PDA

View Full Version : The Grateful Dead Sucks Thread

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Never liked them. Friggin' Black-eyed Peas of Stoner Music. Love Pink Floyd but hate The Grateful Dead.

MdR Dave
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
"black eyed peas"? LOL!

I can barely tolerate most Floyd. Seems a bit on the "emo " side if you ask me. More depressive than psychedelic.

Dino, I am going to PM you a few links later that will likely change your mind about the Dead. You may not like them still afterward but your analogy will change.

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 12:57 AM
"black eyed peas"? LOL!

I can barely tolerate most Floyd. Seems a bit on the "emo " side if you ask me. More depressive than psychedelic.

Dino, I am going to PM you a few links later that will likely change your mind about the Dead. You may not like them still afterward but your analogy will change.

All due respect, it's OK. As someone who's done my share of drugs including a good amount of LSD, I've had more people that I can count that have tried to sell me on The Dead while my head was melting.

bxtoni
02-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, it's true. They sucked. The best thing about the Dead was the band name. Never thought about it. A lot of shitty music from that era road the coat tails of a lot of good music from that era.

MdR Dave
02-29-2012, 01:06 AM
I've had more people that I can count that have tried to sell me on The Dead while my head was melting.

I know the type- fucking hippies. I honestly think Deadheads were the biggest deterrent to a wider audience.

onmyknees
02-29-2012, 01:31 AM
It's Blasphemy Dino !!LOL

Grateful Dead ☮ The Weight (Easy Rider) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0xgD9f5Fk)

russtafa
02-29-2012, 01:40 AM
who are they are they like SLADE,COCKNEY REJECTS,ROSE TATTOO?

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Yeah, it's true. They sucked. The best thing about the Dead was the band name. Never thought about it. A lot of shitty music from that era road the coat tails of a lot of good music from that era.

Yep. I was always into Sabbath and darker music. I gave The Grateful Dead more chances than they deserved because of the band name.

I know the type- fucking hippies. I honestly think Deadheads were the biggest deterrent to a wider audience.

Their Deadhead Dancing and other shit bugs me. Hate those Jerry Garcia stories too. I sold a Gibson SG to a filthy hippy that's probably playing that stuff even still.

It's Blasphemy Dino !!LOL

Grateful Dead ☮ The Weight (Easy Rider) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0xgD9f5Fk)

Sorry buddy. I like "The Band" version better too.

The Band, The Weight ( The Last Waltz Box Set Version) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9uZwmczbuU&feature=related)

buttslinger
02-29-2012, 02:46 AM
mgh...bewwaa, nghhhn BWAACK!!!

FORUM MONITOR!! Delete this thread! Garcia Lame? WTF!!????

fred41
02-29-2012, 03:06 AM
Never got the dead...never got the dance either...they never really sounded good to me. I could listen to Mongolian Throat singing longer than I can listen to Garcia's boring shit.

That's okay though, people probably don't get half the shit I listen to either. It's what makes the world go round.

(They did have some cool album cover's though)

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 03:16 AM
Never got the dead...never got the dance either...

What's the deal with the dancing? I'd go to a Dead concert as long as I could have a skull full of PCP instead of LSD. Aw heck, throw the acid in too and let's see what happens.

fred41
02-29-2012, 04:16 AM
What's the deal with the dancing? I'd go to a Dead concert as long as I could have a skull full of PCP instead of LSD. Aw heck, throw the acid in too and let's see what happens.

lol...I remember a PCP moment from my youth: listening to the Q:are we not men? A: We are Devo album really loud while totally zombied on angel dust.
...weird.

onmyknees
02-29-2012, 04:25 AM

Having been to a few Dead Shows, but in no way a Dead Head....it never appeared to me to be about the music...strangely enough. The drugs were always of the hallucinogenic variety...lol

Bahadir
02-29-2012, 04:31 AM
metal heads sucks

JenniferParisHusband
02-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Yeah, I never got the Dead either. There's some Pink Floyd I like, but it's all more recent (Learning To Fly, etc.) but can't stand the Syd Barret Birdie Hop, He Hop, He Do, kind of shit. That said though, I never got the metal thing either. It all sounds the same to me, thump as fast as you can so you don't have to play accurately, garble your words. I used to at least respect Metalica, but that documentary Some Kind Of Monster really changed that, the complete lack of effort they use in crafting a song just killed my respect for them.

The one I truly never got though, The Doors. I truly believe Jim Morrison was the most overrated person ever.

Nicole Dupre
02-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Dino is actually pretty angry and hates women and happy white boys I guess. I'm no "Deadhead" by any means. But shit. Dino has thee worst taste in music by far of anyone on this forum. Metal is for latent homos and the sexually retarded. Guys into black metal never have GFs, let alone TS GFs or even BFs. Just saying.

Hey, Dino. Are you still upset that an old man prancing around in black leather pants, Ronnie James Dio, died? Awwwww. lol

MdR Dave
02-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Jim Morrison was more poet than rock star as we'd call them these days. His first few shows he sang with his back to the audience. I find the Doors more important as a bridge between the Beats and the hippies than as a band in and of itself. Morrison couldn't handle fame, or being a sex symbol, or drugs, or. . .ah well.

Plus- how the fu€k can you really rock without a bass? Some people. . .

robertlouis
02-29-2012, 05:43 AM
A lot of the Dead's music, especially the interminable live albums, only made any kind of coherent sense when the listener was otherwise chemically incoherent. I do cherish two of their albums though - Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, perhaps because they are so untypical of the rest of their canon, with acoustic guitars, harmonies and a low-key feel. All too often their musical excesses hid the fact that in Bob Weir they had one of the finest and most lyrically innovative songwriters of the era. And Garcia sober was a guitar genius, his pedal steel especially.

But when metalheads started to crank up the volume in the late 70s and beyond, I stopped listening, simply because it seemed to be about volume and effect with the songs relegated altogether. For me it's always been about the song, the combination of lyric and accompaniment, after all, it's given me a reasonably good living in a modest way over the years, but noise for its own sake has always been literally a turn off for me.

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Jim Morrison was more poet than rock star as we'd call them these days. His first few shows he sang with his back to the audience. I find the Doors more important as a bridge between the Beats and the hippies than as a band in and of itself. Morrison couldn't handle fame, or being a sex symbol, or drugs, or. . .ah well.

Plus- how the fu€k can you really rock without a bass? Some people. . .

I'll take The Doors over The Dead any day.

Apocalypse Now - Introduction - HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4WJlLNIsyY)

The Doors - Riders on the Storm - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hwp_P3gKs)

The Doors Peace Frog - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34JarNjoIU)

The Doors - The Changeling - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnjONg6h5zA)

robertlouis
02-29-2012, 05:57 AM
I'll take The Doors over The Dead any day.

The Doors started on a high - their first eponymous album, with the full version of Light My Fire, was one of the best albums of the sixties, Strange Days was a good follow up, then Waiting for the Sun was very mixed. The Soft Parade was poor, then there was a decent rally with Morrison Hotel, but LA Woman, despite its sales figures, was arguably their poorest album and a sad way for the original band to go out. They were fine till Morrison started to believe in the persona he'd created for himself.

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 06:01 AM
The Doors started on a high - their first eponymous album, with the full version of Light My Fire, was one of the best albums of the sixties, Strange Days was a good follow up, then Waiting for the Sun was very mixed. The Soft Parade was poor, then there was a decent rally with Morrison Hotel, but LA Woman, despite its sales figures, was arguably their poorest album and a sad way for the original band to go out. They were fine till Morrison started to believe in the persona he'd created for himself.

Pretty much agree. I like The Doors but Morrison does get tiring after awhile. Nice short and sweet critique of the albums too.:cheers:

robertlouis
02-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Pretty much agree. I like The Doors but Morrison does get tiring after awhile. Nice short and sweet critique of the albums too.:cheers:

Thanks Dino. The first album is magnificent, with Manzarek's swirling organ (!! ;) and Krieger's looping, jazzy guitar riffs providing perfect counterpoint to Morrison's inspired vocals.

Thereafter they became a prime case in point for the argument about metal. When they started they were light, melodically surefooted and exhilarating. The louder they got, the more the musical quality and that essential element, balance, deteriorated.

My two penn'orth anyway. :D

MdR Dave
02-29-2012, 06:16 AM
RL- you hit on my two favorite Dead albums.

But for songwriting- are you sure you don't mean Robert Hunter? He wrote most of their stiff, for good or ill, and Weir cowrote with John Barlow, a semi-notable mathematician.

robertlouis
02-29-2012, 06:24 AM
RL- you hit on my two favorite Dead albums.

But for songwriting- are you sure you don't mean Robert Hunter? He wrote most of their stiff, for good or ill, and Weir cowrote with John Barlow, a semi-notable mathematician.

Whoops! :oops::oops::oops:

My bad, Dave. I did mean Hunter, and I'll take Dire Wolf as the prime example. He goes into territory which other writers never even think of. The closest contemporary equivalent for me would be Richard Thompson.

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks Dino. The first album is magnificent, with Manzarek's swirling organ (!! ;) and Krieger's looping, jazzy guitar riffs providing perfect counterpoint to Morrison's inspired vocals.

Thereafter they became a prime case in point for the argument about metal. When they started they were light, melodically surefooted and exhilarating. The louder they got, the more the musical quality and that essential element, balance, deteriorated.

My two penn'orth anyway. :D

Point taken. I know you don't like Metal but were you much for Black Sabbath, considered the main Pioneers of Metal?

MdR Dave
02-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Hunter was in the same government LSD experiments as Ken Kesey.

For every one of those guys, though, there are thousands of tin-foil hat wearing acid casualties.

ed_jaxon
02-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Like many here i have been to a couple of dead shows and enjoyed myself. The music was a perfect complement to what was swirling around both in and outside of the venue.

I have been to a lot of festivals Woodstock II, Burning Man, Lallapolooza before it sucked but the Dead was the prototype for them all.

I liked the music and the experience that went with it.

buttslinger
02-29-2012, 06:43 AM
For every one of those guys, though, there are thousands of tin-foil hat wearing acid casualties.

You Rang?

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead#forum

Grateful Dead - He's Gone - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEke7x4CKSM)

robertlouis
02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Point taken. I know you don't like Metal but were you much for Black Sabbath, considered the main Pioneers of Metal?

I've looked at that entire family tree, and apart from Cream, Hendrix, early Zepp and some UK punk, I don't have anything.

My reckoning is that what happened to rock in the early to mid-70s was that it split, essentially and eventually three ways.

Prog-rock reached its pompous, unwieldy and pretentious apogee and then, thankfully, died. However, as the dinosaurs faded into dust, their descendants slowly evolved into the various strands of what we now call metal, but too many of them took the pomp and pretension with them - all the norse mythology stuff.

I don't consider punk fits in with that. It was about fast, semi-disposable minimalism, and by god it was exciting, liberating and very different. It's an honourably separate strand of its own.

Finally you have the Eagles* syndrome. Tasteful, tuneful, polished and ultimately boring as fuck. However, that arguably spawned and supported the confessional songwriting style - think Jackson Browne and JD Souther especially, and that's I guess where my interest has lain ever since. Again, it's what I do for a living, so I'd be crazy to knock it.

Finally, the honourable mavericks, like Bowie and Neil Young who ignore fashion and do only what their muse tells them. Springsteen doesn't fit into any of the moulds either.

* The Eagles have, over the years, become the third-best Eagles tribute band in the world. They almost killed off country-rock for good. Thank goodness for the Byrds, the Burritos and Poco.

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 06:56 AM
I've looked at that entire family tree, and apart from Cream, Hendrix, early Zepp and some UK punk, I don't have anything.

My reckoning is that what happened to rock in the early to mid-70s was that it split, essentially and eventually three ways.

Prog-rock reached its pompous, unwieldy and pretentious apogee and then, thankfully, died. However, as the dinosaurs faded into dust, their descendants slowly evolved into the various strands of what we now call metal, but too many of them took the pomp and pretension with them - all the norse mythology stuff.

I don't consider punk fits in with that. It was about fast, semi-disposable minimalism, and by god it was exciting, liberating and very different. It's an honourably separate strand of its own.

Finally you have the Eagles* syndrome. Tasteful, tuneful, polished and ultimately boring as fuck. However, that arguably spawned and supported the confessional songwriting style - think Jackson Browne and JD Souther especially, and that's I guess where my interest has lain ever since. Again, it's what I do for a living, so I'd be crazy to knock it.

Finally, the honourable mavericks, like Bowie and Neil Young who ignore fashion and do only what their muse tells them. Springsteen doesn't fit into any of the moulds either.

* The Eagles have, over the years, become the third-best Eagles tribute band in the world. They almost killed off country-rock for good. Thank goodness for the Byrds, the Burritos and Poco.

All that talk of "boring" and "progressive" and no mention of Rush? I like Rush in short doses or long doses when I have insomnia. You much for them?

Rush - 2112 - Live 1976 - Part 1 of 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEW2-k0EoyE)

Rush - 2112 - Live 1976 - Part 2 of 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SozTRnBbTsU&feature=related)

RUSH - Beyond The Lighted Stage - EXCLUSIVE TEASER #6 - KISS [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpPx9986kCw)

robertlouis
02-29-2012, 07:07 AM
All that talk of "boring" and "progressive" and no mention of Rush? I like Rush in short doses or long doses when I have insomnia. You much for them?

Nope, and sorry for not responding specifically to your q about Sabbath. Well, they never did anything much for me, I'm afraid. The Brummie accents didn't help much either lol.

If I'm insomniac - and it's just turned 5am in the UK - I'll listen to Chopin sonatas and nocturnes.

Mind you, with my new kitten, Henry, there's not much sleep at any time of the day. It's the closest I've got to pussy since I came back from Singapore.... :tongue:

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Nope, and sorry for not responding specifically to your q about Sabbath. Well, they never did anything much for me, I'm afraid. The Brummie accents didn't help much either lol.

If I'm insomniac - and it's just turned 5am in the UK - I'll listen to Chopin sonatas and nocturnes.

Mind you, with my new kitten, Henry, there's not much sleep at any time of the day. It's the closest I've got to pussy since I came back from Singapore.... :tongue:

Congrats on the new cat.

robertlouis
02-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Congrats on the new cat.

Thanks. He's a cutie.

Dino Velvet
02-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks. He's a cutie.

Nice. Black cats are good luck. I've had a couple myself.

theone1982
02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
I like 'Touch of Grey'.

maxpower
02-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I've had numerous friends try to get me into The Grateful Dead over the years, and I just can't abide. I don't get it. And I'm all for recreational drug use. The Dead bore me to fucking tears. They're a good cure for insomnia, but otherwise I've got no use for them. 2 drummers? Really? One guy can't hack it by himself? Keith Moon could drum circles (no pun intended) around both those guys with one arm tied behind his back. And he's been dead for 33 years. I hate The Eagles, too. I don't like metal, either, although I do like me a bit of Black Sabbath. I have the We Sold Our Souls compilation, which is enough for me. My tastes are for 50s/60s classic rock, British invasion, punk, power pop, some 80's new wave, 80s and 90s college/alternative, modern punk and alternative stuff.

maxpower
02-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks. He's a cutie.

Adorable little furball there, Robert. Here's wishing you many years of happiness and friendship together.

a994
02-29-2012, 08:51 AM
I do like the Dead very much, particularly recordings of their live performances from 1966-74. It was during these years that their music changed quite a bit. From the Ron "Pigpen" McKernan-dominated garage blues band of 1966 to the more blues-rock group of 1967 to the full-on experimental psychedelic and polyrhythmic band they became when Mickey Hart joined as their second drummer in late 1967 to the more country-based sound they started to do in mid-1969 (which bore its fruit on the 1970 studio albums Workingman's Dead and American Beauty) to the lighter, jazzier sound of 1972-74, their music underwent a considerable metamorphosis. It was after this period that their music started to stagnate, although there were still occasional good songs and good performances.

BTW, my favorite Dead albums are their experimental albums Anthem Of The Sun (1968), Aoxomoxoa (1969--the original mix), and Live Dead (1970)--the last of which features an early 1969 performance of their most improvisational and exploratory number, "Dark Star," which was the tune that attracted me to them ever since.

But I would recommend starting with the live recordings, since the Dead were always at their best onstage, and this also provides the context in which to view them, as they were very much an improvisational band--they never used setlists, they never played a song the exact same way twice, and some pieces, like "Playin' In The Band," "The Other One," the Drums/Space segments in their late '70s shows onward, and especially "Dark Star" were played with in situ musical and sonic exploration in mind--it has often been said that the Dead were actually a jazz group masquerading as a rock band.

Here's a link to a treasure trove of their live shows over the years. 1970 is a good place to start:
http://www.archive.org
Go to the Live Music Archive. There's an entire Grateful Dead section.

P.S. Dino Velvet, nice cat. May you both enjoy a long life together. :)

P.S.S. robertlouis, I am also a HUGE '70s progressive rock fan, especially of the less-commercial groups such as Egg, Hatfield And The North, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, and Happy The Man. I also am a big fan of jazz, folk, and European classical, especially their more avant-garde strains.

MdR Dave
02-29-2012, 09:13 AM
I'll see your 72-74 and raise you 77 and 85.

5.8.77 Cornell gets all the hype, but 5.5, 5.7 and 5.9 round out an incredible week. And with Betty running the board. . .magic. Dave Lemeiux (sp.?) just released the latr May Mosque show commercially- still SB on the archive, btw.

What about Swing Auditorium when they debuted the stuff on Terrapin Station? February? Amazing. Terrapin, Estimated. . .

Summer 85 was probably the last good run before or after Garcia's drug-induced coma- as the story goes a roadie taught him his licks again when he came out of it.

10.28.85 is another fave- the Brother Esau is (IMO) the best ever and the Ramble on Rose is killer. And I love the 1981 Uptown Theater run. There's a Bird Song in there. . .oh my.

But I do love 72-74- especially the Roscoe Maples show in 73- my favorite "They Love Each Other", Loose Lucy" and Eyes of the World"- a lot of firsts that night.

a994
02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Actually 1977 did have a lot of hot shows.

I just prefer the looser early years. 1972-74 is fantastic though. A bumper crop of Garcia-Hunter and Weir-Barlow songs, Phil Lesh's bass never sounded better, and those unbelievably out-there versions of "Dark Star," "The Other One," and "Playin' In The Band," especially when they would just leave the song and explore these quiet, atonal areas that would usually climax with Garcia's mad whirlpool-like "Tiger" roars through one or more exploding stars and melting nebulae. And I love the "Seastones" segments from the 1974 shows featuring Lesh and guest keyboardist Ned Lagin; sometimes the rest of the band would join in and they all would slowly segue into a space exploration. 9/11/74 and 9/20/74 are excellent examples of that.

But my FAVORITE period is 1968-69. They were playing with raw, visceral, and youthful energy--their playing often had an almost-out-of-control feel to it, they sounded like a band with two drummers as opposed to two drummers trying to play in lockstep like one as in later years, and so many of their classics, like "Dark Star," "China Cat Sunflower," "St. Stephen," "The Other One," and "The Eleven" appeared in early (or a few months before) 1968. Jerry Garcia's Gibson Les Paul had such a loud, throaty sound, Lesh's bass playing sounded like shifting plate tectonics in an endless duet with Garcia, and Pigpen was still very much in charge on the blues numbers like "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl," "Turn On Your Lovelight," and the Dead originals "Alligator" and "Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)" which they would often play together from 20-40 minutes at a time, although Garcia was becoming the dominant musician in the band at this time.

Then in mid-'69, the band began introducing shorter, simpler, country-flavored tunes like "Dire Wolf," "Casey Jones," "High Time," "Black Peter," and Uncle John's Band" into their sets, as Garcia's songwriting partnership with lyricist/poet Robert Hunter began to develop (Hunter had also supplied the words to most of the aforementioned earlier material). Also, keyboardist Tom Constanten's organ playing added a swirling calliope-like element to some of their material, and more sonic surrealism to other material, especially during the Feedback segments that often ended shows or provided a bridge from one song to another.

In 1970, the Dead became more of a song-oriented country-rock band, with Garcia and Bob Weir often playing acoustic guitars and doing unplugged versions of their newer Workingman's Dead and American Beauty songs along with lots of folk and country covers, the more avant-garde Constanten left the group amicably in January of that year, and the longer, more improvisational tunes were no longer played every night.

Bahadir
03-01-2012, 05:37 AM

Only an idiot can call Hendrix and Cream as early metal.Total bullshit.

robertlouis
03-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Only an idiot can call Hendrix and Cream as early metal.Total bullshit.

I tend to agree. Hendrix was unique and Cream were definitely an electric blues band. As I said earlier, metal evolved from the death throes of the early 70s prog-rock strand, and imo not in a good way.

Dino Velvet
03-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Hendrix and Cream definitely weren't Metal but they were very influential in it. No chart that big is completely accurate. I do find it interesting. I noticed Sludge was not included even though Stoner Metal is.

EYEHATEGOD - Dixie Whiskey - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTNWczKWq1k)

EYEHATEGOD - Live at Hellfest 2011 [HQ] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTOyi9ahIU)

fred41
03-01-2012, 06:02 AM
I don't believe heavy Metal came from Prog Rock...I believe both genres developed from similar roots ..but more or less at the same time...give or take a couple of years.

Dino Velvet
03-01-2012, 06:11 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Heavy Metal was conceived when Tony Iommi had an accident in a sheet metal factory and learned to play a different but heavier style. From this many Metal bands were born and have branched out into sub-genres as well.

Tony Iommi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Iommi)

Black Sabbath - black Sabbath - original videoclip - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt3awj_Ah8)

http://musiccourt.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/iommi1.jpg

maxpower
03-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Are you excited about the upcoming new Black Sabbath reunion record, Dino? I read that Bill Ward quit because he wants more money.

Dino Velvet
03-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Are you excited about the upcoming new Black Sabbath reunion record, Dino? I read that Bill Ward quit because he wants more money.

I wish Ozzy would go away and they bring Tony Martin back. Tony sings all the songs good live and had a decent run of his own.

Black Sabbath - When Death Calls - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKQbjIzcnQ)

Black Sabbath - Children of the Sea Live 1989 w Tony Martin - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LK_5DU5L4)

Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe live 1994 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QatZllWzQAw)

Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes Live 1994 (Full) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoImNilQTKI)

maxpower
03-01-2012, 07:36 AM
I wish Ozzy would go away and they bring Tony Martin back. Tony sings all the songs good live and had a decent run of his own.

Really? I'm not a huge Sabbath fan or anything, but I can't imagine "Paranoid" or "War Pigs" without Ozzy's voice.

Dino Velvet
03-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Really? I'm not a huge Sabbath fan or anything, but I can't imagine "Paranoid" or "War Pigs" without Ozzy's voice.

I haven't been much for Ozzy since around 1983 as I only liked Blizzard and Diary. Tony and Geezer are the only guys you can't replace. Sabbath was just not as Sabbathy without Butler.

Dino Velvet
03-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Here's a good Ozzy song. It's on Bill Ward's album.

BOMBERS(CAN OPEN BOMB BAYS) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDBWJIYGaI)

theone1982
03-01-2012, 08:02 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Heavy Metal was conceived when Tony Iommi had an accident in a sheet metal factory and learned to play a different but heavier style. From this many Metal bands were born and have branched out into sub-genres as well.

Tony Iommi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Iommi)

Black Sabbath - black Sabbath - original videoclip - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt3awj_Ah8)

http://musiccourt.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/iommi1.jpg

I agree with that. Some people also think that The Door's song 'Five To One' is the first metal song.

maxpower
03-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Here's a good Ozzy song. It's on Bill Ward's album.

Hahaha...Ozzy with 80's hair.

OK...can we get back to shitting on the Grateful Dead?

Dino Velvet
03-01-2012, 08:05 AM
I agree with that. Some people also think that The Door's song 'Five To One' is the first metal song.

Sabbath had not only the musical style but the lyrics too.

Black Sabbath Hand Of Doom (HQ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCk4yZqe178&feature=related)

slayer - hand of doom - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26VOhSbQTJg)

theone1982
03-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Sabbath had not only the musical style but the lyrics too.

Black Sabbath Hand Of Doom (HQ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCk4yZqe178&feature=related)

slayer - hand of doom - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26VOhSbQTJg)

Yep. I've always wondered though what Jim Morrison would think of metal if he had lived.

robertlouis
03-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Hendrix and Cream definitely weren't Metal but they were very influential in it. No chart that big is completely accurate. I do find it interesting. I noticed Sludge was not included even though Stoner Metal is.

Whoops and apologies from me Dino - I would never infer that you were an idiot despite all the evidence that you frequently provide to the contrary...

And you know as a friend that I'm joking. We simply don't like the same music, that's all.

robertlouis
03-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Yep. I've always wondered though what Jim Morrison would think of metal if he had lived.

I reckon he would have hated it. The Doors at their best were an exuberant, jazz-influenced band.

theone1982
03-01-2012, 08:49 AM
I reckon he would have hated it. The Doors at their best were an exuberant, jazz-influenced band.

Hmmm, I don't know, I always pictured the Doors going in a more Led Zeppelin direction if Morrison had lived. I certainly think many of their songs were heavier than what was being put out by the sort of flower power contemporaries that the Doors were usually grouped in with.

robertlouis
03-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Hmmm, I don't know, I always pictured the Doors going in a more Led Zeppelin direction if Morrison had lived. I certainly think many of their songs were heavier than what was being put out by the sort of flower power contemporaries that the Doors were usually grouped in with.

I'm not so sure. On all of their albums the more melodic songs far outweigh the heavy numbers. Morrison might have had some leanings towards metal, but I reckon the rest of the band wouldn't have gone with him. Krieger is one of the most underrated guitarists of the era. Listen to the Strange Days album especially for his looping, loose, jazzy solos.

theone1982
03-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm not so sure. On all of their albums the more melodic songs far outweigh the heavy numbers. Morrison might have had some leanings towards metal, but I reckon the rest of the band wouldn't have gone with him. Krieger is one of the most underrated guitarists of the era. Listen to the Strange Days album especially for his looping, loose, jazzy solos.

Yeah, I can see that. Maybe Morrison would have left and formed his own metal group like Ozzy did. lol

Dino Velvet
03-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Whoops and apologies from me Dino - I would never infer that you were an idiot despite all the evidence that you frequently provide to the contrary...

And you know as a friend that I'm joking. We simply don't like the same music, that's all.

I know. I didn't think that at all. I'm sitting here stoned and happy as a clam.

robertlouis
03-01-2012, 09:10 AM
I know. I didn't think that at all. I'm sitting here stoned and happy as a clam.

Does that mean I'll be in big trouble when you're sober? :tongue:

buttslinger
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Fingernails on a chalkboard? No, not Ozzy's music,.....Ozzy's WIFE!

mtbazz
03-02-2012, 01:44 AM
How about a RUSH sucks thread, or Led Zeppelin, Ozzy, Phish ***insert despised artist here*** thread.

Pretty fucking ignorant to say something you do not appreciate or like sucks...There are a number of bands I do not like (can not stand), yet for the majority of them I recognize they have some talent and ability and appreciate that.

The Grateful Dead far from sucked...They were (for their time) masters of improvisation, were excellent songwriters, and took the mind to brand new, never before experienced levels through their experiments with physchedellics and music. Furthermore, they and the people associated with them (Alembic) pioneered improvements and new ideas in sound technology, speaker systems, instrument electronics, and much more.

Also, the musical example posted earlier is a horrible exampled of what they did..
Try this.

Sunshine Daydream - Jack Straw - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xY-_B4RgY)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xY-_B4RgY- YouTube[/url][/QUOTE]

onmyknees
03-02-2012, 02:27 AM
How about a RUSH sucks thread, or Led Zeppelin, Ozzy, Phish ***insert despised artist here*** thread.

Pretty fucking ignorant to say something you do not appreciate or like sucks...There are a number of bands I do not like (can not stand), yet for the majority of them I recognize they have some talent and ability and appreciate that.

The Grateful Dead far from sucked...They were (for their time) masters of improvisation, were excellent songwriters, and took the mind to brand new, never before experienced levels through their experiments with physchedellics and music. Furthermore, they and the people associated with them (Alembic) pioneered improvements and new ideas in sound technology, speaker systems, instrument electronics, and much more.

Also, the musical example posted earlier is a horrible exampled of what they did..
Try this.

Sunshine Daydream - Jack Straw - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xY-_B4RgY)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xY-_B4RgY- YouTube[/url][/QUOTE]

OK...relax here. It's only Dino....I'll betcha if you invited him over your place, had the right gurls ( he digs Asians) and the right whiskey, he'd listen to Dead tunes all weekend and love it. He's flexible like that ! lmao

fred41
03-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Well if that's a better example, then they're worse than I originally thought...:)

luvshemales
03-02-2012, 06:36 AM

The Grateful Dead far from sucked...[/QUOTE]

Agreed well the OP has made some of the stupidest comments on here after all he is a metalhead enough said. I think metal was a fad of mine from the age of 14-16 and than I discovered real music.
:dead-1:

Fare you well my honey
Fare you well my only true one
All the birds that are singing are flown, except you alone
Goin to leave this broke down palace
On my hands and knees, I will roll, roll, roll
Make myself a bed on the waterside
In my time I will roll, roll, roll

MdR Dave
03-02-2012, 07:59 AM
That seems a bit much. Music hits your soul- it's an attraction of sorts- and I'm happy we live in a time when so much different stuff is available.

I would no more fault anyone for the music they like, or judge them by it, than I would fault or judge their sexuality.

It's subjective. We have opinions about all of it but the "truth" we have speaks only to us.

I don't even get this much crap when I tell people I don't think the Beatles were all that great.

boner
03-03-2012, 07:33 AM
The Grateful Dead were good at what they did. I find their music completely boring however. Long, meandering jam sessions just don't do it for me.

Faldur
03-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Say it ain't so Dino... Long live Jerry, 52 shows, grew up in SF and never forgetting who they were..

The Dead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0BbYvDwrF8&feature=related)

Dino Velvet
03-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Say it ain't so Dino... Long live Jerry, 52 shows and never forgetting who they were..

The Dead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0BbYvDwrF8&feature=related)

Yeah... sorry. To be honest I regret starting this thread. Sorry Deadheads. I apologize.

Faldur
03-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Next your going to tell me Jack Jive Schafer didn't exist on Pier 40...

Jack Jive and Melody Ann (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/schafermelody)

Dino Velvet
03-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Next your going to tell me Jack Jive Schafer didn't exist on Pier 40...

Jack Jive and Melody Ann (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/schafermelody)

Is that Uncle Junior from The Sopranos?

http://images.cdbaby.name/s/c/schafermelody.jpg

russtafa
03-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Yeah... sorry. To be honest I regret starting this thread. Sorry Deadheads. I apologize.don't let the hippies suck you in man

buttslinger
03-03-2012, 09:25 AM
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn,
I could arm a town the size of Abilene

Dino Velvet
03-03-2012, 10:04 AM
don't let the hippies suck you in man

It's OK. I was thinking I wouldn't like someone making a "The Black Sabbath Sucks Thread". When I'm wrong I admit it. OMK and Faldur are also fans among others here and I don't want to run down a band people like.

Here's an Olive Branch. I do like The Allman Brothers and here they are with Jerry Garcia.

"Whipping post jam" - The Allman Brothers Band Live At Cow Palace San Francisco 1973 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8tkxY7vkXs)

Allman Brothers Band with Jerry Garcia - Mountain Jam (Part One) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy7zoEE7cWk)

Allman Brothers Band with Jerry Garcia - Mountain Jam (Part Two) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bwwo2Q9Cy8&feature=related)

a994
03-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Yeah... sorry. To be honest I regret starting this thread. Sorry Deadheads. I apologize.

That's cool Dino. We all have our opinions. And thanks for the Allman Brothers video links.

And here's a link to a sample of one of the Dead's hottest 1968 moments:
Grateful Dead Live in Sultan 9-2-68 -- (3 of 8) The Eleven & - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6NLydjDVEM) Enjoy. :)

hippifried
03-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Why not just start a thread called "I'm a ____(place genre here)____ snob"?

The Grateful Dead were a folk music band. Jerry Garcia was an officianado of the genre. More often than not, if you were to add a fiddle & a banjo, you'd be hearing bluegrass. The very idea that this was psychedelic drug music is crap & always was. You don't get it? A Dead concert was a party. You didn't go there to quietly listen to the maestro's interpretation of Mozart. It was about having fun. That's what you're not getting. You're all trying to overanalyze this. There were no "periods". It's not Picasso going from blue to cubist. It was never about the songs or the recordings. It was about the jam. If you were lucky, & everybody was clicking that night, you could hear some of the most brilliant improvisational counterpoint out there. The song was just a vehicle to get it going. Most of it isn't on record. Too long to fit on vinyl. I went to a show in 1980 where "Truckin'" was one of the songs used to do it. It all started normal enough, but the instrumental break took off & didn't come back down for an hour or so. Phenominal.

As for the rest of this bullshit:
Hendrix not "heavy metal"? Huh? Since when? The term was coined as an attempt to describe his music, long before anybody ever heard of Ozzie. Black Sabbath was slightly after my time anyway, but I think what turned me off to them was the middle school garage band across the street constantly trying to play "Iron Man", & my inability to find a decent pair of ear plugs.

HEY!!!!! It's all rock n' roll.

Nicole Dupre
03-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Dino's an alcoholic shut-in, who actually had the nerve to say that Nicole Simpson "got what she deserved" from OJ. So imo the guy's not capable of saying much that he won't potentially regret.

And now he's backpeddling because he realizes he offended a few of his bromantic buddies? Pfffft. Pathetic. That's what you get when you remain stuck in an adolescent fantasy world, and wake up one day as an old bachelor who plays with his gun collection and looks for bargain hookers.

Dino's death metal music is he worst crap ever recorded; loser music for loser fans, based more on what they don't like than what they DO like. If Dino ever actually had any friends IRL, they needed to drag him to an AA meeting decades ago. The guy needs serious help. What a sad culture we live in, that produces a man who named himself after a fictitious character who makes violent porn and snuff films.

Dino was nice to me, but now I think he's just nice to anyone who'll bother to talk to him. Women can't trust guys like that; especially if they can cheer OJ on for Nicole Simpson's murder. I mean, why be nice to women you don't know on a porn forum, and then say another woman you don't know deserved to be brutally murdered by her husband? Not cool.

Voyager7
03-03-2012, 04:07 PM
If the Thunder don't getcha then the Lightening will....

Grateful Dead - The Wheel (Studio Version) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGWYShgmfk)

Only wish he would have kept up with the pedal steel through the years...

budeluv77
03-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Saw the Dead several times in the late 90's. I have over 200 1st gen. shows on old school Maxell XL II tapes. More than that in MP3's. 74-78 are my favorite years, although I did love the 80's when the Brent Mydland sound came in. Fare you well Jerry. RIP!!!

MdR Dave
03-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't know Dino so I can't argue Nicole's assessment but on the whole it seems off to me.

And harsh.

Besides, other than the title the worst thing Dino said in this thread was essentially "I don't like them, I like band x better".

As a Dead fan (over 100 shows in person) I've heard a lot worse.

As an HA fan, I've read a lot worse.

This thread got more play than I expected- dino's posts get people talking.

Glad to see more from Nicole lately- I miss her when she's gone.

Nicole Dupre
03-03-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't know Dino so I can't argue Nicole's assessment but on the whole it seems off to me.

And harsh.

Besides, other than the title the worst thing Dino said in this thread was essentially "I don't like them, I like band x better".

As a Dead fan (over 100 shows in person) I've heard a lot worse.

As an HA fan, I've read a lot worse.

This thread got more play than I expected- dino's posts get people talking.

Glad to see more from Nicole lately- I miss her when she's gone.
Dino should really have never said 'Nicole Simpson was asking for it from OJ'. The guy is completely fucked up to say such a thing. It's a pretty disturbing comment. And I don't like the whole death metal gun nut Nazi vibe he has going. That's just how I feel.

traLika
03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
To be honest I regret starting this thread. Sorry Deadheads. I apologize.

Nah, fuck 'em. I hate the Dead...

buttslinger
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
If 1939 was the high time for movies, then 1966-69 was the high time for music.

robertlouis
03-04-2012, 05:32 AM
If 1939 was the high time for movies, then 1966-69 was the high time for music.

The Grapes of Wrath (yes!), Gone with the Wind (hmm), The Wizard of Oz and err, that's about it, isn't it?

The 70s weren't THE high spot for movies in terms of a consistent decade, but Hollywood undoubtedly produced more high quality films then than arguably any other decade. Back then the studios were still taking risks and giving auteurs space, unlike the endless mindless retreads that fill the cinemas nowadays.

1966-69 is a pretty narrow slot. OK, it gives us Pet Sounds, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, The White Album, Disraeli Gears, Notorious Byrd Brothers, Surfs Up, Santana, Forever Changes, The Doors, Laura Nyro, Music from Big Pink and The Band.

But Dylan was nursing his wounds, Bowie had still to emerge, and the Stones were a few years from their finest hour with Exile on Main Street.

Make it a decade to '75 and I'm in - we could add Joni, Jackson Browne and a whole raft of solo songwriters, plus Dylan's finest - Blood on the Tracks.

yourdaddy
03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
The Dead was a live band. If you're too young to have ever seen them live then you don't know WTF you're talking about.

EZWind
03-05-2012, 12:13 AM
The Dead was a live band. If you're too young to have ever seen them live then you don't know WTF you're talking about.

amen to that,brother....my first live show was Halloween 1970 and they Owned me from then on
...yer either on the Bus or off the Bus
....as for Dino...I don't know from what the hell part of left field ya pulled This topic out of...or why....but it did make for some interesting reading

:dead-1:

hippifried
03-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Dino should really have never said 'Nicole Simpson was asking for it from OJ'. The guy is completely fucked up to say such a thing. It's a pretty disturbing comment. And I don't like the whole death metal gun nut Nazi vibe he has going. That's just how I feel.
Did she get a cold sore from too much ascorbic acid? & what's her relation to Homer?

Yvonne183
03-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Who are the Grateful dead? Are they one of those bands the old folks listen to? Sort of like Dean Martin, I like Dean Martin.

I think the Grateful dead was a 70's street gang from the Bronx, Throggs Neck section I believe. I think they allied with the Ministers.

Nicole Dupre
03-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Did she get a cold sore from too much ascorbic acid? & what's her relation to Homer?
Actually, calling her Nicole Simpson is disrespectful. Her name was Nicole Brown, and OJ Simpson murdered her. And she didn't have it coming. No one has that coming

El Nino
03-05-2012, 02:28 AM
the dead was a live band. If you're too young to have ever seen them live then you don't know wtf you're talking about.

this

MNccklvr
03-05-2012, 02:33 AM
The Dead was the best band EVER

russtafa
03-05-2012, 02:58 AM
are they like anti nowhere league,cockney rejects?

Nicole Dupre
03-05-2012, 03:00 AM
are they like anti nowhere league,cockney rejects?
lol No.