PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Bastards?

GroobySteven
08-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I have not verified this but I just got this email from Change.org - it sounds too bad to be completely true. Hershey's is shit chocolate anyway, so it's not like I'd stop buying it but this sounds a bit scandalous.

When I was an 18 yr old student, I went on a US work exchange in an AHRC summer camp - 14+ hr days, 6 days a week, incl. cleaning up shit, showering people and having to sing and dance to Grease, despite this being the late 80's. I was given $150 for the whole summer (9 weeks) and a return flight UK-USA. I spent the $150 and money I brought traveling on a Greyhound bus for 3 weeks.
I was such an abuse, that I only returned for the following 7 yrs in a row :-)

This however, sounds as shit as their chocolate.

"Hundreds of foreign exchange students paid to come to America this summer, expecting opportunities to learn English and experience American culture.
Instead, the exchange students found themselves forced to work in back-breaking, round-the-clock production lines packing chocolates at a Hershey's plant in Pennsylvania at low wages. When the students complained, Hershey's threatened to have them deported.
Now the exchange students are fighting back. They just walked out of the Hershey's plant and into the streets to protest the abusive conditions and to demand big changes to Hershey's deceptive "cultural exchange" program.
And they've teamed up with the National Guestworker Alliance to start a petition demanding that Hershey's compensate the exchange students, and turn their work into good jobs for local workers. Click here to add your name. (http://www.change.org/petitions/hershey-stop-exploiting-student-guestworkers?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&alert_id=gpSTNTrfSK_HjZkmuqPgG)
Yana, a 19-year-old girl from Ukraine, lifts boxes that weigh 40 pounds -- nearly half her weight. Peng, a 21-year-old economics student from China, also lifts heavy boxes during his eight-hour shifts at the warehouse.
Hundreds of students from Ghana, Turkey, Mongolia, and other countries each paid up to $6,000 for the privilege to come to America in a cultural exchange program this summer. Now Hershey's pays them around $8 an hour for their warehouse work, minus costs of housing -- leaving many students broke, tired, and disillusioned.
Why would Hershey's want to use foreign exchange students as cheap, manual labor? According to the National Guestworker Alliance, a group helping the students, it's about profit. Hershey's is laying off 500 American workers in the next year. The company's strategy is apparently paying off: Hershey's pocketed $130 million in just the last three months.
The foreign exchange students are asking Hershey to refund the thousands of dollars the students paid to come to America. And that's not all: The students also want Hershey's to convert their low-paying positions to living wage jobs for local residents in Pennsylvania.
Please sign the petition to Hershey's demanding the company refund the students' costs to come to America and give their jobs back to American workers who live near the warehouse.
http://www.change.org/petitions/hershey-stop-exploiting-student-guestworkers (http://www.change.org/petitions/hershey-stop-exploiting-student-guestworkers?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&alert_id=gpSTNTrfSK_HjZkmuqPgG)

Silcc69
08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds a bit fake to me. I mean what American company would have illegal slave labor gonig on in the US? That is what China is for.

GroobySteven
08-23-2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/index.ssf/2011/08/far_from_home_but_not_alone.html

Silcc69
08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/index.ssf/2011/08/far_from_home_but_not_alone.html

I LOLed at the predictable liberal bashing in there.

Stavros
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
When I was an 18 yr old student, I went on a US work exchange in an AHRC summer camp - 14+ hr days, 6 days a week, incl. cleaning up shit, showering people and having to sing and dance to Grease, despite this being the late 80's

You might have had the US experience at a young age, and I am puzzled at what sounds like forced labour rather than a work exchange. But I do sympathise, having to listen to Grease is punishment enough, but to have to repeat it day after day...did you write to your MP about it?

Nashvegas
08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I read an article about this on either yahoo.com or aol.com the other day(sorry cant remember which) and it pretty much said the same thing

GroobySteven
08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
When I was an 18 yr old student, I went on a US work exchange in an AHRC summer camp - 14+ hr days, 6 days a week, incl. cleaning up shit, showering people and having to sing and dance to Grease, despite this being the late 80's

You might have had the US experience at a young age, and I am puzzled at what sounds like forced labour rather than a work exchange. But I do sympathise, having to listen to Grease is punishment enough, but to have to repeat it day after day...did you write to your MP about it?

No we knew what we were getting into and even the US counsellors working there weren't getting paid that much. It was an awesome experience working with those kids and adults (and something which has stayed with me forever). The other upside was at 9pm we all headed to the bar ... 150 staff. 90 girls and 60 guys. 20 or so of the guys were gay. 12 of us were Brits ... and we discovered that US girls never just give you a kiss goodnight, I used and abused my accent over there.
Like I said, I went back for 7 yrs!

TheGeneral
08-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Lol, I've been watching MSNBC & FOX News too much.
I clicked on the post seriously thinking I was going to have to scream on you for a racist comment, lol. I was going to say why Black folk have to be called Chocolate Bastards huh.

robertlouis
08-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Hershey's is the only substance I've ever put in my mouth which actually tastes like vomit.

Damn good for these students. Hope they get the results, especially the well-paid jobs for local workers.

Shame that the product will still be the same, though. I wonder how much anti-American sentiment around the world began when some well-meaning GI handed over a Hershey bar to a hungry kid in Germany lol.

SXFX
08-24-2011, 05:39 AM
It's true.
No joke.
The "kids" who run the rides at most 6 flags are not from the US.
They get paid shit.