PDA

View Full Version : Rikers Island to shut gay/transgendered dorm building

NYCe
12-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Rikers to shut gay dorm

One of the nation's few jail dormitories for gay or transgender prisoners is closing on Rikers Island, prompting complaints from some activists who say it is a needed safe haven.

The unit, which opened in the late 1970s to assuage complaints about abusive treatment of homosexuals in the jail population, stopped accepting new inmates last month at the direction of Department of Correction Commissioner Martin Horn.

The facility could be shut entirely within the next few weeks, the department said. It has space for 146 prisoners, though 56 remained yesterday.

Plans call for the specialized unit to be replaced with a new protective custody system that would be available to prisoners who feel threatened, regardless of their sexual orientation.

The change has alarmed members of some civil liberties and gay rights groups. Eighteen groups sent a letter to Horn asking him to reconsider, including the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, the Legal Aid Society, the New York Civil Liberties Union and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

The Associated Press

Caleigh
12-31-2005, 08:22 PM
I can't imagine how harsh it would be for a ts girl to get arrested and put in with the general population of a male prison. I wonder if initiative 24
http://www.nyagra.tripod.com/IntNo24.html
would mean that they could demand to be place in the womens prison, though that might not be any better for them?

DamionXXX
12-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

Caleigh
12-31-2005, 09:02 PM
"Tranny Island", isn't that already a series of films?

Tranny Island, Escape from Tranny Island, Return to Tranny Island, The Legend of Tranny Island.....

BlackAdder
12-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Guards are by and large, slime.....Much like parole officers, they are generally the bottom of the barrel of law enforcement...If you cant make it anywhere else, theres always PO and beat duty. And if your "new meat" the senior guards have ways of making sure you play ball with them or else.

Going to prison is a horrendous experience for anyone, let alone a transsexual.....Although I do think they would be safer in an all female prison. I dont have anything to back up that feeling though.

DamionXXX
12-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

Jasadin
12-31-2005, 09:31 PM
I just hate the fact that ANYONE could be a victim like that in prison reguardless of gender or sexual orientation.

BOATER
12-31-2005, 09:42 PM
the only Guards I respect are the ones that quit after 6 months because they couldnt stomach the job...

they are bottom of the barrel for sure...

I lasted 4 1/2 months, before I quit and started working somewhere else. Ithought it would be a decent job while I was working on my masters. I argued regularly with my supervisor, you has since been fired, but not stripped of his pension for abuse and neglect on the job.
Too much corruption. Prisons are supposed to punsh and reform. But all I saw was criminals (guards) watching criminals. And we expect peole to come out with a new found respect of justice when they saw more injustice by guards and administration.

Shining Star
01-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Legally, trannies whom have not undergone the "operation" are males and therefore cannot be placed in the female section of prison/jail. Long as they have the piece, they are "male".

When taken into custody/spending a night or two in NYC jails, trannies are put into the male section but are kept in cells by themselves. If no other trannie is a guest of NYC, that girl will be by herself, however if others begin arriving, doubling up may start. At court trannies are kept in separate holding cells from the male population.

My guess is NYC is closing the gay/trannie dorm to save money. Considering they must pay bills on the unit weather 3 people are there or 30, it kind of makes sense.

Don't know what all the fuss is about, most state prisons keep gays, trannies and anyone else who feels they need it, in "protective custody. This may mean a separate wing, but usually it means everytime that person wants to leave their cell a guard goes with them.

From what one understands being in an all gay/trannie jail wing isn't a picnic. While a girl may be protected from "male" thugs in the general population, it can still mean she is with trannie/gay "thugs", whom sometimes can be just as mean or meaner than the males. At least in the male section, one has the option of finding a "husband" and thus protection. Do not think it works the same in the trannie/gay section.

Either way the whole experience probably stinks anyway, and the best thing to do is avoid jail/prison in the first place.

George Costanza
01-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Suggestion: If gay and transgender people do not commit crime, then they have nothing to worry about.

Trogdor
01-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Prison gaurds are usually folks who flunked the police exams. And were normally those hard-core bullies who get kicked out of school after school. Or just sadistic bitches who love watching people suffer.

And it's not so much as "if you don't commit a crime, you got nothing to fear" because alot of innocents have been locked up before, some even executed, only to be discovered innocent after it's too late.

Jasadin
01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Suggestion: If gay and transgender people do not commit crime, then they have nothing to worry about.

:roll: If only it was that simple.People do commit crimes and do the time.We as a socitey have chosen to take away the freedom as payment for the offense.Then we lock um up which is fine but how dare we allow any person to be raped beaten etc.. in addition to their sentence.Next they get out and we expect functioning members rehabilitated and welcomed .How many come out better after this?

Janus
01-07-2006, 03:53 AM

Of course. See, cops never screw up, arrest the wrong person, or set someone up. Everyone in jail is 100% guilty, without a doubt.

/sarcasm

Trogdor
01-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Or that the cops in Detroit shot down a blind guy weilding a rake, or that a high ranking cop got fired cause he tried to investigate Kuami "The Thug Mayor" Kilpatrick, most law enforcement people I know are scumbags who were bullies in high school now being paid to be asses, or the good ones get the chop when trying to be good. :P

tubgirl
01-07-2006, 04:18 PM

the first voice of reason in this thread

yourdaddy
01-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Trogdor, you are an idiot. They ought to shoot you for being blind. If you can't read, then don't spread malicious rumors. The guy in Detroit was DEAF. His neighbors and family testified against him, and the cop got off.

chefmike
01-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Trogdor, you are an idiot. They ought to shoot you for being blind. If you can't read, then don't spread malicious rumors. The guy in Detroit was DEAF. His neighbors and family testified against him, and the cop got off.

Congrats, yourSHITFORBRAINSdaddy, he was a deaf mute.

A deaf mute who was "menacing" several armed police officers with a fucking garden rake.

His neighbors and family DID NOT testify against him. Who did you hear that from? Rush the junky, or OReilly?

Police Brutality Coalition demands 'people's investigation'
Diane Bukowski
Date Created
31 May 2003

From the Michigan Citizen

DETROIT – Victims of police brutality and community supporters called for an independent people’s investigation of the Detroit Police Department and the city administration May 20. The Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality cited corruption in the political system, saying that all sides of the current controversy appear to be tainted. “It has been clear to us all along that the police department cannot investigate itself,” said Ron Scott. "It’s time for the people to intervene.”

“It is true that certain individuals may be hiding matters related to the mayor, his security team, and the firing of internal affairs head Gary Brown,” said Ron Scott of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality.

“However, the biggest thing being hidden is the fact that the people of the city of Detroit continue to be victimized.”

Scott said that over 63 people have by killed by Detroit police since 1995, with killings and other incidents of brutality continuing under the current administration, despite an ongoing federal investigation.

He said the coalition is calling on brutality victims, churches and community organizations to convene June 20 to plan an independent investigation, possibly under the aegis of Amnesty International. He said details would be announced later.

Scott said that the coalition does not support the intervention by State Attorney General Michael Cox in the current scandal.

Cox, a former Wayne County prosecutor, has said he will oversee the investigation by the Michigan State Police into the city’s administration.

“Cox is the person who so-called ‘prosecuted’ officer David Krupinski, the killer of deaf citizen Errol Shaw Sr.,” said Scott. “Krupinski testified in that trial that members of Cox’s office attended his fundraisers. For Cox to come now and claim he is the vessel of justice is a joke.”

Krupinski was acquitted in that trial, which took place in August of 2000. He continues to serve on the police force, and is now assigned to the city’s Fourth Precinct.

S. Roland Scott, attorney for Mable Bobbitt, said his client also suffered at the hands of Krupinski, an incident Cox failed to present during Krupinski’s trial for Shaw’s killing, but one he later acknowledged he knew about.

“Krupinski was a renegade and a bully before he joined the force,” said Scott. “He was a bully after he joined, when he pulled a gun and threatened to shoot a Black citizen in Dearborn if the ‘n-----’didn’t get in his car. And he was a bully when he attacked my client and body slammed her to the floor, defenseless at the age of 60.”

Scott said his client, an African-American woman who was acquitted of misdemeanor charges in that incident in 2000, recently lost part of a federal civil case against Krupinski but is still pursuing six other counts in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Others at the press conference said parties on all sides of the current controversy appear to be tainted.

Cornell Squires blasted Deputy Chief Gary Brown, the internal affairs head fired by Kilpatrick May 9, noting that Brown was a co-defendant with Officer Robert Feld Sr. in a number of brutality lawsuits stemming from their work on the narcotics squad.

“I asked Brown to re-investigate Officer Feld in my case, after he was finally charged and forced to resign in another incident this year,” said Squires. “I was beaten by Feld in 1998. He called me a ‘n-----’ and threatened to shoot me. But Brown continued the cover-up and never responded to my letter.”

Herman Vallery said police officer Eugene Brown remains on the force, although he killed his son Lamar Grable and two others, and was sued in a number of “shots fired” and beating incidents, including one involving Loronzo Jones.

Officer Jones, one of two Kilpatrick security team members who is a target of the current investigation, was one of those who sued Brown after Brown beat and pepper-sprayed him while Jones was off-duty, in a June, 1996 incident.

Jones said at the time that he was subjected to numerous incidents of harassment within the police department as a result of his suit.

Contacted May 16, he said he could not comment on the current investigation.

Vallery noted on the other hand that the police department’s appointment of Lt. Vicki Yost as department liaison to the Department of Justice demonstrates the insincerity of the Kilpatrick administration in cooperating with the current federal investigation.

Yost was the partner of Eugene Brown when he shot Vallery’s son to death in 1996.

Ron Scott said the cover-up of Brown’s killings continues, with the city council recently meeting in secret to obtain a report from its attorneys on its attempt to get a copy of the Shoulders report, an internal police document which allegedly found Brown at fault in those incidents.

“It has been clear to us all along that the police department cannot investigate itself,” said Ron Scott. “But it is also clear that neither can government agencies at any level. It’s time for the people to intervene.”

Felicia Katt
01-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Yourdaddy, pots should'nt go calling kettles black

http://www.courttv.com/archive/trials/krupinski/verdict_ctv.html

The testimony of civilian witnesses that Shaw did not menace police and that only Krupinski had his gun out was contradicted by the testimony of Krupinski and three other police officers who took the stand during the two-week trial.
and in support of the overall theme of the thread that law enforcement and prison guards are not always above board, it should be known
the person who killed Shaw the man who allegedly threatened police with a garden rake, 23-year-old Officer David Krupinski, had been arrested in January 1999 in nearby Dearborn for brandishing his police pistol, using racial slurs and threatening to shoot a black motorist during a traffic dispute.
I won't suggest you should be shot, though, for your error or your malice in spreading false rumors about the victim's neighbors and family. The whole point of this thread was about avoiding violence. :)

FK

ps, sorry for the redundancy, I was finalizing this post whe Chefmike apparently posted with this information first.

Trogdor
01-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Hell, in 1999, I got harassed by cops when I was grocery shopping cause they said "you look suspicious" What's suspicous of a guy in long hair and a leather jacket with a few bags of groceries walking down a strip mall.

They did this to me twice in one week, once I told em that I'd threaten to sue the police department and make it a event for the news to see me, they left me alone.

And earlier in 1998, when I graduated high school, me and the guys were driving home from our party from a friend, and we had to steer around a large pothole....this thing was like 3 or 4 feet wide and 4 inches deep, no way could anyone NOT see this. Well, then two fat ass cops, with those SUPER bright lamps shining in our faces ,made us do all the damn drunk tests, and we told em we swerved to avoid the hole ( and no one else was on tha troad at the time either ) and they said, "you better shut up if you know what's good for you, punk!" And then I over heard one of them saying to the other "What kinda guns you think he gots on him?" And I said, "Well, I got nothing on me." They said "You better shut up right now, you lil punk!" After 20 minutes, barney fife and barbrady finally let us go. And this is in a small rural hillbilly town, imagine if I was anything but white. The pigs' car had a confederate flag near the windshield.

Boy seems like if you got hair and muscle, you're automatically deemed suspect of anything. :roll:

And many cops I seen around here are very homophobic or racist, so don't be defending em too much, the bad ones outway the crooked ones, and the jail wardons are guys who flunked the police academy.....probably 1st grade as well.

Cops nowadays act more like the guys thay are supposed to protect us from.

Watch the movie, An Innocent Man, where a guy got framed by the police themselves.

The only good cops I see are just ficticious ones you see in TV and films.

yourdaddy
01-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Your English is terrible Trog. I believe you should be suspect of anything you do.

Felicia Katt
01-08-2006, 03:58 AM
I don't subscribe to your theory that poor use of English obviates the need for probable cause for arrest or due process of law. But if thats your belief, I would point out that I think what you meant to say, if you were using English correctly, was either Anything you do would be suspect, or You should be suspected for anything you do. Or Anything you do would be suspicious. The way you have it now, you have Trogdor as the one with suspicion rather than as the object of it.

FK

yourdaddy
01-08-2006, 04:12 AM
Get serious...i'm not.

Felicia Katt
01-08-2006, 08:02 AM
I wasn't being serious either. But you obviously have a serious irony deficiency if you don't get that its laughable to attack someone else's English using your own poor grammar.

FK

scipio
01-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Your English is terrible Trog. I believe you should be suspect of anything you do.

Sorry - is that English? "Engrish" is more like it.

Sidney
01-08-2006, 08:33 AM
http://www.spr.org/

Stop Prisoner Rape: Check out the Website above for more information. Prisoner rape is not a joke (despite what Michael Alago might say)... Rape is one of the worst crimes of all and we should all do what we can to prevent it... So why do we support jailing more and more of our population for victimless crimes (drugs, prostitution, etc.)?

Damned if I know...

Trogdor
01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Well yourdaddy, you seem to know more than I do, so go right ahead and show me where my english was bad, though I do admit I hit the space bar a little too quickly with some of the commas. And I often post in forums late at night, when my typing starts to slip when fatigue kicks in.