PDA

View Full Version : Ex-President Carter: Eavesdropping Illegal

chefmike
02-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Ex-President Carter: Eavesdropping Illegal

By KATHLEEN HENNESSEY, Associated Press Writer
Mon Feb 6, 11:00 PM ET

HENDERSON, Nev. - Former President Jimmy Carter criticized the Bush administration's domestic eavesdropping program Monday and said he believes the president has broken the law.

"Under the Bush administration, there's been a disgraceful and illegal decision — we're not going to the let the judges or the Congress or anyone else know that we're spying on the American people," Carter told reporters. "And no one knows how many innocent Americans have had their privacy violated under this secret act."

Carter made the remarks at a union hall near Las Vegas, where his oldest son, Jack Carter, announced his candidacy for the U.S. Senate.

The former president also rebuked Attorney General Alberto Gonzales for telling Congress that the spying program is authorized under Article 2 of the Constitution and does not violate the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act passed during Carter's administration. Gonzales made the assertions in testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, which began investigating the eavesdropping program Monday.

"It's a ridiculous argument, not only bad, it's ridiculous. Obviously, the attorney general who said it's all right to torture prisoners and so forth is going to support the person who put him in office. But he's a very partisan attorney general and there's no doubt that he would say that," Carter said. "I hope that eventually the case will go to the Supreme Court. I have no doubt that when it's over, the Supreme Court will rule that Bush has violated the law."

The former president said he would testify before the Judiciary Committee if asked.

"If my voice is important to point of the intent of the law that was passed when I was president, I know all about that because it was one of the most important decisions I had to make."

chefmike
02-08-2006, 01:14 AM
The Founding High-Tech Fathers, a Story by Alberto Gonzales

Patt Morrison
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pat-morrison/

It's wonderful that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has a lively imagination, and more wonderful still that he shared it with United States Senators.

Atty. Gen. Gonzales: "... President Washington, President Lincoln, President Wilson, President Roosevelt have all authorized electronic surveillance on a far broader scale. ''

Perhaps he gets it from his fellows in the Bush Administration; if you can believe, in spite of evidence to the contrary, that WMDs were real, then it's a snap to believe that George Washington had a PDA:

Or maybe he's seen something we haven't -- deep in all the millions of files that the Bush White House has so vigorously re-classified over the last five years, there are startling, top-secret parchment revelations about earlier presidents, memos like these:

"To: Gen. Geo. Washington

"General: Transcripts of Lord Cornwallis' monitored cell phone calls last evening mention that His Lordship spoke more than once upon a 'spotted dick pudding.' Our code-breakers ween this to be some cloaked language of sinister portent, sir, and have set upon working to divine its meaning with all haste and diligence.''

"To: President A. Lincoln

"Mr. President: Enclosed herein are yesterday's logs of intercepts of Blackberry e-mail exchanges between Gen. Lee and Capt. Rhett Butler. Yr obdt servant ... ''

You at home can play along, too. Let's see ... what would have happened if Romeo and Juliet had had cell phones? What if Alexander the Great had had Amoxicillin? What if Abraham Zapruder had had a JVC GY-HD100U High Definition 3-CCD Mini DV Professional Digital Video Camcorder with 16x Pro HD Fujinon lens and 24-Frame Progressive Recording?
In the Supreme Court's first wiretapping case, Olmstead v. United States, in 1928, it was Justice Louis Brandeis who wrote in his dissent, "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent ... the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal ... ''

Gonzales ran from the Senators' legal hypotheticals like they were the bird flu, but maybe next time we hear from the attorney general, he will finally let us know his mind on this hypothetical, a what-if that's obsessed Americans for years: Could Godzilla beat King Kong?

brickcitybrother
02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
I don't think that there is a legitimate argument as to the legality of the domestic spying program as implemented by the NSA pursuant to the direction and authority of the President.

However, I do think that there is a legitimate as to whether we as citizens will allow this exchange of freedom for the feeling safety and security. Personally, I do not think it is necessary.

chefmike
02-08-2006, 05:15 PM
It appears as though things are heating up for shrubya and the neocon cabal on this issue-

Republican Overseeing NSA Breaks From Bush To Call For Full Investigation Into Domestic Spying...
NY Times | ERIC LICHTBLAU | Posted February 7, 2006 10:56 PM

A House Republican whose subcommittee oversees the National Security Agency broke ranks with the White House on Tuesday and called for a full Congressional inquiry into the Bush administration's domestic eavesdropping program.

The lawmaker, Representative Heather A. Wilson of New Mexico, chairwoman of the House Intelligence Subcommittee on Technical and Tactical Intelligence, said in an interview that she had "serious concerns" about the surveillance program. By withholding information about its operations from many lawmakers, she said, the administration has deepened her apprehension about whom the agency is monitoring and why.

Trogdor
02-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Boy, Dubya's thinking he's walking on water, is he not? :?:

InHouston
02-08-2006, 06:14 PM
:roll: ChefMike is yet again demonstrating is high-level cut and paste skills.

chefmike
02-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Glad to see that you popped in from your militia meeting... uh oh, isn't it about time for rush the junkie's show?...wouldn't want you to miss that...megadittoes, pilgram!!!! :roll: