PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite dessert

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Just curious to see what some of you crave after [or before] a meal

BeardedOne
01-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Just curious to see what some of you crave after [or before] a meal

Because life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Chocolate Mousse, straight up, or w/whipped cream on top. :D

When I was travelling a lot in the '80s there was a young lady at a restaurant in VA that used to make 'em up special when she knew I'd be in town (It wasn't always available on the dessert menu there). She knew how to make me purrrrrrr. :lol:

TrueBeauty TS
01-06-2006, 12:57 AM
JWBL,

It would be a much shorter list if you asked what ISN'T your favorite dessert!!!! LOL

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-06-2006, 01:04 AM
JWBL,

It would be a much shorter list if you asked what ISN'T your favorite dessert!!!! LOL

LMAO, true that

my favorite dessert was something I got when I was in Berlin a few years ago, it was a pastry with a yellow grape and chocolate syrup around the edges

incredible

NickTheQuick
01-06-2006, 01:21 AM
JWBL, you talking about the Berliner?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_%28pastry%29

I love those, various cheesecakes, and pretty much any dessert with white chocolate. I got an addiction when it comes to quality desserts.

chefmike
01-06-2006, 01:24 AM
JWBL,

Agreed, although citrus-based desserts like key lime pie are always a favorite.

chefmike
01-06-2006, 01:53 AM
[quote=TrueBeauty TS]LMAO, true that

Can you imagine what this person is like? Going on transsexual message boards, asking what those on the board prefer for dessert and then responding with half-assed ebonics and vile chat abbreviations? Jesus.

We have a winner! It's only January 5th, 2006 and it appears that we have the rookie asshole of the month winner. You're also a strong contender for rookie asshole of the year award, although I doubt you'll be around much longer. Congrats, asshole!

BeardedOne
01-06-2006, 01:54 AM
JWBL, you talking about the Berliner?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_%28pastry%29

So =THAT'S= what JFK called himself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-06-2006, 02:04 AM
The loaf has been disposed......................

chefmike
01-06-2006, 02:16 AM
The loaf has been disposed......................

Well done, JWBL...better be sure to flush twice.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
01-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Hmm..Id go for a slice of BLACK FOREST..or CRÈME BRULÈ. :wink:

~Kisses.

HTG

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-06-2006, 02:40 AM
creme brule?

explain

chefmike
01-06-2006, 02:52 AM
creme brule?

explain

I guess it's basically considered a custard, although it's been a while since I've done pastry 101...us old schoolers prefer to let the chicks do that, tho its fun sometimes...

The finish with the blowtorch will caramelize the sugar and that is what really makes a creme brulee...

One of my favorites is an espresso brulee with whole espresso beans on top.

here's a basic one

CITRUS RESTAURANT'S CREME BRULEE

10 eggs, separated
3/4 c. milk
1 tbsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sugar
2 1/4 c. whipping cream
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed

Mix egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until well combined and sugar has dissolved. Add milk, whipping cream and vanilla and mix well.
Place 1 (9x13) glass baking dish or 6 (5 inch) fluted glass flan dishes in baking pan. Pour mixture into baking dish or fill flan dishes 3/4 full with creme brulee mixture. Place in oven and fill baking sheet 3/4 full with hot water. Bake at 350 degrees 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove dishes from hot water bath and set aside to cool.

Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and brown sugar. Sprinkle top of each serving evenly with combined sugars. Caramelize with torch. If torch is not available, place creme brulee in refrigerator until chilled. When ready to serve, place sugar-coated creme in preheated broiler 5 minutes to brown, being careful not to scorch. 6 servings.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
01-06-2006, 03:03 AM
JWBL, Like chef said..its similar to a custard i.e. sorta like a pie. :wink: You should try it sometime.

Creme Brulee has a thick pudding base of cream and eggs topped by a delicate layer of caramelized sugar. In French, "creme brulee" means "burnt cream," which refers to the process by which sprinkled sugar gets heated to a temperature that caramelizes it to a delicious brown.

Creme Brulee combines minimalist flavors in a partly chilled yet partly heated dessert. Of course, there are many established variations on the flavor of cream and sugar that add spices, nuts, liqueurs, or toppings. For instance, some chefs mix in cinnamon, vanilla extract, coconut, pumpkin, melted chocolate, or concentrated espresso to make seasonal varieties. Others use rich, heavy liqueurs like creme de cassis, bourbon, or creme de menthe for a spicy flair. If decorative ramekins aren’t fancy enough, you can add a sprig of mint, fresh berries, shaved chocolate, dried coconut, chopped hazelnuts, or an edible flower such as a nasturtium to entice guests to fully appreciate their first spoonful of decadent creme brulee.

SOURCE: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-creme-brulee.htm

Hmm..Chefmike, youre making me hungry now. Yumm.. :wink:

~Kisses.

HTG

flabbybody
01-06-2006, 05:36 AM
wow Harajuka, you know more about food than Alton Brown. you should have your own show on TV Food Network.

who's your favorite chef on TV?

Ecstatic
01-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Wow, I was going to say creme brulee! Good show, Chefmike and Harajuku-san! I will mention one nice version that I quite like: ginger. Not too much, you don't want it to dominate the flavor, just accent it, you know?

I also love a good Southern Pecan Pie and all sorts of satanic, evil, death-defying chocolate! I make one chocolate torte of sorts with 70% cocoa or higher bittersweet chocolate, pistachios, and cardamom.

TrueBeauty TS
01-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Of all the wars, flame throwing, bashing, name calling threads.... I think this thread is the most dangerous.... I get hungry every time I read it!

As far as Creme Brulee goes.... like they say, "Nothing says drama like FIRE!" LOL

It's a nice dramatic dessert if you torch the sugar right in front of everyone at the table. When I made it once, I even bought the little blow torch thing. It's very cool.

Now... on to the list...

Pumpkin Pie
Cheesecake
Cannolies (sp?)
Sour Cream Chocolate cake
Creme Brulee
Pazookies
Tres Leche Cake
Chocolate crossants

uh....... need.... chocolate..... now.....

Felicia Katt
01-06-2006, 06:26 AM
What did loaf say? Btw doesn't Hollywood Loaf sound like a blue plate special at a cheesy diner?

As far as my favorite dessert, I'd have to say tapioca pudding. I'm sure there is a quick dirty joke there, but I will leave it to others to find it LOL

FK

Hara_Juku Tgirl
01-06-2006, 06:28 AM
wow Harajuka, you know more about food than Alton Brown. you should have your own show on TV Food Network.

who's your favorite chef on TV?

LOL. Nah. Its not that hard to know about food..If you grew up going to places and like to eat out. LOL. Thats how I know more about good food.

Also I grew up with my family (Grandma) who owns a restaurant. And later on, my stepmom went into the same line of business when I was a teen. :wink:

As far as chef..not much really too knowledgeable about those..But Ive watched Martha Stewart, IronChefs etc. on the food network. :wink:

~Kisses.

HTG

slinky
01-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Warm Zabaglione over ice cream

Umanoff and Parsons Cappuccino Mousse Cake

Invidual Apple tart with caramel ice cream and hot marshamllow fluff

Galaktoboureko

Hara_Juku Tgirl
01-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Hmm..I forgot to add one more thing. Just remembered cos I had it lastnight.

Fried Japanese Ice cream. Hmm..Yummie! :wink:

~Kisses.

HTG