PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen PROMETHEUS?

FREEFALLL666
06-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Dont spoiler it if you have but WHAT A FREAKIN FILM! Brilliant is a word I dont use much but BRILLIANT!

TsJizelle
06-02-2012, 07:54 PM
hasn't been released here until next week!!! i am very excited to see this :)

trish
06-02-2012, 08:00 PM
No, and I don't dare read any post in this thread, or any reviews or discussions elsewhere until I do.

FREEFALLL666
06-02-2012, 08:00 PM
So refreshing to see a great movie but not have thousands of US and Cannucks analysing every frame days before us..

It is worth paying extra for the 3D.

Silcc69
06-02-2012, 08:23 PM
How on earth have you seen it yet? Pre-release viewing or something?

ptyseminole
06-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I intent on seen it...looks promising.

youngblood61
06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Can't wait!:claps:claps

SammiValentine
06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
gonna go sunday. :)

late night viewing at southport if there is one.!! winner.:D

robertlouis
06-02-2012, 10:33 PM
gonna go sunday. :)

late night viewing at southport if there is one.!! winner.:D

Gigging every day next week back in good old Scotland, but plan to see it as soon as I get back next Monday in Cambridge.

Look forward to your review, Sammi, even if you are sending it from the Canaries!

Stavros
06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Has had mixed reviews in the UK. Can it be worse than either Alien or Blade Runner? Apparently, yes.

timxxx
06-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Saw it last night a slight disappointment maybe i was expecting too much,ranks 3rd behind Alien & Aliens.

giovanni_hotel
06-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Lock this thread please. This is the only movie I've wanted to see for the last 6 months.

BellaBellucci
06-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I saw Men In Black 3, and yes, I cried at the end. :lol:

~BB~

irvin66
06-03-2012, 01:31 AM
have not seen it yet:wiggle:

tao1kiku
06-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Not released in Canada yet but been following a fan website for last 2 months. So far it looks going to be better than 99% of the other movies out there!

Chase_Mcthirsty
06-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Saw it last night a slight disappointment maybe i was expecting too much,ranks 3rd behind Alien & Aliens.

Huh...rental it is then.

So far Avengers is the only film that hasn't disappointed this Summer.

Hell even Chronicle has beaten out 95% of these so called blockbuster movies thus far as a quality film.

And although I hate the fact that Sony still owns the rights, I'm on the fence with seeing Spider-man but I will see Dark Knight Rises, though I doubt it'll top the last one.

So whats left this Summer?

GrimFusion
06-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Huh...rental it is then.

So far Avengers is the only film that hasn't disappointed this Summer.

Hell even Chronicle has beaten out 95% of these so called blockbuster movies thus far as a quality film.

And although I hate the fact that Sony still owns the rights, I'm on the fence with seeing Spider-man but I will see Dark Knight Rises, though I doubt it'll top the last one.

So whats left this Summer?

I totally agree. I'll probably check it out online before it gets released to rental because my girlfriend has been looking forward to Prometheus for the last eight months.
I usually like visiting firstshowing.net (http://www.firstshowing.net/category/trailers/) to see what movies are coming out. They're pretty good about uploading trailers as soon as they're released, sometimes even a year before the movie hits theaters.

buttslinger
06-03-2012, 03:10 AM
AlienS was the best sequel ever made.

fastingforlife
06-03-2012, 03:15 AM
AlienS was the best sequel ever made.

Agreed. It surpassed "the bride of frankenstein" the former champ.....in my opinion.

georgiaguy
06-03-2012, 05:27 AM
The butler did it!!!

danoblue
06-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Can't wait to see it! Just finished watching the blurays of all 4 Alien Movies.

I think I'm in a very select group that liked all of them. Alien 3 was much improved when they did their best to recreate the Fincher cut.

I still have both DVD boxes too.

It's too bad Alien 5 was never made. Aliens feeding on Earth!

I know AVP did it in Requiem. I didn't like the first AVP movie but the Requiem was fun watching Aliens going apeshit on the people in the town.

Aliens 5 could have been done really well if they had gotten a great director or even bring back Ridley Scott full circle.

I guess since AVP ruined it they're going with the Prequels now.

shaustin
06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
I had anticipation for this movie up until I found out it killed the chances of Lovecraft's 'At the Mountains of Madness' getting made. From what I've read online it's basically 'Mountains' set in space, which kind of pisses me off. If Ridley Scott wanted to steal a story for his Aliens Prequal Cash-in he could have atleast stolen something that wasn't already over a decade into developement and on the verge of getting made.

sucka4chix
06-03-2012, 08:41 PM
I saw Men In Black 3, and yes, I cried at the end. :lol:

~BB~
Ha ha. You softie! It was kinda touching. Caught me by surprise.

timxxx
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Huh...rental it is then.

It's well worth a trip to the imax,a small screen won't do it justice.

buttslinger
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
It's well worth a trip to the imax,a small screen won't do it justice.

Decisions, decisions.

tgtscurious
06-04-2012, 12:28 AM
went to a midnight showing of it opening night.
A very good film, but a few silly bits.
Defo worth seeing again.
Even better was the fact it had a 6min preview of the new spiderman film.
Really looking forward to that one!!

youngblood61
06-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Agreed. It surpassed "the bride of frankenstein" the former champ.....in my opinion.Ever heard of The Godfather 2?:smile:

Quinn
06-04-2012, 03:07 AM
I have to agree with Aliens being a great sequel. The 3rd movie was damn awful though. As for Prometheus, I'v read the real screenplay and will almost certainly see it opening night.

On a side note, what gives with our fellows across the pond getting to see it first? There's clearly been a distrubance to the natural order of things.

-Quinn

fab
06-04-2012, 03:29 AM
Prometheus was shot in Pinewood with a mostly British cast.
It didn't match Alien or Bladerunner, though seeing it at a proper IMAX it looks stunning.
So far Avengers, is this Summer's film.

fastingforlife
06-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Ever heard of The Godfather 2?:smile:

I stand corrected, Godfather II as new peer...thanks for slapping back to my senses.

altarica
06-04-2012, 06:39 AM
I have to agree with Aliens being a great sequel. The 3rd movie was damn awful though. As for Prometheus, I'v read the real screenplay and will almost certainly see it opening night.

On a side note, what gives with our fellows across the pond getting to see it first? There's clearly been a distrubance to the natural order of things.

-Quinn

That is the natural order of things. Great Britain first then you Colonials as an afterthought.

lifeisfiction
06-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Ridley Scott is British. Its the only reason it would open in Britian first. If you're a great British actor, you will come to the US, they all come to the us. Its only a matter of time, muhahahahaha.

BellaBellucci
06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Ha ha. You softie! It was kinda touching. Caught me by surprise.

Umm, hi. I'm a girl!

And a mom no less. :lol:

~BB~

youngblood61
06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I stand corrected, Godfather II as new peer...thanks for slapping back to my senses.Just a wake up call lol.:smile:

Stavros
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I went to see the 3D version last night; it looks spectacular although I think that 3D technology adds little more than 30% of the quality of the film. In the first Alien, the spacecraft was called Nostomo, a reference to the novel by Conrad without explaining why; in this film the robot character David models himself on Lawrence of Arabia, again without explanation. Prometheus gave fire to the humans and was punished by the Gods, and 'The New Prometheus' is the sub-title of Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein. This Scott film is a gloomy attempt to depict human beings as fundamentally self-destructive, while adding in the mind-numbing stupidity of Erich van Daneken's Chariots of the Gods even though the main character -an archaeologist/anthropologist wears a crucifix and evidently thinks Darwin and evolution is of no importance in understanding where people come from -a view that would make the film pointless. None of the characters in the film except David has any charisma or real purpose, just the usual stereotypes of scientists and real men who drink and drive.

Prometheus in the Greek context is part of the hugely important narrative in which human beings take control of their lives away from the Gods, the story of Philoctetes is another. Prometheus should thus be about the denial of Gods as architects of human society, but just as with Shelley, whoever they are and on whatever planet they come from, create humans and you find that killing is what they do best; apparently this is also what happens when you create Aliens; but I suspect this film has a sub-text and was surprised the Alien didn't shriek Allahu Akbar when bursting forth from various stomachs. Loving it seems, is of no importance. A confused film, without a cat. And the music is repetitive, shaped by cliche's and a nuisance. 4/10.

alpha2117
06-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I stand corrected, Godfather II as new peer...thanks for slapping back to my senses.

But all the Godfather films are almost unwatchable twaddle. I think they are beautifully made, shot and acted but storywise it's just absolutely painful to watch for mine.

danoblue
06-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Just saw it and liked it a lot. The mood is more Alien than Aliens which would be right since Ridley Scott directed the original Alien and Prometheus.

Can't wait for the Bluray to come out as this movie is worth a second watch.

Big fan of all the Alien Films and I liked AVP Requiem but AVP the first one not as much. Also AVP REquiem has an appearance from Mrs. Yutani at the end of the movie who will soon merge her company with Weyland.

I don't know how this movie will do since it's not all crash bang boom like the Avengers but anyone who likes the Alien films will like this one.

danoblue
06-09-2012, 01:18 AM

-Quinn

The extended Aliens 3 was a much improvement over the theatrical cut, although the theatrical ending was better. Fincher turned a blind eye to this cut but did not try and stop it or publically disown it. The extended tried to restore and recreate Fincher's original vision of 3.

RadiusDark
06-09-2012, 01:20 AM
I walked out about an hour in. Had too much to do and the movie didn't seem to be getting any better.

bigdog3526
06-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Prometheus was a pretty big letdown. A couple of cool shout outs to the previous films ("David, WE ARE LEAVING!!) but other than that a snooze, didn't live up to the hype.
And I teared up at the end of MIB3, too.

sukumvit boy
06-09-2012, 02:32 AM
I went to see the 3D version last night; it looks spectacular although I think that 3D technology adds little more than 30% of the quality of the film. In the first Alien, the spacecraft was called Nostomo, a reference to the novel by Conrad without explaining why; in this film the robot character David models himself on Lawrence of Arabia, again without explanation. Prometheus gave fire to the humans and was punished by the Gods, and 'The New Prometheus' is the sub-title of Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein. This Scott film is a gloomy attempt to depict human beings as fundamentally self-destructive, while adding in the mind-numbing stupidity of Erich van Daneken's Chariots of the Gods even though the main character -an archaeologist/anthropologist wears a crucifix and evidently thinks Darwin and evolution is of no importance in understanding where people come from -a view that would make the film pointless. None of the characters in the film except David has any charisma or real purpose, just the usual stereotypes of scientists and real men who drink and drive.

Prometheus in the Greek context is part of the hugely important narrative in which human beings take control of their lives away from the Gods, the story of Philoctetes is another. Prometheus should thus be about the denial of Gods as architects of human society, but just as with Shelley, whoever they are and on whatever planet they come from, create humans and you find that killing is what they do best; apparently this is also what happens when you create Aliens; but I suspect this film has a sub-text and was surprised the Alien didn't shriek Allahu Akbar when bursting forth from various stomachs. Loving it seems, is of no importance. A confused film, without a cat. And the music is repetitive, shaped by cliche's and a nuisance. 4/10.

Thanks Stavros,great post.

Stavros
06-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the compliment -today's Guardian has 10 questions on Prometheus which don't seem to have a logical answer, but then logic isn't part of the film. But it doesn't answer the question Why does David fashion his hair after Lawrence of Arabia?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jun/08/prometheus-ten-key-questions

Jamie French
06-09-2012, 09:56 AM
I went expecting an experience, what I got was middle of the road sci-fi flick. I thought I cared about the origin story of the alien species, the corporate interest in acquiring it, etc. but by the end of the film I realized all I wanted was to be brought back to the place that the original film was really all about... fear of the unknown in the dark, and suspense. I wanted the bleak, primal horror movie that was made in 1979 and all I got was an ultra sharp, HD yawner. One dimensional, cliched stock characters who give you no reason to care or even really hate them. The motives of the antagonists/protagonists lacked gravity. Reactions to overwhelming events were shrugged off. A romance was ham-fistedly crammed into place for easily accessible plot points. Duex Ex Machina was in play... it was lit too brightly, no atmosphere, no real sense of unease, no tension. It was all paint by numbers with a very expensive brush.

Prospero
06-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Jamie wrote: "It was all paint by numbers with a very expensive brush." GREAT LINE.

Didn't get my expected preview tickets for this (damn) but on reading the reviews here I'm tempted not to bother. It sounds like a gloriously expensive visual feast, but mind numbingly stupid and designed to shock. Not really my kind of film in the end. But I might go see it at the IMAX as it's a talking point.

Teydyn
06-09-2012, 11:26 AM
And again the characters made so many stupid mistakes... i was more then surprised by the flamethrower-action :D

Stavros
06-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Is it the case that Ridley Scott when he goes techie gets so obsessed with what technology can do he forgets to tell a coherent story? I am looking at his filmography, amongst which there is worthless garbage like GI Jane, American Gangster, Thelma and Louise, there are the techy films like Blade Runner (hugely over-rated) and Alien, and the Cecil B de Mille stuff like Gladiator, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Hannibal and Kingdom of Heaven none of which I have seen; but I must admit to appreciating the editing and overall conception of Black Hawk Down, which looks like his most successful film. Feedback on the ones mentioned and others welcomed, I don't want to dismiss him entirely. David Fincher is another director who often puts show before substance.

youngblood61
06-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Still looking forward to seeing it despite the mixed reviews.:smile:

TheMadMan
06-09-2012, 11:38 AM
A few things come to mind after watching it:

(Spoilers)

* Why wasn't the woman's abortion discussed AT ALL after it occured?

* Why wasn't the zombie guy's attack discussed AT ALL after it occured?

* I liked the Space Jockey's looking like aliens, not babies on steroids.

* So, to get a Xenomorph, a man must be infected with black goop, he must impregnate a woman, the woman must birth a squid, the squid must attack an Engineer, and the Engineer in turn gives birth to a Xenomorph? That seems really complicated, and doesn't explain at all how a shipload of them gets on LV-426

* Shallow Characters, no tension, unnecessary characters and plot points (The girls father died of Ebola? Didn't seem to contribute much).

* The best part was the special effects. This is a good thing when the story is good too. I did not think that was the case with this film.

Teydyn
06-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Switch your brain off and keep it off, maybe dont sleep the night before... :D

Prospero
06-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I think Stavros is probably the harshest film critic I've ever come across - dismissing films that are hugely popular as worthless rubbish. And meanwhile praising the sort of art films many would find utterly tedious - even if they fulfill the criteria of "art." There is - surely - a place for entertainment which is not high art. Thus "Thelma and Louise" while no masterpiece was a good and entertaining evening. Cinema is a bastard form - ranging from drivel to high art. I think Stavros you swing to the far end of the spectrum and dismiss most films out of hand if they don't meet your own rigorous standards.

Richctdude
06-09-2012, 01:34 PM
its on my list!!!!!!!!

Stavros
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I think Stavros is probably the harshest film critic I've ever come across - dismissing films that are hugely popular as worthless rubbish. And meanwhile praising the sort of art films many would find utterly tedious - even if they fulfill the criteria of "art." There is - surely - a place for entertainment which is not high art. Thus "Thelma and Louise" while no masterpiece was a good and entertaining evening. Cinema is a bastard form - ranging from drivel to high art. I think Stavros you swing to the far end of the spectrum and dismiss most films out of hand if they don't meet your own rigorous standards.

You won't be surprised if I disagree -I have listed popular films that I like and watch repeatedly, for example Clint Eastwood, the Transporter films, the Bourne trilogy, and so on. The primary purpose of film is to tell a story, some artistic or adventurous or slightly mad film-makers have their own way of telling a story, and just as there is a difference in style between Stephen King and Joseph Conrad, so there is a difference between Eastwood and Bela Tarr, but as I have catholic tastes I can manage both.

The problem with Thelma and Louise is that it not only glorifies violence, it transplants the agents of violence from men to women, as if that made it acceptable -it doesn't; the script is poor, the acting is mediocre, the film's mise-en-scene tired and boring. It tells the kind of story after which one is more likely to say So what? rather than wow! There is an article in today's Guardian about the weakness of Billy Wilder's oeuvre, although I don't see how Some Like it Not can be classed in the same breath as Double Imdemnity, Sunset Boulevard, or Fedora.

I sometimes think you try too hard to be inclusive -yet you yourself have admitted detesting films which others can't get enough of. So we must leave it at the level of storytelling, either it works or it doesn't.

TabStorm
06-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I thought it was good but it was missing something. Some of the characters were unneeded too. The 3D wasn't impressive enough to say it would be better than traditional film
3 out of 5 cocks for me

Teydyn
06-09-2012, 10:22 PM
The primary purpose of film is to tell a story
No?

The primary purpose is to deliver fun (maybe by telling a good story, but 90 minutes mindless nonstop action can deliver the same)

buttslinger
06-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Why was Peter O'Toole in there?

danoblue
06-10-2012, 12:50 AM
A few things come to mind after watching it:

(Spoilers)

* Why wasn't the woman's abortion discussed AT ALL after it occured?

* Why wasn't the zombie guy's attack discussed AT ALL after it occured?

* I liked the Space Jockey's looking like aliens, not babies on steroids.

* So, to get a Xenomorph, a man must be infected with black goop, he must impregnate a woman, the woman must birth a squid, the squid must attack an Engineer, and the Engineer in turn gives birth to a Xenomorph? That seems really complicated, and doesn't explain at all how a shipload of them gets on LV-426
a
* Shallow Characters, no tension, unnecessary characters and plot points (The girls father died of Ebola? Didn't seem to contribute much).

* The best part was the special effects. This is a good thing when the story is good too. I did not think that was the case with this film.

I think the abortion wasn't discussed because Elizabeth Shaw came running into the room and was shocked to see Weyland alive who was anxious to see the Pilot (Space Jockey) and become young again, healed, immortal etc. So there really wasn't time and all focus was on what Weyland wanted. Even with all the blood on Elizabeth it was all about Weyland.

I think David the android knew what had happened with Elizabeth and it was an experiment on his part to find out more about the creatures but he didn't have time to see the result of the birth since he was getting Weyland ready and he knew about the pilot being alive.

Also David put the black goop into Charlie's drink to also see what would happen and may have also thought it might be a way to transport the alien micro-organism back to earth. Ash the android in Alien also was programmed to bring the Alien back at all costs. Carter Burke in Aliens also had the same directive. It' all about bringing the Alien back to earth to study and exploit.

I liked Prometheus a lot and will buy the Bluray to watch again. It's not as good as Alien or Aliens. But remember, Blade Runner another Ridley Scott film got mixed review when it came out. I really liked Blade Runner when it came out but it was a really different film to get my head around. The more I watched it the more I got out of it.

I don't think Prometheus is in the same league, but I'm hoping there will be a sequel.

Also it's great how we got some back story on the Space Jockey.

The Alien birthed from Elizabeth was like a giant Face Hugger and which then impregnated the Space Jockey.

What we saw in Prometheus over the next century evolved into a smaller face hugger and a more evolved Alien encountered by the Alien crew.

Stavros
06-10-2012, 08:24 AM
No?

The primary purpose is to deliver fun (maybe by telling a good story, but 90 minutes mindless nonstop action can deliver the same)

Porn might be an hour or so of 'fun' but is there a story? I stick with the original purpose, to tell a story. Sometimes fun is best left to a private room rather than a cinema; although there have been cinemas...(eg the now demolished Biogrope in London)...

Prospero
06-11-2012, 12:23 AM
In the end it's subjective judgement.

hwbs
06-11-2012, 02:19 AM
i liked the movie and the cinematography but the 3d was practically non existant but it was nice with the imax and the cranked up thx sound

youngblood61
06-11-2012, 02:34 AM
It seems with some of the reviews people expected to get all the answers right away. This is the first of a trilogy so most of the questions will be answered. They certainly aren't going to give away all the answers in the first movie. I can't wait to see it.:smile:

RallyCola
06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
fuck me that movie sucked ass.

don't see prometheus. all you end up doing is regretting it.

there is NO tension in the film. it creates more questions than it has time to answer. the effects were poor. the film was too long. there are unnecessary characters. dialogue is strained. its completely predictable at every step. i really don't even want to think about the movie to make a list of all the problems...it is just by far the worst movie i have seen in 2012...and maybe longer.

youngblood61
06-11-2012, 08:58 AM

there is NO tension in the film. it creates more questions than it has time to answer. the effects were poor. the film was too long. there are unnecessary characters. dialogue is strained. its completely predictable at every step. i really don't even want to think about the movie to make a list of all the problems...it is just by far the worst movie i have seen in 2012...and maybe longer.Wow that bad? I have to see it for myself.:smile:

BluegrassCat
06-11-2012, 09:08 AM
It's visually beautiful with one really hardcore scene. Plot-wise it's pretty silly but still worth seeing.

TsJennifer
06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
saw it. It was entertaining....

Cecil Rhodes
06-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Actually it ranks 1st ....... hehehe

Cecil Rhodes
06-11-2012, 03:03 PM

there is NO tension in the film. it creates more questions than it has time to answer. the effects were poor. the film was too long. there are unnecessary characters. dialogue is strained. its completely predictable at every step. i really don't even want to think about the movie to make a list of all the problems...it is just by far the worst movie i have seen in 2012...and maybe longer.

Why ? Is it because it has the MILF Asian Pothead from American Pie in it ?

Oh, let's not forget the computer/IA's voice when it addressed David ..... Hello David ...... rotflmao

krissy4u
06-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I went expecting an experience, what I got was middle of the road sci-fi flick. I thought I cared about the origin story of the alien species, the corporate interest in acquiring it, etc. but by the end of the film I realized all I wanted was to be brought back to the place that the original film was really all about... fear of the unknown in the dark, and suspense. I wanted the bleak, primal horror movie that was made in 1979 and all I got was an ultra sharp, HD yawner. One dimensional, cliched stock characters who give you no reason to care or even really hate them. The motives of the antagonists/protagonists lacked gravity. Reactions to overwhelming events were shrugged off. A romance was ham-fistedly crammed into place for easily accessible plot points. Duex Ex Machina was in play... it was lit too brightly, no atmosphere, no real sense of unease, no tension. It was all paint by numbers with a very expensive brush.

I went to see Prometheus over the weekend and I agree with Jamie's assessment. It was kind of interesting and had some truly beautiful scenery shots but on the whole... YAWN.

The theater I went to was crawling with kids so no surprise that Madagascar 3 beat it out... which should say something... just not sure what.

Sunny Dee-lite
06-11-2012, 08:33 PM
i liked it thought it was good!!!

tao1kiku
06-12-2012, 02:45 AM
To me it's a movie you really have to pay attention to, all the little details. Yes, there were big holes in the presentation of the story, may be more of a fault with the editing. It seemed like it should have been a 3 hour movie that was compressed. Saw it in 3D, stunning visually. And will see it again to try and catch more of the details and visuals.

RadiusDark
06-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Well, I thought the effects were alright. Actually, I thought they were stunning for the most part.

Don't know how long it was, because I was wanting it to hurry up and end so bad after an hour that I walked out of the theatre to use the bathroom and just left.

The dialogue was pretty bad. Especially the captain. It would have been much better if he'd just used his regular voice (African British actor trying to sound like a cowboy).

To me, a movie like this should be well written and this was not. You can watch an original SyFy movie and get a script just as well written.

I think The Avengers may have ruined movie going for me for a while. I thought Men In Black III was pretty weak as well and I can't get motivated to go to the movies like I usually am.

theone1982
06-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Great movie. But, like all movies with a lot of hype, people shit on it just because. If this slipped under the radar and came out with absolutly no hype people would be saying it's a classic.

BluegrassCat
06-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Great movie. But, like all movies with a lot of hype, people shit on it just because. If this slipped under the radar and came out with absolutly no hype people would be saying it's a classic.

Yup.

I was reading an interview with the actor (Green) who played Holloway (dude who got in infected) and this embarrassing exchange took place:

Interviewer: Why is Holloway such a jerk to David?

Logan Marshall-Green: "It's something that I wanted to implement and I really, really liked it. Michael and I had a blast with it. It's something I haven't seen in science fiction, which is a sense of racism or bigotry towards androids and synthetic life."

Who let this guy talk to the press? I mean if you're an actor who's never seen a sci-fi movie, fine, but for fucks sake, don't expound on patterns that define a genre when you have no clue what you're talking about. What about a little film called Star Wars, or the Asimov series, or Terminator or the other fucking Alien movies! I'm having trouble thinking of a movie that doesn't have animosity towards androids.

They also interview the screen-writer who escapes doing a face-plant but kinda comes off like a douche.

http://io9.com/5917448/all-of-your-lingering-prometheus-questions-answered?tag=prometheus

Cecil Rhodes
06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Yup.

I was reading an interview with the actor (Green) who played Holloway (dude who got in infected) and this embarrassing exchange took place:

Interviewer: Why is Holloway such a jerk to David?

Logan Marshall-Green: "It's something that I wanted to implement and I really, really liked it. Michael and I had a blast with it. It's something I haven't seen in science fiction, which is a sense of racism or bigotry towards androids and synthetic life."

Who let this guy talk to the press? I mean if you're an actor who's never seen a sci-fi movie, fine, but for fucks sake, don't expound on patterns that define a genre when you have no clue what you're talking about. What about a little film called Star Wars, or the Asimov series, or Terminator or the other fucking Alien movies! I'm having trouble thinking of a movie that doesn't have animosity towards androids.

They also interview the screen-writer who escapes doing a face-plant but kinda comes off like a douche.

http://io9.com/5917448/all-of-your-lingering-prometheus-questions-answered?tag=prometheus

You mean Droids are allowed in the Mos Isley Cantina ?

Cecil Rhodes
06-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Well, I thought the effects were alright. Actually, I thought they were stunning for the most part.

Don't know how long it was, because I was wanting it to hurry up and end so bad after an hour that I walked out of the theatre to use the bathroom and just left.

The dialogue was pretty bad. Especially the captain. It would have been much better if he'd just used his regular voice (African British actor trying to sound like a cowboy).

To me, a movie like this should be well written and this was not. You can watch an original SyFy movie and get a script just as well written.

I think The Avengers may have ruined movie going for me for a while. I thought Men In Black III was pretty weak as well and I can't get motivated to go to the movies like I usually am.

Of course MIB 3 sucked . there are 2 main reason why it would be obvious before hand .

1st it was a 3-quel and 2nd it had Will Smith in it .

BluegrassCat
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM
You mean Droids are allowed in the Mos Isley Cantina ?

Of course they are! Who's ever heard of being mean to droids? Not Logan Marshall-Green.

zerrrr
06-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Not sure how people here will take this but lots of spoilers here and definitely something to think about:

Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Cecil Rhodes
06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Of course they are! Who's ever heard of being mean to droids? Not Logan Marshall-Green.

You never saw an android loose his head in any of the other films in the ALIEN Franchise .

RadiusDark
06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I didn't think it sucked, it just was no where near the movie Avengers was.

Hell, that incredible summer that Iron Man, Hancock, The Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder, The Incredible Hulk, and Wanted (and that wack ass Indiana Jones movie) all came out was single-handedly topped by Avengers in my mind...

Of course MIB 3 sucked . there are 2 main reason why it would be obvious before hand .

1st it was a 3-quel and 2nd it had Will Smith in it .

JenniferParisHusband
06-12-2012, 02:00 PM
For anyone who questioned the plot holes in the movie, and some of the questions that it left unanswered (like what the incident was that caused them to turn on humans, what the black goo really was, etc.) Fear not, Ridley Scott has announced that the Blue Ray will be an extended version of the movie with a lot of additional material.

Cecil Rhodes
06-12-2012, 02:12 PM
For anyone who questioned the plot holes in the movie, and some of the questions that it left unanswered (like what the incident was that caused them to turn on humans, what the black goo really was, etc.) Fear not, Ridley Scott has announced that the Blue Ray will be an extended version of the movie with a lot of additional material.

Humans killed Jesus

shaustin
06-12-2012, 07:36 PM

I still have fear. Scott likes to call himself a business man above a filmmaker and openly admits his first priority is getting butts in seats. The extra 20-30 minutes that will be in the home release just help to flesh out some of the scenes and their transitions, I highly doubt anything of true importance (i.e. answering the big questions) will be included. He said that the scenes were only cut to begin with to shorten the run time and because the movie didn't have the flow of a summer popcorn movie like the studio and him wanted. Like a true businessman Scott says he purposely left room for multiple sequels which is why there are so few answers in the film. If you ask me he just wants to milk sci-fi fans some more in summers to come.

danifan
06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Think this movie has split audiences and I've just seen it, having stayed well away from any reviews or spoilers...

It was interesting. Had great ideas and didn't condescend to audiences by spelling everything out to them...

HOWEVER

...they could have added a little more info to make things less open to interpretation but still not literally spelled out. There were a few plot holes but my main gripes were:

No really memorable crew members. I can't remebember more than four or five character names but I bet we can all name the Nostromo's crew...

Talking of which, while Prometheus structural and thematic links to Alien could be seen as cool/awful depending on tastes, it highlighted an almost total lack of tension. Watching Alien time after time is still more tense than Prometheus...

Modern film making meant that Prometheus looks slicker and more advanced than Alien...but also more soulless, despite more action (well, explosions n shit)

Still, liked how the ending veered the movie away from we all thought it was going to be...

SMCMarit
06-13-2012, 12:57 AM
I loved the movie! the only thing i didn't like was the fact that ( in my opinion) the end was a little bit rushed!

Glowing Spine
06-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Has had mixed reviews in the UK. Can it be worse than either Alien or Blade Runner? Apparently, yes.

Well, since you cite two of the best movies of the 20th century, it can't be ALL bad.

runningdownthatdream
06-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Stavros and Jamie both nailed it in their reviews.

To me, the script appeared to have either been written by a pre-teen or written for pre-teens - contrived, simplistic, dull. Some great aerial shots of 'the planet' but other shots the same or worse than a 60s B-movie. Acting ridiculous for the most part - Idris Elba with a black, southern US accent!?! C'mon...................worse than Samuel Jackson trying to sound Scottish. Fassbender is a good actor but he couldn't dumb down enough to play the AI character. Sean Harris as the overwrought Brit or Scotsman or whatever the fuck he was supposed to be was lame as was Logan Marshall-Green whose name will hopefully turn out to be longer than his career.

Noomi Rapace was the only one worth watching on screen!

Waste of money and won't even be worth downloading!

GroobySteven
06-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Just seen this at the Imax 3D in Universal Studios. Fucking awesome.
A beautiful looking film you'd expect from Ridley Scott, great story, great actors (although why did Idris Alba have an American accent?). Great stuff. Best movie I've seen for a long while.

Jamie French
06-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Everything you need to know about Prometheus in 4 minutes. I love these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

robertlouis
06-14-2012, 02:58 AM
You never saw an android loose his head in any of the other films in the ALIEN Franchise .

So you never saw the original Alien then, Cecil?

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSh1oYc9Ii4&feature=related

karaalextv
06-14-2012, 03:03 AM
this movie was AWEFUL.

too may story lines....

Charlize Theron's character was irrelevant to the entire plot.

She just walked around in 4 inch heels the entire time...which wasn't too bad.

Cecil Rhodes
06-14-2012, 08:59 AM
So you never saw the original Alien then, Cecil?

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSh1oYc9Ii4&feature=related

your reply doesn't make sense .

E5I50
06-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Being a huge fan of alien and the first three sequels I declare that this movie sucked. Cool filming yes. Story. My friends 10 year old kid can write a better story with more beleivable characters. Scott blew it big. Fire his writer. Sad so many years waiting since I saw Alien on its opening and waited to be so pissed about a poorly made/acted movie.

robertlouis
06-14-2012, 02:37 PM
your reply doesn't make sense .

Ash played by Ian Holm loses his head in the original movie. Watch the clip.

Teydyn
06-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Maybe Cecil intended to put a ? behind that sentence?

Cecil Rhodes
06-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Ash played by Ian Holm loses his head in the original movie. Watch the clip.

why do i need to watch the clip .... i know what happened to Ash . That is why i posted what i did . it was the same reason i posted what i did about the Mos Isley Cantina . go back and read the posts they were replied to .

Prospero
11-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Reviving an old, old thread... but I finally got to see Prometheus on DD today. I can see that it would be spectacular on the IMAX, but what a lot of overblown nonsense. Ludicrous.

LibertyHarkness
11-16-2012, 04:39 PM
i actually thought the film was very clever if you have the mindset that it is nothing to do with alien/aliens directly ...

its open definately for a sequel to expand more on the engineers etc .... the only real tangible link to alien i think they could press on is the woman sending warning beacons at end ... and in alien they home in on a beacon .. now alien i beleive is set like 60years after this movie ...

But for what it was i enjoyed the movie , not of the same standard as alien or aliens

Prospero
11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Indeed... well it is all a matter of opinion! Friends told me to avoid it as one of the worst films they'd ever seen. Disagree on that but it was - for me - tripe.

LibertyHarkness
11-16-2012, 04:49 PM
a much better scifi film is a danny boyle one called "sunshine" amazing movie ...

danthepoetman
11-16-2012, 05:35 PM
So in the end, should we invest 2 hours of our precious time, or not? To me two hours to nonthingness is a terrible loss...

LibertyHarkness
11-16-2012, 05:42 PM
its about entertainment ... for me i was entertained ...

danthepoetman
11-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I’m not “against” being entertained, Libby. I’ll trust you and give it a try. :)

Prospero
11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I agree about Sunshine. For me the best sci fi film I've seen was one called "Solaris" (The Russian version)

And no - no harm in being entertained at all.

Odelay
02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
* So, to get a Xenomorph, a man must be infected with black goop, he must impregnate a woman, the woman must birth a squid, the squid must attack an Engineer, and the Engineer in turn gives birth to a Xenomorph? That seems really complicated, and doesn't explain at all how a shipload of them gets on LV-426.
Hahaha. I normally wouldn't have bumped this thread but "TheMadMan", above, broke his 5 year silence to post this as his very first post. It's safe to say that any paid critic that wrote 100's or 1000's of words to slag this film, fell short of this.

Well done!