PDA

View Full Version : Sex Pistols: Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten.

derrick60053
03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Is there anyone who still appreciates attitude like this? Who cares?... c'mon everbody!...

Sid Vicious 1979 "Something Else" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4HWiH_pzw)

Sid Vicious - C'mon Everybody - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idhZFp-yR_c&feature=related)

Johnny Rotten interview 1987 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktK9xJoOFeM)

JenniferParisHusband
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Any bands that try to have that atitude now can't seem to pull it off, it seems really fake. I can't even think of one that comes close to having that kind of atitude, except maybe Rage Against the Machine, and even then, it seems muted. I love the Pistols music, but the Johnny Rotten attitude has gotten a little old...as has he. At the time, the attitude was great. I miss the energy more though. If anyone these days put in half the effort the Pistols, the Clash, The Ramones, Black Flag, or Dead Kennedys did, I'd be there in a second.

russtafa
03-02-2012, 11:21 AM
they are just an old fashioned rock n roll band and great fun .there are bands around that would have most people very nervous

GroobySteven
03-02-2012, 11:55 AM
They were no different to the Monkees (see another thread) just a manufactured "pop" band aiming at a different crowd. Worked at it's time but more a case of great marketing than anything else.

russtafa
03-02-2012, 11:59 AM
They were no different to the Monkees (see another thread) just a manufactured "pop" band aiming at a different crowd. Worked at it's time but more a case of great marketing than anything else.
exactly mate ,they were a novelty

Nicole Dupre
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
They were genuine and so was their music. But it was Malcolm who packaged them. And packaging is HUGE. He took them on as his next project after the Dolls. He and Vivienne Westwood dressed them in the clothes that Vivienne designed and that Malcolm sold in his shop.

"Punk" was actually from NY. Malcolm discovered so many great things and made them presentation-oriented for the masses, and punk was one of them. And that list is long, and it includes the drag ballroom houses of NY. (Check out "Deep in Vogue".) He was great at discovering and presenting such things.

Anyway, when he no longer had the Dolls, he was still paying attention to what Johnny Thunders was up to. And Johnny, Richard Hell, the Ramones, etc etc were doing something new in on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. That was what he based the Pistols on. The Pistols were not the first punk band. They were the first punk band that people payed attention to. They scared the shit of a lot of people. They offended people. But Malcolm new how to package all of that. He really was brilliant.

As Lydon said above, punk was never a "movement". It was something for kids to do. Malcolm had an eye for such things.

Nicole Dupre
03-02-2012, 04:06 PM
I love this. lol

SEX PISTOLS - JOHNNY ROTTEN INTERVIEW 1977 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJm97o-4qYI)

GET_ON_MY_HYPE
03-02-2012, 11:03 PM
sex pistols really?..try black flag or d.r.i

Nicole Dupre
03-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Try Fear.

txjr3
03-02-2012, 11:16 PM

Bollocks!

GET_ON_MY_HYPE
03-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Fear's good..so is X, The Screamers, The Germs..list goes on and on

russtafa
03-03-2012, 02:42 AM
like the punk thing even though i was in the opposition at that time ,i was a teddyboy during the punk /ted wars around London,great times

Nicole Dupre
03-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Fear's good..so is X, The Screamers, The Germs..list goes on and on
Check out OFF! if you haven't already.

GET_ON_MY_HYPE
03-06-2012, 12:49 AM
yea theyre the shit..Keith Morris should be immortal i tell you!!

Caramel
03-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Talk about hitting the nail on the head, Nicole. Thanks. You brought me back to CBGB nights in an instant and thanks to Derrick for starting this thread. As far as bands with that sort of attitude now? I haven't seen any with balls like that since. If you have, let me know.