PDA

View Full Version : April Ashley receives MP

robertlouis
06-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Actress and campaigner, April Ashley, 77, will become an MBE for services to transgender equality. After being born a boy, she became the first Briton to undergo a sex change operation, in Casablanca in 1960.

The award of honours to people working within and for the gay community in the UK has become commonplace, as has the award of honours to people who have contributed in other walks of life and just happen to be gay, but I think this may be the first time that a transsexual individual has been honoured.

Well done April!

Two pics - one shortly after her transition and as she is now.

robertlouis
06-16-2012, 05:25 AM
The heading should of course read "April Ashley receives MBE" - I suspect that she may well have, *ahem*, "received" MPs in her time lol.

MrsKellyPierce
06-16-2012, 05:33 AM
Just gorgeous! And congrats to her!

robertlouis
06-16-2012, 05:40 AM
There was a nagging doubt in my mind, so I've just checked Jan Morris. She is the celebrated travel writer who was also born male, and she received the CBE in 1999. However, that award was for services to literature and not for any contribution towards campaigning on behalf of transsexuals.

While April Ashley's award is a great personal achievement, it also throws light in a very positive way on the tg community in general.

MrsKellyPierce
06-16-2012, 05:54 AM
On a personal note - it's great to see a trans-woman that transitioned this young and has led a full life. It's just really great to see this. Too many girls die young.

robertlouis
06-16-2012, 06:00 AM
On a personal note - it's great to see a trans-woman that transitioned this young and has led a full life. It's just really great to see this. Too many girls die young.

She had full srs in 1960 at the age of 25. She's also been married twice - and is still with her second husband - and was one of the first transgendered women in the UK to receive a new female birth certificate in 2004 when the law was finally changed. She also bears a very strong resemblance to a favourite aunt of mine, so I've followed her story for many years.

MrsKellyPierce
06-16-2012, 06:06 AM
She had full srs in 1960 at the age of 25. She's also been married twice - and is still with her second husband - and was one of the first transgendered women in the UK to receive a new female birth certificate in 2004 when the law was finally changed. She also bears a very strong resemblance to a favourite aunt of mine, so I've followed her story for many years.
That should be inspiring to many girls. I think it's great the UK also funds SRS :)

They have the National Health System - I wish America had that.

robertlouis
06-16-2012, 06:06 AM
It's also worth highlighting the CBE awarded to Paul Elliott the retired Chelsea and Celtic footballer for his sterling work to support diversity and eliminate racism from sport generally as well as in football.

JenniferParisHusband
06-16-2012, 06:23 AM
It's also worth highlighting the CBE awarded to Paul Elliott the retired Chelsea and Celtic footballer for his sterling work to support diversity and eliminate racism from sport generally as well as in football.

As a Liverpool supporter, I must say that it's not worth highlighting anything having to do with Chelsea rent-boys. Sorry had to be done.

....You'll Never Walk Alone

robertlouis
06-16-2012, 06:27 AM
As a Liverpool supporter, I must say that it's not worth highlighting anything having to do with Chelsea rent-boys. Sorry had to be done.

While my footie loyalties as a Scot are pretty obscure to most people, I found out a few years back when Liverpool almost got the title back that in EPL terms I'm also a Liverpool supporter. However, I can't let what you say pass entirely.

Elliott left Chelski more than 20 years ago, long before Abramovitch came on the scene. He's an entirely admirable human being, both as a role model and spokesman. Tough bastard as a player too lol.

Prospero
06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
So do you believe in our archaic honours system then, RL?

Prospero
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
But if we must accept that the honours system exists then April Ashley should long since have been given an honour - as a pioneer.

GroobySteven
06-16-2012, 11:03 AM

How did you become a Liverpool suppporter from the mid-West?

JenniferParisHusband
06-16-2012, 05:35 PM
How did you become a Liverpool suppporter from the mid-West?

My family actually comes from Bristol, but I really don't think anyone can ever truly be a fan of the Bristol Rovers. So they became Liverpool FC fans instead. I was just kind of raised on the Reds, being a fan of theirs is all I've ever known.

GroobySteven
06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
My family actually comes from Bristol, but I really don't think anyone can ever truly be a fan of the Bristol Rovers. So they became Liverpool FC fans instead. I was just kind of raised on the Reds, being a fan of theirs is all I've ever known.

Hmmm ... so glory seeker then? Bristol is closer to Southampton, Portsmouth, Cardiff, any of the London teams, Birmingham (and Aston Villa) and the same to Manchester. Did your family raise you on Liverpool when Liverpool was winning every tournament, perchance? :-)

robertlouis
06-17-2012, 01:26 AM
So do you believe in our archaic honours system then, RL?

I thought you knew me better, P.

But when on occasion it rewards someone for a special contribution to the general good it's worth highlighting. April is this year's case in point.

robertlouis
06-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Hmmm ... so glory seeker then? Bristol is closer to Southampton, Portsmouth, Cardiff, any of the London teams, Birmingham (and Aston Villa) and the same to Manchester. Did your family raise you on Liverpool when Liverpool was winning every tournament, perchance? :-)

And what's wrong in supporting your local side even if they are eternally shit? Of course there are Bristol Rovers diehards, just as there are for unfashionable and impoverished teams all over the country.

My first football match was Partick Thistle against Dunfermline - Thistle's ground at Firhill in the north of Glasgow was the closest to my home. But my parents were both Fifers and my dad was a Dunfermline fan, so it stuck with me too. And believe me, the lean years have far outweighed the fat.

I hate the glory seekers whose allegiances change every other year. Football is about pain, disappointment and endless anti-climax, not about glory every season.

Well, it is if you support a crap team as I do lol.

JenniferParisHusband
06-17-2012, 03:00 AM
I hate the glory seekers whose allegiances change every other year. Football is about pain, disappointment and endless anti-climax, not about glory every season.

Let's be honest, lately, supporting Liverpool has been no picnic either. Like I said, supporting them is all I've ever known, so I can't say about the glory seeking part.

robertlouis
06-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Let's be honest, lately, supporting Liverpool has been no picnic either. Like I said, supporting them is all I've ever known, so I can't say about the glory seeking part.

Sorry, JPH, that wasn't a dig at you. Loyalty is loyalty. It's the folks who were Man U fans last year and have become Man C fans this year I was aiming at.

JenniferParisHusband
06-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Sorry, JPH, that wasn't a dig at you. Loyalty is loyalty. It's the folks who were Man U fans last year and have become Man C fans this year I was aiming at.

No worries, talked to my dad about it later this evening and found out the reason they all follow Liverpool is because a cousin, John Lipsham, played for them in the early 1900's. So, knowledge, at least I got something out of it.

rodinuk
06-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks to robertlouis for enlightening us about April Ashley's achievements. :)

robertlouis
06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
No worries, talked to my dad about it later this evening and found out the reason they all follow Liverpool is because a cousin, John Lipsham, played for them in the early 1900's. So, knowledge, at least I got something out of it.

My uncle Billy played for them in the 60s as well - he started with Glasgow Rangers.