PDA

View Full Version : 100-year-old man in Cadillac runs over 11 near L.A. school

Dino Velvet
08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
This shit has gotta stop. We had a mass-murderer with a Buick who clipped 10 one pleasant Santa Monica afternoon at The Promenade years back.

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_21434382/100-year-old-man-cadillac-runs-over-11

100-year-old man in Cadillac runs over 11 near L.A. school

By Shaya Tayefe Mohajer

Associated Press

Posted: 08/30/2012 08:27:09 AM PDT
Updated: 08/30/2012 08:35:33 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES -- The screams of women and children didn't cause a 100-year-old driver to stop as he backed his large powder blue Cadillac onto a sidewalk across from an elementary school and hit 11 people, including nine children.
So people began pounding on his windows screaming for him to stop, a witness said.
Alma Solache said she was buying her children an afterschool snack Wednesday just before the accident outside a South Los Angeles school.
"He was not paying attention," said Solache, 24, adding that it was at least two or three seconds before the vehicle halted and people began pulling children out from beneath the car.
Four of the children were in critical condition when firefighters arrived but they were stabilized and were in serious condition at a hospital, city fire Capt. Jaime Moore said. Everyone was expected to survive, he said.
Children's backpacks, shoes, candy and loose change were strewn about the scene behind a discount grocery store across from Main Street Elementary.
Police said the driver, Preston Carter, was being very cooperative and drugs or alcohol were not a factor in the crash.
Carter talked to television reporters after the crash some five miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles. He said he has a driver's license and will be 101 years old Sept. 5.
"My brakes failed. It was out of control," Carter told KCAL-TV.
Asked about hitting the children, Carter said: "You
know I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't do that for nothing on earth. My sympathies for them." Carter was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, but instead of backing into the street, he backed onto the sidewalk, police Capt. George Rodriguez said.
"I think it was a miscalculation on his part. The gentleman is elderly," Rodriguez said. "Obviously he is going to have some impairment on his decision making."
Elderly drivers have been involved in other tragedies. In 2003, an 86-year-old man mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal of his car instead of the brake and then panicked, plowing into an open-air market in Santa Monica. Ten people were killed and 63 injured.
According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive.
Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest. He has a valid driver's license, Rodriguez said.

Wendy Summers
08-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Sad thing.

My great-grandmother lived well into her nineties and drove until she was 86. She SHOULD have been off the road around 78. I'm a firm believer that after a certain age, we should require all drivers to take an annual driving exam. As our population gets older we're going to see more and more of this.

GroobySteven
08-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Sad thing.

My great-grandmother lived well into her nineties and drove until she was 86. She SHOULD have been off the road around 78. I'm a firm believer that after a certain age, we should require all drivers to take an annual driving exam. As our population gets older we're going to see more and more of this.

I thought you DID have to do that? Wonder if this guy has ever had to retest?

BLKGSXR
08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Hes 100 I know some people in their 40's who should not be driving why is he?
more on why is he still alive I wouldnt wanna live to the point it hurts to get up.fckthaaaaat!

bishr
08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
cadiallc... break through!

Wendy Summers
08-30-2012, 10:58 PM
I thought you DID have to do that? Wonder if this guy has ever had to retest?

It's state by state here in the US... I know neither PA where I grew up or NJ where I live now require it. I don't know what CA's rules are.

Kevin Dong
08-30-2012, 11:29 PM
I hope I never live to be that old. Thats awful.

GroobySteven
08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Fuck that, I hope I live that long and am still in condition enough to get out the house and drive my Cadillac (no matter how badly).

Dino Velvet
08-30-2012, 11:54 PM
If I live that long hopefully I've saved enough money to have a full-time driver. A hot one too. No Asians for this job.

Willie Escalade
08-31-2012, 02:33 AM
The highest seniority driver for the LACMTA has a seniority date of 1958...he was driving a bus when LA still had the Pacific Electric Railway cars running (that's a LONG time ago). He's been driving since BEFORE they built the Santa Monica and San Diego Freeways. Some SUPERVISORS were born after he started. He recalls taking current bus drivers to ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. And he's still driving public transportation.

He passes ALL of the tests with flying colors. The bars on his Ike jacket almost cover the whole sleeve (he has 10).

GroobySteven
08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Congratulations Willie. You don't look a day over 58.

Prospero
08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
I plan to live a very long time - or die trying

Willie Escalade
08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Congratulations Willie. You don't look a day over 58.
Damn right I don't!

danthepoetman
08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Should we be happy he wasn’t driving an 18-weeler?

TatianaSummer
08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
So they want to restrict guns, now are they going to restrict using/selling cars too?

daltx_m
08-31-2012, 01:32 PM
why didn't someone pull him out of the car and beat him to death?

danthepoetman
08-31-2012, 01:36 PM
So they want to restrict guns, now are they going to restrict using/selling cars too?

Well, Tatiana, I guess not enough 100 years old people use it as a deadly weapon for the authorities to move on this one… :)

Prospero
08-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Only a very seasoned real veteran driver can clock up that kind of score.

AcadiaVeneer
08-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Fuck that, I hope I live that long and am still in condition enough to get out the house and drive my Cadillac (no matter how badly).

I Totally agree. Rock it till the wheel's fall off... Body and Cadillac!

Bigguy
08-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Hopefully in a decade or two this won't be much of an issue as there will be self driving cars on the road. States are starting to approve them and there are some already being tested on the roads. The elderly could sit back and let the car do the work.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/self-driving-cars_n_1845018.html

Dino Velvet
08-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Willie always kinda reminds me of Ralph Kramden mixed with Jeanne Wolf from The National Enquirer with a splash of The Cleveland Show fella.

http://w436.photobucket.com/albums/qq83/Mikekellycpa/file14.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pXgcDqfiYqk/0.jpg

http://cdn.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Cleveland-Show-tv-02.jpg

GroobySteven
08-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Willie always kinda reminds me of Ralph Kramden mixed with Jeanne Wolf from The National Enquirer with a splash of The Cleveland Show fella.

Hahaha

Dino Velvet
08-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Hahaha

Never met the fella. Accurate?

The Judgemental Bastard 7-16-08 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oYFJG05PvE)

Willie Escalade
09-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Jeanne Wolf?!

robertlouis
09-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Cars don't kill people. People kill people..... :whistle:

Dino Velvet
09-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Jeanne Wolf?!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pXgcDqfiYqk/0.jpg

Always dishin' the dirt about people's dirt holes.

Ben
09-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Cars don't kill people. People kill people..... :whistle:

No... no... no. Cars don't kill people. People kill cars... ha ha ha! :) :)
Again, cars don't kill people. PEOPLE KILL CARS...

Angry Guy Destroys Car - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6YTHX8DUxQ)

Dino Velvet
09-02-2012, 04:12 AM
No... no... no. Cars don't kill people. People kill cars... ha ha ha! :) :)
Again, cars don't kill people. PEOPLE KILL CARS...

Angry Guy Destroys Car - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6YTHX8DUxQ)

Check out this guy shooting at the car. Poor windshield. He sure hates cars. Stomped on the hood and everything. Wonder what his problem with automobiles is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFblgNAmgNY

TatianaSummer
09-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Jeanne Wolf?!

Nice New Avatar! Shes very sexy!

Prospero
09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Love your new Avatar Ben. But what an ugly t girl she is!

Willie Escalade
09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Nice New Avatar! Shes very sexy!
She lives in your city, you know...

Love your new Avatar Ben. But what an ugly t girl she is!
Now, now...that's not nice...:smh

onmyknees
09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
This shit has gotta stop. We had a mass-murderer with a Buick who clipped 10 one pleasant Santa Monica afternoon at The Promenade years back.

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_21434382/100-year-old-man-cadillac-runs-over-11

100-year-old man in Cadillac runs over 11 near L.A. school

By Shaya Tayefe Mohajer

Associated Press

Posted: 08/30/2012 08:27:09 AM PDT
Updated: 08/30/2012 08:35:33 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES -- The screams of women and children didn't cause a 100-year-old driver to stop as he backed his large powder blue Cadillac onto a sidewalk across from an elementary school and hit 11 people, including nine children.
So people began pounding on his windows screaming for him to stop, a witness said.
Alma Solache said she was buying her children an afterschool snack Wednesday just before the accident outside a South Los Angeles school.
"He was not paying attention," said Solache, 24, adding that it was at least two or three seconds before the vehicle halted and people began pulling children out from beneath the car.
Four of the children were in critical condition when firefighters arrived but they were stabilized and were in serious condition at a hospital, city fire Capt. Jaime Moore said. Everyone was expected to survive, he said.
Children's backpacks, shoes, candy and loose change were strewn about the scene behind a discount grocery store across from Main Street Elementary.
Police said the driver, Preston Carter, was being very cooperative and drugs or alcohol were not a factor in the crash.
Carter talked to television reporters after the crash some five miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles. He said he has a driver's license and will be 101 years old Sept. 5.
"My brakes failed. It was out of control," Carter told KCAL-TV.
Asked about hitting the children, Carter said: "You
know I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't do that for nothing on earth. My sympathies for them." Carter was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, but instead of backing into the street, he backed onto the sidewalk, police Capt. George Rodriguez said.
"I think it was a miscalculation on his part. The gentleman is elderly," Rodriguez said. "Obviously he is going to have some impairment on his decision making."
Elderly drivers have been involved in other tragedies. In 2003, an 86-year-old man mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal of his car instead of the brake and then panicked, plowing into an open-air market in Santa Monica. Ten people were killed and 63 injured.
According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive.
Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest. He has a valid driver's license, Rodriguez said.

Fucking sad....but if the point is some people shouldn't have drivers licenses, California must have fairly lax rules as they allow illegals to have drivers licenses, then they move to other States, trade their CA licence in and continue the crime sprees. Such is the case in Mass where an illegal given a drivers license by California hit a van of church goers and killed 5....totally intoxicated, totally illegal, but legal to operate a MV.

Quiet Reflections
09-02-2012, 11:00 PM
We should ban any car faster than a model T! I don't feel safe knowing my idiot neighbor has access to these devastating weapons. There is no need far a car to be that fast and that heavy, they are clearly made only for killing and civilians shouldn't have them!!!:whistle:

Dino Velvet
09-03-2012, 12:32 AM
We should ban any car faster than a model T! I don't feel safe knowing my idiot neighbor has access to these devastating weapons. There is no need far a car to be that fast and that heavy, they are clearly made only for killing and civilians shouldn't have them!!!:whistle:

Anybody who breaks the law gets shot.:party:

Sulka_bewitched_me
09-03-2012, 07:24 AM
After 60-65 it should be MANDATORY to get retested annually!

robertlouis
09-04-2012, 05:00 AM
After 60-65 it should be MANDATORY to get retested annually!

I genuinely don't know the answer to this. Do gun owners need to be tested after a certain age? Or if you suffer from cataracts or opthalmic myalgia can you still fire a gun?

Prospero
09-04-2012, 08:12 AM
If the GOP get elected with their growing taste for smaller government I have the perfect law for them to repeal as soon as they can.

The law of gravity.

Make as much sense as their other plans.

danthepoetman
09-04-2012, 08:18 AM
How about Murphy’s law, Prospero? ;)

Dino Velvet
09-04-2012, 08:22 AM
How about Murphy’s law, Prospero? ;)

I'm all for it.

Murphy's Law trailer (Cannon Films) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_9RuYFfQJg)

Murphy's Law (1986) Charles Bronson - moviefraek - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmjYsS_kcSk&feature=related)

Sulka_bewitched_me
09-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I genuinely don't know the answer to this. Do gun owners need to be tested after a certain age? Or if you suffer from cataracts or opthalmic myalgia can you still fire a gun?
WTF do guns have to do with this topic? It's about seniors having the ability AND reflexes to still be able to drive safely after a certain age!