PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with an unchanged Passport

cassie09
12-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues going abroad with a passport that did not have the gender marker to reflect their transitioned gender.

I will be travelling to the Dominican Republic next week for a vacation with some friends, but my passport says male (unfortunately Canada doesn't let us change it until we've had SRS).

My name has been changed on all legal documents including my passport and I've had both FFS and a BA so I'm sure the big M on my passport is going to raise significant questions.

I've heard of some people getting stopped, imprisoned, etc. but those tend to happen in super strict countries like the Arab States and Singapore.

Any issues with Latin America? (mexico, dominican republic, etc.)?

TsJizelle
12-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I had the rules and restrictions that there is for the gender change on your identification in Canada. I know there are some ways around it, depending on the province you are in, but specifically with a passport as you said you need to have SRS in order for it to be changed.

that being said, I had no issues going to the states and I know of other girls who have travelled and gone on vacation in Latin America without any problems. At most, the may pull you aside while going through customs just to ask some obvious questions.

I find sometimes this is just the sheer curiosity. That's what happened when I flew to San Francisco. I got pulled aside for 30 mins, asked why my passport says Male and blah blah blah. so long as you don't have any criminal charges you should be fine.

it's just the bullshit and the hassle of having to go through it that's so frustrating, but it shouldn't prevent you from going on your trip though

cassie09
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I didn't have any issues going to the U.S. either. The customs official barely looked at my passport before stamping it, I don't think he even saw the big M.

I spoke to the Dominican Republic embassy and they basically told me that I shouldn't have problems as long as my physical appearance matches my passport picture. Nevertheless I'll bring my health card and birth certificate along with me in case they ask anything else.

alyssaluxor
12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I have male passport also and i look very feminine in person so Immigration officer wouldnt believe that im really a male. They often taught im using a fake passport so they usually ask me for birth certificate or any id proving im a male. Most countries not that strict but yes ive heard in Arab countries be careful.