PDA

View Full Version : One Large Leap For Mankind

hondarobot
03-26-2006, 06:39 AM
I just caught the last half of Apollo 13 while clicking through the channels. Pretty good Hollywood movie, amazing moment in history and the crew dealt with unimaginable challenges. It's really an amazing story and those astronauts deserve the highest respect.

It got me thinking about what I had always considered the coolest moment in human history, from an individuals perspective.

Neil Armstrong setting foot on the moon.

It's hard to top that. Riding a fairly primative vehicle across space, landing on uncertain terrain, then exiting the vehicle and being the first human being to set foot on something that isn't the planet earth.

Increadible.

But then, for the first time, I thought. . .who cares? It was an amazing act of bravado and ingenuity, but nothing really practical or generally useful on a large scale has ever resulted from the fact that people set foot on the moon, as far as I know.

It was some sort of epiphany for me, I guess. Striving for success, for it's own sake, has always seemed silly to me. Obviously Neil Armstrong is still a kick ass muther fucker. . .

But. . .

When you really think about it, who cares about walking on the moon, beyond the fact that a handfull of people have done it? It's a barren rock. There's nothing there.

I think I'd much rather just enjoy my life and be happy. Whatever anyone else want's to do is fine by me, but if the option presented itself, I couldn't really think of any reason to go to the moon.

Actually, I'm just posting this to push the inevitable return of "bulges and filled underwear" back down another notch. Not that there's anything wrong with that thread. . .

:)

Felicia Katt
03-26-2006, 07:13 AM
got this from Wikipedia

The Apollo program stimulated many areas of technology. The flight computer design used in both the lunar and command modules was, along with the Minuteman Missile System, the driving force behind early research into integrated circuits. The fuel cell developed for this program was the first practical fuel cell. Computer controlled machining (CNC) was pioneered in fabricating Apollo structural components.

Many astronauts and cosmonauts have commented on the profound effects that seeing earth from space has had on them. One of the most important legacies of the Apollo program was the now-common, but not universal view of Earth as a fragile, small planet, captured in the photographs taken by the astronauts during the lunar missions. The most famous of these photographs, taken by the Apollo 17 astronauts, is "The Blue Marble." These photographs have also motivated many people toward environmentalism and space colonization

I think the best part of the whole program was how it brought the entire country together in such a positive way. We could use something like that today.

FK

hondarobot
03-26-2006, 07:24 AM
I see your point, Felicia. I suppose a lot of good did come from the Apollo program and the whole NASA thing in general.

I'm just saying that accomplishing something like being the first guy on the moon use to be something I considered a cool objective (or something along those lines), and it just doesn't seem all that important to me anymore.

I'm just rolling things around in my head, thinking out loud.

Would anyone else reading this thread want to walk on the moon? It's an interesting question.

ezed
03-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Increadible.

But. . .

When you really think about it, who cares about walking on the moon, beyond the fact that a handfull of people have done it? It's a barren rock. There's nothing there.

I think I'd much rather just enjoy my life and be happy. Whatever anyone else want's to do is fine by me, but if the option presented itself, I couldn't really think of any reason to go to the moon.

:)

BECAUSE IT'S THERE! Felicia illustrates the details of why it was worthwhile. But in the general scheme of things, if we don't continue exploring the universe will just stay here bitching about each other and robbing from peter to pay paul.

flabbybody
03-26-2006, 07:44 AM
John F Kennedy made landing on the moon a national priority in his 1961 presidential inaugural speech during the height of the cold war hysteria.

The accomplishment was supposed to demonstrate America's superiorly to Russian Communism.

So 35 years later, what benefit did it serve?

Felicia Katt
03-26-2006, 08:05 AM
You mean, besides integrated circuits (ie computers, cell phones, Ipods, Playstations and virtually every modern electronic device) fuel cells( which might be the methadone to our present fossil fuel addiction ) and precision computer controlled machining and manufacturing (cars, planes, homes, virtually every thing else we make better, faster and cheaper today) nothing much. Except the vindication and elevation of the human spirit. When humanity's reach exceeds its grasp like that, its hands are too busy to point fingers, pick pockets or form into fists.

FK

robbie
03-26-2006, 08:23 AM
You mean, besides integrated circuits (ie computers, cell phones, Ipods, Playstations and virtually every modern electronic device) fuel cells( which might be the methadone to our present fossil fuel addiction ) and precision computer controlled machining and manufacturing (cars, planes, homes, virtually every thing else we make better, faster and cheaper today) nothing much. Except the vindication and elevation of the human spirit. When humanity's reach exceeds its grasp like that, its hands are too busy to point fingers, pick pockets or form into fists.

FK

:claps

Once again Felicia, a thoughtful point of view, well said.

chefmike
03-26-2006, 08:52 AM
got this from Wikipedia

The Apollo program stimulated many areas of technology. The flight computer design used in both the lunar and command modules was, along with the Minuteman Missile System, the driving force behind early research into integrated circuits. The fuel cell developed for this program was the first practical fuel cell. Computer controlled machining (CNC) was pioneered in fabricating Apollo structural components.

Many astronauts and cosmonauts have commented on the profound effects that seeing earth from space has had on them. One of the most important legacies of the Apollo program was the now-common, but not universal view of Earth as a fragile, small planet, captured in the photographs taken by the astronauts during the lunar missions. The most famous of these photographs, taken by the Apollo 17 astronauts, is "The Blue Marble." These photographs have also motivated many people toward environmentalism and space colonization

I think the best part of the whole program was how it brought the entire country together in such a positive way. We could use something like that today.

FK

How about putting G.W. on the moon...forever.

Trogdor
03-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Being an astronomy nut myself, and the fact that I think life right now is pretty dull and mundane. I'll be the first guy to volunteer for going to Mars :mrgreen: I'll have my rock climbing gear and videocameras when I head over to Cydonia.

www.enterprisemission.com Awesome site with alot of Mars stuff. Plus it looks at things not in the mainstream way of thinking. :D

hondarobot
03-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Actually, Neil Armstrong stepped onto a soundstage already on the moon. The Freemasons have had a secret hideout up there for centuries, and ordinarily use the stage for producing light hearted sit-coms for the enjoyment of the elder gods of Atlantis.

Don't you read history, mds? Sheesh.

ian
03-26-2006, 05:44 PM
I think its incredible and i would go like to the moon.

Alright there's nothing there, but the view and maybe a few bits of old spacecraft.

That buggy must still be there.

cueball
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM

FK

Good point Felicia! Here is a link showing benefits to medical science derived from technology that came about during the Apollo program.

http://space.about.com/od/toolsequipment/ss/apollospinoffs.htm

Felicia Katt
03-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks Cueball, that site really sinks the eight ball on the break! :)

MDS, Capricorn One starred OJ and James Brolin( who later married Barbara Streisand). Coincidence???? LOL

meow

FK

lolozack
03-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Why going to the Moon? Just a place full of dust and rocks, ... lot of dust. Is there any T-girl around?
But, why CC has gone to America 500 years ago? Why our african ancestors have invaded the whole planet, some 1000's years ago? Why shouldn't we extend our vacation trip to the Mare Serenitatis Hilton?

Trogdor
03-26-2006, 08:54 PM
The Geek in my wants to see more Star Treky stuff happen one day :mrgreen: Earth's too boring right now. :P

And the only people who believe the moon landing was fake are guys like him. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/haplo1998/img-imga.jpg

hondarobot
03-26-2006, 09:29 PM
All right, all right already! We'll all go to the damn moon. We could fill one of the smaller craters with champaign and have a Lunar Luau.

Felicia is, once again, correct. . . and my bitter rant was left behind in the dust.

Foiled again. . .

:?

But I get to drive the moon buggy.

lolozack
03-26-2006, 09:52 PM
If you are interested, have a look into www.astronautics.com

lolozack
03-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Sorry, it was www.astronautix.com

trish
03-27-2006, 12:51 AM
i'd very much like to see us on the moon again. Colonization of Mars and all the rest is on my list of these i'd like to see and probably never will. but what i most regret right now is that the nasa is funding the astronautics program at the expense of basic science. just this month nasa announced the diversion of funds promised to basic science missions (robotic telescopes, spectrometers, particle counters etc.) to the manned missions. it was only because of persistant protests of scientists and the interested public that the hubble space telescope wasn't scraped this year. the robotic missions give us the most "umpf" for our dollar. last week the cassini probe discover hot water geysers on a moon of saturn! because of the war in iraq congress agreed to raise our debt cieling to 9 trillion dollars. instead of wasting lives, eroding our democracy, plunging iraq into civil war and bring the middle east to the brink of instability that money could and should have been applied toward a national heath care program, and our coming social security bottleneck. there would have been plenty left over to spend on space research, both manned and unmanned.

lolozack
03-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Especially for you Us girls and guys, you can visit Keith Cowing sites, the straight www.spaceref.com and the more personal www.nasawatch.com. You will learn how your money is used by your favorite space agency (the "S" in NASA).
Being European myself, I would be delighted if an esawatch website could pinpoint all the waste of money, waste of time and effort, zigzag strategies and other kinds of silly things that are performed by the European Space Agency. It's definitly not a way of European people to react at it.
I remember, 15 years ago, when in vacation in Pacific Islands, that a lot of people here, met in bars or at beach on apparently isolated and retarded island, were surprisingly interested in space matters and proud of the Ariane, European launcher, performances.
Apparently, nobody cares any more or only the politicians don't care, because they think nobody cares, from poll standpoint. Is the dream already dead?

PS. I don't think that any T-girls are there ...

cueball
03-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks Cueball, that site really sinks the eight ball on the break! :)

You are most welcome, Ms. Katt!

8)

December
03-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Especially for you Us girls and guys, you can visit Keith Cowing sites, the straight www.spaceref.com and the more personal www.nasawatch.com. You will learn how your money is used by your favorite space agency (the "S" in NASA).
Being European myself, I would be delighted if an esawatch website could pinpoint all the waste of money, waste of time and effort, zigzag strategies and other kinds of silly things that are performed by the European Space Agency. It's definitly not a way of European people to react at it.
I remember, 15 years ago, when in vacation in Pacific Islands, that a lot of people here, met in bars or at beach on apparently isolated and retarded island, were surprisingly interested in space matters and proud of the Ariane, European launcher, performances.
Apparently, nobody cares any more or only the politicians don't care, because they think nobody cares, from poll standpoint. Is the dream already dead?

PS. I don't think that any T-girls are there ...

Yet.

There's another reason to outward: About 65 some-odd million years ago, there were these big, powerful critters running around called Dinosaurs.
One random bit of rock later, and they're extinct-the consensus is that something hit the Earth and killed 'em. (short form).

If it's happened before... It's likely to happen Again.

Dispersal lowers the probability that we and our descendents will be in danger of being wiped out from a single event or short series of events.

It's not a matter of "Will we get hit", but "When will we get hit"-because we will. (and if it isn't a big rock, or comet, the sun's going to expand and swallow everything on earth in 5 billion years or so anyway...)