PDA

View Full Version : Primal Fear

Erika1487
08-09-2012, 10:09 AM
We all have fears, but for some of us there is the one that the very thought of makes our blood run cold....

For me this fear is drowning. As a child I never learned to swim, after a near drowning at the hands of my cousin tossing me in his pool when I was 5. Since then I have been haunted by nightmares of drowning for the last 28 years. This fear is so bad, that I have too exuse my self from parties that I know that a pool will be involved.....

Stavros
08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
The obvious thing to do is to learn to swim, its not like you are being attacked by water.

For me it has to be rodents and lions. I cannot even look at a photo of a rat and had to cover my eyes when friends who had been to India (somewhere in the north) photographed a Temple dedicated to Rats. I once lived in a rodent-infested garret and it was hell.

I have an intense fear of being attacked by a lion...I have for this reason (as well as the cost) not been on, and have no desire to go on, a safari in the Maasai Mara or any other so-called Park in Africa.

Prospero
08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Large scuttling and possibly poisonous spiders.

Erika1487
08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
The obvious thing to do is to learn to swim, its not like you are being attacked by water.

For me it has to be rodents and lions. I cannot even look at a photo of a rat and had to cover my eyes when friends who had been to India (somewhere in the north) photographed a Temple dedicated to Rats. I once lived in a rodent-infested garret and it was hell.

I have an intense fear of being attacked by a lion...I have for this reason (as well as the cost) not been on, and have no desire to go on, a safari in the Maasai Mara or any other so-called Park in Africa. Thats interesting.. I find rodents of all types disgusting, it seems unbelievable that people choose to keep them as pets. Lion's make sense. Any apex predator thats moves us down on the food chain would be on this list for most folks.
About the swiming, I shake at the knees just getting near a pool, I always shower, because lying down in the bathtub freaks me out too!

Stavros
08-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Erika, I think you need to see a doctor...

Jericho
08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I cannot even look at a photo of a rat and had to cover my eyes when friends who had been to India (somewhere in the north) photographed a Temple dedicated to Rats.

Karni Mata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata)
I'm guessing you're not a Roland fan, either? :ignore:

Erika1487
08-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Erika, I think you need to see a doctor...
I keep my therapist hopping with bi-weekly visits and mandatory weekly emails. I am listed as a 'chronic care' case that has too be watched closely. In other words I am a half step away from the funny farm....

Stavros
08-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Karni Mata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata)
I'm guessing you're not a Roland fan, either? :ignore:

Definitely NOT, couldn't watch it. I wasn't so keen on Basil Brush either, ferrets should remain where they are meant to be, out of sight and in a wood somewhere. Same with Gerbils, hamsters and guinea pigs. No. Nada. Nix. End of story.

SammiValentine
08-09-2012, 04:54 PM
1) being lost in wigan and never being able to get out.

2) Everyone in the world speaking like Sean Bean, male and female.

3) I fear my dad having another relapse and thinking he is the Hoff.

Dino Velvet
08-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't like the water or heights at all. I drive everywhere.

LibertyHarkness
08-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I sort of fear the fact that i know no fear ... it makes me feel perhaps i am missing out on some emotions in life that most human beings take for granted .. but then saying that i dont really have many emotions anyway .. never really have .

My parents are pretty sure that i am not human , or i am a special human haha

BigDF
08-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I sort of fear the fact that i know no fear ... it makes me feel perhaps i am missing out on some emotions in life that most human beings take for granted .. but then saying that i dont really have many emotions anyway .. never really have .

My parents are pretty sure that i am not human , or i am a special human hahaI think you are a special human, Libby. It could be that you know no fear because nothing really bad has happened to you. In my case, I was hung out of a fourth story window when I was in high school, so I've got a bad fear of heights. Makes it difficult for me to drive, because it affects me there and I hate to cross bridges. I take pills that are supposed to control the fear, but they don't seem to work, most of the time. Oh, well, that's life.:geek:

LibertyHarkness
08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
i have had a few things happen to me ..

- been run over twice
- been beaten to a pulp and hospitilised
- been bitten by a shark (in a chainmail) when i worked as an instructor and was doing shark research in hurgada on great hammerheads .. got bit up nicely. cracked ribs etc .quite fucked up really - very surreal being attacked underwater indeed, its akin to being run over ..its a woooom impact and shaken voilently about .
- have drown , resucitation
-buried 4 of my best friends in diving accident that resulted in fatalities
- crashed a superbike on a race track and walked away ..

i can go on haha . now i just dont think anything at all .. life is what it is .. all got to die sometime why fear the inevitible . we are just borrowed energy from a living planet , to be consumed back and reused into something else .. live now is my motto .

maybe i am weird i dunno, i dont care ,, compassion wise i have some compassion i guess .. though alot of my compassion is forced to fit in lol ..but i care for my very few close friends massively ..but i dont get phased by things/ scenes of graphic ,, i.e some of the news stuff you see blah blah ...

though i do fear sharing a bed with sammi valentine and wondering if i will actually get some fucking sleep this time lol that scally bint keeps me awake lol

before all these things i used to fear many things ..now i dont . probably a mental block off now i guess

SammiValentine
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
you been on the haribo x

LibertyHarkness
08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
lol nope,, you been on the decks lar ?

Erika1487
08-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I think you are a special human, Libby. It could be that you know no fear because nothing really bad has happened to you. In my case, I was hung out of a fourth story window when I was in high school, so I've got a bad fear of heights. Makes it difficult for me to drive, because it affects me there and I hate to cross bridges. I take pills that are supposed to control the fear, but they don't seem to work, most of the time. Oh, well, that's life.:geek:
When I used to drive to Cincinnati alot for Reds and Bengals games I would park in Covington and walk across the Robeling bridge to go to Riverfront stadium.

brickcitybrother
08-09-2012, 09:25 PM

- been run over twice Me once
- been beaten to a pulp and hospitilised Beaten thrice
- been bitten by a shark (in a chainmail) when i worked as an instructor and was doing shark research in hurgada on great hammerheads .. got bit up nicely. cracked ribs etc .quite fucked up really - very surreal being attacked underwater indeed, its akin to being run over ..its a woooom impact and shaken voilently about . Ok, you got me on that. Though I've dived and encountered sharks
- have drown , resucitation Yeah, had that as a child
- crashed a superbike on a race track and walked away .. WTF - what happened? Nothing like that in my past

But...
-I've been between a shoot out.
-I've had an attempted car-jacking [with a shotgun].
-Been in a serious fire and YES its the smoke that kills
-Had a tire blow-out a 80 MPH

I don't know if we're just borrowed energy from a living planet, to be consumed back and reused into something else.

But, to answer the question. My normal fear is of heights, I guess. My real fear is certain diseases (do I need to explain?) lol

Prospero
08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Liberty and brick City Brother - the sort of events you've both detailed are surely awful things that can shake you to the bone. But they're not the sort of things which haunt your deep imagination. I also have been in life threatening situations (in a violent demonstration where the army opened fire with live ammunition, held at gunpoint by Arab jihadists etc) But I do not have an IRRATIONAL fear of these (rather a perfectly rational terror. you are shit scared or stupid) It is the stupid irrational things - like Erica's fear of water or, in my case spiders.

Erika1487
08-09-2012, 09:34 PM

- been run over twice
- been bitten by a shark (in a chainmail) when i worked as an instructor and was doing shark research in hurgada on great hammerheads .. got bit up nicely. cracked ribs etc .quite fucked up really - very surreal being attacked underwater indeed, its akin to being run over ..its a woooom impact and shaken voilently about .

i can go on haha . now i just dont think anything at all .. life is what it is .. all got to die sometime why fear the inevitible . we are just borrowed energy from a living planet , to be consumed back and reused into something else .. live now is my motto .

maybe i am weird i dunno, i dont care ,, compassion wise i have some compassion i guess .. though alot of my compassion is forced to fit in lol ..but i care for my very few close friends massively ..but i dont get phased by things/ scenes of graphic ,, i.e some of the news stuff you see blah blah ...

though i do fear sharing a bed with sammi valentine and wondering if i will actually get some fucking sleep this time lol that scally bint keeps me awake lol

before all these things i used to fear many things ..now i dont . probably a mental block off now i guess
Thats pretty impressive Libby! Fear is a funny thing. If Vladamir Klitchko threw down a 12rd boxing challange to me I would not be afraid to fight him. Ask me to even walk near a pool and I have a panic attack.

BeardedOne
08-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Wow, Miss Libby, you and I could talk...

I used to fear a lot of stuff but after a life of odd experiences (Being homeless and living in my car, being shot at by criminals =AND= the police, surviving flood, fire, and similar mayhem), I'm not sure what my current state of fear is. I have a lot of issues with being in crowds, so I don't go to shopping malls, concerts, etc., but I have been known to go to large public events where I at least =appear= to be having fun and I tend to be rather gregarious, sometimes frightening the random politician on the campaign trail when I get more attention than they do (And no, I do =NOT= want to be governor).

<Thinking>

I'm probably a little askew with being alone. I'm older now (Though a local resident kicked off at 112, so I'm not even halfway there...And that's pretty frightful in and of itself) so I'm in a spot where a lot of people that I know are starting to disappear. Worse, that I am an odd sort that tends to befriend those that are significantly older than myself (A couple of whom were mentioned in recent news items of an obituary sort).

And I so hate losing the cats, many of which are strays with naturally truncated timelines. That always hurts. Perhaps the most.

danthepoetman
08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Liberty and brick City Brother - the sort of events you've both detailed are surely awful things that can shake you to the bone. But they're not the sort of things which haunt your deep imagination. I also have been in life threatening situations (in a violent demonstration where the army opened fire with live ammunition, held at gunpoint by Arab jihadists etc) But I do not have an IRRATIONAL fear of these (rather a perfectly rational terror. you are shit scared or stupid) It is the stupid irrational things - like Erica's fear of water or, in my case spiders.

Yes, I understand what you’re talking about, Prospero. Sometimes, anguishes just insinuates in me. It just makes its way to the center of my being. A few scary thoughts rapidly grow to an obsessive extent and terror totally takes over any reason in me. I’m nuts. These states sometimes last several days and take me to the brink. I know I’m a crazy lunatic. But with how much clarity and empathy do I see other people’s fears!
I’ve been through shitty stuff in my youth, shitty stuff that stays with you. Yet nothing is as invasive and terrifying as what comes from the inside.

Prospero
08-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Sanity is a relative thing, right? We are all part of a continuum from truly deeply mad to deeply sane - and being afraid of spiders or water or snakes or whatever - is irrational but deep down in our being there is surely some kind of intuition or recollection that these things CAN be dangerous so we fear them. For others it can be a childhood trauma buried deep.

As i said being in a dangerous situation is truly terrifying. But I'll bet almost everyone - except Liberty! - has something inside which frightens them irrationally.

Jamie French
08-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Whales freak me out. I can't imagine being next to something that massive... something that breathes.

The abyss. I can't go into the ocean, not because of all the monsters but because of it's un-endingness in all directions (under the surface, I can do boats all day long)

danthepoetman
08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
In the deepest of the depth, where the sun never has nor never could shed light, you have translucid animals that produces their own. Just another world, so remote. Another reality we’re only starting to suspect.
Whales are intelligent animals. They communicate through immense distances with their songs.
Strange, alien world. Enough to be scary indeed.

Prospero
08-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Whales freak me out. I can't imagine being next to something that massive... something that breathes.

The abyss. I can't go into the ocean, not because of all the monsters but because of it's un-endingness in all directions (under the surface, I can do boats all day long)

Oh yes - I know exactly what you mean about Whales. When they surface it is like something vast coming out of the subconscious. They give me bad dreams and yet i did go whale watching off Hawaii once and it was great.

Quiet Reflections
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
My only worry in life is a standard one for any parent, that one day I won't be able to provide for my son. Everything else in life is just details as long as he is taken care of.

danthepoetman
08-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Know the feeling. Mine is all grown up. And I must confess that at times, it feels like the real job is done, and that not much of anything important is left…

Quiet Reflections
08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Know the feeling. Mine is all grown up. And I must confess that at times, it feels like the real job is done, and that not much of anything important is left…
Raising them right is definitely hard but I always imagine the real difficulty comes in when they go out into the world. As a good parent you have to stand by and let them take their adult hits and be who thee are. I can't wait to see the man he becomes but I wouldn't mind stretching out some of these days a bit longer.

BigDF
08-10-2012, 12:27 PM

- been run over twice

When I used to drive to Cincinnati alot for Reds and Bengals games I would park in Covington and walk across the Robeling bridge to go to Riverfront stadium.It must have something to do with age,Erika, because when I was young and in love with my first wife, I walked across most of the bridges in Cincinnati, including the Big Mac bridge before it was opened.:yayo: I'll volunteer to sleep between you and Sammi, Liberty, altho I fear we wouldn't get much sleep then either. :salad:fuckin:

Erika1487
08-11-2012, 12:50 AM
It must have something to do with age,Erika, because when I was young and in love with my first wife, I walked across most of the bridges in Cincinnati, including the Big Mac bridge before it was opened.:yayo:: Nothing is quite as romantic as the walking around queen city at night during the summer. :kiss:

SammiValentine
08-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Oh yes - I know exactly what you mean about Whales. When they surface it is like something vast coming out of the subconscious. They give me bad dreams and yet i did go whale watching off Hawaii once and it was great.

Whales???? Wait till you see a fat bird in Rhyl. Then you will be really scared.

LibertyHarkness
08-11-2012, 01:03 AM
dont you mean a fat bird in a mankini :)

ed_jaxon
08-11-2012, 01:07 AM
I fear being stuck and not being able to exhale

LibertyHarkness
08-11-2012, 01:11 AM
i know one thing Sammi fears above anything else ..

the fact i am her father ...

Star Wars- The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8)

and this is what Sammi did when I confronted her with it ...

that&#39;s not true. that&#39;s IMPOSSIBLE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyxmD_UAK4)