PDA

View Full Version : Transatlantic linguistic confusions

Prospero
02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
There are endless language confusions between we British and you Americans.
Examples - fanny. In the UK its slang for a woman's genitals. In the US it means the bottom. (I think)

So when we Brits read this week that the Groundhog Day event featuring Mayor Bloomberg and a cute ground hog took place in a place called Gobblers Knob near Punxsutawney it will have prompted considerable amusement.

Gobbler in the UK is slang for someone who sucks cock and knob is a slang word for a cock.

Odelay
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Have an American friend who dated an english bloke years ago who went to visit his family. At the dinner table towards the end of a meal her boyfriend's brother asked if she'd like a little more food. She replied, "I can't. I'm stuffed." After receiving some startled looks from her guy's parents, the brother chuckled and told her she might want to rephrase that.

maxpower
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
There are endless language confusions between we British and you Americans.
Examples - fanny. In the UK its slang for a woman's genitals. In the US it means the bottom. (I think)

So when we Brits read this week that the Groundhog Day event featuring Mayor Bloomberg and a cute ground hog took place in a place called Gobblers Knob near Punxsutawney it will have prompted considerable amusement.

Gobbler in the UK is slang for someone who sucks cock and knob is a slang word for a cock.

Yeah, that always makes me chuckle.