PDA

View Full Version : RIP Don Knotts

chefmike
02-26-2006, 01:07 AM
RIP Don Knotts

You gave me a million laughs, Barney... thank you.

LOS ANGELES - Don Knotts, the skinny, lovable nerd who kept generations of television audiences laughing as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show," has died. He was 81.

Early in his TV career, he was one of the original cast members of "The Steve Allen Show," the comedy-variety show that ran from 1956-61. He was one of a group of memorable comics backing Allen that included Louis Nye, Tom Poston and Bill "Jose Jimenez" Dana.

Knotts began his show biz career even before he graduated from high school, performing as a ventriloquist at local clubs and churches. He majored in speech at West Virginia University, then took off for the big city.

"I went to New York cold. On a $100 bill. Bummed a ride," he recalled in a visit to his hometown of Morgantown, where city officials renamed a street for him in 1998.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_on_en_tv/obit_knotts

dj4monie
02-26-2006, 01:56 AM
RIP Don Knotts

You gave me a million laughs, Barney... thank you.

LOS ANGELES - Don Knotts, the skinny, lovable nerd who kept generations of television audiences laughing as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show," has died. He was 81.

Early in his TV career, he was one of the original cast members of "The Steve Allen Show," the comedy-variety show that ran from 1956-61. He was one of a group of memorable comics backing Allen that included Louis Nye, Tom Poston and Bill "Jose Jimenez" Dana.

Knotts began his show biz career even before he graduated from high school, performing as a ventriloquist at local clubs and churches. He majored in speech at West Virginia University, then took off for the big city.

"I went to New York cold. On a $100 bill. Bummed a ride," he recalled in a visit to his hometown of Morgantown, where city officials renamed a street for him in 1998.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_on_en_tv/obit_knotts

One of TV's all time greats, underated as well....

We'll miss you Barney Fife!

Man '06 so far as been the Year the famous died...

rick_932
02-26-2006, 02:00 AM
i liked him the best in three's company. he'll definitely be missed

eagleman12
02-26-2006, 09:34 AM
He will be missed! My one of my favorite movies with him was
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

chefmike
02-26-2006, 03:23 PM

Likewise...have you ever seen the movie "No Time For Sargeants" with Andy Griffith? Don Knotts has a small part in it that is fuckin hilarious!

BeardedOne
02-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Man '06 so far as been the Year the famous died...

Really, Darin McGavin (The Nightstalker, the dad from A Christmas Story) also, age 83. :cry:

Loved Don Knotts in all of his roles and often reference his film Ghost & Mister Chicken by shouting "Attaboy, Luther!" at work whenever someone fumbles something. :)

Especially liked his appearance as the gawdily dressed friend of Andy Griffith's 'Matlock' character.

We will miss you, Barney Fife, Luther Heggs, Hollis Figg, and Henry Limpet.

shemalejunky
02-26-2006, 06:19 PM

Quinn
02-26-2006, 06:52 PM
RIP Don Knotts. I always enjoyed his acting. When working to capture a charecter's comedic energy, he always went all out and did some really great work.

-Quinn

robbie
02-27-2006, 05:39 AM

Agreed. I loved the Ghost and Mr. Chicken when I was a kid.
Of course, Barney Fife was a classic supporting "buddy" character, right up there at the top with Ed Norton.

I think one of the great things about Don Knotts too, was how great his appeal was across generations.