PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Beer

Edwoodwoodwood
06-29-2011, 06:47 PM
I have taken the opportunity to hijack this away from the thread to do with favourite / last movies.

There seems to be a lot of controversy about American beer v Europe beer.

Gillian
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Or American pish as we call it in Scotland ... :D

CORVETTEDUDE
06-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Colorado Educated Rocky Mountain Pee Water.....COORS, while I'm in the states.

Jericho
06-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Colt 45 :shrug

ValerieNelson
06-29-2011, 07:14 PM
If offered I'll drink Budweiser, Miller, or just about any.

However usually I buy myself either Hefeweizen, Brew Dog, or Saint Arnold's.

Edwoodwoodwood
06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
If offered I'll drink Budweiser, Miller, or just about any.

However usually I buy myself either Hefeweizen, Brew Dog, or Saint Arnold's.

Hmm, sadly not enough options to include that lot Valerie

ValerieNelson
06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Hmm, sadly not enough options to include that lot Valerie

Could I be the swing vote? :dancing:

SammiValentine
06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
no hoegaarden?!?!?

gay thread!!!

trish
06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Blue Moon with a slice of orange.

European21
06-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Every beer from czech republic is great!!:-)

CORVETTEDUDE
06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Every beer from czech republic is great!!:-)

Wellll, of course you'd say that!!!:dancing::hide-1::whistle:

joeninety
06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Guiness all the way, the stuff is like food great nourishment slips down the throat as easily as a fit girls cum juice hmmm:cheers:

iamdrgonzo
06-29-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm partial to Victoria Bitter (VB) in the bottle.

If no VB then Amstel Light.

joeym75ld
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
If I had to choose 1 from the list, I would say Guiness, but I usually drink it as a black and tan with Bass.

I prefer a Pale Ale or India Pale Ale. My favorites are Sierra Nevada and Brooklyn Brewery. But I will try just about any Pale Ale.

In the summer, I'll occaissionaly drink wheat beers. I enjoy Blue Moon with a slice of orange.

betts
06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Maredsous Tripel

Dino Velvet
06-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Normally I'm a Newcastle or Guinness guy. I'm liking the Belgian stuff too as I also enjoy Stella Artois and Blue Moon.

Arrogant Bastard is a real kick in the pants. Don't we make that here in America? It's like Guinness only more Guinnessy.

Prospero
06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Gotta agree with European though I voted for real ale and for Guinness. But i don't drink much beer - prefer a good single malt whisky, the peatier the better (Laphroig is the best) or good wine.

But mainstream american beer - alcoholic fizzy burp IMHO

kylieam1
06-30-2011, 12:08 AM
samichlaus bier i used to drink alot and a local pub had about 200 different bottle beers at a time.

Spanishgirillover
06-30-2011, 12:14 AM
None of the above I like Molson Ice from Canada or Chimay Red from Belgium

kylieam1
06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
chimay is really good they have a red one to right?

Luvs T Gyrls
06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Bami Ba Export 33

trish
06-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Gotta agree with European though I voted for real ale and for Guinness. But i don't drink much beer - prefer a good single malt, peatier the better (Laphroig is the best) or good win.

But mainstream american beer - alcoholic fizzy burp IMHOOften I have an inch or two of Laphroig on the rocks in the evenings. Drink of the gods.

onmyknees
06-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Bud and Miller ( although I do my part to keep both in business) are probably not the best representatives of American beer. Certainly they're popular, but Sam Adams is the best brewed beer in America but as every beer drinker knows, these micro breweries are putting out some great shit.

I have become a huge fan of Blue Moon with a slice...goes great with fish or beef and drinks real smooth.

Jake4
06-30-2011, 01:58 AM
what a useless poll. There are thousands of different beer in the world and yet there only 10 choices in the poll and they are all piss water except for the Czech beer.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Often I have an inch or two of Laphroig on the rocks in the evenings. Drink of the gods.

On the rocks! Good God woman. You're off my list.

The only thing you should ever add to single malt is more single malt.

Seriously, ice kills the darker flavours and the complexity. A little water, added slowly, can also open up some of the heavier malts. But never, ever, have malt on ice.

Jack Daniels on the other hand - as much ice as possible to kill the taste. :dancing:

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 02:16 AM
no hoegaarden?!?!?

gay thread!!!

I've had a few hoes in my garden over the years..... :dancing:

Ed, you're betraying your ignorance, laddie. Brand names except for the UK's glory, which all gets lumped together as "real ale"? Hundreds of wonderful brews, all with different characters.

My top ten, chosen pretty much at random.

1. Doom Bar, from Cornwall
2. Deuchars IPA, from Edinburgh
3. Blandford Fly, from Dorset
4. Black Sheep, from Yorkshire
5. Adnams Broadside, from Suffolk
6. Sam Smiths Bitter, from Yorkshire
7. Thwaites Bitter, from Lancashire
8. Tribute, from Cornwall
9. Abbot Ale, from Suffolk
10. Bitter and Twisted, from Falkirk

Prospero, we need to take the lad to a proper real ale pub and bring him back from the dark side, or actually, TO the dark side, and away from that foul American piss he seems to like.

And Sammi, just as a bonus for you, I'll add in Cain's Bitter from Liverpool. Excellent pint.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 02:22 AM
And Becks is a middling German beer, but can't match up to the glories of Warsteiner or Bitburg. Great thing about Germany is that all beer has to be made in accordance with the 1525 purity laws - water, hops, malt, that's it. And also as part of the tradition, almost every German town of any size has its own brewery dating back centuries.

US Budweiser would be impounded by German customs as a blend of noxious chemicals - maize starch FFS!

And don't forget Weissbier (wheat beer), like Paulaner, Fransiskaner etc, from Bayern. Like Hoeegarden but with more depth. Although a light wheat beer like Hoeegarden is wonderfully refreshing on a warm day.

theone1982
06-30-2011, 02:27 AM
My favorite beer is the one closest to me at the bar.:)

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 02:32 AM
My favorite beer is the one closest to me at the bar.:)

I knew you'd be a connoisseur, M8! :party::cheers:

onmyknees
06-30-2011, 02:38 AM
And Becks is a middling German beer, but can't match up to the glories of Warsteiner or Bitburg. Great thing about Germany is that all beer has to be made in accordance with the 1525 purity laws - water, hops, malt, that's it. And also as part of the tradition, almost every German town of any size has its own brewery dating back centuries.

US Budweiser would be impounded by German customs as a blend of noxious chemicals - maize starch FFS!

And don't forget Weissbier (wheat beer), like Paulaner, Fransiskaner etc, from Bayern. Like Hoeegarden but with more depth. Although a light wheat beer like Hoeegarden is wonderfully refreshing on a warm day.

Way to name drop.......but none of those fancy German beers sponser a NASCAR team or own a major league baseball team, so they may taste good on a warm day, but not at Darlington !!!!! LMAO

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Way to name drop.......but none of those fancy German beers sponser a NASCAR team or own a major league baseball team, so they may taste good on a warm day, but not at Darlington !!!!! LMAO

Great criteria for choosing what to drink. :)

Bastards bought the beer rights for the soccer world cup as well.

Umm, I've been to Darlington, the original one. Grand place to drink Newcastle Brown Ale.

onmyknees
06-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Great criteria for choosing what to drink. :)

Bastards bought the beer rights for the soccer world cup as well.

Umm, I've been to Darlington, the original one. Grand place to drink Newcastle Brown Ale.

My criteria for most things is ....buy American first. After all...the job you're saving may be your own !!

muh_muh
06-30-2011, 02:54 AM
almost all of those beers in the poll are terrible

personally as far as beers that people outside the area i live in might have actually heard of go ive become a huge fan of gutmann dunkel lately
plus im enough of a child that the gutmann label makes me grin every time i read that the beer is brewed in 'titting'

Warsteiner Bitburg Paulaner Fransiskaner

oh my you really need to get to know some german beer that isnt some mass produced rubbish

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 03:03 AM
almost all of those beers in the poll are terrible

personally as far as beers that people outside the area i live in might have actually heard of go ive become a huge fan of gutmann dunkel lately
plus im enough of a child that the gutmann label makes me grin every time i read that the beer is brewed in 'titting'

oh my you really need to get to know some german beer that isnt some mass produced rubbish

Just spent three weeks in Austria and Germany where as I say almost every town has its own brewery, but can't remember the names. Let's just say I drank some great local brews in Dornbirn, Egg, Wurzburg, Freiburg, Lindau, Munchen, Nurnberg and Ingolstadt.

So in general I agree with you. The ones I named in my previous post just happen to be the best that are generally available to buy here in the UK - just helping the locals here.

zum Wohl!

envivision
06-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Brahma from brazil

Yvonne183
06-30-2011, 03:19 AM
I don't drink beer, for some reason beer doesn't mix good with Heroin.

If I do drink, I have drinks that come with little umbrellas in the glass.

Dino Velvet
06-30-2011, 03:56 AM
Grand place to drink Newcastle Brown Ale.

There's no bad place to down a refreshing Newcastle Brown Ale.:cheers:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5lELKCuMf8c/TCkcZF0nkmI/AAAAAAAAANA/l3IxaO4SqSY/s1600/Newcastle-Brown-Ale-1.jpg

russtafa
06-30-2011, 03:57 AM
boags of Tasmania

EyeCumInPiece
06-30-2011, 04:20 AM
Stella's. not on the list

Pelheckitt
06-30-2011, 04:25 AM
My favorite isnt on the poll. Its Cruzcampo a Spanish beer best when coming ice cold out of a tap.

otherguy
06-30-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm partial to Victoria Bitter (VB) in the bottle.

If no VB then Amstel Light.

I enjoyed VB in Sydney, can't find it in my locale. Liked some of the Toohey's brews as well.

muh_muh
06-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Just spent three weeks in Austria and Germany where as I say almost every town has its own brewery, but can't remember the names. Let's just say I drank some great local brews in Dornbirn, Egg, Wurzburg, Freiburg, Lindau, Munchen, Nurnberg and Ingolstadt.

ah that sounds a lot more agreeable
might just be local pride speaking but some of the best beer anywhere can be found inside the triangle of bamberg bayreuth and nuernberg in villages with more breweries than inhabitants

otherguy
06-30-2011, 04:39 AM
I stick to Sam Adams Lager and their non-ale brews. It's too hot down here for ales. Lagers/pilsners only here. As bad as Corona is, the watered-down taste works in my hot, humid climate.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 04:44 AM
ah that sounds a lot more agreeable
might just be local pride speaking but some of the best beer anywhere can be found inside the triangle of bamberg bayreuth and nuernberg in villages with more breweries than inhabitants

All beautiful places - I have relations in Nurnberg and Bamberg is wonderful, although the Rauchbier has a taste I have yet to acquire!

Just out of interest, which Weizen would you recommend?

As I said, I can get Paulaner, Fransiskaner and also Erdinger here in the UK - and had a very good meal in the Fransiskanerhof in Munchen earlier this month. Drank the Dunkel there which is better than the Weizen.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Stella's. not on the list

Yes. It's shite.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 04:49 AM
I don't drink beer, for some reason beer doesn't mix good with Heroin.

True. And you don't want those bubbles in the needle either, quite dangerous I believe.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 04:55 AM
I have taken the opportunity to hijack this away from the thread to do with favourite / last movies.

Ed dear, dear boy. SMH.

Cobra is, and always has been, brewed in the UK.

If you want to promote an Indian beer, go for Kingfisher. Yes, it's also brewed in the UK on licence, about 15 miles south of me, in Bedford, but in India it's the main brand. There are also three strengths with quite different tastes and characteristics. We only get the weakest one in the UK.

Oh, and Kingfisher in India also have their own airline. How feckin' funky is that? It's purely internal flights at the moment, and they aren't supposed to serve you beer while you're flying over some of the more predominantly muslim states!

Dino Velvet
06-30-2011, 06:04 AM
As I mentioned, I'm liking the Belgian stuff. Looks like I need to try some Czech brew. This weekend I plan on doing some serious scientific research right after I get home from BevMo.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 06:29 AM
As I mentioned, I'm liking the Belgian stuff. Looks like I need to try some Czech brew. This weekend I plan on doing some serious scientific research right after I get home from BevMo.

Drinking in Belgium is a lot of fun. Every beer is served in a special glass which is used exclusively for that one brew.

Have you tried Chimay, Dino, which comes in blue, red and gold label bottles in ascending levels of alcohol content?

The gold is a mind-numbing 13.5%, as I recall.

The beer is brewed by Trappist monks. They're the ones who take a vow of silence. My thinking is that if they drink this stuff all the time, they lost the power of speech a long, long time ago.

fred41
06-30-2011, 06:59 AM
There's a difference between drinking one or two ...and what you can drink in the long haul. A lot of the beers I prefer for taste and body...i couldn't drink in mass quantities because after a while they ALL taste like tree bark.

...all that being said ...

...beer snobs are fags,

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 07:00 AM
...all that being said ...

...beer snobs are fags,

Thanks. And beer sluts are drunks lol.

fred41
06-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks. And beer sluts are drunks lol.

not sure what a beer slut is but ...I guess I'd rather be in that category anyway.

...all that being said, from the beers listed (I've tasted them all except from the czech version of Bud)....as far as taste goes I'd have to pick Guinness...the dark version of Becks is good too (to me).

The worst off of that list is Peroni. That shit tastes like what I imagine the water that backed up into my bathtub from my toilet, after a blockage, would taste like. If anyone wants to run a comparison test...i still got a tub full of it.

Prospero
06-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Yep - Trish - Laphroigs is the best, though you might want to try Talisker some time or Macallan. But NO ice as Robert louis says. Ever. By all means put ice in blends like Black and White or Johnny Walker. Horrible abortions that they are. But I like Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels for a change and a good Irish Whiskey can be good - Crested Ten is among the better ones.

On real ale front my experience is limited as - I say - not so much of a beer drinker these days. But my two favourites, from some rather boozy days at cambridge, are Abbott from the Greene King Brewery and Adnams.

Lagers? Red Stripe from jamaica is okay.

And bottled beers. Newcastle brown.

Now if you want to talk wine... or champagne.....

Have to say the attitude i like best here is The One.... whatever beer is nearest me at the bar. Great style.

But buying beer cos they sponsor sport is a turn-off for me as i hate most sport (Tenis honourable exception) and even more so for patriotic reasons. That's a positively barbarian impulse.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 07:35 AM
not sure what a beer slut is but ...I guess I'd rather be in that category anyway.

Not a pop at you Fred, more a general comment. :)

It always strikes me as funny that whenever a guy wants to insult another on this site, the first word to come to mind is fag.

On HA???

Prospero
06-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Beer snobs are fags... I LOVE it! The old fag slur reappears in almost every thread it can, doesn't it. Who cares. Call me a fag you girls and fuck with me. Call me a fag guys and buy me a drink.

Prospero
06-30-2011, 07:37 AM
...snap

Dino Velvet
06-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Drinking in Belgium is a lot of fun. Every beer is served in a special glass which is used exclusively for that one brew.

Have you tried Chimay, Dino, which comes in blue, red and gold label bottles in ascending levels of alcohol content?

The gold is a mind-numbing 13.5%, as I recall.

The beer is brewed by Trappist monks. They're the ones who take a vow of silence. My thinking is that if they drink this stuff all the time, they lost the power of speech a long, long time ago.

Never tried Chimay. They sell it here at Trader Joe's. Time to make an addition to the grocery list.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Yep - Trish - Laphroigs is the best, though you might want to try Talisker some time or Macallan. But NO ice as Robert louis says. Ever. By all means put ice in blends like Black and White or Johnny Walker. Horrible abortions that they are. But I like Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels for a change and a good Irish Whiskey can be good - Crested Ten is among the better ones.

On real ale front my experience is limited as - I say - not so much of a beer drinker these days. But my two favourites, from some rather boozy days at cambridge, are Abbott from the Greene King Brewery and Adnams.

Lagers? Red Stripe from jamaica is okay.

And bottled beers. Newcastle brown.

Now if you want to talk wine... or champagne.....

Have to say the attitude i like best here is The One.... whatever beer is nearest me at the bar. Great style.

But buying beer cos they sponsor sport is a turn-off for me as i hate most sport (Tenis honourable exception) and even more so for patriotic reasons. That's a positively barbarian impulse.

All Islay malts are grand drams, including the lighter ones like Bruichladdich and the great Caol Ila. But for the darker ones, they are the giants of the malt world - Ardbeg, Bowmore, Bunnahabhain, Lagavulin and Laphraoig, with last two probably the ultimate test for the malt novice.

I am a certified malt bore - have a collection of over 100 single malts at home, so it's a theme I'll probably return to; growing up within a half-mile of one of the better distilleries helped.

I like most Irish Whiskeys - the triple distillation lends a fruity quality often missing from Scotch. But I find American whiskey is usually far to sweet for my taste. Maker's Mark is more than ok though.

And I can see I'll need to take you on a beer tour of East Anglia, Prospero. In addition to Abbot and Greene King IPA - great session pint - there's Charles Wells and now Youngs in Bedford, Adnams of course, plus a musician friend runs Crouch Vale brewery in North Essex. Not too far away there's Frog Island and Purity in Northampton, which also includes the chemical works, sorry, the Carlsberg keggery.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Never tried Chimay. They sell it here at Trader Joe's. Time to make an addition to the grocery list.

Okay pal. Just promise me that you won't drive after drinking it. In fact, best assume a seated position before you start and prepare for a mental crash.

theone1982
06-30-2011, 07:49 AM
You forgot Old Milwaukee! The cheapest can of piss in America! Now with 30% less severed fingers found in cans!:)

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 07:51 AM

...all that being said, from the beers listed (I've tasted them all except from the czech version of Bud)....as far as taste goes I'd have to pick Guinness...the dark version of Becks is good too (to me).

The worst off of that list is Peroni. That shit tastes like what I imagine the water that backed up into my bathtub from my toilet, after a blockage, would taste like. If anyone wants to run a comparison test...i still got a tub full of it.

Italians don't drink Peroni except in the area where it's brewed in the north. Try Morretti if you can get it. Brewed in Rome and much better. Cheaper too.

Prospero
06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Interesting how revealing this thread is. Aside from the picture threads it seems to be the fastest growing thread on the whole site. Beer and TS girls - the twin poles of our collective interests. What are we like!

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Interesting how revealing this thread is. Aside from the picture threads it seems to be the fastest growing thread on the whole site. Beer and TS girls - the twin poles of our collective interests. What are we like!

Freudian slip, Prospero? :whistle:

Oh, and yet another correction for Mr Timbertwig.

Ed, the Corrs are a rather tasteful Irish soft-rock combo. Except the brother.

And Coors is a tasteless American brew.

Prospero
06-30-2011, 08:05 AM
An the Coors beer company is also owned - or was - by a hugely reactionary right wing family.

theone1982
06-30-2011, 08:07 AM
And Coors is a tasteless American brew.

Hey, hey, Coors may be American, and it may be a brew, but....wait, what was that third thing?:) Oh well, anyway it does have alcohol!:) Good enough for me!

Prospero
06-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Have you tried white spirit then? That's pure stuff. You'll really get blind drunk on it.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 08:09 AM
An the Coors beer company is also owned - or was - by a hugely reactionary right wing family.

Here's an interesting beer fact. In the 1770's two Burton on Trent entrepreneurs swapped their businesses.

If that hadn't happened, we'd all be drinking Pickfords Bitter and having our furniture moved around the country by Bass.

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Have you tried white spirit then? That's pure stuff. You'll really get blind drunk on it.

Feckin' wimps. I'm from Glasgow, where a good mother (aged 11) will mix meths with her milk so that the wean gets a taste for the good things in life right from the start.

Prospero
06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
You can take a kid out of the Gorbals... but his balls will always be there

robertlouis
06-30-2011, 08:15 AM
You can take a kid out of the Gorbals... but his balls will always be there

.....but he'll take his gor with him wherever he goes. :dancing:

And I'll have you know I hail from Milngavie, start of the West Highland Way.

You tak the high road and I'll tak the low road.....

BLKGSXR
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Such a crappy selection, then again I stray from beer,ales,stouts now...Hennessey, Crown royal or some Captn Morgan spiced rum.

Willie Escalade
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
ROOT beer...A&W to be exact...:dancing:

mikelpo
06-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Most german or Belgian beer is sound. If you ever visit Liverpool go to the ship and mitre pub, drank some mad shite in there a couple of times!

Jericho
06-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Most german or Belgian beer is sound. If you ever visit Liverpool go to the ship and mitre pub, drank some mad shite in there a couple of times!

What's that place near the Empire, is it the Raglan Arms?
It's been a while (a long while) but, last time I was there, they were selling Moonraker.
I only had about six, i was off my tits! :hide-1:

trish
06-30-2011, 08:33 PM
On the rocks! Good God woman. You're off my list.

Seriously, ice kills the darker flavours and the complexity. A little water, added slowly, can also open up some of the heavier malts. But never, ever, have malt on ice.

Jack Daniels on the other hand - as much ice as possible to kill the taste. :dancing:Thanks. I tried and agree.

Jimmy W
06-30-2011, 08:56 PM
NONE! of the above. Victoria Bitters!!!!!!!! and I dont even live in Australia

Gillian
06-30-2011, 09:18 PM
You can add what you like ... :cheers:

IMHO, you need a small amount of water to bring out the nose and take away some of the astringency.

I knew the chairman of Invergordon Distillers and he used to enjoy his whisky in a highball with a load of water ...

Dino Velvet
06-30-2011, 11:13 PM
I've always wanted to go drinking with Trish but she's responsible and drinks in moderation and I can't.

SisterDickRadio
07-01-2011, 12:49 AM
I prefer Stella... but when not available ill drink Miller Light or PBR depends where I am at! Lived in Chi for 8yrs! LOL!

muh_muh
07-01-2011, 12:50 AM
although the Rauchbier has a taste I have yet to acquire!

schlenkerla? havent actually had a chance to try it yet but a lot of people i know are absolutely convinced the brewery has got either a bacon or a whole dead pig jammed in their pipes somewhere

Just out of interest, which Weizen would you recommend?

the vast majority round here prefer gutmann and i tend to agree
especially their dark wheat is quite fantastic
the only slight annoyance with their beer is the 10 minutes you have to spend rolling the bottle to loosen the centimetre thick yeast sludge from the bottom

CORVETTEDUDE
07-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I've always wanted to go drinking with Trish but she's responsible and drinks in moderation and I can't.

Nooooo doubt!!!:whistle:

sexyasianescorts
07-01-2011, 01:14 AM
The best I ever had was christmas ale it was like 8.4% and tasted like velvet i was drunk after one pint lol

CORVETTEDUDE
07-01-2011, 04:09 AM
I've reconsidered my answer in this, most important query.....My favorite beer is.....

COLD!!!!

robertlouis
07-01-2011, 04:26 AM
I've reconsidered my answer in this, most important query.....My favorite beer is.....

COLD!!!!

Yep, that way you don't have to taste it..... :dancing::dancing::dancing:

robertlouis
07-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Thanks. I tried and agree.

Welcome back to the fold, sister.

Slainthe mhath!

Prospero
07-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Cold is good on a roasting day. But in that case I'd opt for water over that fizzy burpy beer like stuff called Schlitz or Bud or whatever

For taste purposes it has to be one of the myriad of real ales from the UK, Guinness or one of these tasty Euro beers from Belgium or the Czech republic or germany or wherever. Whoever persuaded Americans to buy those fizzy alcoholic drinks by the lakeload.

Prospero
07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
And I'm glad Robert Louis's arguments/suggestions have worked for you Trish. Much better, eh?

muh_muh
07-01-2011, 11:48 AM

COLD!!!!

one of the best ways to find out if a beer is actually good is to drink one thats not cooled (not warm we dont want to be as silly as the english but not cooled either)

BLKGSXR
07-01-2011, 11:54 AM

COLD!!!!
well you're a simple mothafucka arent cha. smh :banghead

Prospero
07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Chloe - can I buy you two pints then? (You are this site's mystery girl... but you seem so potentially cute)

CORVETTEDUDE
07-01-2011, 03:08 PM
well you're a simple mothafucka arent cha. smh :banghead

and....EASY!!!!:dancing::banana::hide-1:

infinitenexus
07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Hmmmm, must say that I don't like any beers on that list. I like strong, hoppy beers, such as IPAs. My two current favorite beers are both made by Stone brewery, they're Arrogant Bastard ale and Ruination IPA

Prospero
07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I guess this is more martini than beer....

YouTube - ‪Frank Sinatra One for my Baby‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCfvkpFCqKI)

Prospero
07-01-2011, 03:56 PM
But this one IS about beer.....

YouTube - ‪South Park - Beer Song‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imgxOmW6VZ0&feature=related)

The singers are a group called They Might be Giants

Prospero
07-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Finally some sound advice....

YouTube - ‪MWCH 2010 Drunk With Dignity‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJmchSeO9M&feature=related)

or else....

YouTube - ‪Drunk Supermarket Guy‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0UMXo-dJWU)

CORVETTEDUDE
07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
You know...Everybody has to believe in something!!! I believe I'll have another BEER!!!:dancing::cheers::whistle:

scotlandlover
07-01-2011, 06:41 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr

European21
07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
only 5 people likes czech beer?

Kramer
07-02-2011, 05:45 AM
1- Bass ale
2- Warsteiner
3- Spaten
4- Molson
5- Genesee Cream ale

jimme747
07-02-2011, 06:08 AM
How about "Delerium Tremens" the name says it all. RL speaking of the WHW, starting in Milngavie, I vividly remember visitors in Glasgow asking for directions.
Fun part was they pronounced it wrong, something like Milngaffie instead of "Mulguy" so it took me a while to figure out they needed to go to the start of the WHW. As for single Malt, Highland Park 25yrs is to die for.

robertlouis
07-02-2011, 06:28 AM
How about "Delerium Tremens" the name says it all. RL speaking of the WHW, starting in Milngavie, I vividly remember visitors in Glasgow asking for directions.
Fun part was they pronounced it wrong, something like Milngaffie instead of "Mulguy" so it took me a while to figure out they needed to go to the start of the WHW. As for single Malt, Highland Park 25yrs is to die for.

I'm suitably impressed on all counts, Jimme. Where are you from?

I've done the WHW three times and been alternately soaked, frozen, boiled and bitten to death by midges every time. Loved every minute (well, almost...).

Second and third times, started at the north end, as that seemed to make more sense.

Highland Park is a very fine malt. Have you visited the distillery on Orkney?

If I was pushed to a personal favourite, the Islays, both light and heavy, would all be in the mix, as would Glengoyne - local to Milngavie, but my choice would be 21-year old Springbank from Campbeltown.

jimme747
07-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Sheanair was from Achnacarry, did WHW 5 times, once with 45 cdo, in one go no sleep. Don't get me started, Springbank is also on my list.
When celebrating with my buddie (also 45 cdo), we decided to do the Malt Whisky Trail by shanks's mare so we could drink a wee dram. Awesome.

jimme747
07-02-2011, 06:44 AM
http://www.maltwhiskytrail.com/pages/view/the-trail

robertlouis
07-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Sheanair was from Achnacarry, did WHW 5 times, once with 45 cdo, in one go no sleep. Don't get me started, Springbank is also on my list.
When celebrating with my buddie (also 45 cdo), we decided to do the Malt Whisky Trail by shanks's mare so we could drink a wee dram. Awesome.

I spent a memorable summer on Islay years ago, staying with a friend from uni whose family home was a half mediaeval tower house, half Georgian mansion overlooking the Atlantic. We got jobs with the council looking after the graveyards and spent the entire summer in a bucolic and alcoholic haze. No-one seemed to have to buy malt, there was always a bottle or two available, and drinking beer was viewed as a practice not dissimilar to homosexuality or a liking for any sport other than shinty. And the pubs never shut, because the cops were all in there, in or out of uniform.

My liver is still trying to recover after 20 years.

jimme747
07-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Doing WHW from the North, would make sense, if lucky and the sun shines it will be in your face most of the time but better views ahead. Also hiking uphill or mountain (Devil's staircase), is easier on the knees and ankles rather then going down from FW.

robertlouis
07-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Doing WHW from the North, would make sense, if lucky and the sun shines it will be in your face most of the time but better views ahead. Also hiking uphill or mountain (Devil's staircase), is easier on the knees and ankles rather then going down from FW.

Agreed, but I could and did fall asleep luxuriating in the bath each time I got back, in my parents' house in Milngavie.

Not quite the same in the YH at FW! :)

jimme747
07-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Beer was for poofters, never went to Islay, will go soon lots of good dram and not far from Jura.

jimme747
07-02-2011, 07:00 AM
That's cheating, under the stars, Kingshouse or Mamore Lodge was my choice.
Or just a dip in on of the Loch's.

Luvs T Gyrls
07-02-2011, 07:02 AM
1-Molson
2-Guiness
3-Kulmbacher
4-PBR
5-Ba Moi Ba Export 33

Prospero
07-02-2011, 10:47 AM
European - i LOVE Czech beer but as i had only one vote to cast it had to go to Guinness.

European21
07-02-2011, 02:14 PM
ok i never drink Guinness beer so i must tried it.
maybe is better than czech beer.:)

NatashaLover
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I do not drink but where is heineken from Germany and Medalla from Puerto Rico?

Bobby Domino
07-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Boddington beer. As creamy as Guiness, but not at all heavy.

Jericho
07-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Ouch, that's going to upset the cloggies! :hide-1:

f1manoz
07-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Or American pish as we call it in Scotland ... :D

Or in England as carbonated flavoured water....

f1manoz
07-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Heineken is Dutch. You can go on a tour of the old brewery in Amsterdam.

CORVETTEDUDE
07-03-2011, 12:37 AM
My absolute "FAVORITE" Beer would have to be the one I'm drinkin' right frickin' NOW!!!:cheers:

fla_funmeister2
07-03-2011, 01:33 AM
None of the swill listed on the poll.

NatashaLover
07-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Heineken is Dutch. You can go on a tour of the old brewery in Amsterdam.

cool, thanks for the info

robertlouis
07-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Ouch, that's going to upset the cloggies! :hide-1:

Hardly surprising. About 20 years ago I found myself on US Airways inaugural flight on their Boston to Frankfurt service. They had clearly done their cultural homework.

We were all served a complementary Heineken. I pointed out to the cabin crew that this was in fact, although excellent, a Dutch beer. They continued to insist that it was German. Eventually I showed them the label which said brewed in Amsterdam, at which point they looked triumphantly at one another and smugly told me that everyone knows that Amsterdam is in Germany.

Ignorant fuckwits.

onmyknees
07-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Hardly surprising. About 20 years ago I found myself on US Airways inaugural flight on their Boston to Frankfurt service. They had clearly done their cultural homework.

We were all served a complementary Heineken. I pointed out to the cabin crew that this was in fact, although excellent, a Dutch beer. They continued to insist that it was German. Eventually I showed them the label which said brewed in Amsterdam, at which point they looked triumphantly at one another and smugly told me that everyone knows that Amsterdam is in Germany.

Ignorant fuckwits.

You don't say RobertLouis....I'm shocked. So many misinformed people and so little time for you to set them all straight ! How do you do it??? LMAO

Prospero
07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Perhaps they were neo-Nazis with a desire for history to have gone differently?

Anyway as this thread sinks slowly under the table I see that guiness seems to be the clear winner ..hic

StlyeMeCunty
07-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't drink... :geek::geek::geek:

Prospero
07-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Nor you hic

robertlouis
07-05-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't drink... :geek::geek::geek:

Don't worry sweety. I'll make up for you. :cheers:

mikelpo
07-05-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm half cut now

Prospero
07-05-2011, 09:32 AM
That must be very uncomfortable Mikelpo.... most folks are cut or uncut.