PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring Basketball Story

Scarub
03-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't know if any of you have seen this story yet. If not, you really need to check it out. It one of those stories that inspires as well as chokes you up a bit.

Senior Jason McElwain had been the manager of the varsity basketball team of Greece Athena High School in Rochester, N.Y.

The 17-year-old senior, who is autistic and usually sits on the bench in a white shirt and black tie, proceeded to hit six 3-point shots, finished with 20 points and was carried off the court on his teammates' shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q47bD_79Kdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6I2LmMSi6Q&search=Autistic%20Basketball%20star%20Jason%20McEl wain%20high%20school

TribalNYX
03-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Yup...saw that....one of the coolest stories of the year! Everyone should check it out if you haven't seen it already.

Quinn
03-02-2006, 02:34 AM
I just saw the vid. Thx, Scarub. Very cool and very inspirational.

-Quinn

curiousj
03-02-2006, 03:01 AM
Im tired of hearing about this kid. I know that school and i know kids who go there. The only reason all the players talked so good of him was because they were on sportscenter. I do feel sorry and am glad i am healthy, and will never know how he usually gets treated in his daily activities. But this is overblown. There are stories like this across the globe all the time, no one story should get carried away as the story of the year. Im tired of it, when the kid is interviewed you can tell he has a lite version of autisim. If news picks this story up, it should pick up every story like it, that my piece.

specialk
03-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Im tired of hearing about this kid. I know that school and i know kids who go there. The only reason all the players talked so good of him was because they were on sportscenter. I do feel sorry and am glad i am healthy, and will never know how he usually gets treated in his daily activities. But this is overblown. There are stories like this across the globe all the time, no one story should get carried away as the story of the year. Im tired of it, when the kid is interviewed you can tell he has a lite version of autisim. If news picks this story up, it should pick up every story like it, that my piece.

You haven't heard the end of this yet.......he's had at least 25 offers for movie rights to his story as of 2-27-06. I thought it was pretty cool, tailor made for Hollywood.

curiousj
03-02-2006, 06:36 AM
while i am an emotional guy and loved it (i also loved curly sue so there ya go), i cant argue with what u said...however, ide like to add that the defense was playin up on the kid and they were tough shots, they werent exactly treating him like when u slow pitch a retard...[/quote]

I wasnt trying to take anything away from the kid, just that the media made to much of a big deal about him being autistic. The kid could clearly talk and knew what he was doing, i just dont want the kid to get an ESPY or something like that when there are millions of kids like him that dont get the spotlight.

chefmike
03-02-2006, 07:13 AM
they werent exactly treating him like when u slow pitch a retard...

J, why do you insist on bringing Aedan into everything?

robbie
03-02-2006, 07:15 AM

wow. heart of stone you got there.
That said, I will grant you that you have a point about there being other stories like this around the globe that don't get picked up. But isn't that exactly why it's great that this story was picked up. Mild autism or not, the kid overcame a handicap AND the stigma that comes with it.

So if this one story can inspire even just a handful of other children with special needs to overcome their handicap; if it can enlighten just a few more people to help lift the stigma that is too often placed on those with handicaps; if it raises just a bit more awareness of the condition; if it creates just a few more dollars of support for research, well then I think it is well worth celebrating this story. Bring it on Hollywood.

robbie
03-02-2006, 07:16 AM
they werent exactly treating him like when u slow pitch a retard...

J, why do you insist on bringing Aedan into everything?

lmfao!
you guys are relentless.