PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Dodges Town Hall Question on Mormon Racism

natina
05-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Mitt Romney Dodges Town Hall Question on Mormon Racism

Mitt Romney Dodges Town Hall Question on Mormon Racism - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSW7FhlqdnA&feature=relmfu)

Ben
05-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Mitt Romney Dodges Town Hall Question on Mormon Racism

Mitt Romney Dodges Town Hall Question on Mormon Racism - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSW7FhlqdnA&feature=relmfu)

I don't think Romney is a social conservative. I believe he's a moderate. But has to appeal to the Republican base: Christian Fundamentalists.
Ya know, these people:

Anti-Gay Rant on Christian Radio - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMIdYtj5ECI&feature=related)

robertlouis
05-18-2012, 06:30 AM
I don't think Romney is a social conservative. I believe he's a moderate. But has to appeal to the Republican base: Christian Fundamentalists.
Ya know, these people:

Anti-Gay Rant on Christian Radio - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMIdYtj5ECI&feature=related)

Ah, so he's a moderate hypocrite then Ben? That explains an awful lot.

flabbybody
05-18-2012, 06:32 AM
religious people scare me

Jackal
05-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Romney has no core moral or ideological beliefs, except looking after himself and his family. He is callous and without direction. He will say whatever he thinks will win him popularity.

robertlouis
05-18-2012, 06:39 AM
religious people scare me

Religious people per se don't scare me, Flabby.

Fundamentalists of any stamp do - Christian, Muslim, whatever. And when it comes to their core, it all comes down to hatred, which I what I thought religion was supposed to put a stop to.

Fucked up, isn't it? And if Romney finds that he has to go beyond merely pacifying these bigots, whither the United States?

Ben
05-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Ah, so he's a moderate hypocrite then Ben? That explains an awful lot.

Ha ha! :) I just don't see him being a social extremist, as it were. I could be wrong... :) Nobody knows his inner thoughts, as it were. But he's in a Party where the base is by and large very socially conservative.

Mitt Romney On The Bible - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyl_BedV8KY)

Ben
05-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Jon Stewart on Mitt Romney - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11s0tsgpVWg&NR=1&feature=endscreen)

robertlouis
05-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Ha ha! :) I just don't see him being a social extremist, as it were. I could be wrong... :) Nobody knows his inner thoughts, as it were. But he's in a Party where the base is by and large very socially conservative.

It's quite bizarre. If you look at his record as governor in Massachusetts much of it is progressive and would sit fairly comfortably in a Democratic setting, which makes his selection for the most rabidly right-wing Republican party ever seemingly crazy.

But was he acting as a chameleon as governor in order to appeal to Mass's instinctively liberal and socially communitarian consensus and sublimating his own more conservative thoughts? We'll probably never know, but it's just one more factor to make the forthcoming hustings all the more fascinating.

Richctdude
05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
this guy is a douche bag

GroobySteven
05-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I think I agree with every statement on this thread. Which is rare if not unheard of on Hungangels.

alpha2117
05-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I should point out that it's dangerous to assume that all people of a certain religion believe absolutely everything that previous leaders of said religion have said. If you did then all Christians are racist, homophobic zealots hellbent on the destruction of all other religions after the statements of some popes in the Dark and Middle Ages (when it was just one church). There are a lot of screwy things lurking in most religions pasts. Here in OZ there are a lot of Mormons near where I live and a heck of a lot of them are islanders (Tongans, Samoans, etc). I'm sure in the past they were racially exclusive but then so was most of society - now I doubt its a big thing. Society changes over time and so do religions.

Romney is a bit of a strange one. I think at his core he's a pretty decent guy but he's a politician from the Republican party which to me means he's forced to lean right to capture their base. I'm sure he's conservative and very straight laced but I dont think he's overtly racist.

I also dont think he can win. Southern Baptists consider him a cult member which means some simply will not vote for him. I think Obama will edge him in some of those close southern states and that basically is it. Obama wins the democratic heartland and then takes enough of those southern marginal states to retain the presidency. Congress and the Senate will probably remain Republican controlled leading to four more years of inertia as the political will battles the political wont to a standstill.

MrsKellyPierce
05-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I just want to say...

In a capitalist economy, the true job creators are middle class consumers. When the middle class thrives, businesses grow and hire, and owners profit. That's why taxing the rich to pay for investments that benefit all is such a fantastic deal for the middle class AND THE RICH..If it was true that taxing the rich less would create jobs...we'd be thriving or over-populated with jobs! WE AREN'T!

No matter how much very rich families/people spent on cars/other shopping/services..it would never compare to how much the middle class spends when they have money. That's what fuels the economy and gives jobs. Rich people aren't going to buy 3,000 cars or 3,000 pairs of different clothing, and even if they did it would still never compare to what the middle class spend when they have $$...The Middle Class are the true job creators and as soon as people start realizing their power and stop acting like their rich or looking up to rich business men..thinking oh he is rich he knows how to do this economy...we would be a lot better off! Realize your power! VOTE for your own Economic interest!

A man went on the news and said I make tens of millions of dollars a year and after all the loop holes I'm privileged of I paid 11% on my taxes. They call us job creators, he said why should I create jobs when I make more at the end of the year not creating jobs. He is like I'm basically getting free money.

So anyone that agrees with this kind of taxing that isn't rich...well dear...WAKE UP

Merkurie
05-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I just want to say...

In a capitalist economy, the true job creators are middle class consumers. When the middle class thrives, businesses grow and hire, and owners profit. That's why taxing the rich to pay for investments that benefit all is such a fantastic deal for the middle class AND THE RICH..If it was true that taxing the rich less would create jobs...we'd be thriving or over-populated with jobs! WE AREN'T!

No matter how much very rich families/people spent on cars/other shopping/services..it would never compare to how much the middle class spends when they have money. That's what fuels the economy and gives jobs. Rich people aren't going to buy 3,000 cars or 3,000 pairs of different clothing, and even if they did it would still never compare to what the middle class spend when they have $$...The Middle Class are the true job creators and as soon as people start realizing their power and stop acting like their rich or looking up to rich business men..thinking oh he is rich he knows how to do this economy...we would be a lot better off! Realize your power! VOTE for your own Economic interest!

A man went on the news and said I make tens of millions of dollars a year and after all the loop holes I'm privileged of I paid 11% on my taxes. They call us job creators, he said why should I create jobs when I make more at the end of the year not creating jobs. He is like I'm basically getting free money.

So anyone that agrees with this kind of taxing that isn't rich...well dear...WAKE UP

Absolutely true.

freedom
05-18-2012, 06:24 PM
spot on Kelly, spot on

ILuvGurls
05-18-2012, 06:27 PM

all the above would work great in a perfect world but we are not in such....this tax that obama wants to enact would only raise about 40-50B a year....I say that tongue in cheek because the way liberals like to give away money that wouldn't last but a day or 2. throw in a Solyndra here, a lightsource there and just for kicks how about fisker and poof those monies are gone.

I'd rather them look at cutting some govt. jobs instead of raising taxes......if you raise taxes on company owners or corporations all they do is pass this on to YOU

MrsKellyPierce
05-18-2012, 08:20 PM
all the above would work great in a perfect world but we are not in such....this tax that obama wants to enact would only raise about 40-50B a year....I say that tongue in cheek because the way liberals like to give away money that wouldn't last but a day or 2. throw in a Solyndra here, a lightsource there and just for kicks how about fisker and poof those monies are gone.

I'd rather them look at cutting some govt. jobs instead of raising taxes......if you raise taxes on company owners or corporations all they do is pass this on to YOU
It's not just the taxes that are the problem babe, the loop holes are the problems..

As I stated more and more millionaires/billionaires are coming forward and admitting to only paying 11% to 20% on their taxes...

And saying why HIRE people when I keep and make more money not hiring..

And Mitt and Ryan << Ryan plan want to double the loop holes for the rich...

ILuvGurls
05-19-2012, 01:03 AM
you say loopholes, I say raise taxes, semantics.....it does not matter, you, me and all the others pay in the long run.....

cut spending

Ben
05-19-2012, 04:30 AM
It's quite bizarre. If you look at his record as governor in Massachusetts much of it is progressive and would sit fairly comfortably in a Democratic setting, which makes his selection for the most rabidly right-wing Republican party ever seemingly crazy.

But was he acting as a chameleon as governor in order to appeal to Mass's instinctively liberal and socially communitarian consensus and sublimating his own more conservative thoughts? We'll probably never know, but it's just one more factor to make the forthcoming hustings all the more fascinating.

Well, Massachusetts is indeed a liberal state. It isn't, um, Mississippi -- :)
Why did Mr. Mitt join the Republican Party? I've no idea. Why is he running for President? I've no idea.
I've always been curious about his motivation. I mean, in all likelihood he's a billionaire. He'll be 66 next year. And if he does 2 terms, well, he'll be in his twilight years. I mean, why would he -- a billionaire -- want all the stress and aggravation of being President? Why? Anyone have a theory?
The Republican Party is becoming increasingly more radical and have really abandoned any pretense of being a normal political party, dedicating themselves with lockstep conformity to serving the rich and powerful.

jamesedwards
05-19-2012, 05:08 AM
I just want to say...

In a capitalist economy, the true job creators are middle class consumers.

Excuse me hun but dammmm I could of sworn the MIDDLE CLASS was gone!!! There are only 2 classes now, I could be wrong.

jamesedwards
05-19-2012, 05:12 AM
Power, Respect, some thing they longed for. Having nothing else to do he needs a new challenge. That's what happens with some of the rich people, they get bored with some thing and go to the next thing. It can't be nothing else but that. OH and to get his name in the books of history and being a President.

Well, Massachusetts is indeed a liberal state. It isn't, um, Mississippi -- :)
Why did Mr. Mitt join the Republican Party? I've no idea. Why is he running for President? I've no idea.
I've always been curious about his motivation. I mean, in all likelihood he's a billionaire. He'll be 66 next year. And if he does 2 terms, well, he'll be in his twilight years. I mean, why would he -- a billionaire -- want all the stress and aggravation of being President? Why? Anyone have a theory?
The Republican Party is becoming increasingly more radical and have really abandoned any pretense of being a normal political party, dedicating themselves with lockstep conformity to serving the rich and powerful.

robertlouis
05-19-2012, 05:42 AM
It's not just the taxes that are the problem babe, the loop holes are the problems..

As I stated more and more millionaires/billionaires are coming forward and admitting to only paying 11% to 20% on their taxes...

And saying why HIRE people when I keep and make more money not hiring..

And Mitt and Ryan << Ryan plan want to double the loop holes for the rich...

And the idea that tax breaks for the rich creates trickle down wealth? Didn't work in the 80s and works even less nowadays as the rich all have even more creative accountants.

This Doonesbury strip from yesterday's Guardian made me smile, but it sums it up pretty well too.

Merkurie
05-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Why is Mitt Romney running for President?

The same reason Barack, W and no doubt most of them do ... Daddy issues.

Females&Shemales
05-19-2012, 11:44 AM
I'll probably wind up voting for Romney. I'm sorry, but I think Obama sucks.

luv4Tgirls
05-19-2012, 06:38 PM
He is not a Friggin' racist, Obama has dodged his whole presidency

buttslinger
05-20-2012, 01:26 AM
The same fools who bought George Bush then are buying Romney now.

robertlouis
05-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Anyone else get a good laugh from Romney's defence of marriage as a relationship between one man and one woman?

After all, doesn't he follow a cult which for most of its history was a strong advocate of marriage as being between one man and dozens of women?

Mormonism is at its heart fiercely patriarchal. Maybe that's how he finds it easy to support policies which are aimed at eradicating women's rights.