PDA

View Full Version : Obama bypasses Congress, enacts limited amnesty

shwn
08-21-2011, 07:35 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/18/new-dhs-rules-cancel-deportations/

Obama to deport illegals by ‘priority’
Case-by-case plan will curb numbers
2369 Comments and 957 Reactions|ShareTweet|Email|Print|
Immigrant rights groups and community members call in Los Angeles Monday, Aug. 15, 2011, for an end to the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Secure Communities program, which was created in 2008 and calls for police to submit suspects’ fingerprints to DHS so they can be cross-checked with federal deportation orders. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes) By Stephen Dinan-The Washington Times Thursday, August 18, 2011
Text Size: +-
Click-2-Listen
STORY TOPICS
Politics
Social Issues
Congress
Barack Obama
Janet Napolitano
FOLLOW US ONFACEBOOKQUESTION OF THE DAY
Do you side with Rick Perry’s skepticism of manmade global warming?
Yes
No
Undecided
Other
Login to Vote
View results

Bowing to pressure from immigrant rights activists, the Obama administration said Thursday that it will halt deportation proceedings on a case-by-case basis against illegal immigrants who meet certain criteria, such as attending school, having family in the military or having primary responsible for other family members’ care.

The move marks a major step for President Obama, who for months has said he does not have broad categorical authority to halt deportations and said he must follow the laws as Congress has written them.

But in letters to Congress on Thursday, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said she does have discretion to focus on “priorities” and that her department and the Justice Department will review all ongoing cases to see who meets the new criteria.

“This case-by-case approach will enhance public safety,” she said. “Immigration judges will be able to more swiftly adjudicate high-priority cases, such as those involving convicted felons.”

The move won immediate praise from Hispanic activists and Democrats who had strenuously argued with the administration that it did have authority to take these actions, and said as long as Congress is deadlocked on the issue, it was up to Mr. Obama to act.

Immigrant rights groups and community members rally in Los Angeles on Aug. 15, 2011, for an end to the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Secure Communities Program, which was created in 2008 and calls for police to submit suspects’ fingerprints to DHS so they can be cross-checked with federal deportation orders. (Associated Press)
“Today’s announcement shows that this president is willing to put muscle behind his words and to use his power to intervene when the lives of good people are being ruined by bad laws,” said Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez, Illinois Democrat, who has taken a leadership role on the issue since the death of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in 2009.

The new rules apply to those who have been apprehended and are in deportation proceedings, but have not been officially ordered out of the country by a judge.

Ms. Napolitano said a working group will try to come up with “guidance on how to provide for appropriate discretionary consideration” for “compelling cases” in instances where someone already has been ordered deported.

Administration officials made the announcement just before Mr. Obama left for a long vacation out of Washington, and as members of Congress are back in their home districts.

The top House Republican on the Judiciary Committee said the move is part of a White House plan “to grant backdoor amnesty to illegal immigrants.”

“The Obama administration should enforce immigration laws, not look for ways to ignore them,” said Rep. Lamar Smith, Texas Republican. “The Obama administration should not pick and choose which laws to enforce. Administration officials should remember the oath of office they took to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the land.”

Immigration legislation has been stalled in Congress for years as the two parties have sparred over what to include.

Republicans generally favor stricter enforcement and a temporary program that would allow workers in the country for some time, but eventually return to their home countries. Democrats want the legislation to include legalization of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants now in the country, and want the future guest-worker program to also include a path to citizenship so those workers can stay permanently.

Since 2007, when the issue stalled in the Senate, more than 1 million illegal immigrants have been deported.

Democrats said those deportations are breaking up families and that it’s an unfair punishment for a broken system.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story
‹‹ previous12next ››
© Copyright 2011 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Sponsored Link: A $34,000 income secret Congress won’t tell you about... Because it could help make you thousands of dollars in dividends every year...Without touching regular Wall Street

Faldur
08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Representative government in action.. oh wait, all hail dictator obuma

onmyknees
08-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Every time I hear Butch Napolatano talk about how tough the Administration is on illegal immigration, she trumpets the amount of deportations. What a bait and switch bunch of bullshit. What good is deporting a few hundred illegals when they're pouring over the border on a daily basis like water over Niagara Falls? And how do you tell us how tough you're getting on the border when your ATF folks allowed the sale of nearly 2000 automatic weapons to obvious illegals near the border in "Fast and Furious" ? These people aren't serious about preserving the sovereignty of US soil. Why would they be....??? Those are future democratic voters streaming across the border!

What I can never quite get my hands around about this illegal problem is if you know anyone who has undergone the process legally, it takes years, and it's arduous. You would think that those that had to undergo the process and wait years would resent those that swam a river, or climbed a fence and in several hours became de-facto American citizens. Curious.

arnie666
08-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I thought Obongo was all about Job creation? What a cunt.

Stavros
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
From another perspective, this article in The Guardian claims that farmers in the South are deeply concerned as most (if not all) the labourers who bring in the corn are from down Mexico way (or even further afield), legal or illegal...and apparently Alabama has passed an exemption for Latinas in domestic service (!) which suggests that even when an individual state gets tough on illegals, it makes room for room service. And wasn't there an even more contradictory exemption from Cubans 'fleeing persecution'?

I understand the nature of the problem, but if the USA didn't hire them, would the people still come?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/21/racist-immigration-law-in-deep-south?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

trish
08-22-2011, 10:52 PM
You understand correctly, Stavros. Even farmers in the Midwest as far north as Wisconsin depend on migrant workers to harvest crops. Without that cheap labor, prices at the grocery store, which are already high because of world wide droughts, and high transportation costs, will rise even higher. Since farmers have no leverage against "legals", Americans, whether jobless or not, will not do that back braking labor for the paltry wages paid to "illegal" migrants.

It's about time the executive did an end run around this stupid do nothing tea-bagging Congress.

Stavros
08-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Americans, whether jobless or not, will not do that back braking labor for the paltry wages paid to "illegal" migrants.

Well, Trish, the first time I worked in the vendanges in France I had to as I found myself stranded there without a 'dime' - but the second time I did it because I discovered that I enjoyed working on the land -ironically, I suppose, I was 'migrant labour'. Its one of those things you don't know the reality of until you try it, thus: I would round up 'kids from the ghetto' -of whatever colour or background: because working on the land has a way of re-ordering thought: yes, it is almost literally back-breaking (I also slashed the tips of my fingers with the bill-hook used to cut grapes from the vine) -but hard physical work never did a young person any harm; it gets city people out in the fresh air and the sunlight; and, dare I say it, it also seems to increase the need for sex....politics aside, I recommend it!

trish
08-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I detasseled corn and picked strawberries when I was a kid along with a herd of others from my school and neighboring districts. I'm not sure exactly how that hiring practice squared with the child labor laws, but it seemed to be a common practice in Pennsylvania. As an adult, I would demand an decent wage for that kind of work. It may not be hard labor that reorders thought as much as a temporary change of scene and lifestyle. People who spend their lifetimes working the land may find in the end that their thoughts aren't so much reordered as their joints.

Stavros
08-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Fair point: I knew that at the end of the harvest I would leave and catch the train to Nice or Paris. I also discovered that living in a village is like living in a goldfish bowl. I was in that place for like 30 minutes when a couple of small children came up to me and asked if I was the Anglais working for Andre---it got worse after that.

But didn't you enjoy being out on the land with the big sky above and the earth beneath your feet?

onmyknees
08-23-2011, 02:15 AM
You understand correctly, Stavros. Even farmers in the Midwest as far north as Wisconsin depend on migrant workers to harvest crops. Without that cheap labor, prices at the grocery store, which are already high because of world wide droughts, and high transportation costs, will rise even higher. Since farmers have no leverage against "legals", Americans, whether jobless or not, will not do that back braking labor for the paltry wages paid to "illegal" migrants.

It's about time the executive did an end run around this stupid do nothing tea-bagging Congress.

LMFAO...oh you mean the Democratically controlled Senate that hasn't passed a budget in nearly 900 days? That's astounding. You can whine about the Tea Party House all you like, but as long as Harry Reid keeps talking about his fig trees, and cowboy poet festivals, you're whining is misdirected, as usual. Your blind hatred of the Tea Party has allowed you to become very inaccurate lately . The House has passed a budget, a plan to deal with entitlements and currently has 10 bills dealing with jobs languishing in the Senate. Your gratuitous attack is factually incorrect. You pegged the "Fail Meter"........again. lmao

Faldur
08-23-2011, 06:04 AM

Log that one in the memory banks sweetie, turn about is fair play. Your days in the white house are very limited.

trish
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
No, I'll log it where it belongs...with the fucking tea party that threatened the U.S. not pay it bills unless they got their selfish little don't- tax-me way. Sorry but that the way the majority of Americans now see your tea bagging party. "Keep your gov'mint hands off my Medicare" LOL What a bunch of stupid ignoramuses.

Faldur
08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Lol, our little party has you a bit upset... its called a representative republic sweetie, get used to it.

trish
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
No it's not. It's called extortion.

onmyknees
08-24-2011, 05:16 AM
No it's not. It's called extortion.

It's everybody's fault except the architect of the house of cards.