PDA

View Full Version : Any "Dead Heads"?

Jhellis978
02-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Ok, the question has been asked for every type of ts in the book (i.e. black, asian, white, hispanic, punk, goth, etc.), but we have yet to ask about the "Dead Head" ts.

How about it, any Dead Heads ts's out there? Even the Republican Party has closeted "Dead Heads" , so I know there are bound to be one or two Dead Heads on this boad. Their music transcends generations; you don't have to be an aging hippy to love the Dead.

johnb
02-19-2006, 07:06 AM
I need a miracle

InvisibleTS
02-19-2006, 07:12 AM
I am but it's not the only thing I listen to at all. Love being as diverse as possible. Obviously too young to have ever seen any GD shows, but do own about 250 and they aren't even one of the 3 bands that I own the most shows of. Although I hardly listen to any of those bands right now (still love them just that my interests have been elsewhere) and I do think about all the $$ I've spent on blank CDs (used to go through a 50 CDR spindle per week for a couple years). If I could have all that $$ back right now there's definatly some much more worthwhile things to use it on. Favorite year? I'll go with 1973.

InvisibleTS
02-19-2006, 03:46 PM
40 shows between 1980-1995, including the last two in Chicago, and the famous Eugene 93.

Here is a link for free live downloads.

http://web1.nugs.net/stash.asp?cmd=dl&artist=-1

I haven't visited nugs.net in years. Too limited a selection if I recall and not always in lossless quality.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Grateful%20Dead
This site is really good, has almost every show possible. They recently changed their policy though and you can only listen to SBD shows, although you can still download any AUD. This site also has a bunch of great music by a wide variety of other bands as well.

http://bt.etree.org/
This site is great because they are still offering SBDs and 5.1 channel mixes of classic shows as well as whatever new shows get taped from a wide variety of bands once again. You'll need to have some basic knowledge on how to use BitTorrent, but it's easy. People always seem to think it's more complicated than it really is before they get it.

Hope these help ya. Enjoy.

mtbazz
02-19-2006, 04:12 PM
ssaw the dead a number of times in the 80's and contien to see the spin-off bands when I can....went to two phil shows at the beacon last week, all three hammerstein and all three tower shows..

for shows got to www.tmnsp.net

Favorite years are 72, 68-69, 77-78

InvisibleTS
02-19-2006, 04:16 PM
ssaw the dead a number of times in the 80's and contien to see the spin-off bands when I can....went to two phil shows at the beacon last week, all three hammerstein and all three tower shows..

for shows got to www.tmnsp.net

Favorite years are 72, 68-69, 77-78

Did you happen to go to the 2/12/06 show at the Beacon? Usually don't download new stuff anymore but that one definatly interested me. Actually in the process of downloading it now. If you went, how was it?

mtbazz
02-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Invisible..

Didnt go to sunday....But I can tell you that Saturday at the Beacon was very good...HAmmerstien last night and saturday night good also (the help>slip>frank last night was simply incredible...

Ariana, overrated is in the ear of the beholder...Outside of Jazz artitsts, the dead were simply the best improvisatial band that has ever existed, and Phil is doing a great job of carrying the torch...

mtbazz
02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
no problem Ariana...Im just overly pumped from last nights show! Great jammy music and fine dancing !

By the way, this is pretty much the first time Ive hung in NYC, so whats up with all of the nice, freindly attractive women ???

Down where I am (outer philly burbs) , I can barely get a woman to act like Im not invisible much less smile and say hello.....Looks like I'll need to start hanging up there more often!

castabyss
02-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Love the Dead. Saw them about 50 times between '84 and '93. Finally heard "Promised Land" at RFK and hung it up. My favorite live moment was a "New Speedway Boogie" around '91, though.......

kennbo
02-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Jerry is/was God. Saw over 30 east coast shows. Oxford,ME and Highgate,Vt were great. Nothing beats an outdoor show in a laid back venue. Of course the Boston Gahden shows were great. I got 2 front row Jerry tix from mail order, amazing. I haven't been to a concert since Jerry died, every other live show pales in comparison to the whole Dead experience. I've toyed with the idea of seeing the reformulated band, but ....I don't know...maybe someday.

joffen84
04-17-2007, 07:25 PM
I love the Dead..... wish i was old enough to have seen them

waldo pepper
04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Here's another great repository of audio, both the Dead and beaucoup others: http://www.sugarmegs.org/

40 shows between 1980-1995, including the last two in Chicago, and the famous Eugene 93.

Here is a link for free live downloads.

http://web1.nugs.net/stash.asp?cmd=dl&artist=-1

I haven't visited nugs.net in years. Too limited a selection if I recall and not always in lossless quality.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Grateful%20Dead
This site is really good, has almost every show possible. They recently changed their policy though and you can only listen to SBD shows, although you can still download any AUD. This site also has a bunch of great music by a wide variety of other bands as well.

http://bt.etree.org/
This site is great because they are still offering SBDs and 5.1 channel mixes of classic shows as well as whatever new shows get taped from a wide variety of bands once again. You'll need to have some basic knowledge on how to use BitTorrent, but it's easy. People always seem to think it's more complicated than it really is before they get it.

Hope these help ya. Enjoy.

MDinMD
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I've been to many Dead shows, but cut down a lot after the '86 summer tour for career related reasons (I graduated from med school that year and became a junior resident, something that gives you almost no time at all). I saw them again a few times in '88 and '93, and that was it. My last Dead show was at Soldier Field, Chicago on June 18, 1993 - a week after the birth of my youngest daughter.

I still wear my '86 summer tour shirt sometimes; the shows weren't necessarily the greatest, but the Dead, Dylan and Tom Petty made a great show back then.

arc angel
04-17-2007, 11:32 PM
kind trade for your xtra!!!! i enjoy the dead but i am truely a phish kid at heart 113 shows. moe and widesperad panic are great jam bands also.

El Nino
04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Any hung angels here ever listen to Phish??

arc angel
04-18-2007, 12:11 AM
there are a few that i know do. :wink:

wombat33
04-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Ok, the question has been asked for every type of ts in the book (i.e. black, asian, white, hispanic, punk, goth, etc.), but we have yet to ask about the "Dead Head" ts.

How about it, any Dead Heads ts's out there? Even the Republican Party has closeted "Dead Heads" , so I know there are bound to be one or two Dead Heads on this boad. Their music transcends generations; you don't have to be an aging hippy to love the Dead.

The Dead are ok. But the Allman Brothers.............now that's music!!!

a994
04-18-2007, 02:49 AM
Favorite year? I'll go with 1973.

Some of the best-ever versions of "Dark Star" (my favorite GD song), "The Other One," and "Playin' In the Band" date from that year, along with "Here Comes Sunshine," "Eyes Of the World," and "Weather Report Suite" which all were introduced in '73. By that time, Garcia had perfected his rounded, calling, squalling, lyrically singing, crying notes as opposed to his more country-and-western-sounding playing of two years earlier, Lesh achieved some of his richest, plushest, most air-conditioned-on-a-scorching-day bass playing, Weir continued to develop his "lead rhythm" guitar playing, Kreutzmann kept the rhythm supple and always moving, K. Godchaux added a little Fender Rhodes 88 to his grand piano playing, and his wife Donna was...Donna (which was a good thing, generally). Musically, they had melded into an organic amalgam of rock-and-roll, folk, country, jazz, non-Western musics, and avant-garde creativity as opposed to having shown one or more of the aforementioned influences as almost distinct entities, and Hunter and Barlow both contributed lyrics that evoked deep feeling and provoked thought, as opposed to the increasingly self-celebratory sex-drugs-and rock-and-roll party schtick that many rock bands were happy to emulate.

Only bad thing about 1973 was, of course, they lost Pigpen.

As for my favorite years, definitely the thermonuclear intensity of 1968-69, followed very closely by the hurtle-off-the-edge-into-the-void weirdness of 1972-74.

arc angel
04-18-2007, 03:14 AM
the shows( dozin at the knick) where some good times, and some great tapes proove jerrry was good when he was in the mood to groove ! i was there and the vibe was soooooo good , i miss that feelin. just miss that feelin.. being in the room is what its about!....great bands still play rooms, just be in one and feel it again.

arc angel
04-18-2007, 03:21 AM
ps , for those true headies ( fast eddie) gave me the name my name arc angel.

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
04-18-2007, 04:02 AM
I love the Dead!!! I've seen them 22 times between 1987 and 1993.Although I enjoy various genres of music , blues,jazz,bluegrass,etc. rock is my fav. Undoubtably, the Grateful Dead are one of my top fav rock bands alongside Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Cream, Hendrix, et al. I've got about 100 Dead bootleg show tapes,but unfortuately my dual cassette player is on the fritz and i'm trying to get another one. No one makes them anymore. Damn technology!! I own a cassette player,CD player,and a turntable but still don't have an iPOD. Just old fashioned I guess.

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
04-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Englishtown NJ,1977- the greatest version of "Eyes" I've ever heard. Capital Theatre NJ 1977- riproaring versions of Music Never Stopped and Scarlet/Fire. Cornell U. Ithaca NY 1977- soundboard-probably one of the greatest Dead shows ever. Harpur college Binghamton NY 1970 3 sets,acoustic and 2 electric with jamming versions of Dancing in the Streets and Viola Lee Blues. Shrine Auditorium CA 1967-super awesome shows-versions of the Other One and Alligator used for Anthem of the Sun.I also have a gem from July 1966 off the soundboard at the Fillmore West-In the Pines,Cardboard Cowboy,Nobodys Fault But Mine,It's All Over Now Baby Blue to name a few. Great sound quality for a 1966 show.Pigpen wails on his VOX organ.He's even louder than Garcia.

a994
04-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Ah yes, Adrienne Barbeaubot. "Cardboard Cowboy" was one of the true lost treasures in the Dead's repertoire. And _Anthem Of the Sun_ is my all-time favorite Dead studio album.

In case you're wondering, my favorite Dead songs are:
"Dark Star"
"New Potato Caboose"
the Feedback segments from 1967-70
the Space segments from any year
the between-set "Seastones" segments from 1974
"Clementine"
"China Cat Sunflower"
"Viola Lee Blues" (not their song, but it was what they did with it)
"The Other One" (with and without the "Cryptical Envelpoment" sections)
"Alligator"
"Caution"
"What's Become Of the Baby?"
"Mountains Of the Moon"
"Doin' That Rag"
"The Eleven"
"Playin' In the Band"
"Weather Report Suite"
"Here Comes Sunshine"
"Ship Of Fools"
"Unbroken Chain"
"King Solomon's Marbles"
"Blues For Allah"
"Sage and Spirit"
"Crazy Fingers"
"Victim Or the Crime"

And my favorite shows:
11/19/66
3/18/67
1/24/68
2/3/68
2/14/68
2/23/68
2/24/68
6/14/68
8/24/68
8/27/68
10/9/68
10/12/68
2/14/69
2/21/69
2/22/69
2/27-3/2/69 (from which most of _Live Dead_ was recorded)
4/6/69
4/21/69
4/22/69
4/27/69
5/18/69
6/5/69
6/7/69 (the night Janis Joplin joined in on "Lovelight")
6/14/69
12/10/69
12/12/69
12/29/69
12/30/69
2/13/70
5/2/70
9/20/70
11/8/70
4/7/72
4/8/72
4/24/72
5/18/72
5/26/72
8/24/72
8/27/72 (best ever "Playin'...," "Dark Star">"El Paso">"Sing Me Back Home" absolutely atomize reality)
9/21/72 (a TRULY INTERGALACTIC "Dark Star")
9/24/72
9/28/72 (best "Other One" after 1968-70)
12/31/72
2/15/73
12/6/73 (another amazing "Dark Star")
12/18/73
5/21/74
6/18/74
6/28/74
6/29/74
9/10/74
9/11/74 (most twistedly avant-freeform-deep space second set ever--"Seastones">Space>"Eyes Of the World">Space>"Wharf Rat")
10/17/74
10/18/74
10/9/89 (first "Dark Star" since early '80s)
12/31/89 (reality-melting "Victim Or the Crime">"Dark Star">Drums>Space>"Dark Star")
3/29/90 (first show with Branford Marsalis)
12/31/90

TJT
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
"Dark Star" LOL!!!

Two Dead stories for you.

Back in the days of 8-track tape players and Orange Sunshine a buddy of mine and I listened to the 8-track version of "Live Dead" all night doing four-way hits of Sunshine in the back of my van on a hillside in the middle of nowhere. When the sun came up we were looking at the trees,which we both swore were giant pot plants,and raving over the great version of "Dark Star" playing on Live Dead?

When we started coming to our senses a couple of hours later we realized the tape deck had ate the 8-track at the beginning of "Dark Star" and we'd been listening to noise for hours?

Two,I used to have a friend who was a tobacco heiress. She wasted her trust fund chasing Jerry Garcia across the country,trying to swipe him from Mountain Girl.

Her real claim to fame was the Cadillac convertible w/ the Deadhead sticker Don Henley references in his song,"The Boys of Summer."

The last time I saw her,around '89,she was still chasing Garcia.

wbilly
04-20-2007, 05:24 PM
If you want the Dead, here's a link to 3,363 live concerts at the Internet Music Archive. All free! Enjoy!

http://tinyurl.com/3o3r9

a994
04-21-2007, 07:06 AM
...and raving over the great version of "Dark Star" playing on Live Dead?

When we started coming to our senses a couple of hours later we realized the tape deck had ate the 8-track at the beginning of "Dark Star" and we'd been listening to noise for hours?

Ah, but that's one of the beauties of "Dark Star." You can put any sound or combination of sounds into it, and it will sound great. Few pieces of music have been as open-ended and able to travel off into such a wide variety of destinations as "Dark Star."

Tail Gunner
04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Having been a published songwriter/guitar player I can appreciate what they did throughout the years, but I just can't get into them in the least bit.

TJT
04-21-2007, 07:39 AM
...and raving over the great version of "Dark Star" playing on Live Dead?

Ah, but that's one of the beauties of "Dark Star." You can put any sound or combination of sounds into it, and it will sound great. Few pieces of music have been as open-ended and able to travel off into such a wide variety of destinations as "Dark Star."

I think it was the potency of that acid. ;) Cats squalling would've sounded great on that stuff.

That was supposedly the last batch of acid Owsley ever made? The Brotherhood of Eternal Love marketed it to raise money to get Tim Leary out of jail.

(The guy who was producing Clearlight in '73 topped it for potency and quality,IMO. That stuff would make you see God and screw him in the ass.)

a994
04-22-2007, 07:48 AM
I think it was the potency of that acid. ;) Cats squalling would've sounded great on that stuff.

Hey, I hear ya. John Cage was right. Any sound can be musical in the right frame of mind.

That was supposedly the last batch of acid Owsley ever made? The Brotherhood of Eternal Love marketed it to raise money to get Tim Leary out of jail.

Wasn't this in 1970, shortly before the Weather Underground helped him escape? Didn't Leary then supposedly turn over on the Brotherhood and/or the Underground after the authorities caught up with him in Switzerland?

TJT
04-22-2007, 07:58 AM
I was thinking it was '71/'72? I was old enough to drive and 8-Tracks were the "new" thing.