PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton's Human Rights Day speech on human rights.

qchorndog
12-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Not a big fan of the speaker, but I liked the speech.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06/hillary-clinton-gay-rights-speech-geneva_n_1132392.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

addicted
12-08-2011, 02:44 AM
really? hillary is a piece of shit

NatashaLover
12-09-2011, 05:33 AM
Great speech!! Thanks for posting, I invite the Puerto Rican present government to listen to this speech before continuing with the elimination of LGBT right to be protected under the "hate crime law". We need to be included under this law to guarantee the safety of the fellow LGBT citizens.

rydermorrison
12-09-2011, 05:47 AM
she mentioned trans ppl like twice in that whole speech. It was a good look for gay ppl but as a trans woman I'm disappointed...

Ben
12-10-2011, 09:14 PM
she mentioned trans ppl like twice in that whole speech. It was a good look for gay ppl but as a trans woman I'm disappointed...

Unless there's sufficient civil resistance/disobedience, as it were, governments won't respond to public opinion. Governments are only interested in one thing. Their own power. And what do governments want to do: increase their own power.
But when people organize, as happened with black Americans in the 50s and 60s and student so-called radicals in the 60s and women in the 70s, then governments do respond. They concede. (There was sufficient anti-war protests in the 60s and 70s that the business community essentially ordered Nixon to bring the troops home from Vietnam.)
Governments, like, say, abusive husbands, only backdown when there's a sufficient threat to their power. So, they had to concede to black Americans and women and, too, the environmental movement. (President Nixon, arguably the last liberal president, responded to sufficient organized environmental protests when he set up the Environmental Protection Agency back in 1970.)
So, the LGBT community have to organize and demand justice, as it were.