PDA

View Full Version : CRASH wins Oscar for Best Picture

tsluva
03-06-2006, 08:01 AM
"CRASH " suprisingly wins '06 Oscar award for Best Picture of Year.

.... deservely so. IMO.
it was not only one of the very best dramas
movies i've seen in 2005, but also one of the very best
drama movies i've ever seen. (never a dull moment)

Crash beat out the leading favorite "Brokeback Mountain" .
Because of it's contents, i have no interest in seeing
BBMountain, so i have no idea of whether it's even
worth the Oscar hype it's been generating up to the moment.

for those who have yet to see Crash
( don't confuse it with the James Spader version)
i very strongly recommend it.

AllanahStarrNYC
03-06-2006, 08:05 AM
i have not seen crash

but i can tell you that brokeback and capote were also both EXCELLENT films

and can i ask why you find the content of brokeback mountain offensive?

its a really good story- they gay relationship is a small part of it
and the film actually transcends many different meanings and themes

don't be so close minded

twowaybro
03-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Crash....sorry, but 2 thumbs down....didnt like this one @ all....forced multi-culturism. Walk The Line was my fav this year... 8) 8)

AllanahStarrNYC
03-06-2006, 09:02 AM
another excellent film- walk the line

Dengoza
03-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I feel so left out! I didnt see any of the films, but actually now I cant wait to see them all!!! so I guess the Oscars is good advertising! And I have an open mind, I can tell from the reviews that bokeback is not just about being gay... I am looking forward to seeing it, but imagining those guys kissing is honestly a yukky thought... hahaha
I loved the oscars, I think its nice to see these people at the pinacle of their life dreams being emotional etc...

GroobySteven
03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I gave "Crash" two thumbs in the middle - it was ok but never moved me - BUT months later it has stayed with me, so something worked.
Thankgod for little girls...Reese Witherspoon, bless you for being so sweet.
Thank GOD for Clooney - girls like him, guys want to hang out with him - an all round, true Hollywood star.

Best joke of the evening;
"I'd like to introduce two talented brothers, the Owen brothers, I guess I could say the same of the Baldwin family."

All in all - IMO these were the best Oscar nominations forever - all good actors (although Mssr Hurt tad overacted in "History of Violence") and generally movies with some social agenda.
Jolly good.
My pic and not just because I'm a Brit was "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit" fantastic...Cheeeeeese?
seanchai

south ov da border
03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
ok movie, but it came 8-10 years too late. By the time it came out nobody really cared about the themes going on in it. When I saw it, it gave everyone that uncomfortable feeling of how fucked up ppl can be rather than a sense that anything really happened at all.

I'm not surprised that it won, they made a big hooplah. I met Haggis a few months ago, he's cool.

BTW did anyone else feel like Brendan Fraiser was getting it his assistant???

InvisibleTS
03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
The only one I hadn't seen yet is Munich. My Oscar rankings out of those films would have been...

1. Capote
2. Crash
3. Brokeback Mountain
4. Good Night and Good Luck

But I also loved The Constant Gardner and Grizzley Man last year. Saw the least amount of films in the theater this year. I used to see nearly everything but have put that off to save money instead.

The David Cronenberg "Crash" (Jame Spader) is one fucked up movie.

DJ_Asia
03-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I only saw Brokeback Mountain and Crash,and while I thought Crash was good,I think Brokeback was a superior movie.

Certainly the subject matter was not appealing to the mainstream,which I understand but totally disagree with.Look at it this way...people love vampire movies,cop movies,zombie movies,but most folks that go see them arent cops,vampires or zombies,so why do people think that because the movie involved homosexuality that one needed to be gay to understand it,get it or enjoy it?!

DJ Asia

Kramer
03-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey twowaybro, what do you mean by:

Crash....sorry, but 2 thumbs down....didnt like this one @ all....forced multi-culturism.

Quinn
03-06-2006, 04:52 PM
My two cents: Capote was decent. The rest bored the hell out of me. Lots of hype with little delivery.

As an aside, Cronenberg's Crash was a great movie.

-Quinn

Perverted Monk
03-06-2006, 06:42 PM
"Crash" was OK. But I though Terence Howard did a better job in "Hustle & Flow"

Harrys Boy
03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
im really happy with crash wining best picture as its the movie that moved me the most, also i couldnt help thinking that brokeback mountain was a tad overrated.

NickTheQuick
03-06-2006, 08:07 PM
...Certainly the subject matter was not appealing to the mainstream,which I understand but totally disagree with.Look at it this way...people love vampire movies,cop movies,zombie movies,but most folks that go see them arent cops,vampires or zombies,so why do people think that because the movie involved homosexuality that one needed to be gay to understand it,get it or enjoy it?!
DJ Asia

Good point but being a cop is not viewed as a sin by about half the country. And copophobia isn't a term I am familiar with. Also I hope those same retards believe vampires and zombies are fiction, but with some you never know.

I liked Crash very much btw. I would like to see them add a Best Comedy category. Just because a movie makes you laugh it shouldn't get excluded. If 3 6 Mafia can win an Oscar I don't see why Wedding Crashers can't even get a nomination. Those motherfuckers (the Academy and some of the actors) take themselves way too seriously, like they just came up with the cure for cancer. All most of them are doing is being good at lying and playing pretend. Making someone laugh is a real skill, right J?

chefmike
03-06-2006, 08:19 PM

Crash....sorry, but 2 thumbs down....didnt like this one @ all....forced multi-culturism.

What a shocker...Kramer is against multiculturalism...

Kramer
03-06-2006, 11:36 PM
ME? It wasnt my quote you dick! I asked him what he meant, cant you fuckin read?

flabbybody
03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I gota say that a movie that takes place in the sixties about gay cowboys didn't have me running to but a ticket.

I did see the movie about Edward Murrow. He had a lot of balls to take on Senator McCarthy in the era of Communist hysteria. And the fact that Clooney shot it in black and white gave it realism.
I was amazed how everyone smoked cigarettes in the fifties.

deebo
03-06-2006, 11:57 PM
if you think crash isnt a good movie

you must be white

chefmike
03-07-2006, 12:05 AM
ME? It was my quote you dick! I asked him what he meant, cant you fuckin read?

Yeah, I can read you from a mile away, Von Kramer...you quoted it and gave it a sieg-heil...now get to goose-steppin'...ya putz...

Kramer
03-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Go fuck yourselk chef! Uh..............again! :shock:

Kramer
03-07-2006, 12:13 AM
if you think crash isnt a good movie

you must be white

I know nothing about this movie. Why would you make a blanket statement like that? Seems like youre racist, deebo.

south ov da border
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
we're all somewhat racist. That's what Crash dealt with. I didn't get the understanding vibe that some movies give. I'm sure Brokeback mountain isn't as much about the guy-guy thing but more of all the things that went into making shit rough and understanding what went into the decision making process. All crash had was a few isolated occurences thrown together and it was like it was supposed to have a message or something. There were some entertainning aspects of it, but it wasn't really thought provoking to me, but then again I'm an African American male from Miami, Florida so I know fucked up pretty damn well. Made most of the ppl I know think tho, so I Guess it's all in relation.

but as far as the movie goes, I think it was cool resume material.
and it didn't cost them a whole lotta money for the actors that they got. So that's cool.

The other crash actually gave me something to think about tho...

ManOfSteel
03-07-2006, 01:18 AM
I personally prefer watching the Independent Spirit Awards. The Oscars are such a fucking bore. But Crash was a great film and deserved the Oscar.

Brokeback Mountain is a overrated film. It only got so much attention because it starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger. Films like Brokeback have been done various times in indie and foreign films. It was mainly driven by its star power.

I'd have to agree with Quentin Tarantino when he said on Kimmel that Sin City and The Devil's Rejects were overlooked by the Oscars. He also mentioned Hostel but I didn't see that film.

Perverted Monk
03-07-2006, 02:51 AM
I'd have to agree with Quentin Tarantino when he said on Kimmel that Sin City and The Devil's Rejects were overlooked by the Oscars. He also mentioned Hostel but I didn't see that film.

Oooh, I almost forgot about those two. They were good.

ManOfSteel
03-07-2006, 03:19 AM

Oooh, I almost forgot about those two. They were good.

You know what else I think was forgoten, Cinderella Man.

underdog6
03-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Better watch out South you disagreed with the morally insignificant chefcornholed.

tsluva
03-07-2006, 07:57 AM

for those who have yet to see Crash
( don't confuse it with the James Spader version)
i very strongly recommend it.

Are you implying that something was wrong with the James Spader flick?

yep!
i thought getting horny cuz someone having an
possible automobile car wreck was a bit ridiculous.
just never got into it.

tsluva
03-07-2006, 08:02 AM
I personally prefer watching the Independent Spirit Awards. The Oscars are such a fucking bore. But Crash was a great film and deserved the Oscar.

Brokeback Mountain is a overrated film. It only got so much attention because it starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger. Films like Brokeback have been done various times in indie and foreign films. It was mainly driven by its star power.

then keep an eye open because SIN CITY 2 is already in the
making.

Mustard_Plug
03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Actually Cinderalla Man was nominated three times I think, best supporting male actor, make up and I think costume design.

I agree about sin city gettin snub, at least an acknowledgment in terms of special effects would have been well done. Hostel no where near deserves an oscar nod, its an ok flick but not oscar caliber.

I was most surprised that Lord Of War had not been nominated for any category, It was my personal favorite movie of 2005 with Capote at a close second.

AllanahStarrNYC
03-08-2006, 12:38 AM
anyway my biggest upset
was that dolly parton didnt win for best song
or felicity hoffman for transamerica

i hated that song that won and i hated the presentation and performance
btw- i am a rap fan, i just think that songs SUCKS

Ashley
03-08-2006, 01:16 AM
I thought this writer summed it up best:

For those who haven’t seen it, or for those who have seen it and are simply a little slow, Crash is a cheesy, ham-fisted melodrama that makes Peter Jackson look like Wim Wenders. It’s bloated, predictable, filled with flat characters, and unpleasant to watch. It’s a tale about racism that never stops reminding you in bright colors and monosyllabic words and arbitrary plot points that you are watching a movie about racism, and it’s your duty to be moved by the film. If not, you don’t understand it. It’s a movie for people who don’t understand enough about movies to pick a good one from a fake one; it’s the cinematic equivalent of Ayn Rand, a film for posers and wannabes and that guy in your philosophy class who thinks he’s on the ball but pronounces the first “s” in “Descartes.”
----Dan Carlson

Although i liked it, it was NOT best picture. As much as i enjoy movies on race relations, there are much better films about race that were made 20 years ago. this movie is hardly fresh.

ManOfSteel
03-08-2006, 01:37 AM
^Thats one of the most ridiculous movie reviews I've ever read. Dan Carlson obviously doesn't know shit about cinema.

Can't wait to see Sin City 2. Thats definitely a sequel that will be just as good if not better than the original.

Jamie Michelle
03-08-2006, 01:48 AM
The David Cronenberg "Crash" (Jame Spader) is one fucked up movie.

I remember you saying that you liked David Cronenberg films, Crash, needs a special edition DVD though.

eXistenZ is a good movie.

rick_932
03-08-2006, 01:48 AM
I'm glad Crash won. It's quite possibly the best movie ive seen in a long time, and i watch a of movies. matt dillon's performance in it was great.

robbie
03-08-2006, 04:57 AM
I didn't see any of the nominated movies. Not for lack of interest, I've just not been to the movies much in the past year. So I can't say one is better than the other. I've heard a lot of good things about all of them and I'll probably eventually rent all of them.

But, what I don't understand is how the media covers it. All the stories about what a shocker it was that Crash beat BB Mountain. And that BB Mountain lost because in the end Hollywood was too afraid to recognize a gay themed movie in the mainstream.

I don't get that. Hollywood? Afraid to recognize gay themes? Did the media miss that BB Mountain won two of the biggest awards - Director and screenplay? Did the media miss that best actor was awarded for a portrayal of the openly gay Truman Capote who wrote often of gay themes? That Hollywood recognized Transamerica with high profile nominations?

So how is it that because Crash won, suddenly Hollywood is afraid of recognizing gay themes? Hollywood absolutely did recognize gay themes this year. And from what I can tell, the movies and actors they recognized absolutely deserved it. Not because it was a gay theme but because it was a tremendous performance that happened to have a gay theme. Hooray for Hollywood! Now, in the future, hopefully the media can concentrate less on whether it is a gay theme and more on, is it a good movie.

tsluva
03-08-2006, 06:12 AM
I didn't see any of the nominated movies. Not for lack of interest, I've just not been to the movies much in the past year. So I can't say one is better than the other. I've heard a lot of good things about all of them and I'll probably eventually rent all of them.

But, what I don't understand is how the media covers it. All the stories about what a shocker it was that Crash beat BB Mountain. And that BB Mountain lost because in the end Hollywood was too afraid to recognize a gay themed movie in the mainstream.

I don't get that. Hollywood? Afraid to recognize gay themes? Did the media miss that BB Mountain won two of the biggest awards - Director and screenplay? Did the media miss that best actor was awarded for a portrayal of the openly gay Truman Capote who wrote often of gay themes? That Hollywood recognized Transamerica with high profile nominations?

So how is it that because Crash won, suddenly Hollywood is afraid of recognizing gay themes? Hollywood absolutely did recognize gay themes this year. And from what I can tell, the movies and actors they recognized absolutely deserved it. Not because it was a gay theme but because it was a tremendous performance that happened to have a gay theme. Hooray for Hollywood! Now, in the future, hopefully the media can concentrate less on whether it is a gay theme and more on, is it a good movie.

i didn't think it was possible for someone to win Best Director
yet not win Best Picture , that was odd.
Ang Lee seemed visibly disappointed in a backstage interview that
his Brokeback Moutain film did not win Best Pic.

robbie
03-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Of course Ang Lee was disappointed. A director puts his heart and soul into a movie. It's his vision. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't disappointed.

But I agree. I've never understood that either. If a movie is the director's movie; if the movie is the director's vision, how then can you be the best director but your movie wasn't the best movie -- and vice versa?

Honestly, that's a question. Anybody have an informed answer to the difference?

specialk
03-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Of course Ang Lee was disappointed. A director puts his heart and soul into a movie. It's his vision. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't disappointed.

But I agree. I've never understood that either. If a movie is the director's movie; if the movie is the director's vision, how then can you be the best director but your movie wasn't the best movie -- and vice versa?

Honestly, that's a question. Anybody have an informed answer to the difference?

For what it's worth I think Brokeback Mountain really took it up the ass...shoulda got the Oscar!..................Sorry I couln't resist :oops:

GroobySteven
03-09-2006, 04:30 AM

I think I remember reading when Sin City was getting made that it could never be nominated. Rodriquez quit is Directors Guild of American or whatever as they wouldn't allow him to put Frank Miller as a co-director.
seanchai

twowaybro
03-09-2006, 09:33 AM

Kramer,

This movie was just another example of a certain segment of society trying 2 force the idea of multi-culturalism as the mainstream ideal in society imo. Whats so wrong with birds of the same feather flying in the same flock?

reelgurl
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
For those who haven’t seen it, or for those who have seen it and are simply a little slow, Crash is a cheesy, ham-fisted melodrama that makes Peter Jackson look like Wim Wenders. It’s bloated, predictable, filled with flat characters, and unpleasant to watch. It’s a tale about racism that never stops reminding you in bright colors and monosyllabic words and arbitrary plot points that you are watching a movie about racism, and it’s your duty to be moved by the film. If not, you don’t understand it. It’s a movie for people who don’t understand enough about movies to pick a good one from a fake one; it’s the cinematic equivalent of Ayn Rand, a film for posers and wannabes and that guy in your philosophy class who thinks he’s on the ball but pronounces the first “s” in “Descartes.”
----Dan Carlson

Completely co-sign. My original words were, "cheesy, flat, shallow, predictable, unstructured...". I love the fact that it brings up a very important social issue, but it's totally lacking in analysis and insights, or serious attempts to offer solutions apart from stating out and loud the obvious and trying too hard to get you moved and join the chanting. Acting was decent except Sandra Bullock who can't act shit. Some moving bits and pieces but in general forgettable as one complete art piece. I know nothing that I did not know about racism, I feel nothing that I did not feel about racism after watching Crash. Capote was a much better art piece than Crash. Oscar is too politically correct, or trying too hard to be politically correct, which undermines its authority on art.

I don't like Crash but I am not white BTW. I'm yellow :?

lmw222001
03-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Crash is an excellent movie, very strong, great cast. Hustle and Flow was
a dynamite movie also. I just wish T. Howard won something, he had a great year.
I'll also vote that that Sin City was overlooked by the Oscars. Great Movie.
Awesome Screenplay. Excellent role for Mickey Rourke.