PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have TIVO??

Kramer
12-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Im thinking of getting it. I hear its a bitch to hook up. anyone here pleased with it? :D

Felicia Katt
12-28-2005, 06:50 AM
I have a Media PC which lets me use it like a TIVO as a digital video recorder and it comes with a free program guide that lets you find and record programs 14 days ahead. I can then burn the shows to DVD if I want to watch them somewhere else.

I'm pleased with it. But I had to be a bitch to hook it up LOL

FK

Kramer
12-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks Felicia.

Im glad our different political views didnt stop you from helping me out. :D

MassMan
12-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I have TIVO and since getting it I dont think I can watch television without it. As for hooking it up it came together with my cable box all in one so it was very easy, not sure about separate boxes but I'm sure it cant be too bad.

brickcitybrother
12-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I have TIVO. I don't know what issues you've heard about with connecting it to your TV or other equipment. But I have a professional grade set up and was able to intergrate it without so much as a crossed signal.

As for the service itself. It is beyond worth the money. Imagine being able to command what shows come on and when. Imagine you're a Sci-Fi buf (or any genre) and instead of hearing about that Farscape special you didn't know was coming on - its already sitting in your TIVO - waiting for you to watch it.

Now I have a dual tuner set top. So I can literally, watch one program as TIVO either watches or records - TWO DIFFERENT CHANNELS.

P.S. - You can like other DVRs pause, rewind and fastforward live TV.

And finally, TIVO does have commerical skip (You need a Series II box a lil key inputting).

It beats all other DVRs hands down and by about a mile.

nuff said.

RangeHova
12-29-2005, 12:10 AM
If you can get the Motorola box through your cable company go that route. It allows you to record in HD. Plus it is only $5 a month, no money down ans nothing to purchase. That included the HD programing, TIVO doesn't offer that.

The cool thing is, if you have a Mac, you can download programs straight your hard drive.

brickcitybrother
12-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Range - Not to fight but listen:

Tivo has HD boxes as well. But wait there's more as I received updated programming on my set top.

TiVo Inc. now gives you on the screen access to Fandango allowing you to buy movie tickets. It is also accessing local content like news and local weather. All for NO extra charge.

Tivo has already started shipping its own Wireless G USB Network for $50 list! Why would they do such a thing? BECAUSE of Tivo to go which lets you bounces movies/programming from one set top box to another, or to your pc (for viewing) or to your IPOD! Which is crazy when you really think about it. The MPAA should be damn near in total shock and amassing troops at TIVO;s headquarters. P.S. - Replay TV has essentially admitted defeat on set top boxes - but my sources say that a PC set up is close to being in marker 1Q of '06.

I think that's enough. I appreciate what cable is doing - especially Comcast. But TIVO wins against any other DVR solution - Hands down. Even more so if coupled with satellite - though remember DirecTv with Tivo is not a fully compliant Series II option and will not have 'TO GO' functionality 'directly' downloaded - thought I believe a 'work around' is out there in the wild.

jamans
12-29-2005, 02:32 AM
I am a long time TiVo user...and going to peoples house without it and watching TV is unbearable...no bullshit. Way easy to hook up, especially with a basic set up.

As far as the more advanced features that brickcitybrother is speaking of....the things are amazing. I have mine hooked up via a wireless USB to my computer...with lets me view movies stored on there, listen to MP3's (the TiVo is also hooked to the stereo), and view pictures on my TV. With digital cameras being the way they are...its tough to have 5 people look at a computer screen to see a pic....but very easy to sit 5 people on a couch & check out a alblum. It is also possible to burn the TiVo programs to a DVD from your computer. (easy file conversion)

Highly recommened.

Kramer
12-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Thanks alot people, you are very helpful. Have a good new year! :D 8)

tgirl in platform heels
12-29-2005, 03:53 PM
for some reason it never took off here in the UK, lack of backing and advertising i guess. but the whole concept of tivo is great i think.

Dasnasdi
12-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Im thinking of getting it. I hear its a bitch to hook up. anyone here pleased with it? :D

ReplayTV is a superior product. Look for the 5000 series, rather than the current 5500 series. The 5000 has the best for commercial skipping technology.

RangeHova
01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
I feel you Brickcity, but even though Tivo can now record in HD look at the cost difference. While a Tivo HD box will set you back $350 plus, while the Comcast box is $5 a mere month (no money down), that includes the HD programming along with a plethora of On Demand programming. Once you buy the HD Tivo and pay the monthly fee for Tivo you still have to add in extra cost for HD programing (except local channels).

As a Mac user, the Comcast box is way better and easier to link to my computer. One firewire and I can run my video content easily in QuickTime and iTunes and convert it to any other format.

I guess for me, the way I see it the Tivo box does nothing that the Comcast Motorola box doesn’t (except maybe the Fandango thing, but I’d never use that in a million years). The cost is the biggest factor, zero down and $5 a month verses $300 plus down and $12 (plus programming) a month…

The Media Center PCs aren’t a bad option but most users really don’t ever hook the PC to a real TV. The Sony VAIOs with TV inputs works incredibly well. If people actually used their PVRs to the fullest, they would see how great that option is. I actually built a media PC that is about the size of cable box that has more hard drive space than any box on the market. It was relatively easy to build. I just have found that Macs handle HD editing and recording 100 times better than PCs. HD software for a PC is very expensive, while even the cheapest Macs handle HD editing and recording out the box. There is a Mac version set top box that is awesome but with my Motorola box, I just don’t see the need to spend more loot.

Hey, no fight from me. I’m not saying the Motorola box is better than Tivo, just that they are damn near the same thing. The differences are so slight that I can’t justify paying that much more money.

On top of that, I found the satelite dishes are not as good as the cable option in my area. Tivo doesn't work well with a lot of the newer cable boxes at all.
[/i]

George Costanza
01-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Fancy meeting you in here Kramer!

Get the Tivo. It's great!

GiaCallMe
01-05-2006, 01:26 AM
I have the DVR through Time Warner Cable and I cannot imagine not having it. It is only $7 a month. TIVO is good butyou have to but it for $100 and there is a bigger monthly fee. They do provide some more features but for me not enough for the $$$ difference. They are really easy to hookup.