PDA

View Full Version : S.D. Governor Signs Abortion Ban Into Law

chefmike
03-07-2006, 12:36 AM
S.D. Governor Signs Abortion Ban Into Law By CHET BROKAW, Associated Press Writer
Mon Mar 6, 1:36 PM ET

PIERRE, S.D. - Gov. Mike Rounds on Monday signed legislation banning almost all abortions in South Dakota.

The Legislature passed the ban late last month, focusing nationwide interest on the state as the governor decided what to do about the measure.

The law, designed to raise a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion, is scheduled to take effect July 1.

Under the law, doctors in South Dakota will face up to five years in prison for performing an abortion except when the procedure is necessary to save the mother's life.

Rounds issued a technical veto of a similar measure two years ago because it would have wiped out all existing restrictions on abortion while the bill was tied up for years in a court challenge.

South Dakota Planned Parenthood said it planned a quick court challenge.

BeardedOne
03-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Yet another slap from the state that brought you 30% credit card interest by setting an example and scragging its usory laws.

Trogdor
03-07-2006, 05:04 AM
These conservatives are gonna turn back the clock now over the next years, just to make the religious right happy. :roll:

Within a decade, the national anthem is gonna be Dixieland :P

Yourdaddy's probably getting a hardon from this Governor

and Governor, this is for you. :crap

chefmike
03-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Onward Christian Soldiers! The Bush Army of God continues to march on...

Welcome to Senator Bill Napoli's X-Rated Mind
Rachel Sklar 03/22/2006

Let me say at the outset of this post that I have an agenda: to raise awareness of South Dakota Senator Bill Napoli's sick and twisted inner fantasy life.

Have you heard of the good Senator? Allow me to introduce him. He's a Republican State Senator for South Dakota. He's a big fan of the state's recent abortion ban, which permits an abortion only where the mother's life is endangered, and makes no exception for cases of rape or incest.

He thinks most abortions are performed for "convenience."

But hey. He's a compassionate guy, and he can even think of a circumstance under which he'd make an exception. I mean, he's really thought about it, clearly often and in great detail:

"A real-life description to me would be a rape victim, brutally raped, savaged. The girl was a virgin. She was religious. She planned on saving her virginity until she was married. She was brutalized and raped, sodomized as bad as you can possibly make it, and is impregnated. I mean, that girl could be so messed up, physically and psychologically, that carrying that child could very well threaten her life."
This scarily specific, fully-formed rape fantasy has been outraging the blogosphere since March 3, 2006; as Salon's Rebecca Traister said: "I want to scrub my eyeballs with bleach in the hopes that I can erase the memory of having read those words coming from the mouth of an elected official." With profound apologies to your eyeballs, I've posted Napoli's scary scary screed because I think it's important that people know that there's a Senator out there passing off his disturbing sadomasochistic fantasies as "policy." I know, I'm funny that way.

I'm glad that Wonkette and Molly Ivins and Daily Kos and yes, HuffPo are funny that way, too. Why I'm bringing this up again now: three weeks later, why isn't the rest of the media? Why aren't they on this guy? Searches in the New York Times and Washington Post turn up nothing, same with Newsweek and Time (and what, nothing on Fox? Shocking!). Yes, I have an agenda, but it seems to me that when an elected official makes this kind of statement, he must be called on it -- especially when that statement is made in support of a Draconian law that is on the march in Utah, Missouri, Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia. C'mon, NYT. Give it up, Newsweek. Let this skeevy toad know that people are paying attention.

Actually, why wait? Let him know yourself, via this handy online form where you can send him a note that says "Dear Senator Napoli, please stay away from my daughter." That's kind of funny, too.

This article and it's links here-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-sklar/welcome-to-senator-bill-n_b_17669.html

trish
03-23-2006, 12:41 AM
i believe a woman should have the option of aborting any child up until its learns third semester calculus.

BeardedOne
03-23-2006, 01:52 AM
i believe a woman should have the option of aborting any child up until its learns third semester calculus.

:lol: :lol:

Actually, in some cases, I don't think there should be a limit.

chefmike
03-23-2006, 01:55 AM

:lol: :lol:

Actually, in some cases, I don't think there should be a limit.

Have you been talking to my mom?

LCF
03-23-2006, 02:23 AM
No mommy no! *Is chased by the vacuum cleaner*

No seriously, it's obvious they did this just so that it will get brought to the supreme court. It deliberately contradicts Roe Vs. Wade, and the conservatives are hoping that with a now mostly conservative supreme court, they can overturn it.

Quinn
03-23-2006, 02:41 AM
I've taken a number of road trips across North America, one of which actually brought me through South Dakota. I'll just add this latest bit of information to my very lengthy list of reasons to never return there. Yuuuucccckkk!!!!!

-Quinn

Felicia Katt
03-23-2006, 03:43 AM
Shame that these legislators forget the Oath they swore to protect and uphold the Constitution, from all enemies, foreign and domestic. Maybe they had their fingers crossed. They have been trying to pass limited laws to erode a woman's right to choose and to have sovereignty over her own body but this is more like trying to cause a legal landslide. It may cause a lot more damage and in different areas than they intend.

FK

Kramer
03-23-2006, 04:57 AM
Im pretty sure I heard some Supreme court justice say that "abortion is not a constitutional right". Therfore the states should rule seperately. Thus the SD ruling. Why not let the states decide???? :roll:

flabbybody
03-23-2006, 05:30 AM
you heard wrong kramer.
roe vs wade took the states out of the picture. It established the the constitutional right of a woman in the USA to abort her pregnancy. South Dakota, Mississsippi, or any other vermin infested white racist state cannot interfere with this civil right. Unless Bush can get enough Christian fanatic reactionaries on the Supreme Court before he's out of office to overturn this basic civil right.

The same way Brown vs Board of Ed made separate but equal schools effectively UNEQUAL in 1954. I'm sure South Dakota would prefer their black kids to go to separate schools, but they would be breaking federal law and the Governor would be subject to arresst.

Kramer
03-24-2006, 05:47 AM
It must have been one of the judges that wants it reversed. Im sure I heard it though.

chefmike
03-24-2006, 06:14 AM
It must have been one of the judges that wants it reversed. Im sure I heard it though.

Yes, I'm sure that rush the junkie, oreilly, etc. gleefully reported that to you and your ilk..and if that bunch ever had their way, log cabin repug sycophants like yourself would no doubt be burned at the stake, you hypocrite... 8) 8)

Kramer
03-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Fuck you you cunt!

chefmike
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Fuck you you cunt!

tsk, tsk....someone has a potty mouth....what's the matter VonKramer, wake up on the wrong side of the toilet today?

Kramer
03-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Your still a pussy, chef. A real computer tough guy.

chefmike
03-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Your still a pussy, chef. A real computer tough guy.

A real computer tough guy? Like the the loser who threatened to punch Arianna in the face when he was once again proven to be a reich-wing cretin? Wasn't that you? Maybe you better shut your cock-holster before you make an even bigger ass of yourself...

Trogdor
03-25-2006, 01:11 AM
:popcorn

chefmike
03-26-2006, 12:09 AM
More on the GOP agenda...

Right Is Might for GOP's Aspirants

By Janet Hook, Times Staff Writer
March 25, 2006

WASHINGTON — Most Americans know one thing about Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, if they know anything at all: He lost more than 100 pounds in one year, a triumph touted in a weight-loss book that he has hawked around the country.

But evangelical conservative activists know one or two other things that make the governor a standout among Republicans who may run for president in 2008: Huckabee is a Baptist minister and a fierce defender of traditional family values.

"Let's face it," he recently told a crowd of Christian conservatives in Iowa, the state that holds the nation's earliest presidential caucuses. "In our lifetimes, we've seen our country go from 'Leave It to Beaver' to 'Beavis and Butt-head,' from Barney Fife to Barney Frank, from 'Father Knows Best' to television shows where father knows nothing."

Huckabee's early outreach to evangelicals — in Iowa and elsewhere — is a tribute to the clout of the GOP's Christian conservative wing. That faction was crucial to President Bush's reelection in 2004, and is maneuvering to have a big say in who wins the party's nomination in 2008.

The Iowa Christian Alliance has invited all of the potential Republican candidates to address voters around the state. Antiabortion activists have scrutinized potential contenders' records. A coalition of national conservative groups has summoned potential candidates to a conference here in September that it expects to be attended by 2,000 or more "values voters."

"We are looking forward to a vibrant competition among politicians for these voters," said Gary Bauer, a conservative leader who ran for president in 2000. "No one owns them."

Because no candidate has a lock on conservative evangelicals, virtually all of the major Republican politicians — even those who have been at odds with the Christian right on hot-button issues — see an opportunity to win their favor.

Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has disavowed past statements supporting abortion rights. Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) dropped his support for covering homosexuals in hate crimes legislation. Even Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York mayor, whose liberal record on social issues is anathema to many conservatives, recently spoke to a meeting of evangelical leaders in the South.

But social and religious conservatives' influence may be limited by the fact that they have not rallied around one candidate. The potential candidates with the best showings in early polls — Giuliani and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) — are viewed with suspicion by many conservatives. Yet those whom many regard as soul mates of religious conservatives, such as Huckabee and Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), are among the least-known, which suggests they would have the highest hurdles to cross to win the nomination.

So some activists are urging social conservatives to close ranks behind a like-minded candidate to maximize their impact.

"If we get together and get behind a single candidate, we can be formidable," said Paul M. Weyrich, a conservative leader. "But if we are split up into eight different camps … it's going to destroy any chance of being effective."

It is not clear when or whether that agreement will happen. But it is clear that this faction is still a force, as potential candidates move to curry its favor — or at least stay off its enemies list.

"No one seems to be running from the right," said Brian Hart, Brownback's communications director. "Every named candidate is making a play for the right, and some seem to be doing a decent job of it. A year ago you would've said, 'No way McCain would be courting conservatives.' You never would have said a Massachusetts governor would be courting conservatives."

Christian conservatives — mostly white evangelical Protestants and increasingly Catholics — have been a crucial part of the GOP base during the Bush years. They tend to be more concerned about social issues such as abortion, religion in public life and same-sex marriage than are GOP economic conservatives, whose top priorities are cutting taxes and regulation.

With no indisputable front-runner in the emerging GOP field, religious conservatives have an opportunity to wield more influence in the selection than they have had in recent years. In 2000, the establishment consensus behind Bush formed so early that other candidates with closer ties to the religious right, such as Bauer and Alan Keyes, were mere also-rans.

Still, evangelicals easily warmed to Bush, a born-again Christian. They provided crucial votes in the contested 2000 election and even more in his 2004 reelection.

According to exit polls, Bush received 78% of the white evangelical vote in 2004, up 10 percentage points from 2000, says the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. Bush also received 52% of the Catholic vote, up from 47% in 2000.

Jennifer Duffy, an analyst for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, estimates that a third or more of GOP primary voters are Christian conservatives. That means that they may not be strong enough to pick a nominee, but "they are strong enough to give candidates they dislike a lot of trouble," said John C. Green, a political scientist at the University of Akron.

That is why, more than two years before the 2008 election, Republicans are traveling the country to shore up support among evangelicals.

Huckabee is building on ties to religious leaders that he made as a Southern Baptist minister and former president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention. He has endorsed South Dakota's new abortion ban, and last week spoke at a Florida gathering hosted by the Center for Reclaiming America for Christ.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-right25mar25,0,916704.story?track=tottext

Friedrich_Nietzsche
03-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Governors are elected by the people aren't they?

So, who ever voted for him, deserves him

As simple as that

Trogdor
03-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Does this mean america is going to be renamed "Jesus Land"? :?

chefmike
04-15-2006, 09:09 PM
LMFAO...funny stuff-

http://southdakotamottocontest.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

BeardedOne
04-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Does this mean america is going to be renamed "Jesus Land"? :?

It hasn't? :shock:

TheBigTreesy
04-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Lets not start an abortion debate. After years dealing eith this subject in Ireland, we have come to one conclusion, that there is no conclusion. It is not a black and white issue and should not be treated as such.

chefmike
04-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Lets not start an abortion debate. After years dealing eith this subject in Ireland, we have come to one conclusion, that there is no conclusion. It is not a black and white issue and should not be treated as such.

Yes, I suppose that it is much easier to send these women with "unwanted pregnancies" away to a proper convent, where they can give birth in secret and learn the error of their ways... :roll:

TheBigTreesy
04-18-2006, 12:58 AM

Yes, I suppose that it is much easier to send these women with "unwanted pregnancies" away to a proper convent, where they can give birth in secret and learn the error of their ways... :roll:

Listen Mike, All I'm saying is it is not a cut and dry subject and it cannot be argued properly from an emotional or sensational standpoint which is inevitable on a message board.