PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else Play Guitar on here?

Nivek
09-14-2011, 10:18 AM
If so, what kind of guitar(s) and what gear are you rocking?

gimmeurblood
09-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I've played for about 15 years now but the past couple years I've been playing drums. But gear wise I have a couple guitars and basses lying around running thru a peavy head (dunno what kind tho) I usually record direct into my pc thru a old digitech rp-10. I'm really keen on getting one of those ibanez 8-strings soon

needsum
09-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I've played most of my life. I have a Gibson Epiphone accoustic-electric, a yahama 12-string, a les paul 20th anniversary, an old telecaster, and a few other odds and ends. haven't played much the last couple years but hoping to get back into playing again.

Dino Velvet
09-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Haven't played in some time but I used to have a Gibson SG with a Fender amp. Thinking of buying a new guitar, amp, and accessories but somewhere down the road.

Wouldn't mind another Gibson SG especially this one.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/9/4/273494.jpg

needsum
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I love the SG, and this one is killer! I love those celtic crosses as fret inlays--way cool.

95racer
09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Badly.

Nikka
09-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Nikki Playing Guitar Hero EXPERT! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SkBXAiA50)

Nivek
09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
That is a bad ass SG! As for The ibanez eight string I gotta check it out!

traLika
09-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Fender Tele but I don't play much guitar these days. I mainly use a software computer studio with a keyboard controller. When I do plug the Tele in I use Guitar Rig 4 and AmpliTube 3.

Nivek
09-14-2011, 08:05 PM
What year Tele? I just bought a 72 reissue, I love the neck and tone.

robertlouis
09-14-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm a pro musician behind the alias - acoustic singer-songwriter.

My main guitar is a 1978 Lowden jumbo built in Ireland, unusual for Lowden in that it has a spruce rather than cedar top. Looks like shit, sounds wonderful, especially tuned in DADGAD, through an LR Baggs Para Di external pickup and a Korg effects box. Sometimes I trust the venue PA, but in a smaller hall I use my AER amp for that more intimate feel.

Also a Taylor 714 concert model cutaway, spruce top, with onboard electronics, mostly for picking, a Takamine dreadnought and a Yamaha APX12 12-string which has such a pure acoustic sound that I never plug it in and play through an open mic.

Elixir nanoweb strings 12 to 56 on the Lowden, 12 to 53 on the Taylor and Tak.

The backups: Ovation 6 string
Ibanez 6 string
Handmade Telecaster copy - use it for rhythm on harder songs and country-style picking
Ozark tenor banjo
Vintage Gibson copy mandolin
Hammer dulcimer

For home recording I have a five year old Boss 16 track, mostly for demos and fun. Studio recordings I do with mates down in Cornwall or up in the Pennines. I also get people to send me fills on violin, cello etc on mp3 and then blend their input to the tracks, a lot cheaper and usually easier these days than working in the studio. All hail the interweb!

Falrune
09-14-2011, 09:41 PM
A cheap Fender Strat Esquire.

traLika
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
What year Tele? I just bought a 72 reissue, I love the neck and tone.

Nothing vintage, I'm afraid. A sunburst 1998 USA Deluxe. Rosewood neck.

Dino Velvet
09-14-2011, 09:57 PM

My main guitar is a 1978 Lowden jumbo built in Ireland, unusual for Lowden in that it has a spruce rather than cedar top. Looks like shit, sounds wonderful, especially tuned in DADGAD, through an LR Baggs Para Di external pickup and a Korg effects box. Sometimes I trust the venue PA, but in a smaller hall I use my AER amp for that more intimate feel.

Also a Taylor 714 concert model cutaway, spruce top, with onboard electronics, mostly for picking, a Takamine dreadnought and a Yamaha APX12 12-string which has such a pure acoustic sound that I never plug it in and play through an open mic.

Ibanez 6 string
Handmade Telecaster copy - use it for rhythm on harder songs and country-style picking
Ozark tenor banjo
Hammer dulcimer

For home recording I have a five year old Boss 16 track, mostly for demos and fun. Studio recordings I do with mates down in Cornwall or up in the Pennines. I also get people to send me fills on violin, cello etc on mp3 and then blend their input to the tracks, a lot cheaper and usually easier these days than working in the studio. All hail the interweb!

You're in an enviable position. You pay your bills with the art you create. I wish I could do that. I'm just a sleazy landlord but I'd rather be a great writer.

This is someone who's read some of my actual work and kinda lived to tell the tale.

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/11/44/97/11449724_gal.jpg

traLika
09-14-2011, 10:05 PM

Ibanez 6 string
Ozark tenor banjo
Hammer dulcimer

Nice guitars. Like the Sibelius av too! :)

robertlouis
09-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice guitars. Like the Sibelius av too! :)

Thank you. Another culture vulture - it's his quote too.

And as a catlover, I think that your avatar is uber-cute.

robertlouis
09-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Here's a pic of the Lowden. Doesn't look special, but any acoustic guitar that's been built well and with high quality tonewoods just gets better with age.

It's balanced rather than bright, but excels in the bass response.

traLika
09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
And as a catlover, I think that your avatar is uber-cute.

Thanks. The cat's driving me nuts. Doesn't catch any mice - just listens to techno all day...

robertlouis
09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks. The cat's driving me nuts. Doesn't catch any mice - just listens to techno all day...

Bit like mine then, although he has to put up with my incessant guitar-noodling instead.

Prospero
09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
I used to play a white Fender Stratocaster with a maple neck - the original. Sold it in my twenties when i realised i was never going to be a rock star - and used the money to make my first trip to the US. Still miss it though. Also had a 12 string electric guitar anda burns black bison bass. All gone.

Faldur
09-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Collected instruments since I was a boy. Some prized music makers, a 1965 Gibson Deluxe Tenor Banjo, 1977 Dickey Betts edition Gibson Les Paul Custom, and a 1979 Stratocaster.

Jamie French
09-15-2011, 12:32 AM
My primary guitar is a Schecter Damien FR. It's great for demos until I have the stock EMGs switched out for 81s and 85s. You can hear what it sounds like (through a POD HD300) in this song:

DEMO. (http://www.skullcandymedia.com/asleep.mp3)

My primary instrument is a Schecter Elite 5 string bass - fucker plays itself. The guitar is obscured by the headphones in the photo and the bass is orange thing in the guitar rack. The rest of the crap is the rest of my crap.

http://skullcandymedia.com/q.jpg

seamonkey
09-15-2011, 12:46 AM
I've been playing for 45 years. Mostly acoustic, plus some banjo and blues-style Dobro. Main guitar for 34 years is a 1977 Martin HD 28 that rings like a bell. Also have a 96 Guild F512 12 string. Dream now is for a Fender B-bender Telecaster.

Instrumental
09-15-2011, 12:47 AM
I have a Harmony Acoustic guitar that I've had since I was like 13 or 14. I'm 24 now. I should get a new one but eh.

MdR Dave
09-15-2011, 02:31 AM
I've been playing for 45 years. Mostly acoustic, plus some banjo and blues-style Dobro. Main guitar for 34 years is a 1977 Martin HD 28 that rings like a bell. Also have a 96 Guild F512 12 string. Dream now is for a Fender B-bender Telecaster.

Dobros ROCK! Mine is a 1930's National, still has most of the etched coating and the original resonator.

My main guitfiddle is a black Takamine acoustic/electric - I know what you're thinking but it has a easy action and I got mine (1991) before Bon Jovi did!

robertlouis
09-15-2011, 02:36 AM
My primary guitar is a Schecter Damien FR. It's great for demos until I have the stock EMGs switched out for 81s and 85s. You can hear what it sounds like (through a POD HD300) in this song:

DEMO. (http://www.skullcandymedia.com/asleep.mp3)

My primary instrument is a Schecter Elite 5 string bass - fucker plays itself. The guitar is obscured by the headphones in the photo and the bass is orange thing in the guitar rack. The rest of the crap is the rest of my crap.

http://skullcandymedia.com/q.jpg

That's a very neat lineup, Jamie. What are the acoustics, please, and is that a guitar/banjo hybrid on the right?

robertlouis
09-15-2011, 02:39 AM
I used to play a white Fender Stratocaster with a maple neck - the original. Sold it in my twenties when i realised i was never going to be a rock star - and used the money to make my first trip to the US. Still miss it though. Also had a 12 string electric guitar anda burns black bison bass. All gone.

Sold my strat a few months ago, candy apple red. It was a great guitar, but I just wasn't using it. I've always preferred the sound and feel of the tele, chunkier, fatter sound, plus the strat is for me primarily a lead instrument, and I never aspired to that as an electric player.

I am pretty good on acoustic, though. :dancing:

Jamie French
09-15-2011, 04:46 AM
A cheapo $300 Fender CD14 I use to write with and an old 70's Yamaha POS student guitar that's really just something to hang on the wall for looks. The Banjo is a 6 string Dean tuned like a guitar so there's really no learning curve.
A sample of what it sounds like can be found here: DEMO (http://skullcandymedia.com/punkrockgirl.mp3)

That's a very neat lineup, Jamie. What are the acoustics, please, and is that a guitar/banjo hybrid on the right?

SugaSweet
09-15-2011, 05:01 AM
1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1953 Martin 000-28
I am thinking of setting up a guitar accessories site via ebay.

xVICx411
09-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Ive been playing now for about 8 years! Started with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, with a 5 WT Kustom Amp! Horrible sound lol Im currently playing a ESP MH-400 through a Line 6 Spider 3 100WT. Also have a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, and a Washburn WG 015SCE

baller1987
09-15-2011, 05:13 AM
I have 3 six strings, a 12 string, a bass and a piano. I play them all, but i dont even know the names of them. i think ones a fender. People think i'm retarded for knowing so little about my guitars, but i'm good at playing.

GentsPreferTS
09-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I've played guitar, and bass for a long time, but got out of it the past few years. Just picked up a silverface Fender Champ amp, and am looking at picking up a Strat. I have Seymour Duncan pickups (Screaming Demon, and an Invader) on my old guitar (Gibson SG), but my old guitar has a warped neck from being in storage. Should be a nice little setup when I get finished. I used to have a Stu Hamm bass with EMG pickups, and a really old Ampeg B-15 which was reconditioned by Jess Oliver himself. I actually used to have quite a bit of gear/instruments/amps as I owned a small recording studio... I have a degree in recording engineering. But I hate working w/ music I don't love so I got out of the biz.

Punk and Metal is what I love to play. Sometimes rock too, but not as often.

What I REALLY want to do is learn to play metal drums, but that takes a bit more money than I am willing to invest at this time. I used to play drums when I was in high school.

GentsPreferTS
09-15-2011, 06:01 AM
I read an article about Tommi Iommi of Black Sabbath uses banjo strings on his guitar, because he is missing parts of his fingers* and the light gauge gives less tension to his prosthetic "fingers" (he uses some sort of invention designed just to play guitar, he actually made the prototype himself out of melting plastic bottles when he was just recovering on his own), and I want to see if it gives a bit of the Sabbath sound.
*The man had to switch from a right handed guitar, to a left handed guitar as well... what a champ. He cut his fingers off on his last day at work in a metal/machine shop. Amazing he went on to become one of the most influential guitar players ever after this. Inspirational.

robertlouis
09-15-2011, 07:00 AM
1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1953 Martin 000-28
I am thinking of setting up a guitar accessories site via ebay.

Wow! How does that Martin sound?

robertlouis
09-15-2011, 07:02 AM
A cheapo $300 Fender CD14 I use to write with and an old 70's Yamaha POS student guitar that's really just something to hang on the wall for looks. The Banjo is a 6 string Dean tuned like a guitar so there's really no learning curve.
A sample of what it sounds like can be found here: DEMO (http://skullcandymedia.com/punkrockgirl.mp3)

Thanks Jamie. Sounds good, especially in a thrash like that one. While on this side of the Atlantic at least it's not seen as a good thing to admit playing banjo, I love playing mine. Playing slow blues on a tenor banjo gets right back to the African origins of the music, I reckon.

hiwatt1000
09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Here's a pic of the Lowden. Doesn't look special, but any acoustic guitar that's been built well and with high quality tonewoods just gets better with age.

It's balanced rather than bright, but excels in the bass response.

...those Lowden's are great guitars...I think Richard Thompson plays an FJ32...really expensive guitars, but worth every cent...I played a few, but way out of my price range...ironically-I'm a vintage Gibson collector...I can hardly afford to buy what's in my own collection!

JohnnyX13
09-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I play guitar. Been playing in semi-touring rock bands for years. I have two Gibson Les Pauls. One Custom and one Standard. The Standard is my baby. Sunburst with a Bigsby. It gets a lot of attention.

Oh, I'm new here. First post. Hello all.

robertlouis
09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
...those Lowden's are great guitars...I think Richard Thompson plays an FJ32...really expensive guitars, but worth every cent...I played a few, but way out of my price range...ironically-I'm a vintage Gibson collector...I can hardly afford to buy what's in my own collection!

I contacted Lowden a couple of years ago with some queries as I thought I might need a re-fret, and got a reply from George himself inside 24 hours offering to buy it back, as it's one of the first 50 that he made in the early days in his garage in Newtownards. I politely declined, but let's say I could have bought a decent car for what he offered.

I originally bought it from a guy who was clearing his collection and didn't feel that it looked good enough to keep! I guess that's the difference between a collector and a musician lol. So what I paid was way below its market value.

As Lowden no longer makes the model - it has a deeper body, no cutaway, a different bout and of course the spruce top - it is literally irreplaceable. And it can vary in tone between the sweetness of an Irish thrush and an out of control banshee. Wonderful instrument that I'm very lucky to own and play.

littlenookie
09-18-2011, 02:02 AM
I have 3 - Carvin Full Body Acoustic, Carvin Semi-Hollow Acoustic/Electric and Fender Strat. Carvins are GREAT!!!