PDA

View Full Version : Street Hookers in London

Fadroma10
02-03-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm curious why there aren't any street hookers in London. Neither women or TS. Can anyone explain what the recent history is about it?
It can't be because it's too cold, can it?:geek:

deangamble1967
02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I left London in 2004 and I could have named at least 2 streets were GGs worked on the streets, may not be flaunting it as they do in other countries but its there (or was) if you knew where to look

God thats 2 posts in as many minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!

LibertyHarkness
02-03-2012, 01:06 AM
becuase its illegal now .. and the police in london have clamped down basically on it ... most prostition is now lowkey off the street. like you wont see amny phone boxes with cards or if they are carded they get taken down fast ..

also with the murders a few years back of the streetwalkers in ipswich that had a massive impact on street prostitiion as well ..

I am sure if someone looks hard enough though there is still girls on the street just being more sublte with it

martin48
02-03-2012, 01:24 AM
There are still a few but places like Kings Cross aren't what they used to be. Times have changed but the latest estimates are that over 80,000 hookers work the streets in the UK. More laws, more cameras, more overseas sex workers, more violence on the streets (but if you are on hard drugs, you don't care about the dangers - just where the next fix is coming from. Nearly 90% of women on the streets are on hard drugs). Big effort to clean up both on and off the streets for the bloody Olympics - I had thought it was a sporting event but less chance to take part in the oldest sport.

Fadroma10
02-03-2012, 06:30 AM
interesting....all very interesting.
Thanks for your answers guys

flabbybody
02-03-2012, 08:15 AM
you may wanna google William Bratton. He was commissioner of the New York City Police department back in the 90's and adopted a strict no tolerance strategy toward petty street crime that took its toll on our hooker's stroll in Manhattan, Bronx and Queens. It resulted in dramatic reductions in city wide murders, subway assaults, muggings, rapes and car jackings. His novel approach was copied by many big city police departments in the USA, South America, and Europe.
London PD tried to hire him in 2010 but got too much public flack cuz he's not a British subject. He's currently there as a "civilian" consultant.

another thing to blame on the Yanks

Stavros
02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I replied to this thread in the Reviews section because I went there first; some memories of Ts streetwalkers in Earl's Court in the 1980s, but as I said there, I believe this scene has gone now, and that is a good thing.

Prospero
02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I've not seen any obvious streetwalkers in London in a decade. They use to cluster in places like Gordon Square in Kings Cross, in Soho and in Bayswater. No more.

Fadroma10
02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
you may wanna google William Bratton. He was commissioner of the New York City Police department back in the 90's and adopted a strict no tolerance strategy toward petty street crime that took its toll on our hooker's stroll in Manhattan, Bronx and Queens. It resulted in dramatic reductions in city wide murders, subway assaults, muggings, rapes and car jackings. His novel approach was copied by many big city police departments in the USA, South America, and Europe.
London PD tried to hire him in 2010 but got too much public flack cuz he's not a British subject. He's currently there as a "civilian" consultant.

I know the story, but it's not entirely correct the way you put it:
First of all, he was honoured with the title of Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in recognition of his work to promote cooperation between US and UK police.
Then he was haired to lead the Metropolitan police to implement a new system to put an end to the riots and disorders (happened a few months ago) and guarantee a safe future. There was no public flack. Simply the home secretary insisted that for such an important role, it's preferable to have a british citizen who has a little experience with british law...who can be still advised and led by William Bratton. It's just the title that can not be given to a foreigner. Nothing to do with the fact that he's American. It would be the same if he was Australian, Bangladeshi or Chinese. Would you put as a Chief of the national police someone without a green card?

Dino Velvet
02-03-2012, 11:21 PM

Bratton was our Police Chief too. As a whore monger I didn't like him but as a citizen who likes to sleep in peace he was a decent Chief. He sure was better than useless Bernie Parks.

Tyler___Durden
02-04-2012, 03:24 AM
My friend used to street walk in Paddington.
She did this post op only.
(Talk about dangerous!)
She was doing £20 to £30 B/J's, while talking about getting a different life
by being head-hunted and given a top corporate job.

Weird thing is that we lost contact for a year and then she phoned to say she was back in the UK for a week,
and that she had been head-hunted
given a top executive job in Australia.
(Turned out that her new boss had worked with her in a previous life {pre-transition} and wanted to form a team around her)
She got the big bucks job after all.
Died last year in a car crash in a hire car.
Me and another mutual friend were her uk contacts which is how I ended up talking with her boss.
She was very highly thought of in her past and those feelings continued after she started in Oz.
I miss her phone calls at weird hours where she would talk about the field she worked in
Along with her desire to return to street-whoring.

Oh, while she was working on the street, the police picked her up a number of times for soliciting.
So I've no idea how she got through Oz work-immigration, unless they base their checks on trust...

As Liberty says, street work is very illegal.
And The Ipswich serial killings / crackdown has pushed it underground in a lot of places.
I drove past Steve Wright's (he is the serial killer) old house last weekend.
He lived very close to friends {one a Ts}. They were living there during the killings
and when the police were doing the door to door enquiries.
"Have you ever been known by any other name?"
She fudged the answer on that one....