225 lbs, bald and dark skinned. The dude escaped on a bicycle. I was in a brand new car!

LMAO.. Anyone ever see Harold & Kumar Go To Whitecastle? Dabaldone's story reminds me of the scene where the hickish Jersey cops have the one black guy in jail for absolutely nothing except being black. Funny movie; hysterical scene.

For bad cops, there's is no place in the Northeast worse than small town Jersey. I've seen some stuff you wouldn't believe could happen.

-Quinn

Queens Guy
03-27-2006, 02:18 AM

Have you ever thought it was the car? Sports cars are notorious for getting pulled over.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-27-2006, 02:22 AM

Have you ever thought it was the car? Sports cars are notorious for getting pulled over.

I will admit once i stopped eating rice and started eating German the cops left me alone *knock on wood*

Dkg
03-27-2006, 05:11 AM
So i guess it's safe to assume that anyone driving this car is up to no good...?

Queens Guy
03-27-2006, 05:16 AM
So i guess it's safe to assume that anyone driving this car is up to no good...?

I never said that. Just that sporty cars stick out.

What was your car before the eclipse? If it was more 'average', and you never got stopped in it, then maybe the car is catching everybody's eye, including the police's.

hwbs
03-27-2006, 07:40 AM

I will admit once i stopped eating rice and started eating German the cops left me alone *knock on wood*

lmfao.....

BeardedOne
03-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I never said that. Just that sporty cars stick out.

And what is it about old hearses that gives Jersey State Troopers so much wood? I was stopped on the TPK and I-80 so many times (For nothing more than "I just wanted to look at your car") that I finally sent a Xerox of my paperwork and a pic of the car to the state commander to post in the ready rooms to save them all time (It didn't help, they still pulled me over). :roll: