PDA

View Full Version : Occupy LA vs LAPD

Dino Velvet
11-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Anybody watching? Wonder what Charlie Beck will do if things get rough. People with arms wrapped together wearing gas masks too.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/

Nivek
11-30-2011, 10:17 AM
I kinda wish these ppl were more organized and not just sleeping in parks. They need direction.

Faldur
11-30-2011, 04:41 PM
I kinda wish these ppl were more organized and not just sleeping in parks. They need direction.

And a shower..

SFTB
11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Just in case you live in LA, and you were in need and the cops took an extra long time getting there, they were busy dismantling the shanty town outside city hall, and risking tetanus and tb to get it done.

hippifried
11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
I've seen all this before. Passive resistence met with draconian pacifying techniques, like the use of clubs, rubber bullits, caustic chemicals, etc.... & the sheep behind their computer terminals, sit on their asses talking smack because they're too stupid to understand why anyone would be pissed just because the greatest engine for production the world has ever seen has been captured by those who produce absolutely nothing. If all you whiney wingnuts want to be surrender monkey7s, why don't you just move to France.

ed_jaxon
11-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Obviously the authorities learned nothing from Chicago 1968 or the sit ins of the 60's.

The movement is not defined by what actually happens but by the perception of the masses as dictated to by the media.

The cities can wait them out and negotiate in bad faith while giving the appearance of trying to facilitate a solution. Daley did this in Chicago with MLK and that was considered to be King's greatest defeat.

Then again the powers that be can mace, forcibly remove and give the media just what they are looking for to stir up the masses to a clarion call to support said movement.

If I was in charge I would be identifying the leaders and negotiating with them while providing services. Police would never be in those silly assed storm trooper get ups and I would let a Chicago winter do my dirty work.

The Bull Conners of this world never learn.

SFTB
11-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I've seen all this before. Passive resistence met with draconian pacifying techniques, like the use of clubs, rubber bullits, caustic chemicals, etc.... & the sheep behind their computer terminals, sit on their asses talking smack because they're too stupid to understand why anyone would be pissed just because the greatest engine for production the world has ever seen has been captured by those who produce absolutely nothing. If all you whiney wingnuts want to be surrender monkey7s, why don't you just move to France.

And I've heard this before;
We want to achieve a new and better order of society: in this new and better society there must be neither rich nor poor; all will have to work. Not a handful of rich people, but all the working people must enjoy the fruits of their common labour.

Vladimir Lenin

Dino Velvet
11-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Hippi, God Bless You for showing love to those slobs I saw on the tube last night. What was their message? It looked more anti-police than anti-Wall Street.

Somebody needs to teach those people how to demonstrate. Didn't look like there was any rhyme or reason to anything last night. Just more corny slogans and signs that don't sound as good without bongos and tambourines. They look absolutely ridiculous. Calling them hippies now is an insult to hippies.

Tell me what this guy wants please.

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=437019&stc=1&d=1322671083

Drifter379
11-30-2011, 10:28 PM

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=437019&stc=1&d=1322671083

A hug?

BellaBellucci
11-30-2011, 10:39 PM

For Burning Man to move to L.A.? That trip is a bitch and it's to the middle of nowhere.

~BB~

needsum
11-30-2011, 11:02 PM
O wonder how many of these "protestors" are taking up the cause purely for the sake of saying they were there? By the looks of things, it doesn't look like too many people can truly define why they are even there, except to scream at the cops when there are cameras there to protect them. Click the link below to see the clip they did on the Daily SHow with John Stewart. Its unbelieveable (assuming this is real and not completely staged) that these people, who have come together in solidarity and brotherhood to create a better america, have not changed one thing about themselves in the process. Which, by the way, is exactly wherer the change needs to begin in order for shit to really happen.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-16-2011/occupy-wall-street-divided?xrs=share_copy

trish
11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Shame on the LAPD, shame on UC Davis Security and all those who applaud meeting peaceful resistance with undue force.

Police pepper spraying and arresting students at UC Davis - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmJmmnMkuEM&feature=player_embedded)

Dino Velvet
11-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Shame on the LAPD, shame on UC Davis Security and all those who applaud meeting peaceful resistance with undue force.

Police pepper spraying and arresting students at UC Davis - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmJmmnMkuEM&feature=player_embedded)

What did LAPD do? Their jobs perhaps? The UC Davis PD is on their own.

onmyknees
12-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Obviously the authorities learned nothing from Chicago 1968 or the sit ins of the 60's.

The movement is not defined by what actually happens but by the perception of the masses as dictated to by the media.

The cities can wait them out and negotiate in bad faith while giving the appearance of trying to facilitate a solution. Daley did this in Chicago with MLK and that was considered to be King's greatest defeat.

Then again the powers that be can mace, forcibly remove and give the media just what they are looking for to stir up the masses to a clarion call to support said movement.

If I was in charge I would be identifying the leaders and negotiating with them while providing services. Police would never be in those silly assed storm trooper get ups and I would let a Chicago winter do my dirty work.

The Bull Conners of this world never learn.

Well I can't speak to LA or Chicago, but I'm assuming NY is similar . Wait them out? How about they not camp out and take up permanent residence in parks and public places, with no sanitary facilities and go home at a reasonable hour, and return the next day. That way they could protest indefinitely and not interrupt commerce and the other 99% who are not involved. What happened in NY is the more Bloomberg allowed, the more liberties the protestors took to a point where they shut down filming of 2 movies and many other activities much to the determent of local business who begged for relief for 2 months.
To compare them to Bull Connor congers up racial emotions, none of which are even a part of the protest, or the efforts to break it up, and it sounds a bit hysterical. In a country so tolerant that we now have renamed the Christmas Tree ... The Holiday Tree in an effort not to offend anyone...I think the public has been mighty tolerant of the havoc these folks have reeked on dozens of major cities.

trish
12-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Christmas Tree ... The Holiday Tree in an effort not to...be inclusive. Whose offended? Oh....you are?

onmyknees
12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
be inclusive. Whose offended? Oh....you are?

No...not me....but the Governor of Rhode Island. Maybe you were down at Zucotti Park today and haven't caught up on the day's events. It happens.

trish
12-01-2011, 12:26 AM
No...not me.I call bullshit. If anyone is offended, outraged, about ready to have a stroke over it, it's OMK.

The Governor of Rhode Island spoke in terms of religious tolerance and inclusion, you're the one whose offended.

White Wine In The Sun by Tim Minchin - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q)

onmyknees
12-01-2011, 01:01 AM
I call bullshit. If anyone is offended, outraged, about ready to have a stroke over it, it's OMK.

The Governor of Rhode Island spoke in terms of religious tolerance and inclusion, you're the one whose offended.

White Wine In The Sun by Tim Minchin - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q)

Glad to see you did a quick google and got up to speed.

That's not only hysterical....it's a misreading of the facts, which is nothing new for you. Christmas is a national Holiday, and the tree has become a symbol of that holiday. He's offended it's called a Christmas Tree..... What the fuck does religious tolerance have to do with a Tree and Santa Claus? It's not a manjer or a display of the baby Jesus...now that would be offensive.

And by the way ...can we get a grammar check on "Whose Offended" ??

ed_jaxon
12-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Question......

Are these protests or acts of civil disobedience? Not the same thing.

OMK I am not speaking to the racial aspects of the Occupy movements as I somewhat agree that the tone is decidedly not a racial issue, however the tactics that the media have publicized are similar in nature to the ones used against the civil rights movement.

One more question....

Have you heard of the Poor Peoples Campaign of the late 60's? Most haven't and there is a reason for that.

speedking59
12-01-2011, 01:10 AM
food for thought

ed_jaxon
12-01-2011, 01:19 AM
In that evocative picture I count 11 people getting maced

3 cops in riot gear

and 12 people taking pictures.

trish
12-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Who wouldn't be offended by a MANJER. Hilarious :)

SFTB
12-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Cops were in a lose lose at UC Davis. If they physically tried to evict them, they would have resisted, cried being hurt, heart attacks, etc He sprays them with pepper spray. Painful, but safe for them and the cops.

You wanna protest, get a permit, nobody's stopping you. This is America and anyone from the Black Panthers to the Klan has and will parade. You want to perform civil disobedience, then fine, but dont cry when the cops do their job.

As far as all the people applauding the occupiers clogging up city streets, if a relative died because an ambulance couldnt get through you'd hopefully be singing a different tune.

fred41
12-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Question......

Are these protests or acts of civil disobedience? Not the same thing.

Civil Disobedience is and act of protest.
...but a protest doesn't have to include civil disobedience. Generally people that use acts of civil disobedience understand that they will be arrested...often that is the point.(for instance-a group of protestors locking arms and refusing to vacate an area after being ordered to do so...is an act of civil disobedience)

...and if you struggle while the officer is trying to arrest you...you'll be charged with resisting arrest.

hippifried
12-01-2011, 04:05 AM
Hippi, God Bless You for showing love to those slobs I saw on the tube last night. What was their message? It looked more anti-police than anti-Wall Street.

Somebody needs to teach those people how to demonstrate. Didn't look like there was any rhyme or reason to anything last night. Just more corny slogans and signs that don't sound as good without bongos and tambourines. They look absolutely ridiculous. Calling them hippies now is an insult to hippies.

I don't know what that particular guy wants & I don't care because it's irrelevant. Y'all can act chikldish & bandy a bunch of lame namecalling around all you like. The message that y'all just can't seem to fathom is the same as it has been since the first day, & in every place the protests are happening. It's the same in LA, New York, Chicago, Houston, Paris, Oslo, & everywhere else in the developed world. The message is simple. The Wall Street fraud that brought the world's financial sustem to its knees just 3 years ago has never been prosecuted or even stopped. Everybody's money, property, retirement, livelyhood, & opportunities for their offspring is at risk because nothing is being produced. Nothing! It's a legit gripe, especially when you consider that there's more money in the exchanges than ever. There's a larger % of the world's wealth in the exchanges than ever. The so called "job producers" that so many wax poetic about have more money than ever. Profits are higher than ever, in both actual dollars & percentages of expendatures. What's the unemploynebnt rate again? The rhetorical Limbaugh lie, that everybody's berrer off if they can't get a raise & he doesn't have to pay taxes, ain't gonna cut it.

Corporate control of government is the definition of fascism. We've been on a fast track in that direction off & on for the last 40 years. These protests are anti-fascist. Does anybody really want to try & make the case that this is a bad thing, when your entire argument seems to be that you don't like how some of them look or what they're wearing? How's that derision thing workin'? Has it slowed down the protests?

The reason all this seems disorganized is because there's no organization. There's no cable nerwork telling everybody where to gather & when. There are no spokesmen. There's no Dick Armey or Glenn Beck to rally the troops. It's a real "grass roots" movement, coming together from the bottom up. If you aren't at lleast 40 years old or more, you've never seen this happen in the US. There's nothing to reference, & most of the talking heads in the electronic media don't know what they're looking at either. This ain't going away.

Back in the early '70s, this became the counterculture theme song:
What About Me - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUszp9QFmq4)

Dino Velvet
12-01-2011, 04:22 AM
I don't know what that particular guy wants & I don't care because it's irrelevant. Y'all can act chikldish & bandy a bunch of lame namecalling around all you like. The message that y'all just can't seem to fathom is the same as it has been since the first day, & in every place the protests are happening. It's the same in LA, New York, Chicago, Houston, Paris, Oslo, & everywhere else in the developed world. The message is simple. The Wall Street fraud that brought the world's financial sustem to its knees just 3 years ago has never been prosecuted or even stopped. Everybody's money, property, retirement, livelyhood, & opportunities for their offspring is at risk because nothing is being produced. Nothing! It's a legit gripe, especially when you consider that there's more money in the exchanges than ever. There's a larger % of the world's wealth in the exchanges than ever. The so called "job producers" that so many wax poetic about have more money than ever. Profits are higher than ever, in both actual dollars & percentages of expendatures. What's the unemploynebnt rate again? The rhetorical Limbaugh lie, that everybody's berrer off if they can't get a raise & he doesn't have to pay taxes, ain't gonna cut it.

Corporate control of government is the definition of fascism. We've been on a fast track in that direction off & on for the last 40 years. These protests are anti-fascist. Does anybody really want to try & make the case that this is a bad thing, when your entire argument seems to be that you don't like how some of them look or what they're wearing? How's that derision thing workin'? Has it slowed down the protests?

The reason all this seems disorganized is because there's no organization. There's no cable nerwork telling everybody where to gather & when. There are no spokesmen. There's no Dick Armey or Glenn Beck to rally the troops. It's a real "grass roots" movement, coming together from the bottom up. If you aren't at lleast 40 years old or more, you've never seen this happen in the US. There's nothing to reference, & most of the talking heads in the electronic media don't know what they're looking at either. This ain't going away.

Back in the early '70s, this became the counterculture theme song:
What About Me - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUszp9QFmq4)

Hippi, you and me are very different. I grew up in a Law Enforcement family and I'm sensitive to crowds obviously baiting police like you would be to some protester being thrown to the ground. The crowd I saw last night in real time on the news looked more anti-police than anti-Wall Street to me.

I'm glad I don't live close enough to Downtown LA to be able to smell it. I know it's all the rage to make fun of old people in lawn chairs at Tea Parties. At least those people shit in a diaper and not wherever they're standing at the moment.

MdR Dave
12-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Corporate control of government is the definition of fascism.

This word doesn't mean what you think it does.

ed_jaxon
12-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Funnier this way.

This word doesn't mean what you think it does.

braveheart0219
12-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Brandi Carlile - The Times They are a Changin' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmm0Q-HLS_4&feature=related)

braveheart0219
12-01-2011, 05:50 AM
"Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own".

onmyknees
12-01-2011, 06:03 AM
[QUOTE=trish;1056256]Who wouldn't be offended by a MANJER. Hilarious :)[/QUOTE

lol...yup...spelling error....fat fingered it....you're pretty adept and picking that up, but fairly light on responding to the substance, but I understand why. Things mustn't be good for you these days...You were hoping for Tea Party type lasting impact and got a Woodstock revival complete with the drugs and the garbage. If there ever was a message from these folks, it was lost somewhere in the first week between the one overflowing porta potty and the weed tent. Your guy has lower job approval than a peanut farmer, and green energy is in shambles, but there's always the occasional spelling error. "whose" laughing now? :dancing:

MdR Dave
12-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Excellent!

1500 internets to Ed Jaxon!

Funnier this way.

trish
12-01-2011, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE=trish;1056256]Who wouldn't be offended by a MANJER. Hilarious :)[/QUOTE

lol...yup...spelling error....fat fingered it.... Spelling error?? I thought you were making a joke. There's absolutely nothing wrong with spelling errors when they're combined to make the greatest post ever:

The reason all this seems disorganized is because there's no organization. There's no cable nerwork telling everybody where to gather & when. There are no spokesmen. There's no Dick Armey or Glenn Beck to rally the troops. It's a real "grass roots" movement, coming together from the bottom up. If you aren't at lleast 40 years old or more, you've never seen this happen in the US. There's nothing to reference, & most of the talking heads in the electronic media don't know what they're looking at either. This ain't going away.___Hippiefried
:claps:claps:claps:claps:claps

russtafa
12-01-2011, 07:12 AM
A hug?wasn't he in Lord of the Rings lol

Dino Velvet
12-01-2011, 07:28 AM
wasn't he in Lord of the Rings lol

Well, well, well.. My good buddy Russ. Did you see all the dingy riff-raff infesting the streets of my great city last night? Give me your unique, unfiltered Australian opinion. Don't hold back, brother.:cheers:

This character looks like he was molested by a coal miner.

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/storage/trailers/bloodyval03.jpg

runningdownthatdream
12-01-2011, 07:42 AM
And I've heard this before;
We want to achieve a new and better order of society: in this new and better society there must be neither rich nor poor; all will have to work. Not a handful of rich people, but all the working people must enjoy the fruits of their common labour.

Vladimir Lenin

Are you very wealthy or just a wage slave defending your right to be a wage slave?

hippifried
12-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Hippi, you and me are very different. I grew up in a Law Enforcement family and I'm sensitive to crowds obviously baiting police like you would be to some protester being thrown to the ground. The crowd I saw last night in real time on the news looked more anti-police than anti-Wall Street to me.

I'm glad I don't live close enough to Downtown LA to be able to smell it. I know it's all the rage to make fun of old people in lawn chairs at Tea Parties. At least those people shit in a diaper and not wherever they're standing at the moment.
We're not really that different. You're just looking at the protesters as if they're subhuman & something to be feared. They're not "the enemy". These protests are going on in every city that has a financial district, & there's been no riots started by any of them. These people aren't criminals. After what just happened up the road in the Bay area, do you really expect these folks to be all friendly smiles when an army of police show up in full riot gear with weapons drawn? They're not storm troopers & aren't supposed to be. This is actually the quickest way to start a riot. If you're really a friend of law inforcement, then you should be pissed off at the municipal powers that be for using the police as a tool (a personal army) to enforce some lame political agenda. Their job isn't to insulate politicians & other crooks. Your anger's misdirected.

russtafa
12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Well, well, well.. My good buddy Russ. Did you see all the dingy riff-raff infesting the streets of my great city last night? Give me your unique, unfiltered Australian opinion. Don't hold back, brother.:cheers:

This character looks like he was molested by a coal miner.

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/storage/trailers/bloodyval03.jpgwho let the orcs out

Dino Velvet
12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
We're not really that different. You're just looking at the protesters as if they're subhuman & something to be feared. They're not "the enemy". These protests are going on in every city that has a financial district, & there's been no riots started by any of them. These people aren't criminals. After what just happened up the road in the Bay area, do you really expect these folks to be all friendly smiles when an army of police show up in full riot gear with weapons drawn? They're not storm troopers & aren't supposed to be. This is actually the quickest way to start a riot. If you're really a friend of law inforcement, then you should be pissed off at the municipal powers that be for using the police as a tool (a personal army) to enforce some lame political agenda. Their job isn't to insulate politicians & other crooks. Your anger's misdirected.

The people I saw were nothing to be feared. I actually wish they made an effort to look respectable and have some sort of coherent message. Again, and I made it clear, I am only talking about the LA situation, not Davis, NY, or other city. These people in my city looked like idiots. Why do they have to look like that? Don't you want better for them? Most of us laugh at them when we might listen to them if they didn't decide they'd rather look like a clown.

Hippi, help your protestors. I don't hate them, fear them, or really have any concern about them. Just have them act like respectable adults so we might respect them back. Is that too much to ask?

Some of these come with instructions.

http://www.dreamstime.com/a-bar-of-soap-thumb18409883.jpg

russtafa
12-01-2011, 11:48 PM
:hide-1:we got the same freaks here mate ,people avoid them like the plague

Dino Velvet
12-02-2011, 06:32 AM
:hide-1:we got the same freaks here mate ,people avoid them like the plague

Your flies from the Outback are coming this way for some tastier vittles and shittles.

http://thepeoplescube.com/red/gallery/infidel-castrate-a74/fleabagger-i3084.jpg

Flies in the Outback - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9iJ5a6HfGQ)

russtafa
12-02-2011, 07:35 AM
those flies will drive you insane

russtafa
12-02-2011, 07:41 AM
anybody tries to invade Aussie has to put up with the flies ,ants,cockroaches ,spiders,abo's,mossies and other pests

Dino Velvet
12-02-2011, 07:42 AM
anybody tries to invade Aussie has to put up with the flies ,ants,cockroaches ,spiders,abo's,mossies and other pests

You forgot Lebos this time. What's mossies?

russtafa
12-02-2011, 07:47 AM
mosquitoes mate and they can give you Ross river fever

muh_muh
12-02-2011, 08:23 PM
why would anyone want to invade australia? being as far away from britain as you could possibly be isnt the only reason why they only sent felons there
Deadly Animals (Come to Australia) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_TB6onHVE)

Nivek
12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
For Burning Man to move to L.A.? That trip is a bitch and it's to the middle of nowhere.

~BB~

I was thinking to try out as Gwars new guitarist.

ShylaWild
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Natural Resources....something many countries have used up.

why would anyone want to invade australia? being as far away from britain as you could possibly be isnt the only reason why they only sent felons there
Deadly Animals (Come to Australia) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_TB6onHVE)

Brittany St Jordan
12-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I was thinking to try out as Gwars new guitarist.

I can take a lot of crap on these threads but please don't insult the good name of GWAR by associating this jackass with them. This is the kind of asshat that Oderous would use as a space worm's tampon.

GWAR - "Let Us Slay" Metal Blade Records - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZQYZZtAHk)

needsum
12-07-2011, 09:58 PM
let this be a better example of why the cops do what they do. No media edits here.... it shows exactly why the UC Davis cops did what they did. This goes beyond protest and shows how these kids created this mess for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhPdH3wE0_Y (http://<a href="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhPdH3wE0_Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhPdH3wE0_Y</a>)

Brittany St Jordan
12-07-2011, 10:50 PM
let this be a better example of why the cops do what they do. No media edits here.... it shows exactly why the UC Davis cops did what they did. This goes beyond protest and shows how these kids created this mess for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhPdH3wE0_Y (http://<a href="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhPdH3wE0_Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhPdH3wE0_Y</a>)

It is always interesting to see the entire truth to every story. Something told me that Office Dickhead didn't go willy nilly with pepper spray on a bunch of kids for no reason.

No matter what side of the situation I am on BS propaganda is still BS and these kids are lucky all they got was sprayed. Once they started shouting "Fuck the Police" it could have been seen as a escalation of force and police would be within the right, given the were being barricaded in, to use physical force at that time.

Fucking kids.....

needsum
12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
It is always interesting to see the entire truth to every story. Something told me that Office Dickhead didn't go willy nilly with pepper spray on a bunch of kids for no reason.

No matter what side of the situation I am on BS propaganda is still BS and these kids are lucky all they got was sprayed. Once they started shouting "Fuck the Police" it could have been seen as a escalation of force and police would be within the right, given the were being barricaded in, to use physical force at that time.

Fucking kids.....

they are, and have been, their own worst enemy in all of this....

needsum
12-07-2011, 10:59 PM
THis is also a great one for showing how ridiculous these OWS movements are. All these people "banning together" for a commomn cause... seems to me the people need to check themselves first before trying to fix anything......

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-16-2011/occupy-wall-street-divided

trish
12-07-2011, 11:57 PM
FUCK THE POLICE is 15 characters long (including the spaces), not 15 kilogram meters per second squared. It's speech, not force.

Brittany St Jordan
12-08-2011, 12:17 AM
FUCK THE POLICE is 15 characters long (including the spaces), not 15 kilogram meters per second squared. It's speech, not force.

When you physically barricade the police, who were leaving, and shout obscenities it is no longer free speech. This is now aggression as they are "physically" keeping the police barricaded and not allowing them to leave and "verbally" shouting obscenities. In this particular instance these kids went beyond free speech and should be glad they got pepper sprayed and not tasered or shot with rubber bullets.

Oh, and "if" police would have attempted to pick them and arrest them they surely would resisted arrest and ended up being injured. Then they would be crying about police brutality. Being that they instigated this entire scenario, pepper spray was the most effective and least traumatizing way to remedy the situation.

Yes, cops can be dicks. Yes, people have rights. But in this one case, not any others, the people involved instigated, harassed, barricaded the cops and ignored every warning before any action as taken against them. The cops were doing their job and the fact that all they did was use pepper spray as final solution shows they did their job correctly.

Not a single bullet, paintball, beanbag or taser was used. Nobody was beaten by the cops. They were clear and concise on what laws were being broken and what was going to happen to people involved if they did not leave.

If we don't like the laws in this country we do have the option of running for office and changing them. Otherwise we either follow them or learn how to not get caught breaking them. These people broke them and got what they, at the very least, deserved.

onmyknees
12-08-2011, 12:22 AM
It's gettin' kinda cold here in the east, so most of the Occupy folks have been run off, or left on their own, but Fox News snapped a pic of this hearty lone remaining protestor last night. His tent and his dope stripped away by the NYPD, his coat stolen by his homeless friends, but he is the face of the OWS movement.

Brittany St Jordan
12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
It's gettin' kinda cold here in the east, so most of the Occupy folks have been run off, or left on their own, but Fox News snapped a pic of this hearty lone remaining protestor last night. His tent and his dope stripped away by the NYPD, his coat stolen by his homeless friends, but he is the face of the OWS movement.

It is 60 degrees here in LA and I am bitching about it being cold lol

onmyknees
12-08-2011, 12:39 AM
When you physically barricade the police, who were leaving, and shout obscenities it is no longer free speech. This is now aggression as they are "physically" keeping the police barricaded and not allowing them to leave and "verbally" shouting obscenities. In this particular instance these kids went beyond free speech and should be glad they got pepper sprayed and not tasered or shot with rubber bullets.

Oh, and "if" police would have attempted to pick them and arrest them they surely would resisted arrest and ended up being injured. Then they would be crying about police brutality. Being that they instigated this entire scenario, pepper spray was the most effective and least traumatizing way to remedy the situation.

Yes, cops can be dicks. Yes, people have rights. But in this one case, not any others, the people involved instigated, harassed, barricaded the cops and ignored every warning before any action as taken against them. The cops were doing their job and the fact that all they did was use pepper spray as final solution shows they did their job correctly.

Not a single bullet, paintball, beanbag or taser was used. Nobody was beaten by the cops. They were clear and concise on what laws were being broken and what was going to happen to people involved if they did not leave.

If we don't like the laws in this country we do have the option of running for office and changing them. Otherwise we either follow them or learn how to not get caught breaking them. These people broke them and got what they, at the very least, deserved.

Eloquently put.

Look all of us who have a beef with the government and/or lived through the torrid, unsettling 60's have to some extent a kinship with the Occupy Folks right to protest, but this quickly became something else.

I saw the tape of these folks being sprayed on TV...then went about finding the unedited version. ( that you'd never see on the evening News) I saw the cop who did the spraying come over to one of the protestors he perceived to be in charge. He placed his hand on his shoulder, and calmly explained they had to move, and that it was too difficult for the cops to move them......... and if they refused...they'd be sprayed. There was no shouting or disrespect. The protestor just as calmly told the cop "That's fine....do what you need to do...we're fine with it". They got exactly what they asked for. Nothing more. There shouldn't be any hysteria.

Brittany St Jordan
12-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Eloquently put.

Look all of us who have a beef with the government and/or lived through the torrid, unsettling 60's have to some extent a kinship with the Occupy Folks right to protest, but this quickly became something else.

I saw the tape of these folks being sprayed on TV...then went about finding the unedited version. ( that you'd never see on the evening News) I saw the cop who did the spraying come over to one of the protestors he perceived to be in charge. He placed his hand on his shoulder, and calmly explained they had to move, and that it was too difficult for the cops to move them......... and if they refused...they'd be sprayed. There was no shouting or disrespect. The protestor just as calmly told the cop "That's fine....do what you need to do...we're fine with it". They got exactly what they asked for. Nothing more. There shouldn't be any hysteria.

Authentic continuous video of an entire situation does not lie.

trish
12-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Sorry, but 15 characters does not a force make, no matter how eloquently you put the counterargument. All I'm saying is that shouting obscenities or cooing sweet nothings should add no weight in the decision to use force or not to use force.

Of course an option that a grass roots movement always has is to have a tea party. It scares the hell out the powers that be and can be quite effective.

Brittany St Jordan
12-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Sorry, but 15 characters does not a force make, no matter how eloquently you put the counterargument. All I'm saying is that shouting obscenities or cooing sweet nothings should add no weight in the decision to use force or not to use force.

Of course an option that a grass roots movement always has is to have a tea party. It scares the hell out the powers that be and can be quite effective.

Did you watch the video? It wasn't "just" shouting "Fuck the Police" that escalated the situation. It was the fact that the cops had people detained and were being forced by a mob to to either let them go or they weren't going to allow the cops to to leave.

The cops even politely told the kids if they did not move when the squad car showed up they would be sprayed. There is always time for civil disobedience but if people are going to break the law then they don't need to bitch when the law does what is within their right to do to alleviate the situation.

In this instance the cops showed more tolerance and patience than most police. It isn't like the asshat in NYC spraying walking up out of nowhere and spraying a random crowd. They told the kids over and over that they were going to get sprayed.

People hate the cops...until they need them. It was deemed that bullets were dangerous so they gave them tasers. That was said to be too cruel so they have rubber bullets and pepper spray. What next? Do we give them a whistle and have them shout"Hey you stop beating that person with a baseball bat!"

It's pepper spray and it sucks but it wears off. It isn't like any of these kids are going to need a blood transfusion or urgent medical care for the rest of their life. They got nothing worse than if you rubbed your eyes after chopping up hot peppers.

The bankers and greedy fucks who raped this country did it the right way. They did it in backroom deals and got it put into law. No signs, no drum circles and nobody resisting arrest. If you are going to thwart an entire system of government you do not do it on the six o'clock news.

russtafa
12-08-2011, 02:33 AM
i would have cooed sweet nothings with a night stick on their uni asses

Anubis1779
12-08-2011, 03:20 AM
http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=437018&stc=1&d=1322671083 http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=437019&stc=1&d=1322671083

I was thinking Mad Max, or any number of post-apocalyptic movies from the 80's-90's

trish
12-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Did you watch the video? It wasn't "just" shouting "Fuck the Police" that escalated the situation.Didn't say it was...you said it should've been sufficient [more accurately your claim is that it is legitimate to factor speech into the decision to apply force]. I'm claiming it's not [legitimate].

But yes I did see the video. Classic non-violent resistent, met by classic force. I’m rather proud of those students. The FUCK THE POLICE chant lasts less than half a minute before the students themselves put a stop to it, shouting YOU USE FORCE WE USE OUR VOICE. Though the campus police were stupid enough to let the crowd slowly encircle them, the police were at no time in danger, and judging from their composure, they never thought they were in danger. The crowd, as admitted by the commentator, had no intention to even circle the police or endanger them. At the finish the protesters shout YOU CAN LEAVE and the police shamefully back away. It’s actually a pretty awesome moment. Notice too how the commentator twists the narration to suit his political agenda. But even the warped commentary cannot diminish the moral force of the occupiers nor diminish the power of this video for their cause.

Of course civil disobedience means breaking the the law and bitching. Without the bitching, there's no point. The fact that some people are annoyed by the bitching (especially people in comfort and in power) simply demonstrates the effectiveness of the protest.

An officer never knows ahead of time the medical conditions of the people he's going to pepper spray, taze or shoot with rubber bullets. If the police use violence against peaceful protesters (no matter how illegal the protest) and people are seriously injured, permanently injured or die, then the police can expect to be held responsible for the consequences of their actions...even if being held responsible only means they have to be aware that a segment of the population is bitching about their use of undue force.

onmyknees
12-08-2011, 04:26 AM
"Two months ago, there was hope that the Occupy Wall Street movement and its offshoots could be the start of political counterweight to the Tea Party. But that never happened, and any last chance of it ended when New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg closed the encampment in lower Manhattan.
There was hope of that, even I thought so. But the problems were organic to the movement. They refused to grow a brain And though they may be back in the Spring in greater numbers, the same problems will continue because the idea itself is deeply flawed. More occupation will only give the people, the real 99%, time to see it.

Nationwide, the movement lost its idealistic roots amid reports of accidental deaths, drug overdoses and scattered violence. In Washington over the weekend, 31 demonstrators in McPherson Square, a previously peaceful encampment, were arrested in a standoff with police."

Not me, Not Fox News, but normally knee jerk liberal Washington Post columnist and Occupy Supporter, Dana Millbank. When you lose Millbank, it might be time to re-evaluate your strategy.

trish
12-08-2011, 04:59 AM
But that never happened, and any last chance of it ended when New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg closed the encampment in lower Manhattan.Not so. Occupy Our Homes takes the movement to the next level, occupying homes that banks threaten with foreclosure. Everyone who has mortgage can and does empathize with people who are about to lose their homes to the very institution that caused the economic collapse and profited by it.

It is the Tea Baggers who lost the momentum over the last months when their obstructionism and threatened refusal to pay our debts caused our credit rating to be downgraded.

onmyknees
12-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Not so. Occupy Our Homes takes the movement to the next level, occupying homes that banks threaten with foreclosure. Everyone who has mortgage can and does empathize with people who are about to lose their homes to the very institution that caused the economic collapse and profited by it.

It is the Tea Baggers who lost the momentum over the last months when their obstructionism and threatened refusal to pay our debts caused our credit rating to be downgraded.

That's hysterical....you talk about the tea party losing momentum, and Occupy came and went in 2 months time? You've completely separated yourself from reality. You're too emotionally invested...Here's a couple of those dirt bags you're so proud of sharing a tender moment at the time of arrest in DC. The look on the cops face pretty much sums up how most of the public has come to view Occupy.

fred41
12-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Interesting...thanks for the YouTube link Needsum. I haven't seen that before.

russtafa
12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
That's hysterical....you talk about the tea party losing momentum, and Occupy came and went in 2 months time? You've completely separated yourself from reality. You're too emotionally invested...Here's a couple of those dirt bags you're so proud of sharing a tender moment at the time of arrest in DC. The look on the cops face pretty much sums up how most of the public has come to view Occupy.
that':heartbroken:s feral love aaaaaaw

Dino Velvet
12-08-2011, 07:31 AM
If they marry one day I hope the state can work out the conjugals.

russtafa
12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
If they marry one day I hope the state can work out the conjugals.Dept of sanitation?

Brittany St Jordan
12-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Everyone has to have something to stand for. I won't say I totally disagree with some of the ideas they are itching about. Our financial system and corporate control of government is fucking ridiculous. The thing that people don't realize in this country is IF you really want to make every banker and stock broker shit themselves don't use the dollar as legal tender any longer.

The dollar is produced by a private entity and is recognized by the government as legal tender. However, if every pissed off person who this country has fucked over devised a system of currency and no longer accepted the dollar that would all change real fucking quick.

Every international monetary institution would collectively shit itself as they watch every cent of our debt owed t them disappear in a single heartbeat. The best part would be the currency would once again be based on gold and silver. There are enough people that could easily exchange their old jewelry to take part in using the currency.

We start paying bills and buying goods and spreading it around. It wouldn't take long to catch on and soon everyone who want to tell the Government to fuck off would be right on track with it. And then to really stick the dick in nice and deep, anyone who recognizes the dollar as legal tender must trade in their failed money for 1/4 of a cent on the dollar.

All of the gold and silver would contained and controlled by a body of five people who know where it is located and how much is there. It is there for the people to back up their currency and at no time can it every be sold or traded. It can only be added to in order to produce more currency.

You want to watch a failed system fall to its knees? Here is the way to do it.

russtafa
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Everyone has to have something to stand for. I won't say I totally disagree with some of the ideas they are itching about. Our financial system and corporate control of government is fucking ridiculous. The thing that people don't realize in this country is IF you really want to make every banker and stock broker shit themselves don't use the dollar as legal tender any longer.

The dollar is produced by a private entity and is recognized by the government as legal tender. However, if every pissed off person who this country has fucked over devised a system of currency and no longer accepted the dollar that would all change real fucking quick.

Every international monetary institution would collectively shit itself as they watch every cent of our debt owed t them disappear in a single heartbeat. The best part would be the currency would once again be based on gold and silver. There are enough people that could easily exchange their old jewelry to take part in using the currency.

We start paying bills and buying goods and spreading it around. It wouldn't take long to catch on and soon everyone who want to tell the Government to fuck off would be right on track with it. And then to really stick the dick in nice and deep, anyone who recognizes the dollar as legal tender must trade in their failed money for 1/4 of a cent on the dollar.

All of the gold and silver would contained and controlled by a body of five people who know where it is located and how much is there. It is there for the people to back up their currency and at no time can it every be sold or traded. It can only be added to in order to produce more currency.

You want to watch a failed system fall to its knees? Here is the way to do it.that sounds very sensible

MdR Dave
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Brittany, the whole reason we use fiat money ( and it didn't start in the US) is because using precious metal isn't feasible. Hard to make sure it's real during a transaction, hard to make change, and there isn't enough in the whole world to cover a day's worth of global commerce.

It has to be "book entry" at some point.

Our currency is jacked, yes. But using shiny rocks would be worse.

trish
12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh yes, gimme gimme...shiny shiny rocks :)
Great post MdR Dave.

BellaBellucci
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Brittany, the whole reason we use fiat money ( and it didn't start in the US) is because using precious metal isn't feasible. Hard to make sure it's real during a transaction, hard to make change, and there isn't enough in the whole world to cover a day's worth of global commerce.

It has to be "book entry" at some point.

Our currency is jacked, yes. But using shiny rocks would be worse.

I'm a fan of the gold standard, but not exclusively. Precious metals can (and should) provide a bedrock for our current fiat standard if nothing else is possible.

As to what Brittany said about not using the dollar, I find her view shortsighted. If we stop using the dollar, it probably wouldn't force us back onto gold, but instead move us towards an unfriendly foreign currency, i.e. the Chinese Yuan. Certainly, it wouldn't happen right away, but Beijing tends not to take its eyes off the ball and it could definitely happen eventually.

Keep in mind too, that English is the language of business, but it doesn't necessarily need to be. So... how's your Mandarin everyone? :lol:

~BB~

trish
12-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Human's used to barter goods and services for goods and services. Shiny rocks are a bookkeeping device that simplifies the bartering; i.e. they are tokens for goods and services. There is no need for the tokens to have any intrinsic worth; zeros and ones on a hard drive would work just fine. The standard that backs our money is the goods and services behind the tokens; you know the stuff that workers produce.

If tokens are to be used in trade it is important that they are difficult to counterfeit. Tokens made of rare materials make counterfeiting impractical, which is why stamped rare metals were the first tokens. But as MdR Dave points out, there's not a enough rare metals on Earth to cover the volume of trade on this planet. Besides, there are better ways of guarding against counterfeiting.

needsum
12-08-2011, 10:30 PM

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Perfecto....

To me, this whole OWS movement has tuned into a bit of a joke. I'm not against the main point of the protesting--I think Wall Street needs to answer for its actions, as does the entire US government of the last 50 or so years. However, hosting a multi-city simultaneous "Lollapalooza" festival isn't going to cut it. Look at these kids who are going there. Some of the pictures posted here suggest the mainstay of the OWS gatherer. How does anybody expect to be taken serioulsy when they look like that? Come on.

And the students are acting like its Kent State all over again. This Brittany quote could not be more truthful and spot-on. Whats happening here is that the focus has now turned to the cops, making them out to be the bad guys, because Wall Street isn't budging. Emotions are being used as bartering chips. Not facts. The OWS realize nothing is happening so they think they have to stir it up in any way then can for the attention it brings them. Trish, I'm sorry. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the rights of people to hold peaceful protest (and I fully support that right) but the facts are what they are, and in this case those cops were justified to do exactly what they did. Video proven fact. They acted well within the law, with a great amount of patience for the situation at hand, and should be commended for not letting things escalate to a worse situation.

These kids needed this to happen so they could realize that a mass temper tantrum is not going to be satiated "just because." life in the real world hurts, and every now and again people need to be reminded that although this is the land of the free, we aren't free to do whatever the fuck we want, when we want, where we want, and to whom we want.

BellaBellucci
12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
To me, this whole OWS movement has tuned into a bit of a joke. I'm not against the main point of the protesting--I think Wall Street needs to answer for its actions, as does the entire US government of the last 50 or so years. However, hosting a multi-city simultaneous "Lollapalooza" festival isn't going to cut it. Look at these kids who are going there. Some of the pictures posted here suggest the mainstay of the OWS gatherer. How does anybody expect to be taken serioulsy when they look like that? Come on.

Thank you Dr. Farnsworth. :rolleyes:

Futurama Hippie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DI5Z_6gWVY)

~BB~

needsum
12-08-2011, 10:57 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA BELLA!!! that was fucking awesome!

Brittany St Jordan
12-09-2011, 03:47 AM
We could always just trade with oral sex

BellaBellucci
12-09-2011, 03:50 AM
We could always just trade with oral sex

*ponder* I wonder if my candidate (Ron Paul for those of you not paying attention :lol:) supports converting to the oral sex standard. :?

~BB~

Erika1487
12-09-2011, 04:00 AM
*ponder* I wonder if my candidate (Ron Paul for those of you not paying attention :lol:) supports converting to the oral sex standard. :?

~BB~

I thought Sasha Baron Cohen already tried ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7RnlPQCKBQ&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL64BF1B6F19710742

trish
12-09-2011, 04:37 AM
Oral sex, hmmm? Works for me.

russtafa
12-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Oral sex, hmmm? Works for me.
Dino would be around in a flash to see you

Ben
12-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Occupy L.A. (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/occupy-la/)

Patrick Meighan, 'Family Guy' Writer, Recalls LAPD Raid of Occupy Camp as 'Super Violent'

By Simone Wilson (http://blogs.laweekly.com/author.php?author_id=2319) Wed., Dec. 7 2011

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/assets_c/2011/12/patrick%20meighan-thumb-200x133.jpg (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/patrick%20meighan.jpg)

It's been almost one week since the Los Angeles Police Department deployed about 1,400 officers to infiltrate and bulldoze the Occupy L.A. encampment (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/11/occupy_la_raid_lapd.php) outside City Hall. In that week, as the nearly 300 protesters arrested in the wee hours have trickled out of jail (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_19_charged_arrested.php) and back to their laptops, we've heard multiple accounts (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/tyson_heder_lapd_occupy.php) of alleged LAPD brutality during the raid. And, more so, after the raid, once TV cameras had moved on to other morning news.
The latest account, as blogged by semi-celebrity Patrick Meighan (http://myoccupylaarrest.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-occupy-la-arrest-by-patrick-meighan.html?spref=tw), is one of the most disturbing.
We'd previously heard from Tyson Heder (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/tyson_heder_lapd_occupy.php), a photographer who was mauled (on video) by riot cops, and Yasha Levine (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/yasha_levine_occupy_la_arrest_koch_brothers_tea_pa rty.php), Soviet "exile" and indie journalist who called the LAPD's behavior worse than anything he's seen abroad.
But Meighan, a comedy writer who has contributed (http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Patrick_Meighan) to smash hits like "Family Guy" and "Titus," is the first arrestee we can really call a public figure -- he even has a wikipedia page. (For better or worse, that star factor might draw more attention to his story than, say, the account recently submitted to LA Weekly (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_arrested_matt_kresling.php) by average dude Matt Kresling. Though we highly recommend you check his out, too.)
Meighan's story begins with an explanation for the "30 tons of debris (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/occupy-la-30-tons-of-debris-left-behind-at-city-hall-tent-city.html)" that city officials were complaining would cost a fortune to clean up, on the groggy morning after. As we suspected, the heap wasn't all garbage and feces, as the naysayers made it out to be.
Instead, it was an LAPD-mashed pile of occupiers' oft-costly belongings -- ones they certainly would have rather cleaned up themselves, in pre-mashed condition.
"As we sat there, encircled, a separate team of LAPD officers used knives to slice open every personal tent in the park. They forcibly removed anyone sleeping inside, and then yanked out and destroyed any personal property inside those tents, scattering the contents across the park. They then did the same with the communal property of the Occupy LA movement. For example, I watched as the LAPD destroyed a pop-up canopy tent that, until that moment, had been serving as Occupy LA's First Aid and Wellness tent, in which volunteer health professionals gave free medical care to absolutely anyone who requested it. As it happens, my family had personally contributed that exact canopy tent to Occupy LA, at a cost of several hundred of my family's dollars. As I watched, the LAPD sliced that canopy tent to shreds, broke the telescoping poles into pieces and scattered the detritus across the park. Note that these were the objects described in subsequent mainstream press reports as "30 tons of garbage" that was "abandoned" by Occupy LA: personal property forcibly stolen from us, destroyed in front of our eyes and then left for maintenance workers to dispose of while we were sent to prison."Meighan then echoes another common claim in the wake of last Wednesday's raid: that once the police barricade was formed, some protesters who wanted to leave the camp -- de-unlawfully assemble, essentially -- weren't allowed to do so. Thus wasting more city resources on hauling an unprecedented number of peaceful protesters back to the station (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_release_jail_protest.php), instead of the bare minimum.

"When the LAPD finally began arresting those of us interlocked around the symbolic tent, we were all ordered by the LAPD to unlink from each other (in order to facilitate the arrests). Each seated, nonviolent protester beside me who refused to cooperate by unlinking his arms had the following done to him: an LAPD officer would forcibly extend the protestor's legs, grab his left foot, twist it all the way around and then stomp his boot on the insole, pinning the protestor's left foot to the pavement, twisted backwards. Then the LAPD officer would grab the protestor's right foot and twist it all the way the other direction until the non-violent protestor, in incredible agony, would shriek in pain and unlink from his neighbor. It was horrible to watch, and apparently designed to terrorize the rest of us. At least I was sufficiently terrorized. I unlinked my arms voluntarily and informed the LAPD officers that I would go peacefully and cooperatively. I stood as instructed, and then I had my arms wrenched behind my back, and an officer hyperextended my wrists into my inner arms. It was super violent, it hurt really really bad, and he was doing it on purpose. When I involuntarily recoiled from the pain, the LAPD officer threw me face-first to the pavement. He had my hands behind my back, so I landed right on my face. The officer dropped with his knee on my back and ground my face into the pavement. It really, really hurt and my face started bleeding and I was very scared. I begged for mercy and I promised that I was honestly not resisting and would not resist."

And finally, like many other protesters have alleged, Meighan says he suffered nerve damage from extraordinarily tight handcuffs, and wasn't allowed access to bathrooms (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_abuse_lapd_allegations.php) or other amenities.

"My hands were then zipcuffed very tightly behind my back, where they turned blue. I am now suffering nerve damage in my right thumb and palm. I was put on a paddywagon with other nonviolent protestors and taken to a parking garage in Parker Center. They forced us to kneel on the hard pavement of that parking garage for seven straight hours with our hands still tightly zipcuffed behind our backs. Some began to pass out. One man rolled to the ground and vomited for a long, long time before falling unconscious. The LAPD officers watched and did nothing."

The comedy writer then cleverly uses the second half of his post (http://myoccupylaarrest.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-occupy-la-arrest-by-patrick-meighan.html?spref=tw) to address his real concern: Why haven't 1-percenters who've committed far worse crimes on humanity been subjected to similar treatment?
Good question.
And for the record, the LAPD has denied all allegations of violence last Wednesday night -- instead focusing on the miraculous "show of restraint" on both sides. At least one high-profile protester begs to differ. You can lock out the media (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/11/occupy_la_eviction_lapd_pool_media.php), but you can't stop insiders from storming the Internet.

trish
12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/opinion/krugman-all-the-gops-gekkos.html

Faldur
12-10-2011, 01:02 AM
I think we should ask them to stay, they're good for business. Stock gains since the OWS = 491 points.

http://www.topstockpicks.com/sites/default/files/user-5/occupy-wall-street_0.jpg

BellaBellucci
12-10-2011, 01:19 AM
http://www.topstockpicks.com/sites/default/files/user-5/occupy-wall-street_0.jpg

BULLSHIT ALERT!

That's not fair. You can't equate the entire world economy to a GI Joe toy. Geez. :rolleyes:

~BB~

BluegrassCat
12-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Occupy L.A. (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/occupy-la/)

Patrick Meighan, 'Family Guy' Writer, Recalls LAPD Raid of Occupy Camp as 'Super Violent'

By Simone Wilson (http://blogs.laweekly.com/author.php?author_id=2319) Wed., Dec. 7 2011

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/assets_c/2011/12/patrick%20meighan-thumb-200x133.jpg (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/patrick%20meighan.jpg)

It's been almost one week since the Los Angeles Police Department deployed about 1,400 officers to infiltrate and bulldoze the Occupy L.A. encampment (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/11/occupy_la_raid_lapd.php) outside City Hall. In that week, as the nearly 300 protesters arrested in the wee hours have trickled out of jail (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_19_charged_arrested.php) and back to their laptops, we've heard multiple accounts (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/tyson_heder_lapd_occupy.php) of alleged LAPD brutality during the raid. And, more so, after the raid, once TV cameras had moved on to other morning news.
The latest account, as blogged by semi-celebrity Patrick Meighan (http://myoccupylaarrest.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-occupy-la-arrest-by-patrick-meighan.html?spref=tw), is one of the most disturbing.
We'd previously heard from Tyson Heder (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/tyson_heder_lapd_occupy.php), a photographer who was mauled (on video) by riot cops, and Yasha Levine (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/yasha_levine_occupy_la_arrest_koch_brothers_tea_pa rty.php), Soviet "exile" and indie journalist who called the LAPD's behavior worse than anything he's seen abroad.
But Meighan, a comedy writer who has contributed (http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Patrick_Meighan) to smash hits like "Family Guy" and "Titus," is the first arrestee we can really call a public figure -- he even has a wikipedia page. (For better or worse, that star factor might draw more attention to his story than, say, the account recently submitted to LA Weekly (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_arrested_matt_kresling.php) by average dude Matt Kresling. Though we highly recommend you check his out, too.)
Meighan's story begins with an explanation for the "30 tons of debris (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/occupy-la-30-tons-of-debris-left-behind-at-city-hall-tent-city.html)" that city officials were complaining would cost a fortune to clean up, on the groggy morning after. As we suspected, the heap wasn't all garbage and feces, as the naysayers made it out to be.
Instead, it was an LAPD-mashed pile of occupiers' oft-costly belongings -- ones they certainly would have rather cleaned up themselves, in pre-mashed condition.
"As we sat there, encircled, a separate team of LAPD officers used knives to slice open every personal tent in the park. They forcibly removed anyone sleeping inside, and then yanked out and destroyed any personal property inside those tents, scattering the contents across the park. They then did the same with the communal property of the Occupy LA movement. For example, I watched as the LAPD destroyed a pop-up canopy tent that, until that moment, had been serving as Occupy LA's First Aid and Wellness tent, in which volunteer health professionals gave free medical care to absolutely anyone who requested it. As it happens, my family had personally contributed that exact canopy tent to Occupy LA, at a cost of several hundred of my family's dollars. As I watched, the LAPD sliced that canopy tent to shreds, broke the telescoping poles into pieces and scattered the detritus across the park. Note that these were the objects described in subsequent mainstream press reports as "30 tons of garbage" that was "abandoned" by Occupy LA: personal property forcibly stolen from us, destroyed in front of our eyes and then left for maintenance workers to dispose of while we were sent to prison."Meighan then echoes another common claim in the wake of last Wednesday's raid: that once the police barricade was formed, some protesters who wanted to leave the camp -- de-unlawfully assemble, essentially -- weren't allowed to do so. Thus wasting more city resources on hauling an unprecedented number of peaceful protesters back to the station (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_release_jail_protest.php), instead of the bare minimum.

"When the LAPD finally began arresting those of us interlocked around the symbolic tent, we were all ordered by the LAPD to unlink from each other (in order to facilitate the arrests). Each seated, nonviolent protester beside me who refused to cooperate by unlinking his arms had the following done to him: an LAPD officer would forcibly extend the protestor's legs, grab his left foot, twist it all the way around and then stomp his boot on the insole, pinning the protestor's left foot to the pavement, twisted backwards. Then the LAPD officer would grab the protestor's right foot and twist it all the way the other direction until the non-violent protestor, in incredible agony, would shriek in pain and unlink from his neighbor. It was horrible to watch, and apparently designed to terrorize the rest of us. At least I was sufficiently terrorized. I unlinked my arms voluntarily and informed the LAPD officers that I would go peacefully and cooperatively. I stood as instructed, and then I had my arms wrenched behind my back, and an officer hyperextended my wrists into my inner arms. It was super violent, it hurt really really bad, and he was doing it on purpose. When I involuntarily recoiled from the pain, the LAPD officer threw me face-first to the pavement. He had my hands behind my back, so I landed right on my face. The officer dropped with his knee on my back and ground my face into the pavement. It really, really hurt and my face started bleeding and I was very scared. I begged for mercy and I promised that I was honestly not resisting and would not resist."

And finally, like many other protesters have alleged, Meighan says he suffered nerve damage from extraordinarily tight handcuffs, and wasn't allowed access to bathrooms (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/occupy_la_abuse_lapd_allegations.php) or other amenities.

"My hands were then zipcuffed very tightly behind my back, where they turned blue. I am now suffering nerve damage in my right thumb and palm. I was put on a paddywagon with other nonviolent protestors and taken to a parking garage in Parker Center. They forced us to kneel on the hard pavement of that parking garage for seven straight hours with our hands still tightly zipcuffed behind our backs. Some began to pass out. One man rolled to the ground and vomited for a long, long time before falling unconscious. The LAPD officers watched and did nothing."

The comedy writer then cleverly uses the second half of his post (http://myoccupylaarrest.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-occupy-la-arrest-by-patrick-meighan.html?spref=tw) to address his real concern: Why haven't 1-percenters who've committed far worse crimes on humanity been subjected to similar treatment?
Good question.
And for the record, the LAPD has denied all allegations of violence last Wednesday night -- instead focusing on the miraculous "show of restraint" on both sides. At least one high-profile protester begs to differ. You can lock out the media (http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/11/occupy_la_eviction_lapd_pool_media.php), but you can't stop insiders from storming the Internet.

Goddamn, that's fucking disgusting behavior by the LAPD. Another hideous trophy in their hall of shame. People who cheer this: what the fuck is wrong with you, honestly?

Ben
12-10-2011, 01:58 AM
BULLSHIT ALERT!

That's not fair. You can't equate the entire world economy to a GI Joe toy. Geez. :rolleyes:

~BB~

Adam Carolla Occupy Wall Street Rant (Breakdown) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ny9l57aRU&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&feature=plcp)

BellaBellucci
12-10-2011, 02:10 AM
Adam Carolla Occupy Wall Street Rant (Breakdown) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ny9l57aRU&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&feature=plcp)

Adam Carolla. Isn't he the guy who used to make Dr. Drew sound intelligent by comparison? :P

~BB~

fred41
12-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Gee...thank you for that guys, because I couldn't possibly form an opinion on Adam Carolla's rant without an explanation by Cenk Uygur...perhaps we could invite him to the forum.

onmyknees
12-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Adam Carolla. Isn't he the guy who used to make Dr. Drew sound intelligent by comparison? :P

~BB~

Don't know about that....I do know each had a role on that show, and more times than not, he certainly made more sense than his co-host, and at least provided some levity.

russtafa
12-10-2011, 05:48 AM
wish we had L.A.P.D instead of our mamby pamby police force

Dino Velvet
12-10-2011, 06:08 AM
wish we had L.A.P.D instead of our mamby pamby police force

I'm willing to give you Charlie Beck but the real cops stay here.

Hail To The Chef!

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/le/thanksgiving_mission_231111/chief-charlie-beck-75th-anniversary-of-the_5759511.jpg

russtafa
12-10-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm willing to give you Charlie Beck but the real cops stay here.

Hail To The Chef!

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/le/thanksgiving_mission_231111/chief-charlie-beck-75th-anniversary-of-the_5759511.jpg
our cops are so girly they are glorified social workers

Dino Velvet
12-10-2011, 07:09 AM
our cops are so girly they are glorified social workers

Not like in Mad Max?

russtafa
12-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Not like in Mad Max?
far from it more like Mary Poppins

Brittany St Jordan
12-11-2011, 01:22 AM
far from it more like Mary Poppins

Singing chimney sweeps and all? Oh hell, I want to visit just to see that ;)

russtafa
12-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Singing chimney sweeps and all? Oh hell, I want to visit just to see that ;)
Australia= not much law or order ,and no fear of the police by our criminal class

Ben
12-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Australia= not much law or order ,and no fear of the police by our criminal class

Speaking of the criminal class....

Ben
12-11-2011, 04:26 AM
More of the criminal class....

Ben
12-11-2011, 04:29 AM
And a coupla self-indulgent/spoiled ladies... :)

Brittany St Jordan
12-11-2011, 04:32 AM

Oh, kinda like New Jersey?

trish
12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/opinion/sunday/the-1-percent-clubs-misguided-protectors.html

onmyknees
12-12-2011, 02:10 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/opinion/sunday/the-1-percent-clubs-misguided-protectors.html

Trish with a shocking revelation. A NYT editorial sympathetic to Obama LMAO. If you want to impress find a NYT editorial that isn't . They don't allow anyone to write editorials unless they tow the party line. It may come as a shock to you but here's another view...........

Consider the Internal Revenue Service’s income tax statistics for 2008, the latest year for which data are available. The top 1% of taxpayers—those with salaries, dividends and capital gains roughly above about $380,000—paid 38% of all taxes collected. But assume that tax policy confiscated all the taxable income of all the “millionaires and billionaires” Mr. Obama singled out. That yields merely about $938 billion, which is sand on the beach amid the $4 trillion White House budget, a $1.65 trillion deficit, and spending at 25% as a share of the economy, a post-World War II record.
Say we take it up to the top 10%, or everyone with income over $114,000, including joint filers. That’s five times Mr. Obama’s 2% promise. The IRS data are broken down at $100,000, yet taxing all income above that level throws up only $3.4 trillion. And remember, the top 10% already pay 69% of all total income taxes, while the top 5% pay more than all of the other 95%.
Keep in mind that the most expensive tax deductions, in terms of lost tax revenue, go mainly to the middle class. These include the deductions for state and local tax payments (especially property taxes), mortgage interest, employer-sponsored health insurance, 401(k) contributions and charitable donations. The irony is that even as Mr. Obama says he merely wants the rich to pay a little bit more, his proposals would make the tax code less progressive than it is today.
So while it may make you and your Occupy comrades feel good, it won't solve a thing fiscally. It will only serve to feed the insatiable appetite of politicians to spend more money.So why then continue to pursue it? It's the demagoguery of incompetence.

trish
12-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Perhaps you failed to read it, it's not a column in praise of Obama, but merely a report on the research of doctors Andrew Berg and Jonathan Ostry, economists at the International Monetary Fund showing th[at] economic inequality of the sort we now have in the United States is associated with unstable economic growth prone to sudden starts and stops.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/op...rotectors.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/opinion/sunday/the-1-percent-clubs-misguided-protectors.html)

russtafa
12-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Speaking of the criminal class....
John Howard was in power for a eleven years and kept Australia in the black which is a lot better than what our current lot can do