PDA

View Full Version : Music To Feed The Brain.....

sexxxylexi
02-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Growing up music was my outlet from the real world and surroundings. I used music to escape from things such as harrassment etc. Music has become something I have carried like baggage almost music can tweak so many different emotions.....anger...sadness...happiness....etc... ..I can listen to a song and remember where I was what I was feeling etc, and this is what I mean by baggage.....Doesnt have to mean something bad......I have decided to start this thread to find out many types of styles of music that have you escape or maybe even made you realize things or your life or made you feel something for that matter.

My first was Madonna blah blah blah sterotypes blah blah blah who gives? lol Well I was influenced by the controversey surrounding Madonna she was so sexual and so public with it. This was at the height of her controversey with her album "Erotica", and her book "Sex". I was never in so awe by someone she just oozed sex. I was not attracted to her but more attracted to the thought of being her. I never really appreciated her as a person fully until recently. She was so fake and so caught up in the media cycle that she really wasnt all to real for the most post in interviews. It was like she was playing into what everyone expected of her. I was so inspired by her boldness and the controversey surrounding her but never really found what really laid beneath that. I have since found more appreciation for her in her words. SHe has become so spiritual and so giveing as a person that it is so influential in many regards. I remember watching her last documentary and I cried cause of how real she was in it it was so refreshing to see someone using their status for good. I would say that she would be a good example of a good mother. In the documentary her children were so beautiful and very much real also. Her daughter seems so intellegent. Lourdes was speaking of how she went to a childrens ward of a hospital to read her mothers book to the sick children there and it was so breathtaking to hear such things comeing from a little girls mouth.

In my teens I got into heavier music like Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznors words are so expressive and leave u thinking....He is a beautiful poet. I have never come across anyone like Trent Reznor. In my teens I listened to angry music as a way to kind of cope with the anger that I felt inside. I kinda didnt have many friends and like I said above used this as an outlet. When I started really getting into Madonna along came the labels like being gay etc, because majority of male Madonna fans are homosexuals. If they could only see me now lol.....Speaking of witch off topic as I am sure alot of you know I do live cam shows on Gia's, Allanah's, and Tasha Jone's web sites. Well a girl I went to elementary school with and her husband live across the street from me directly. So its Friday night and I am doing my cam show and I have a bay window and my bed is right there and all the lights are on well I didnt know how well you could see through my window and her husband saw me doing my thing and informed me I should get better blinds for my bedroom upstairs......Fabulous......

But anyways as you can probably tell music has been a huge influence of who and what I am today may it be style or oppinion etc.....I was just curious to hear about music that have influenced you. I will leave you with lyrics to one of my favorite songs.

The Day The World Went Away

Trent Reznor:

I'd listen to the words he'd say
In his voice I heard decay
The plastic face forced to portray
All the insides left cold and gray
There is a place that still remains
It eats the fear, it eats the pain
The sweetest price he'll have to pay
The day the whole world went away

Lots Of Love

Lexi

BeardedOne
02-03-2006, 09:25 PM
I understand what you mean by baggage, but I would just call it your "history". But, yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

How about "Designer Luggage"? :D

I used to play The Who's Tommy or Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water whenever I was depressed (Which was =a lot=). Then I had phases of rock, pop, country (Eeeewww), and inevitably came back to classical (To calm my wired nerves).

I attach a lot of vivid memories to songs/music that was playing at the time of various life events. A soundtrack, if you will.

A friend of mine used to say that life would be so much better with the right background music. :)

Quinn
02-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I can totally identify with viewing music as a major force in your life. At every stage in my development, music - and the emotional states that it has inspired - has played an important role in helping me grow as a person. It's funny, here in NYC, many of my business associates and friends see therapists to help them work through their various emotional issues (most of which are really quite silly). I always tell them to get some good music; it's less expensive and far more effective than any therapist.

-Quinn

BeardedOne
02-03-2006, 10:28 PM
It's funny, here in NYC, many of my business associates and friends see therapists to help them work through their various emotional issues (most of which are really quite silly). I always tell them to get some good music, it's less expensive and far more effective than any therapist.

Most excellent advice, Quinn. Many of my friends have suggested I do the therapy thing, never cluing in to the fact that such would be akin to painting the car instead of fixing the potholes. Since the outside sources of distress are hard to repair or avoid, it comes down to developing ways to deal with the resultant stresses.

A warm bath, a cold brew, and some Copeland, Mozart, Bizze (Sp?), Shostakovich, or even The Who, Madonna, Two Nice Girls, or Wierd Al Yenkovich (Franky, even!), can unravel a lot of serious angst in a very short time. Of late, I've taken quite a shine to the soundtrack work of Thomas Newman (American Beauty, Pay It Forward, Series of Unfortunate Events) and "Snuffy" Walden (Early Edition, West Wing). Sure, it's not a dance mix, but it can conjer up strong images in the mind.

Quinn
02-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Many of my friends have suggested I do the therapy thing, never cluing in to the fact that such would be akin to painting the car instead of fixing the potholes. Since the outside sources of distress are hard to repair or avoid, it comes down to developing ways to deal with the resultant stresses.

LOL. That's a great analogy, Bearded.

-Quinn

BeardedOne
02-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Speaking of the Who, I had a different experience in my teens w/ "Live at Leeds", which was a pretty angry time for me. That album put me in the mood to break alot of stuff when I was 16. :D

I have a violent temper, when provoked, and can surely relate to such things/moods. In my youth, I just played the stuff really =LOUD=.

InvisibleTS
02-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Talking about music can be so tedious, lol. I'm not even sure what it is I like (or don't like) anymore, but I try to dip my toes in all genres and just appreciate what I can. Been listening to Etta James, Sufjan Stevens, Tori Amos, and Stereolab (to name a couple) lately, but what I listen to changes on a daily basis.

I encourage anyone to chat with me on yahoo messanger and if you'd be so kind, buy me an iPod while you're at it :wink:

BeardedOne
02-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I encourage anyone to chat with me on yahoo messanger and if you'd be so kind, buy me an iPod while you're at it :wink:

I can do the one (When I'm awake and sober) and we can discuss the other on my next foray to CT. :wink:

sexxxylexi
02-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Talking about music can be so tedious

Well thank you so much for shitting on my thread..........

Classy.........

InvisibleTS
02-04-2006, 12:37 AM

Classy.........

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it and thought I was being playful (hence the "lol" immediatly after the first thing you quoted of me). I meant it was "tedious" because there's soooo much out there and so much to talk about that I'm not even sure where I'd want to begin. Second thing was obviously a joke as well (you make a similiar one on your website I notice). Hope you understand, a music convo with you would be nice sometime.

sexxxylexi
02-04-2006, 12:44 AM

Classy.........

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it and thought I was being playful (hence the "lol" immediatly after the first thing you quoted of me). I meant it was "tedious" because there's soooo much out there and so much to talk about that I'm not even sure where I'd want to begin. Second thing was obviously a joke as well (you make a similiar one on your website I notice). Hope you understand, a music convo with you would be nice sometime.

my appollagies

ghostofbillhicks
02-04-2006, 02:37 AM
Ah - a fellow Sufjan Stevens fan! Thought I was all on my lonesome with that ...

In terms of general music throughout my life, I guess I have to be a typical middle class white boy and say that The Smiths have kept me sane over the years ...

Sidney
02-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Alice Cooper, T. Rex, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Lou Reed, The Velvet Underground, Nico, John Cale... and The Beach Boys...

ghostofbillhicks
02-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Good call, Sidney.

A few more 'standards' from me - Bob Dylan, Talking Heads, Blondie, Love. On a more curious note - Joy Zipper, Interpol, M83 and The Go! Team.

4DegreesWarmer
02-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Nice to see a thread devoted to music...

Well, music is definitely the most important thing in my life; it's my father, mother, lover, etc. It's also what I've dedicated my life to making.

In terms of my taste, I'd say it's fairly broad. Growing up my dad fearing negative influences limited my exposure to music, so I essentially listened to whatever came on tv. My first cd was by a Canadian band(Our Lady Peace) and I completely wore that disc out. My 2nd by a band which still happpens to be my favorite...Tool - Aenima. That cd truly challenged my conceptions of what music could be and subsequently opened a door of new possibilities for me.

Some of favorites: Jeff Buckley, Tim Buckley, Tool, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Can, The Mars Volta, Placebo, Radiohead, Incubus, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Jimi Hendrix, Minnie Riperton, Four Tops, Curtis Mayfield, Nick Drake, Muse, Nirvana, NIN, Sunny Day Real Estate, Aesop Rock, Mos Def, Eminem, At The Drive-In, Silverchair, Fiona Apple, and a whole hell of a lot more :wink:

And in the spirit of sharing lyrics you feel strongly about...

"Grace" by J. Buckley

There's the moon asking to stay
Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
Well it's my time coming, i'm not afraid to die
My fading voice sings of love,
But she cries to the clicking of time
Of time

Wait in the fire...

And she weeps on my arm
Walking to the bright lights in sorrow
Oh drink a bit of wine we both might go tomorrow
Oh my love
And the rain is falling and i believe
My time has come
It reminds me of the pain
I might leave
Leave behind

Wait in the fire...

And I feel them drown my name
So easy to know and forget with this kiss
I'm not afraid to go but it goes so slow

Ecstatic
02-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Lots of great music and musicians in this thread, many being favorites of mine. Just the other day I stumbled across a Thai musician whose work I really like a lot, Sek Loso. Now I can't understand a word of what he's singing, but he's a fine guitarist and has a great sound. I ordered four of his cd's from www.ethaicd.com -- $7-$8 each. Another upcoming Thai artist who is crossing over to English and is poised to break in the US is Tata Young, a sort of the Thai version of Shakira, releasing Thai and English cd's just as Shakira was a huge star in Colombia and has released Spanish and English albums.

I've been listening to a wide range of styles, lately: Kinks, Neil Young's Prairie Wind, Jesse Skyes and the Sweet Hereafter, Dee Carstensen, Kim Taylor, Over the Rhine, Fionna Apple, and many others.

Brd1, I think you're referring to Georges Bizet, right?

BeardedOne
02-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Mmmm, just listening to "Heart and Soul" by T'pau. Always loved that song (Never did hear any other work of theirs).

Brd1, I think you're referring to Georges Bizet, right?

Yes, exactly. Thanx for the spelling tweak, I always space the spelling and only got Shostokovich <Thinking>, yah, right because I was able to cut-n-paste from a handy playlist at the moment. :)

On spelling, and knowing of Thai things, wrap your vocals around this: Sucharitikul. To simplify things, a friend used to pronounce it "Such-a-rich-kid". :lol: Composer, conductor, author, member of the Thai royal family, and founder of "The Church of Somtology" (He once declared me a pope of same...I guess there are several).

I've only ever heard him perform once, and that was an impromptu piano gig in, of all places, Pennsylvania Dutch Country, but damn! Those fingers flew across the ivories in a way that brought tears to my eyes (And, yes, I =did= cry a bit when he played "La Cucaracha" (Sp?) backwards). He played some of his own work, some classical, some pop/top40, and bits of Japanimation soundtrack music that we found in some Anime mags we had on hand.

I do enjoy a well-played piano or keyboard work. I've been in hotel bars where I wanted to throttle the generic "pianist" for the ungodly damage they were doing to the work of great artists (I actually watched a musician friend of mine twist a wicker bread basket into a knot on hearing a particularly painful massacre of a rather simple Beatles melody). On the opposite end of the spectrum I had a nice dinner last year with "The Wife" (A title, not a relationship) at an area piano bar that chose to have rotating local artists, rather than one staff 'player', to get a nice feel of genuine music. Sadly, this formula didn't save the restaurant from demise, only six months after they opened their doors. :(

Story: Some years back I attended an event at the Boston Park Plaza (ne: Statler) hotel and was holding audience at the bar/lounge at the head of the lobby. A young fellow I know from Newton, MA, sat down at the piano and pounded out (In a good way) spectacular piano adaptations of well-known Japanese anime of the era as well as all-time SF favorites such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, etc. To paraphrase the words of great pianist/humorist Tom Lehrer: He was conducting an 88 piece orchestra. At the behest of the staff player, hotel security politely asked this fellow to give up the keyboard. I swear, the "pro" hadn't touched three keys before the bar emptied. :lol:

Moral: We may be drunk, but we =know= what we like. :D

BeardedOne
02-04-2006, 11:57 PM
"Star Wars! Nothing but Staaaar Waaaars!" :lol:

:lol:

I heard that, once.

But it's not the real words.

They are more like:

Star Waaaars,
Made me a foooortuuuune.
Paid off the moooortgage,
Bought me a car.

:lol:

You know, Lucas =did= buy a Tucker Torpedo with that money.

BeardedOne
02-05-2006, 01:41 AM
You know, Lucas =did= buy a Tucker Torpedo with that money.Is that the car that the film Tucker, starring Jeff Bridges, was based on?

Yup. Incredible car. I've seen two up close; one at the Smithsonian in DC and the other at the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum (In the original ACD showroom/administration building) in Auburn, Indiana. The one at Auburn is on the floor, where you can go up and look right inside.

Of the original fifty, forty-nine remain. There was a documentary that showed George driving one of his (He owns two) on the Skywalker Ranch property. The sad thing about such great cars is the fear that the owners have of to actually drive and enjoy them. Last I heard, a Tucker commanded a $2 million price tag at a classic car auction (The primary reason they were so hard to round up for the making of the film). The car they rolled on the test track, BTW, was a '50 Studebaker, which is an excellent 'body double' for a Tucker.

Skillet
02-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Buahahah!!! Music is one of the few things in life that enjoy to the fullest. If I ain't watching TV, I'm on the internet. If I ain't on the net, I'm listenin to music. I have a fairly diverse pallet for music, I guess. Mostly hard rock or metal. Tool, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Chevelle, Nickelback. Also various types of Christian music(Blindside, 12 Stones, Stavesacre, Jars of Clay, DC Talk) and I enjoy oldies now and again too. The only kinds I don't really care for are rap and country. But then I guess there exceptions to rules. Eighties rap is where it's at, for instance. Public Enemy, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash. I also own almost every "Weird Al" Yankovic CD known to man. :D

Realgirls4me
02-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Speaking of music, one of the most influential, yet underrated and under-appreciated musicians of our time might -- might -- make an appearance on the Grammys tonight. If you're not familiar with Sly, you really don't know your music. The man was a genius. A genius.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/entertainment/grammy_awards

:)