PDA

View Full Version : 'Brokeback Mountain' Ban?

George Costanza
01-19-2006, 10:22 PM
SANTORUM BACKS BAN ON GAY WESTERNS

Golden Globes Win for 'Brokeback Mountain' Irks Pennsylvania Senator

Three days after the critically acclaimed film "Brokeback Mountain" won Golden Globe awards in four major categories, Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Penn) called for a constitutional amendment banning gay westerns.

"We cannot sit idly by and watch 'Brokeback Mountain' sashay into the mainstream of American culture," Mr. Santorum said on the Senate floor today. "If allowed to flourish, gay westerns will destroy the sanctity of traditional westerns."

He added that if the film continued to gain acceptance in the heartland, several western states might soon legalize marriage between gay cowboys.

The Pennsylvania senator explained that his proposal of a constitutional amendment banning gay westerns was not a rash decision on his part: "I only reached this decision after watching 'Brokeback Mountain' ten, maybe twelve times."

Mr. Santorum added that it was "unconscionable" that the producers of the film had cast an actor as "hot and sexy" as Heath Ledger as one of the gay cowboys, since "he only makes the gay cowboy lifestyle seem more enticing."

In a sign that Mr. Santorum may have more constitutional amendments to propose, he said that he was also "very concerned" that Hollywood might someday produce a remake of the film "Benji" featuring "man on dog sex."

"I am going to be extra vigilant on this issue," Mr. Santorum said. "If there is a remake of 'Benji' featuring man on dog sex, I will be waiting in line for a ticket on the very first day."

Elsewhere, the Supreme Court voiced support for assisted suicide, and model Kate Moss voiced support for career suicide.

Shannon Summers
01-19-2006, 11:06 PM
OMFG, what a dork!

Ok, did you ever catch Dan Savage's bit on Mr. Santorum? Dan writes a weekly sex column called Savage Love. He was once so irked at Rick Santorum that he held a write-in contest whereby readers came up with new definitions for the word "santorum". There were lots of fun entries, but the final winner?

santorum (noun) - the frothy mixture of fecal matter and lube that is the byproduct of anal sex.

Hahahaha. Let's all do our part to make sure that comes into common usage.

Legend
01-19-2006, 11:27 PM
He watched it twelve times and thinks heath ledger is "hot and sexy" sounds like he has some issues with himself.

Quinn
01-19-2006, 11:48 PM
LMAO. I fell for it. Note to self: read entire post before responding :lol:

-Quinn

BeardedOne
01-20-2006, 12:26 AM
:lol: :lol:

Good one, George.

Almost had me, until I saw:

Elsewhere, the Supreme Court voiced support for assisted suicide, and model Kate Moss voiced support for career suicide.

:lol: :lol:

Felicia Katt
01-20-2006, 02:51 AM
How does Santorum feel about man on Katt sex?

meow

FK

tsntx
01-20-2006, 05:59 AM
OMFG, what a dork!

Ok, did you ever catch Dan Savage's bit on Mr. Santorum? Dan writes a weekly sex column called Savage Love. He was once so irked at Rick Santorum that he held a write-in contest whereby readers came up with new definitions for the word "santorum". There were lots of fun entries, but the final winner?

santorum (noun) - the frothy mixture of fecal matter and lube that is the byproduct of anal sex.

Hahahaha. Let's all do our part to make sure that comes into common usage.

:puke lmao so thats what that is...

Felicia Katt
01-20-2006, 06:51 AM
The idea is that the state doesn't have rights to limit individuals' wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire.
Rick Santorum

I have no problem with homosexuality. I have a problem with homosexual acts.
Rick Santorum

sorry, my Santorum quotes are real, not funny fakes :(

FK

johnb
01-20-2006, 07:06 AM
personally, and i'm not gay, but i've never seen an individual look more sexual than Clint Eastwood in the 'Outlaw Josey Wales', my favorite western. and on another personal note, i've never seen better legs than on, 'The Outlaw Felicia Katt'

Felicia Katt
01-20-2006, 07:20 AM
if I were in a Clint Eastwood movie, instead of Hang em High, would it be Hi, I'm Hung? LOL

meow

FK

johnb
01-20-2006, 07:27 AM
that's for you to know, your hotness, and hopefully, for me to find out...unless it's a chinese western, then you would be starring in 'Won Hung Lo'...or, 'Long Wang'

Felicia Katt
01-20-2006, 07:46 AM
no, my chinese name is Sum Hot Bim LOL

FK

George Costanza
01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
How does Santorum feel about man on Katt sex?

meow

FK

If Santorum feels anything like me, then he's all in favor of man on Katt sex!!

johnb
01-21-2006, 08:53 AM
regardless of your dialect, your brain processes thoughts that then are transferred to your speech, that then are spoken...therefore your Chinese name is, What-a-babe

Hugh Jarrod
01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Was there any pudding consumption in Brokeback Mountain?

BeardedOne
01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Today's Boondocks Sunday strip introduces "Brokeback" as the new slang poke at 'sissy' things. One of the kids, pointing to granddad's 'purse' (Which granddad points out is a manly man-bag) tell's him that it looks "Kinda Brokeback to me". :lol:

"The Boondocks, keeping you and your family in the know. Tell a friend!"

Ecstatic
01-22-2006, 11:05 PM
I read that, BrdO. It's a good and needed service. Earlier today, on the Today show, the weatherman (not Al Roker) was talking to a woman in the crowd who said something about it being her husband's birthday, and then said "I love you dawg." The stupified weatherman said "you talking to your dog?" Poor guy didn't have a clue.

Hugh Jarrod
01-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Did anyone see McGruder's interview on I believe Nightline. After the Boondocks MLK episode they ask him "You use the N word alot on your show don't you think that's offensive?" He answered "We don't use the N word we use nigger, and it's all in the context and how you use it." Way to not puss out, way to stand up McGruders kicks ass IMHO.

Vicki Richter
01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Everyone seems to be calling it Bareback Mountain to denote the fact that they clearly weren't using condoms back in western times... Personally, I don't understand America's infatuation with gay subculture. Alexander and now this... It really isn't necessary. I don't want to see guys making out or acting gay.

Also, what is up with them using two straight actors to play the gay guys? What is up with Hollywood casting a GG woman to play a transsexual in that other movie?

V/R

Hugh Jarrod
01-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Everyone seems to be calling it Bareback Mountain to denote the fact that they clearly weren't using condoms back in western times... Personally, I don't understand America's infatuation with gay subculture. Alexander and now this... It really isn't necessary. I don't want to see guys making out or acting gay.

Also, what is up with them using two straight actors to play the gay guys? What is up with Hollywood casting a GG woman to play a transsexual in that other movie?

V/R

In a way yes, but using to straight guys to play to pretty much straight guys who struggle with their feelings after a gay trist is a little different. If it's an outright gay roll I'd say use a gay actor. I hate when they use GGs to play TGs though. Alexander I can see as a somewhat gay flick because hey the Greeks were friggin' gay, but gay westerns!?

Mustard_Plug
01-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Well to be honest Brokeback wasnt set in old western times so i dont consider it to be a western film. I would rather have straight actors that can portray and have the actin chops to pull off the performances and emotions that were needed for this role, rather than just cast some gay actor for the sake of the fact that their gay. Like Hugh said the characters were not outright gay rather fightin their emotions for one another throught the film.

Legend
01-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Well to be honest Brokeback wasnt set in old western times so i dont consider it to be a western film. I would rather have straight actors that can portray and have the actin chops to pull off the performances and emotions that were needed for this role, rather than just cast some gay actor for the sake of the fact that their gay. Like Hugh said the characters were not outright gay rather fightin their emotions for one another throught the film.

There is nothing wrong with gay people and there are tons of great gay actors:

Max Adrian
Chad Allen
Steve Antin
Alexis Arquette
John Barrowman
Michael Barrymore
David Bedella
Paul Bellini
Christopher Bernau
Dirk Bogarde
Keith Boykin
Wilfrid Brambell
Bunny Breckinridge
Bill Brochtrup
JM J. Bullock
Raymond Burr
Dan Butler
Simon Callow
Richard Chamberlain
Graham Chapman
Ian Charleson
Pablo Cheng
Anthony Clark (actor)
Cam Clarke
Montgomery Clift
James Coco
Noel Coward
Quentin Crisp
Joel Crothers
Wilson Cruz
John Dall
Van Darkholme
Jaye Davidson
Guillermo Diaz
Divine (Glen Milstead)
Louis Edmonds
Hilton Edwards
E cont.
Rupert Everett
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Harvey Fierstein
Peter Frechette
Stephen Fry
Robert Gant
John Gielgud
John Glover (actor)
Farley Granger
William Haines
Anthony Hamilton (actor)
Randy Harrison
Nigel Hawthorne
Robert Helpmann
William Hernandez
René Highway
Frankie Howerd
Rock Hudson
Tab Hunter
Michael Jeter
Leslie Jordan
Gorden Kaye
Trevor Kent
Larry Kert
Udo Kier
Tommy Kirk
Nathan Lane
Jack Larson
Charles Laughton
Matt Lucas
Paul Lynde
Joe Mantello
Jean Marais
Jake Maskall
Roddy McDowall
Ian McKellen
Billy Merasty
Metrobius
M cont.
Eric Millegan
Andre Noble
Ramón Novarro
Ivor Novello
Denis O'Hare
Hugh Paddick
Peter Paige
David Paisley
Antonio Pantojas
Graham Payn
Danny Pintauro
Keith Prentice
Anthony Rapp
Gene Raymond
Robert Reed
Charles Nelson Reilly
George Reinholt
Jai Rodriguez
Cesar Romero
Dick Sargent
Nick Schofield
Antony Sher
Christopher Sieber
Siegfried & Roy
George Takei
John Tartaglia
Sir Ian McKellen
Scott Thompson
Ron Vawter
Anton Walbrook
Matthew Waterhouse
Kenneth Williams
Nathan Hale Williams
Paul Winfield
B.D. Wong
Emanuel Xavier
Joey Yale
Josh Zuckerman

George Costanza
01-23-2006, 03:20 PM
There is nothing wrong with gay people and there are tons of great gay actors:

Max Adrian
Chad Allen
Steve Antin
Alexis Arquette
John Barrowman
Michael Barrymore
David Bedella
Paul Bellini
Christopher Bernau
Dirk Bogarde
Keith Boykin
Wilfrid Brambell
Bunny Breckinridge
Bill Brochtrup
JM J. Bullock
Raymond Burr
Dan Butler
Simon Callow
Richard Chamberlain
Graham Chapman
Ian Charleson
Pablo Cheng
Anthony Clark (actor)
Cam Clarke
Montgomery Clift
James Coco
Noel Coward
Quentin Crisp
Joel Crothers
Wilson Cruz
John Dall
Van Darkholme
Jaye Davidson
Guillermo Diaz
Divine (Glen Milstead)
Louis Edmonds
Hilton Edwards
E cont.
Rupert Everett
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Harvey Fierstein
Peter Frechette
Stephen Fry
Robert Gant
John Gielgud
John Glover (actor)
Farley Granger
William Haines
Anthony Hamilton (actor)
Randy Harrison
Nigel Hawthorne
Robert Helpmann
William Hernandez
René Highway
Frankie Howerd
Rock Hudson
Tab Hunter
Michael Jeter
Leslie Jordan
Gorden Kaye
Trevor Kent
Larry Kert
Udo Kier
Tommy Kirk
Nathan Lane
Jack Larson
Charles Laughton
Matt Lucas
Paul Lynde
Joe Mantello
Jean Marais
Jake Maskall
Roddy McDowall
Ian McKellen
Billy Merasty
Metrobius
M cont.
Eric Millegan
Andre Noble
Ramón Novarro
Ivor Novello
Denis O'Hare
Hugh Paddick
Peter Paige
David Paisley
Antonio Pantojas
Graham Payn
Danny Pintauro
Keith Prentice
Anthony Rapp
Gene Raymond
Robert Reed
Charles Nelson Reilly
George Reinholt
Jai Rodriguez
Cesar Romero
Dick Sargent
Nick Schofield
Antony Sher
Christopher Sieber
Siegfried & Roy
George Takei
John Tartaglia
Sir Ian McKellen
Scott Thompson
Ron Vawter
Anton Walbrook
Matthew Waterhouse
Kenneth Williams
Nathan Hale Williams
Paul Winfield
B.D. Wong
Emanuel Xavier
Joey Yale
Josh Zuckerman

I know he played a great part in The Birdcage, but is Nathan Lane actually gay in real life?

hondarobot
01-23-2006, 05:09 PM

V/R

That is interesting, I have to admit I have this weird "yuck, stop doing that!" reaction when I see two guys making out. I don't know why, I see it all the time and frequently it's friends or co-workers of mine that are doing it.

Two men kissing just trips some adverse reaction in my brain, I'm not sure if I'll ever figure out why, but I'm sure gay guys don't really care about my reaction to what the're doing anyways. Two girls making out is kinda hot, but when you see it at a club or a party it generally looks staged. A guy kissing a girl, it's just hard to beat that combination.

I guess, being a guy, I just have a thing for pretty girls, and really there's nothing wrong with that.

But I shouldn't be posting here at all right now, I'm just having a weak moment. I've got work to do.

:wink:

Ecstatic
01-23-2006, 06:18 PM
What is up with Hollywood casting a GG woman to play a transsexual in that other movie?

V/R
Well, it was scarcely Hollywood, as Transamerica (assuming that's the movie you mean, Vicki) is not a traditional Hollywood production, but a small production made in a few weeks on a limited budget. Duncan Tucker got the idea for the movie during a conversation with transgendered actress Katherine Connella, with whom he had been sharing a house for about 4 months (and who had shocked him by her revelation that she had been born male). Anyway, I think that Huffman was an ideal selection for the role, being a very fine actress who is not particularly pretty (at least not by Hollywood standards). At the very least, her presence (even minus the Golden Globe) in the movie will draw a much bigger audience than casting a TG simply to be "real" (besides, the character of Bree is supposed to be an awkward, unsure pre-op, not a babe or well-adjusted TS), and given the sensitivity of her performance, that's a good thing, I think.

Ecstatic
01-23-2006, 06:19 PM
I know he played a great part in The Birdcage, but is Nathan Lane actually gay in real life?
According to everything I've read, yes. Check Answer.com for instance:

"He is openly gay, and was criticized by some gay activists for taking the role of a promiscuous heterosexual in the short-lived TV series Encore! Encore!, which also starred Glenne Headley and Dame Joan Plowright. He dismissed these critics as 'old queens'."

George Costanza
01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
According to everything I've read, yes. Check Answer.com for instance:

"He is openly gay, and was criticized by some gay activists for taking the role of a promiscuous heterosexual in the short-lived TV series Encore! Encore!, which also starred Glenne Headley and Dame Joan Plowright. He dismissed these critics as 'old queens'."

Alas, you are correct Ecstatic... http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,4184,00.html

Felicia Katt
01-24-2006, 02:47 AM

People have a hard enough time accepting gay cowboys, but a Jewish one?? oi vey!! LOL

meow

FK

chefmike
01-24-2006, 03:53 AM
from shrubya's (supposedly) unscripted press conference today...

BUSH: NO 'BROKEBACK'
Mon Jan 23 2006 17:09:44 ET

President Bush has so far skipped BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN -- the Hollywood hit about two homosexual cowboys.

During a Q&A session at Kansas State University today, a student asked Bush: "I was just wanting to get your opinion on BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN if you'd seen it yet."

The crowd laughed softly before the student said loudly: "You would love it! You should check it out."

"I haven't seen it," Bush said flatly. "I'd be glad to talk about ranching, but I haven't seen the movie," he said to laughter. "I've heard about it."

The president waited a second or two, then said, according to a transcript: "I hope you go -- (laughter) -- you know -- (laughter) -- I hope you go back to the ranch and the farm, is what I was about to say. I haven't seen it. (Laughter, applause.)"

He's making no sense, as usual... but we know for a fact that shrub and his partners in crime are doing everything in their power to break America's back...

Felicia Katt
01-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Chef, I'm pretty sure gay cowboys could care less about bush, or the president for that matter :)

To not beat around the bush, you don't need to beat Bush around in every thread.

FK

chefmike
01-24-2006, 05:04 AM
Since the chimp was asked about the movie, I quoted his response,,,I have very little interest in the topic, other than the fact that I enjoy Larry McMurtry's novels, and he did the screenplay...if you feel the need to slap someone on the hand with a ruler, knock yourself out...