PDA

View Full Version : One of the saddest headlines I've read

Bobby Domino
11-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure why I'm posting this article. I'm mostly a cynical, unemotional person, but there are times when a news story resonates in my soul. I guess the reason why I'm sharing is that maybe this article will heighten our sensibility towards our fellow surroundings.

In this forum - and in life - we may not agree with everybody on everything and at times, in our frustration, we project our annoyance onto others with nasty words. Hopefully this article will push us to be more compassionate towards each other. In the short amount of time I've been on this forum, I have come to be much more conscious of individual identity. Each of us sees the world with a different lens and to be able to discuss those views openly has been extremely educational. To my friends and to the rest of the members, I want to say thank you for humor, your honesty and your points of view.
Hug, or simply smile at, someone today; you never know, they may need it.

Thanks & have a good one,
-BD

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A 3-year-old girl comforted herself with her favorite toy and ate cheese, leftover lasagna and milk for two days after her mother died unexpectedly in their New Zealand home.
The girl's uncle, Pete Silbery, told The Associated Press on Friday that Shylah Silbery managed to open the fridge and comfort herself with a teddy bear named "Possum" after Lauren Silbery, 28, died.
The family last spoke to Lauren Silbery on Oct. 19, he said. Two days later, they were worried enough to call a friend who lived near her Wellington home. The friend could see the girl inside the home, but not the mother, prompting the family to call police, Pete Silbery said.
Police coaxed Shylah to drag a coffee table to the door so she could reach the lock and unlock the door, before she told them, "Mummy won't wake up," Silbery said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45160396/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/#.TrQGRWClCtF

giovanni_hotel
11-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Stop reading the newspapers. Sad shit like this will make you depressed.

Bobby Domino
11-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Stop reading the newspapers. Sad shit like this will make you depressed.

I think someone spiked my coffee with estrogen this morning, lol
(shit, that was probably really inappropriate :shrug)

EvonRose
11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Omg, no one is cynical and unemotional, we are humans and we are emotional and compassionate by nature there are just some aspect of our lives that block or wont let us feel certain way trying to develope a hard shell surrounding us, but in reality were all soft in the inside...

Stavros
11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
It also suggests good parenting, if a 3-yr old knew enough to take food from the fridge and eat it. Some children are incapable even at a later age when the parents insist on doing everything. I once shared a house with some students, one of whom stuggled to use a toaster; he was 20 years old.

Probably a one-parent family, it is always hard to know but one hopes the experience will not damage the child, losing a mother is huge loss, at whatever age.

So, Bobby, you have a soul, a heart, and a brain, nothing to be ashamed of in these times!

BellaBellucci
11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Omg, no one is cynical and unemotional, we are humans and we are emotional and compassionate by nature there are just some aspect of our lives that block or wont let us feel certain way trying to develope a hard shell surrounding us, but in reality were all soft in the inside...

Some of us are or at least can be, and some, like me, even revel in it. That said, after all the buildup I was sure I'd get through the OP without getting upset.

I didn't get past the first sentence. This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

... but it's not going to change anything. Humans fight, sometimes as a means of survival. Sadness only reminds us why we must.

~BB~

Bobby Domino
11-04-2011, 08:45 PM

You need heavy machinery to get underneath my exterior :twisted::smoking

or a pretty face :p:whistle:

It also suggests good parenting, if a 3-yr old knew enough to take food from the fridge and eat it. Some children are incapable even at a later age when the parents insist on doing everything. I once shared a house with some students, one of whom stuggled to use a toaster; he was 20 years old.

Probably a one-parent family, it is always hard to know but one hopes the experience will not damage the child, losing a mother is huge loss, at whatever age.

So, Bobby, you have a soul, a heart, and a brain, nothing to be ashamed of in these times!

yeah, who needs Dorothy and her stupid wizard, lol :whistle:

on a serious note, Stavros, I never thought about the mother's influence on the child's resourcefulness.

Some of us are or at least can be, and some, like me, even revel in it. That said, after all the buildup I was sure I'd get through the OP without getting upset.

I didn't get past the first sentence. This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

... but it's not going to change anything. Humans fight, sometimes as a means of survival. Sadness only reminds us why we must.

~BB~

I know you think it's icky but... :kiss:

doctor screw
11-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure why I'm posting this article. I'm mostly a cynical, unemotional person, but there are times when a news story resonates in my soul. I guess the reason why I'm sharing is that maybe this article will heighten our sensibility towards our fellow surroundings.

In this forum - and in life - we may not agree with everybody on everything and at times, in our frustration, we project our annoyance onto others with nasty words. Hopefully this article will push us to be more compassionate towards each other. In the short amount of time I've been on this forum, I have come to be much more conscious of individual identity. Each of us sees the world with a different lens and to be able to discuss those views openly has been extremely educational. To my friends and to the rest of the members, I want to say thank you for humor, your honesty and your points of view.
Hug, or simply smile at, someone today; you never know, they may need it.

Thanks & have a good one,
-BD

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A 3-year-old girl comforted herself with her favorite toy and ate cheese, leftover lasagna and milk for two days after her mother died unexpectedly in their New Zealand home.
The girl's uncle, Pete Silbery, told The Associated Press on Friday that Shylah Silbery managed to open the fridge and comfort herself with a teddy bear named "Possum" after Lauren Silbery, 28, died.
The family last spoke to Lauren Silbery on Oct. 19, he said. Two days later, they were worried enough to call a friend who lived near her Wellington home. The friend could see the girl inside the home, but not the mother, prompting the family to call police, Pete Silbery said.
Police coaxed Shylah to drag a coffee table to the door so she could reach the lock and unlock the door, before she told them, "Mummy won't wake up," Silbery said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45160396/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/#.TrQGRWClCtF

Not to take away from this tragedy,but Over 20,000 Africans die everyday from starvation.

CORVETTEDUDE
11-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I just saw this on the net...Is that not crazy, or what!!?? And, I'm very sad for that little girl....

bighicknyc
11-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Not to take away from this tragedy,but Over 20,000 Africans die everyday from starvation.

So we should have this three year old go to Africa and show them how to open a fridge

onmyknees
11-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Sure it's profoundly sad...but I'm curious as to why this particular story got to you ? Every day, all day shit like this happens. I heard today in NYC 2 dudes clubbed an old man to death for 15 bucks. GH is correct....don't read the newspapers...it will consume you with despair.

doctor screw
11-04-2011, 11:33 PM
So we should have this three year old go to Africa and show them how to open a fridge

No,I was pointing out how tens of thousands of people die horrible deaths everyday. Whats one life compared to thousands.

Nice joke about the misery of others.It takes a real tough guy to do that,lol.

Respond at your own risk...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA:geek:

Bobby Domino
11-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Sure it's profoundly sad...but I'm curious as to why this particular story got to you ? Every day, all day shit like this happens. I heard today in NYC 2 dudes clubbed an old man to death for 15 bucks. GH is correct....don't read the newspapers...it will consume you with despair.

I agree with you & Dr. Screw that stuff like this happens all the time and I scoff at 99% of what I read. I guess you could chalk it up to a combination of timing, vulnerability, and the particular circumstances of the story.

I replayed the scenario in my head: little girl tries to wake up mommie but confused why she can't; after 5-10 hours of crying & soiling her frock, disoriented, she has the resolve to remember that sustenance is kept in the fridge and commands the physical strength to open it. Poor girl was probably trying feed her dead mother left-over lasagna.

It's not your typical "junkie mom ODs while children torture pet hamster" story. Anyone can respond the way they want to the post; I know how this place works. Nonetheless, I was simply expressing my immediate & raw emotions to the forum and took the occasion to acknowledge the contributions of its members, which includes you, onmyknees. It's something I haven't done and thought it was about time. :grouphug It's all good in the neighborhood!!!

I DID make a joke about it a few posts later (now, if you'll please return my "man card" :whistle:)

I think someone spiked my coffee with estrogen this morning, lol
(shit, that was probably really inappropriate :shrug)

onmyknees
11-05-2011, 12:39 AM
I agree with you & Dr. Screw that stuff like this happens all the time and I scoff at 99% of what I read. I guess you could chalk it up to a combination of timing, vulnerability, and the particular circumstances of the story.

I replayed the scenario in my head: little girl tries to wake up mommie but confused why she can't; after 5-10 hours of crying & soiling her frock, disoriented, she has the resolve to remember that sustenance is kept in the fridge and commands the physical strength to open it. Poor girl was probably trying feed her dead mother left-over lasagna.

It's not your typical "junkie mom ODs while children her bake cookies" story. Anyone can respond the way they want to the post; I know how this place works. Nonetheless, I was simply expressing my immediate & raw emotions to the forum and took the occasion to acknowledge the contributions of its members, which includes you, onmyknees. It's something I haven't done and thought it was about time. :grouphug It's all good in the neighborhood!!!

I DID make a joke about it a few posts later (now, if you'll please return my "man card" :whistle:)

Dude...I'm in no way questioning your compassion. It's probably a healthy thing. When you lose that...you lose your humanity. Different things hit us in the gut.
Your post was cool with me.

Bobby Domino
11-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Dude...I'm in no way questioning your compassion. It's probably a healthy thing. When you lose that...you lose your humanity. Different things hit us in the gut.
Your post was cool with me.

I'd close down a bar with most of the members here; I appreciate your posts and enjoy your comments :cheers: