PDA

View Full Version : ...

hillbilly
12-26-2005, 11:10 PM
i can't say enough about Florence/Tuscany. if possible rent a car as it was half the fun for me and my girlfriend and you can go anyplace on a whim and experience crazy Italian drivers to the fullest!

congratulations! whatever you do you'll have a blast.

stewtwo
12-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi;
What are you looking to do as you travel? What do you like.
Are you looking for R&R or to learn a little or what? For sun and fun Jamaica for great history and art St Petersburgh russia, to get more spacy and for good art Amsterdam or maybe more romantic with art Venice.....just to name a few.
Or get to europe and go to many diffrent places depending on what you want to do that say...use the train and go.
:)

BeardedOne
12-26-2005, 11:25 PM
How much time will you have, Angela? My last employer took a couple of weeks and rented a Vanagon/VW camper and he and his wife toured parts of Europe. There were no hotels to keep up with and they had all kinds of flexibility in where they could go and when.

Closer to home: I can't say enough good things about Niagara/Toronto and surrounding areas. Beautiful country and they speak the language quite well too. Eh. :lol:

emokid
12-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Maracaibo / Venezuela :P

BeardedOne
12-28-2005, 01:11 AM
You could also do a nice week or more in the Bay area. Cable cars, trolley cars, sealions, mystery houses, mountains, boat tours, wine country, oy! I could go on.

Gotta love a city where a man can declare himself the Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico (Norton I, that's him in my avatar) and not only get away with it, but have legislation afoot, more than a century later, to have a bridge named after him. :claps

See Good Vibrations! Visit The Castro!

And above all...Beware the Bushman! :lol:

Realgirls4me
12-28-2005, 02:08 AM
You can visit southern California and we could finally get hitched, woman!

;)

Quinn
12-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Just to mess with your parents, you should keep telling them that you want to go on vacation to some other part of Connecticut rather than an exotic locale. Act like you're serious for a few days and then let them in on the joke.

On a more serious note, I would consider anywhere in Southern Europe. By the way, congradulations on your graduation (even if in advance).

-Quinn

BeardedOne
12-28-2005, 02:53 AM
Just to mess with your parents, you should keep telling them that you want to go on vacation to some other part of Connecticut rather than an exotic locale. Act like you're serious for a few days and then let them in on the joke.

Heeyyy. I've been to Quassy, it's a happenin' place. :wink:

Ecstatic
12-28-2005, 03:34 AM
A week isn't nearly enough time for a truly exotic location like Thailand or Japan; I visited India about 20 years ago for two weeks and while it was absolutely mindblowing (we stayed at an ashram and completely immersed ourselves in the culture), two weeks was scarcely enough. It takes a couple of days just to acclimate. So setting aside such dream vacations (Thailand, Japan, New Zealand), I'd suggest either Europe or, closer to home, Canada (which I know you like).

If you choose Europe, I suggest picking one location and staying there to immerse yourself fully: Tuscany as suggested, the south of France, the Swiss Alps (I loved Bern, Zermatt, and Zurich), or some part of the UK (the Western Isles of Scotland, West Country in England). Try doing a long train ride through a beautiful area: the train trek along the Rhine is incredible, or across the Scottish Highlands from Inverness to Skye. Amsterdam is a great city, comfortable enough to really get into but diverse enough to fully engage you for a week (go during the Festival of Fools in June).

I know you like Canada, Ang, so maybe expand your horizons there: start in Montreal for two days, then drive to Quebec City (only a couple of hours) for a day, then head northeast to the beautiful country of Gaspe, the peninsula where 2000-foot mountains meet the sea and the Quebecois culture is very rich yet they are very friendly to American tourists.

Have a great timewhatever you do! What a great graduation present!

InvisibleTS
02-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Alright, I have to have my place picked by today (reserved and all) or else I lose the trip. There are so many variables right now that I have no idea what to do though. I have to pay my own air fare and other expenses wherever I go (only the hotel/whatever is being covered for me) and I simply don't think I can afford some of these prices overseas :( Plus I'm not sure whether I'm having anyone go with me yet making me uncertain about this. On top of that I'm beginning to go through the legal hoopla of name change, drivers license, etc., and the big one for going overseas: PASSPORT. I'm not sure I want to even deal with it all. Might just end up in CA but who knows right now, I have to have a place picked by the end of the day. Maybe I'll just get a hotel in NYC for a week, lol. Ugh. Any help?

BeardedOne
02-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, definitely further than NYC, if you can. Maybe Jersey?

Kidding. Really.

Seriously, try SF for a few days. Airfare is usually pretty "cheap" if you can time it to stagger a weekend (Go and return on Thursday or Wednesday) and leave/return at odd hours (Late going out, early coming back). My flights to SF a couple years ago were less than $300 roundtrip compared to as much as $1500 if I'd left on a Friday or during the mid-day rush.

So many things to see and do there and the Muni 'Passport' gets you anywhere in the city(Including the cable cars) for about five bucks, all-day.

We do, of course, expect postcards. :D

InvisibleTS
02-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok, between the 3 places I was looking at going to (Ireland, San Fransico, and England) I picked NYC. Going at the end of August and the money I would've had to spend on airfare anyplace else I now have to spend on whatever I do there. So, what should I do? Definatly want to spend at least a day at the MOMA (never been) but in my early planning of figuring out what to do, I'm not quite so sure yet.

Used to go to NYC about every other month but pretty much only for concerts. Haven't been in a long time since I stopped going to so many. Think I wasn't in NYC all last year, it'll be nice to return.

Harrys Boy
02-06-2006, 12:33 AM
good job you turned down England its freezing

BeardedOne
02-06-2006, 12:40 AM
So, what should I do?

Speaking as one who has a really twisted sense of touring a city (I know more about what's =under= the streets than above them), don't miss the Staten Island Ferry. Though I haven't been on the SIF, I did ride one on Puget Sound last summer and it's a whole new way of seeing the sights. There are people that spend their entire life in NYC and never see that side of it.

After MOMA, perhaps the more traditonal art at the Metropolitan? A Broadway show? The Empire State Building? The Cloisters?

Dare I suggest a brief visit to Opaline? :lol:

InvisibleTS
02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
After MOMA, perhaps the more traditonal art at the Metropolitan? A Broadway show? The Empire State Building? The Cloisters?

Dare I suggest a brief visit to Opaline? :lol:

Yes, I was definatly planning on a Broadway show (never been to one and have always wanted to). The Metropolitan was the other museum I was definatly going to visit but it escaped my mind. And yes, I will probably visit a club or two or three or four. How about good eats?

BeardedOne
02-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Ray's Pizza. 'Nuff said. :D