PDA

View Full Version : Who has been America's greatest military foe?

Stavros
04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
The National Army Museum in the UK drew up a shortlist of five military foes and asked historians to make a final judgement. On the list were George Washington, 'Ataturk', Napoelon Bonaparte, Erwin Rommel, and Michael Collins.

George Washington came out top of the list.

For those who are interested, who do you think is on the list of the USA's greatest foes, and who would come first?

Nicole Dupre
04-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I would think it's the tucked away people who subvert the nation from within; the people who are posturing as nationalists. Vast wealth transcends nationalism.

Nicole Dupre
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
If a war is initiated by industrialists, and the clueless troops fight it and sacrifice themselves so that wealthy men may profit from it, who's the real "military enemy"?

MdR Dave
04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I would think it's the tucked away people who subvert the nation from within; the people who are posturing as nationalists. Vast wealth transcends nationalism.

Love this, Nicole.

Not just America, though.

I wonder how many people know about the annual closed door meetings the world's wealthiest have to decide our fate.

They aren't secret, but somehow tithe meetings get very little press. . .

Quiet Reflections
04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
If you pay attention to the media and election year politics it is gay people.

Quiet Reflections
04-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Love this, Nicole.

Not just America, though.

I wonder how many people know about the annual closed door meetings the world's wealthiest have to decide our fate.

They aren't secret, but somehow tithe meetings get very little press. . .
not many know and the media doesn't cover things like the bilderberg group and the bohemian grove because the heads of the news organizations are members

buttslinger
04-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Robert E Lee

Wendy Summers
04-16-2012, 10:42 PM
If I answer Hitler have I Godwin'd the thread?

Nicole Dupre
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM
not many know and the media doesn't cover things like the bilderberg group and the bohemian grove because the heads of the news organizations are members
Bohemian Grove may have some insiders of sorts, but I don't think they do a lot of planning there. I think it's mostly gay sex and pedophilia and Moloch worship. lol The Bilderberg meetings are ominous, no doubt though.

maxpower
04-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Robert E Lee

Insightful answer. He damn near won the Civil War.

Wendy Summers
04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Insightful answer. He damn near won the Civil War.

Close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades

maxpower
04-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades

True enough, but he was a great strategist, and a stubborn and vexing foe for the Union Army.

Odelay
04-17-2012, 12:33 AM
What about the Danes? Like Cnut or Hardicnut or any of those other Viking invaders. And William the Conqueror doesn't make the list as an English foe? He walloped 'em, took 'em over, and absorbed 'em. He was French. If as Americans, we name Confederates as all-time foes, then the historic British invaders are even more legitimate as British foes, they didn't even have any English blood in them.

Abartig
04-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Here is what they were looking for:

"To qualify, each commander had to come from the 17th century onwards – the period covered by the museum's collection – and had to have led an army in the field against the British, thus excluding political enemies, like Adolf Hitler."

using that same criteria for the U.S. question I think Gen. Lee is a good choice for a greatest foe.

but now it is . . .

flabbybody
04-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Rommel kicked some serious ass in Africa before overwhelming numbers of UK and US tanks wore him down.

Odelay
04-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Well, given the criteria set above, I'd have to say Hoh Chi Minh or whoever the lead commander of the Taliban is. Think quagmire.

onmyknees
04-17-2012, 01:22 AM
The National Army Museum in the UK drew up a shortlist of five military foes and asked historians to make a final judgement. On the list were George Washington, 'Ataturk', Napoelon Bonaparte, Erwin Rommel, and Michael Collins.

George Washington came out top of the list.

For those who are interested, who do you think is on the list of the USA's greatest foes, and who would come first?

Since you didn't specifically say greatest military foe, I'll opt for the biggest foe of the day being members of the "elite" GSA throwing lavish Vegas parties on hard working tax dollars while the peasants eat cake. Imagine what those millions spent on champagne and hotel suites could have done for poor school districts, or mid west towns blown off the face of the earth by tornados.

Coming in a strong second would be China and the way they manipulate their currency.

Nicole Dupre
04-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Since you didn't specifically say greatest military foe, I'll opt for the biggest foe of the day being members of the "elite" GSA throwing lavish Vegas parties on hard working tax dollars while the peasants eat cake. Imagine what those millions spent on champagne and hotel suites could have done for poor school districts, or mid west towns blown off the face of the earth by tornados.

Coming in a strong second would be China and the way they manipulate their currency.
The Gay Straight Alliance? What have they ever done to you?

runningdownthatdream
04-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Bohemian Grove may have some insiders of sorts, but I don't think they do a lot of planning there. I think it's mostly gay sex and pedophilia and Moloch worship. lol The Bilderberg meetings are ominous, no doubt though.

Agreed on the Bohemian Grove thing - it's like the English public school system gone international. A Homoerotic smorgasbord under the guise of political and social engineering discussions.

As for the Bilderberg meetings....................what's to say, it's so obvious.

robertlouis
04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Ho Chi Minh?

trish
04-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Those damn eeeevilooshunists.

runningdownthatdream
04-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Ho Chi Minh for sure unless we count that Robert Ross guy who led the army that burned Washington - which has to be America's most embarrassing military moment. What with Madison fleeing in fear and everything..........

robertlouis
04-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Those damn eeeevilooshunists.

And for most religious conservatives, Roe in the Roe vs Wade case.

Quiet Reflections
04-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Agreed on the Bohemian Grove thing - it's like the English public school system gone international. A Homoerotic smorgasbord under the guise of political and social engineering discussions.

As for the Bilderberg meetings....................what's to say, it's so obvious.
the Bilderberg group is very obvious almost to obvious. I would be more afraid of the guys making decisions while coked up and dancing naked. The list of bilderberg members (the incomplete list they put out) just seem like figure heads and suited CEO's incapable of making real changes not involving some tech device. that one seem like a big cocktail party. If some evil shit was going down do you think it would be guys in suits or high assholes raping girls and having gay orgies.

robertlouis
04-17-2012, 01:55 AM
The bankers don't even have to meet in a shady room somewhere to fuck up the entire world economy and not just the US. Unfettered, amoral, don't give a fuck capitalism is a bigger threat to the world than any form of military these days.

maxpower
04-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Well, given the criteria set above, I'd have to say Hoh Chi Minh or whoever the lead commander of the Taliban is. Think quagmire.

I am.

Who Else but Quagmire? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOh7V6WlfIM)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

dana295
04-17-2012, 02:05 AM
well hate to pop the Robert E Lee bubble but he never wanted the union to be disolved his love of virgina forced him to follow where she lead and served her honnoribly. had the north not used the andiconda as squessed the supply lines off the south would have won the war of northern aggersion.

for my two cents i would have to say America's greatest enamy is America herself. to evidance this thought look at the current political debate. a deteched look at it will reveal more about who the enamy truily is then anything else i can think of at the moment

robertlouis
04-17-2012, 02:08 AM
It's interesting to note that many of the nominations are for foes in wars where the war aims at the outset were incoherent at best and downright deceitful at worst.

Spot any present-day parallels, folks?

dana295
04-17-2012, 02:13 AM

darlin' Ho chi Mihn was the leader of the communist party in north vietnam during the vietnamese civil war.

runningdownthatdream
04-17-2012, 02:17 AM
darlin' Ho chi Mihn was the leader of the communist party in north vietnam during the vietnamese civil war.

He was the lead military strategist as well

Stavros
04-17-2012, 03:18 AM

In fact in my post I specifically stated 'military foe'. What is interesting about this thread and the comments I have read on the poll by the readers of say, th Daily Telegraph, is that it doesn't take long for the 'military foe' to become anyone deemed an 'enemy'. And this usually becomes someone from within the country -Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and even Edward Heath have been nominated.

The USA has a problem because although it has been attacked from outside by Japan, and al-Qaeda, only the British have fought battles inside the US with 'US' troops in the War of Independence.

In Vietnam, Ho Chih Minh was a thinker not a military strategist, that role was taken by General Vo Nguyen Giap who master-minded the Tet Offensive of 1968 which, though a military failure, established the fact that the USA could not gain a military victory in Vietnam, and marked the onset of peace negotiations. But was Ho a Foe?

dana295
04-17-2012, 04:30 AM
He was the lead military strategist as well

actually that was general gap who is also credited with starting the anti-war protest moviment in the states to counter the winning of heart and minds the american g.i's did in the south

Frescadrink
04-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Canada.. Why do you think they call the white house.. the white house.. cuz canada burnt it down.. and when it was repainted white.. the name stuck

dana295
04-17-2012, 05:16 AM
In Vietnam, Ho Chih Minh was a thinker not a military strategist, that role was taken by General Vo Nguyen Giap who master-minded the Tet Offensive of 1968 which, though a military failure, established the fact that the USA could not gain a military victory in Vietnam, and marked the onset of peace negotiations. But was Ho a Foe?

Ho was the leader of north vietnam like hilter was the leader of the germans
niether was great on thier own militarily but they took the credit for the brillance of thier generals. was Ho the Foe yes and no but only if you play go

maxpower
04-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Canada.. Why do you think they call the white house.. the white house.. cuz canada burnt it down.. and when it was repainted white.. the name stuck

Um...what?

1. It has always been white, ever since the first stone was laid.

2. The White House was burned down by the British Army in 1814, not Canadians.

3. Although it may have been referred to colloquially as "The White House" previously, that did not become the official name of the residence until Theodore Roosevelt made it so during his presidency.

Leroycb4
04-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto of the Imperial Japanese Navy, the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack & Japan's successful early war campaigns & conquests.

Prospero
04-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Ignorance, prejudice, the gun lobby and big money

Militarily? Japan in all probability

EdelweissFan
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
In Vietnam, Ho Chih Minh was a thinker not a military strategist, that role was taken by General Vo Nguyen Giap who master-minded the Tet Offensive of 1968 which, though a military failure,...

I would agree that General Giap was probably the greatest military foe according to the definition in the article.

I would also point out that it wasn't just Tet for which he was famous (though I think he actually opposed it in the planning phase). His stroke of genius was to neutralize US technological and hardware advantage by adopting a strategy of staying very close, which he called something like hugging the belts of the Americans -- a very powerful metaphor of a little guy neutralizing the strength and reach of a big guy, fighting while holding onto his belt.

LibertyHarkness
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
america greatest foe is america ... and it will be america own internal issues that will cause it to fall apart .. in my opinon

Odelay
04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
america greatest foe is america ... and it will be america own internal issues that will cause it to fall apart .. in my opinon
And here I thought it was going to be an invasion of UK T-girls that would be our undoing. :salad

Prospero
04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
And here I thought it was going to be an invasion of UK T-girls that would be our undoing. :salad

It would certainy have a lot of American guys undoing their clothes

Stavros
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
In which case Americans might want to ground their stand, rather than stand their ground...

Nicole Dupre
04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
This topic really doesn't belong here, and it's BOR-ING.

Stavros needs to get laid I think. lol He's very stuffy and out of touch.

runningdownthatdream
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
actually that was general gap who is also credited with starting the anti-war protest moviment in the states to counter the winning of heart and minds the american g.i's did in the south

....thanks for the correction. I knew he was more involved in the war against the French but didn't realize he was so hands-off in the war with America.

Stavros
04-17-2012, 03:37 PM
This topic really doesn't belong here, and it's BOR-ING.

Stavros needs to get laid I think. lol He's very stuffy and out of touch.

Thank you for taking an interest in my sexual activity (occasional as in 'regular' for a man of my age) but I will spare you the details. I put the topic here because I thought it was of General interest, and it has been viewed by over 400 people and you were one of the first to contribute. It won't last anyway. I agree that I am 'stuffy' compared to the younger members, wouldn't you rather I act my age? I don't think I am out of touch, except with a lot of youth culture. Anyway, Nicole, its heart-warming to find you also mellowing out as you get older. Mellow suits you.

On the thread -noone has mentioned Aldrich Ames, for example.

Nicole Dupre
04-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Thank you for taking an interest in my sexual activity (occasional as in 'regular' for a man of my age) but I will spare you the details. I put the topic here because I thought it was of General interest, and it has been viewed by over 400 people and you were one of the first to contribute. It won't last anyway. I agree that I am 'stuffy' compared to the younger members, wouldn't you rather I act my age? I don't think I am out of touch, except with a lot of youth culture. Anyway, Nicole, its heart-warming to find you also mellowing out as you get older. Mellow suits you.

On the thread -noone has mentioned Aldrich Ames, for example.
You should tell us what you thought of last night's episode of Dancing with the Stars. Did you watch it?

Stavros
04-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Ho-ho...a) I have never seen it, and b) I don't get the new digital tv signal where I am so the only thing I watch on tv are dvd's, which is mostly what I watched before anyway. And I cannot dance, and prefer watching professionals in ballet and modern dance rather than watch retired footballers and D-list 'celebrities' make even the tango look the dance of death. And for the record, I am decades younger than Sir Bruce Forsyth...

Next Foe forward?

Nicole Dupre
04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Ho-ho...a) I have never seen it, and b) I don't get the new digital tv signal where I am so the only thing I watch on tv are dvd's, which is mostly what I watched before anyway. And I cannot dance, and prefer watching professionals in ballet and modern dance rather than watch retired footballers and D-list 'celebrities' make even the tango look the dance of death. And for the record, I am decades younger than Sir Bruce Forsyth...

Next Foe forward?
Well they're all pretty good this season. Last night was pretty impressive.

Anyway, I think you need to loosen up.

dana295
04-17-2012, 08:53 PM
dancing with the stars ? .................... gross. Stavros seems to be a man of classical teastes and inteligence please don't try to pulute him with pop crap. it hard enough to find real men that like girls like us. lets not turn them in to wusses.

BellaBellucci
04-17-2012, 08:56 PM

You get the gold star for being the first to mention China. I was sent from the future to tell everyone that there's going to be another Cold War, this time with the Chinese, from 2015-2035.

Nevermind the Butterfly Effect. Don't say I didn't warn you. :geek: :lol:

~BB~

dana295
04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
I would agree that General Giap was probably the greatest military foe according to the definition in the article.

I would also point out that it wasn't just Tet for which he was famous (though I think he actually opposed it in the planning phase). His stroke of genius was to neutralize US technological and hardware advantage by adopting a strategy of staying very close, which he called something like hugging the belts of the Americans -- a very powerful metaphor of a little guy neutralizing the strength and reach of a big guy, fighting while holding onto his belt.

i'm so leining to Giap right now as the winner of this discussion cause everyone else apon relizing what they where up again lost heart and the subaquint war but Giap worked the problem and found a small measure of victory in fighting to a stand still until we couldn't sopport the war anymore and withdrew. he may not have had a full out formal victory but he was the only commander to face us that we didn't break his statigy. hopifully our enamies will keep playing chess with us because we suck at go.

Nicole Dupre
04-17-2012, 10:45 PM
dancing with the stars ? .................... gross. Stavros seems to be a man of classical teastes and inteligence please don't try to pulute him with pop crap. it hard enough to find real men that like girls like us. lets not turn them in to wusses.
Oh, please. It's a stupid television show. No one has to make such an emotional investment. Imo it's interesting to see how people deal with a crash course in dancing. It's not rocket science and it doesn't pretend to be.

And being a snob is never going to help Stavros get laid. That's the point I was trying to make. A little mindless entertainment isn't going to kill him. I mean, this is a porn forum and Stavros seems oblivious to that fact. Why doesn't he just post his moves in a game of chess right between the Hanging Below the Skirt thread and the Bulge thread? Not that anyone would bother playing him.

Stavros
04-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Nicole, I thought you were being sarcastic when you suggested I watch that tv programme, since you know my interest in culture is high rather than low. Ce n'importe pas. Not really sure why you take such an interest in my sexual behaviour, and in fact I have contributed to other threads on porn, escorts etc, but I guess you never saw my posts. And a lot of the girls that come here like the non-porn/escort stuff because they have a wide range of interests.

Anyway, the thread was an American version of the greatest military foe to the British, which rules out the Chinese, so far; perhaps because Vietnam was such torture for the USA and cost so much in terms of human life, money and national pride, Giap is the hottest candidate, although again, nobody has mentioned any of the spies from the Cold War who were passing secrets to the USSR which in some cases led to to the deaths of US citizens or agents working for the USA in Eastern Europe and the USSR. Perhaps this thread has reached the limits of interest.

robertlouis
04-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Nicole, I thought you were being sarcastic when you suggested I watch that tv programme, since you know my interest in culture is high rather than low. Ce n'importe pas. Not really sure why you take such an interest in my sexual behaviour, and in fact I have contributed to other threads on porn, escorts etc, but I guess you never saw my posts. And a lot of the girls that come here like the non-porn/escort stuff because they have a wide range of interests.

Anyway, the thread was an American version of the greatest military foe to the British, which rules out the Chinese, so far; perhaps because Vietnam was such torture for the USA and cost so much in terms of human life, money and national pride, Giap is the hottest candidate, although again, nobody has mentioned any of the spies from the Cold War who were passing secrets to the USSR which in some cases led to to the deaths of US citizens or agents working for the USA in Eastern Europe and the USSR. Perhaps this thread has reached the limits of interest.

The US as the major component of the UN Forces in Korea came up against Chinese troops in massive numbers during that conflict.

As an aside, if you're looking for nominations for the greatest military foe we British have faced, it has to be Bonaparte.

Ben
04-18-2012, 02:48 AM
These guys.... I mean, we've been there how long now? It's seemingly endless. What's the endgame? Plus how much treasure have we lost?

Nicole Dupre
04-18-2012, 02:54 AM

Werd.

Nicole Dupre
04-18-2012, 03:04 AM
You should have started a thread to determine what the greatest military-themed TS porn has ever been.

Ben
04-18-2012, 03:07 AM
These guys.... I mean, we've been there how long now? It's seemingly endless. What's the endgame? Plus how much treasure have we lost?

Taliban Launches 'Spring Offensive' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04HTnwrdWIk)

buttslinger
04-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Vietnam?
we forfeited.
United States military casualties of war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war)

Helvis2012
04-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Russia....with China coming up the rear.

robertlouis
04-18-2012, 04:13 AM
You should have started a thread to determine what the greatest military-themed TS porn has ever been.

Apairococks Now?

EyeCumInPiece
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM

This answer was so brilliant it left me with nothing to say and pretty much ended the topic IMO :Bowdown: