PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert!

skweetis
03-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Anyone a fan of Stephen Colbert or the Colbert Report?

My favorite show on air right now!

feel free to add quotes.

"Nothing motivates toddlers more than death threats"

Hi-larious.

tsntx
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
"train wreck attempts" good analogy love stevens show tho

robbie
03-02-2006, 07:26 PM
steven is alright and has bright spots, but hese the side dish to the delicious jon stewart main course...he takes more risks and sometimes really hits the nail, but he has tons of train wreck attempts...overall i like him alot, better than i expected, but jon stewart is head and shoulders above anyone doing a similar format...

Jon Stewart is the funniest man in America. Colbert is good. He has some very funny stuff. But, I agree, it does get a bit uneven at times. I'm just not sure he really has a full show of material. I think he was/is better off as a correspondent on the Daily Show - where he was almost always spot on hysterical.

Lobo
03-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Jon Stewart and Lewis Black are great, the rest of them just aren't funny.

InvisibleTS
03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I heart Strangers with Candy!! Hilarious :wink:

Quinn
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
While I do like The Daily Show more, The Colbert Report definitely makes me laugh. Funny quotes:

"Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions."

"I believe all God's creatures have a soul...except bears, bears are godless killing machines!"

"There's nothing wrong with being gay. I have plenty of friends that are going to hell."

-Quinn

InvisibleTS
03-02-2006, 11:50 PM

while we are being on topic, i hate cake...

They all love cake :wink:

Edit: I missed the sarcasim the first go around. Stephen Colbert was on Strangers with Candy and I believe even held a producing/writing/something credit as well.

It's French, bitch!

NYCe
03-03-2006, 12:16 AM
What's the over/under on Jon Stewarting bombing as the host of the OSCARS?

Felicia Katt
03-03-2006, 04:10 AM
The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are the best hour on tv these days. I love Jon Stewart, but Steven Colbert carries the entire show by himself, and he has managed to ruthlessly skewer O'Reilly, Hannity, Rush and all, so expertly they don't even resent him. For him to mine their hatefilled agendas for humor is like making cookies out of crap and is a real comedic accomplishment

FK

TribalNYX
03-03-2006, 05:28 AM
Great show...very funny

skweetis
03-03-2006, 05:46 AM
yeah, stephen has his up and down shows...
but, he totally blows away the daily show in my mind.

his kind of humor kinda has to sink in, i didn't find it really funny at first.
i like john, but i think stephen is the best.
i think you either go one way or the other with them, but it's possible to like both.
stephen's humor is really original and like someone said he is holding the show all on his own, and he has to hold his "character" as his true self.
if you've seen his appearace on conan where he says rosa park's children should apologize to the bus company she ruined, and conan shoots him, i don't know how you cannot like him.
so dead pan with his humor, and it's awesome to see him crack up.

hah, strangers with candy is awesome.

oh and...i think that john is a producer or writer for the report...???
not sure, i think i saw that...
john will do great at the oscars.

Nardo_7
03-06-2006, 01:46 AM
The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are the best hour on tv these days. I love Jon Stewart, but Steven Colbert carries the entire show by himself, and he has managed to ruthlessly skewer O'Reilly, Hannity, Rush and all, so expertly they don't even resent him. For him to mine their hatefilled agendas for humor is like making cookies out of crap and is a real comedic accomplishment

FK

It is done well. I think alot of people don't understand the satire, as they may not have ever watched an O'Reilly show (or watched it with a critical eye).

Do you remember the clip floating around the web where he kept claiming to have "seen combat", and the caller busted him on never having been in any branch of any service? These guys have been terrorizing guests for so long that it's finally time they got skewered appropriately...

http://www.newshounds.us/2005/05/06/transcript_of_oreilly_interview_with_p_j_crowley_a nd_neal_puckett.php

Darkwing Duck
03-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Colbert is the funniest man on TV right now. The man is a genius and has really got that character down.

Felicia Katt
04-30-2006, 10:11 AM
I just watched Stephen Colbert on C-Span, at the White House Press Correpondent's dinner (I know, what an exciting way to spend your Saturday night, but I was out all nite last nite) Stephen was fearless, and in my opinion, was incredibly pointed and funny.

here are some exceprts

I give people the truth unfiltered by factual argument. I call it the No Fact Zone. Fox News, I hold a copyright on that term.

Then you write they're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. First of all, that is a terrible metaphor. This administration is not sinking. This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg

The government that governs best is the government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq.

reality has a well known liberal bias

I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things, like aircraft carriers, rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong mesasge that no matter what happens to America she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world!

The greatest thing about this President is you know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday!

Fox News gives you both sides of every story, the President's side and the Vice President's side.

Write that novel you've got kicking around in your head--you know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the Administration--you know, fiction!

[Jesse Jackson] is a very challenging interview... It's like boxing a glacier. Enjoy that metaphor by the way because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is.

Mayor Nagin is here from New Orleans, the Chocolate City... Mayor Nagin, I'd like to welcome you to Washington D.C., the Chocolate City with a marshmallow center... and a graham cracker crust of corruption.

Priceless ballsy stuff

FK

Ashley
04-30-2006, 10:45 AM
i saw some clips on Crooks and Liars:

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/WH-Dinner-Colber.mov

...thats only half of it, I'd like to download the entire thing when i find it

Colbert really had the perfect situation to tear the Pres apart and didn't hold back--- awesome

chefmike
04-30-2006, 01:52 PM
CSPAN usually rebroadcasts it at some point, but I don't see it on today's schedule.
Here's an article about it-

Colbert Lampoons Bush at White House Correspondents Dinner-- President Does Not Seem Amused

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002425363

Felicia Katt
04-30-2006, 09:21 PM
here is a link to a partial video and some good sites discussing Colbert's performance

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/04/29.html#a8104

The blogosphere is really buzzing about it. Whether you think he is funny or not (I personally think he is one of the smartest, funniest guys on tv today) it took huge balls for him to so effectively trash the President with him just a few feet away.

FK

partlycloudy
05-01-2006, 02:25 AM
torrent --> http://www.mininova.org/tor/296239

skweetis
05-01-2006, 03:18 AM
I quote Stephen Colbert so much that one of my friends thinks I'm in love with him.
haha.

Hilarious
Hilarious
Hilarious.

rick_932
05-01-2006, 03:36 AM
torrent --> http://www.mininova.org/tor/296239

props

Felicia Katt
05-02-2006, 05:40 AM
even though his performance is getting almost no attention in the mainstream media, its spreading like wildfire on the internet.

if you want to weigh in, you can do so here

http://thankyoustephencolbert.org/wordpress/

Over 170000 people have shown their support so far

FK

skweetis
05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
he did an amazing job.
he is going to get wider attention from people now, i think more people who tune in the daily show but not the colbert report will now do so, as well as those who are liberal and haven't seen it yet.
it's incredible.
did you see that Laura Bush didn't even get up or shake his hand when he left?
what a bitch, and George is a Dick, and Dick's a Dick.
he showed them though.

STEPHEN COLBERT HAS BIG BRASS BALLS.

InHouston
05-02-2006, 09:36 PM

feel free to add quotes.

Hi-larious.

Can't stand the guy. He has the most dry and lame attempts at humor I've ever seen. I gave his show a couple of chances, but just sat there bored out of my mind. Seems one would have to be stoned to find him funny. I just don't get it.

Hugh Jarrod
05-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Colbert is the shit! I like Stewart better, but Stephen is a close second.

Hugh Jarrod
05-02-2006, 11:54 PM
here is a link to a partial video and some good sites discussing Colbert's performance

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/04/29.html#a8104

The blogosphere is really buzzing about it. Whether you think he is funny or not (I personally think he is one of the smartest, funniest guys on tv today) it took huge balls for him to so effectively trash the President with him just a few feet away.

FK

Amen, Bush was totally uncomfortable you could see it in his face.

specialk
05-03-2006, 01:23 AM
even though his performance is getting almost no attention in the mainstream media, its spreading like wildfire on the internet.

if you want to weigh in, you can do so here

http://thankyoustephencolbert.org/wordpress/

Over 170000 people have shown their support so far

FK

I think Colbert should get an emmy nomination for that performance!! Does Cspan TV count?? LOL

skweetis
05-03-2006, 02:57 AM

feel free to add quotes.

Hi-larious.

Can't stand the guy. He has the most dry and lame attempts at humor I've ever seen. I gave his show a couple of chances, but just sat there bored out of my mind. Seems one would have to be stoned to find him funny. I just don't get it.

THEN YOU'RE A FUCKIN' IDIOT!
what's funny to you then?
filing papers?

Hugh Jarrod
05-03-2006, 10:27 AM

feel free to add quotes.

Hi-larious.

filing papers?

Woah, it's his/her opinion and they're entitled.

skweetis
05-03-2006, 06:33 PM

feel free to add quotes.

Hi-larious.

filing papers?

Woah, it's his/her opinion and they're entitled.
true, but he said it on a kind of an appreciation thread, and I struck back with the same anger he did, well, not exactly...
it's just I hear from many different people that they don't get it, but it's such an obvious kind of humor, it boggles my mind.
you can atleast respect him for what he has just done, this is a mainly liberal board, as well.

InHouston
05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
filing papers?

Compared to Colbert, filing papers is hilarious. Based on your response, now I get why you think he’s funny. You’re a moron like him.

Hugh Jarrod
05-03-2006, 11:44 PM
filing papers?

Compared to Colbert, filing papers is hilarious. Based on your response, now I get why you think he’s funny. You’re a moron like him.

Filing papers sucks. I think he's hilarious for a moron.

chefmike
05-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Drop a Colbert Brick on Bush!

http://colbertbush.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

Hugh Jarrod
05-05-2006, 01:17 AM

while we are being on topic, i hate cake...

They all love cake :wink:

Edit: I missed the sarcasim the first go around. Stephen Colbert was on Strangers with Candy and I believe even held a producing/writing/something credit as well.

It's French, bitch!

He also does some of the voices on Harvey Birdman

BSMike
05-05-2006, 01:42 AM
You're all probably aware of this already even though the mainstream press didn't say a word about it. Last week Colbert performed at the white house correspondents dinner where he fucking slammed junior, f*x, the press, etc. It was spectacular.

Here's one of the many sources you can currently get the video from: http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3479967

Hugh Jarrod
05-05-2006, 01:42 AM
i saw some clips on Crooks and Liars:

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/WH-Dinner-Colber.mov

...thats only half of it, I'd like to download the entire thing when i find it

Colbert really had the perfect situation to tear the Pres apart and didn't hold back--- awesome

OMG! Martha Zoeller bringing up 9/11 as happening on tuesday to critique his choke about Bush! What a fuckin' douche bag.

Felicia Katt
05-05-2006, 06:00 AM
OMG! Martha Zoeller bringing up 9/11 as happening on tuesday to critique his choke about Bush! What a fuckin' douche bag.
I saw this somewhere online about the reaction to Colbert's routine. I forgot the site, but not the quote

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
Mahatma Gandhi

They are fighting now, what's next? :)

FK

Hugh Jarrod
05-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Fotunetly I see the right's stupidity driving people back to the middle, my only fear is it may drive them too far left. I'm not really a fan of Dems. or Reps. and the fact that every topic is talked out on CNN, FOX etc. in a Dem. -VS- REP. format makes me sick. When someone like Colbert or Stewart comes along and points out the stupidity of politicians it's just great.

Hugh Jarrod
05-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I saw this somewhere online about the reaction to Colbert's routine. I forgot the site, but not the quote

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
Mahatma Gandhi

They are fighting now, what's next? :)

FK

I think I'm going to start using her strategy though. Anytime someone calls me a name or accuses me of anything I'm gonna jump on the 9/11 bandwagon with a "How dare you!?" and follow it with "What do you side with the terrorists?" or "Do you hate children!?"

Felicia Katt
05-06-2006, 11:48 PM
http://colbert.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

a musical tribute. its pretty funny, but did take a long time to load

FK

Felicia Katt
05-15-2006, 02:50 AM
As much as I may value my privacy, I have made no secret of my admiration for Stephen Colbert, and I saw this article and wanted to post it, sorry for its length (the first time I have had to apologize here for something being too long!!!) but a lot of people had a lot of nice things to say about his very brave yet funny confrontation with George Bush

Is Stephen Colbert the Last One to Know How Amazing He Was?

Almost two weeks later, the Internet is still buzzing about Stephen Colbert's already legendary scorched earth performance at the White House Correspondent's dinner.

It was a quintessential "All About Eve" -- I mean, "All About Steve" -- moment: He walked up to that podium a basic cable cult figure, and came back a political comedy legend.
Start carving that satiric Mt. Rushmore: Swift, Twain, Bruce... Colbert.

Alternet's Dan Hazen just anointed him a "New American Hero" who gave "one of the bravest, most subversive performances in memory" that will become "a huge marker when people look back on the Bush era."

Millions have watched the video of his performance online and/or read the transcript, and tens of thousands of people have posted letters of gratitude and appreciation to ThankYouStephenColbert.org.

But, shockingly, one of the few people still unaware of just how big an impact the twin evisceration of the president and the puppy dog press has had is Stephen Colbert himself.

When I ran into him the other night at the Time 100 celebration, he told me that he had strenuously avoided reading anything about his appearance -- the good, the bad, or the ugly -- preferring to focus on the present and putting together his nightly TV show.

If anything, he seemed to be nursing a tender spot about the chilly reception his utterly brilliant performance got in the room that night. He is, after all, first and foremost a performer -- and it's tough for any performer, especially one used to appearing in front of a wildly appreciative crowd night after night, to suddenly find himself playing to a hostile crowd. It's the comedy equivalent of having the Dementors from Azkaban enter your body and suck out your spirit.

Nora Ephron framed the dilemma perfectly when she asked, "Is it possible for a comedian to utterly kill and bomb at the same time?"

To which I say, Absolutely. This was Dylan plugging in at Newport in 1965. The crowd may have booed, but the music world had forever shifted.

After my chat with Colbert ended, Evelyn, Stephen's wife told me she was thinking of collecting some of the most interesting comments from the blogosphere and elsewhere about his performance for when he's ready to read them. It's a great idea. Here are some excerpts that she should definitely include in the collection. And I hope she convinces him to read them soon.

"Stephen Colbert: Jesus Christ? Or just the world's bravest, funniest, coolest man?... One of the more daring comedy routines I've heard..." -- Wax Banks

"Cool, methodical, and mercilessly ironic... Mission accomplished." -- James Wolcott

"Stephen Colbert has Balls as Big as Church Bells... It was fucking amazing... You'll want it for posterity." -- Shakespeare's Sister

"Colbert reaffirmed my faith in -- well -- just about everything... It was a marvel." -- News Hounds

"It was brave, it was brilliant, and it was true" -- Attaturk

"One of the most revealing moments I've ever seen in American politics." -- Digby

"Brass balls, baby. Big ones." -- Ezra Klein

"A brave and shocking performance." -- Chris Durang

"Watching the Whores of Pennsylvania Avenue, and their retainers and lackeys in the MSM being fed, nipples first, through the Colbert Woodchipper it felt -- for a moment -- like a free country again." -- Driftglass

"Merciless skewering of the Cheney administration and its media lapdogs... inserting a brief moment of honesty into an event based upon a lie..." -- Billmon

"I loved every second of it.... Blistering commentary on Bush that never strayed from the substance." -- The Carpetbagger Report

"It was Colbert's crowning moment... Colbert's jokes attacked not just Bush's policies, but the whole drama and language of American politics, the phony demonstration of strength, unity and vision." -- Michael Scherer

"Sarcastic destruction of both the media and its masters..." -- The Left Coaster

"A stinging spanking that's been long overdue..." -- Jesus' General

FK