PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGavin R.I.P.

DJ_Asia
02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Man they are dropping this week...first Don Knotts and now my old pal Carl Kolchak AKA the "Night Stalker".When I was a kid that was my favorite show hands down,scared the hell outta me...

The show inspired many of the sci-fi tv success of late.

When they tried to remake the series,it bombed horribly,primarily because the appeal that McGavin gave the role was lost.

Also dug him in A Christmas Story....

See ya Darren RIP

DJ Asia

robbie
02-27-2006, 08:38 PM
...and now Dennis Weaver has passed away too.

I never watched much Gunsmoke, but I loved him as McCloud.

Another classic TV actor that will be missed.

BeardedOne
02-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Truly a man that deserves not just a lamp, but a Major Award.

hondarobot
02-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Kolchack, Barney Fife, and McCloud, all in one week. Most definately a sign of the Apocalypse.

:?

I never watched McCloud (although he looked pretty damn stupid on the horse and wearing that damn fur fringed jacket on the commercials), but I think Dennis Weaver was in a Twilight Zone episode that wasn't half bad. Can't recall the episode, though.

May the road rise up to meet them.

chefmike
02-28-2006, 08:17 AM
RIP Kolchak. Sci-Fi channel has reruns of The Night Stalker sometimes. The monsters look cheesy as shit by today's standards, but the show is still great.

As for Christmas Story..."you'll shoot your eye out!"

Dkg
02-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I remember him best as the blue collar 1950's foul mouthed dad from "A Christmas Story"

Man he was cool....gonna miss him and Don

BigJoe
03-01-2006, 11:17 PM
When I was a kid that was my favorite show hands down,scared the hell outta me...DJ Asia

Sorry to hear about this, him and Barney both dead, I guess time has it's way with all of us.

I agree DJ, it was a good show, very much formula driven, but I still find myself watching it if it come on the SciFi channel...stands up much better than, say, the original Battlestar. :wink:

And "A Chritmas Story" needs no additioal praise, it's a classic.

Thanks for the post M8

BeardedOne
03-02-2006, 12:17 AM
In other news, both Sci/Fi and obit:

SF author Octavia Butler, after a fall outisde her Seattle home. She was 58. :cry:

I had the good fortune to meet her in Baltimore a couple of years ago. Very bright and very sweet lady.

Ecstatic
03-02-2006, 02:30 AM
BeardedOne, say it isn't so. Octavia Butler? She is such a fine writer. I particularly like Parable of the Sower. That is very sad news.

There's a good obit here:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2002835102_butlerappreciate01.html

figger
03-02-2006, 03:13 AM
just wated to agree that nightstalker was a great show, way ahead of its time, would still be good today

BeardedOne
03-02-2006, 04:22 AM
BeardedOne, say it isn't so. Octavia Butler?

Yah, I saw it in one of the locals this morning. :cry:

It sez a lot about my life when I learn of the passing of people I know via the media-at-large before I hear it from friends. :? Had a shocker a couple of years back when I saw a friend's date of death listed on IMDb.

I gotta get out more.