PDA

View Full Version : FHM names Andrej Pejic 98th sexiest 'woman' in the world

Ben
05-31-2011, 10:41 PM
FHM names Andrej Pejic 98th sexiest 'woman' in the world

FHM causes a storm by naming the male model in its 100 Sexiest Women in the World list.

BY Melissa Whitworth | 31 May 2011
http://ris.fashion.telegraph.co.uk/RichImageService.svc/imagecontent/1/TMG8548113/m/andrej-story_1909519a.jpg Andrej Pejic backstage at the Jean-Paul Gaultier haute couture show during Paris Fashion Week. Photo: Rex

Fashion bloggers were quick to point out that "lad's mag" FHM is not exactly a bastion of gender equality. So it was noted, with pleasant surprise, how forward-thinking the magazine was to include male model Andrej Pejic - whose USP is that he looks like a woman - in its annual round-up of the 100 Sexiest Women in the World. (Predictably, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was a shoo-in at number one.)

Andrej Pejic, the 19-year-old gender-bender catwalk star says he would consider "a sex change" for Victoria's Secret (http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/hilary-alexander/TMG8364339/Andrej-Pejic-the-19-year-old-gender-bender-catwalk-star-says-he-would-consider-a-sex-change-for-Victorias-Secret.html)
Was the magazine, which describes its list as "a heavely [sic] honeypot of actresses, models, presenters and princesses ranked in an order guaranteed to delight and infuriate in equal measure", leading the charge for transgender rights?
Fashion blurs gender boundaries (http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG8214923/Fashion-blurs-gender-boundaries.html)
Sadly not. The fashion world remains a confusing place for straight males and the entry was quickly taken down from the online version of the story (Pejic remains in the print story which comes as a free supplement with this month's magazine). It seems either the magazine didn't realise Pejic is actually a man, or the editors got cold feet imagining the teasing they'd get at the pub.
(http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG8214923/Fashion-blurs-gender-boundaries.html) One fashionista took a snapshot of Pejic's entry before it was taken down. It was promptly posted (http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG8214923/Fashion-blurs-gender-boundaries.html)on Stylecaster. (http://www.styleite.com/media/andrej-pejic-fhm/)
Video: Andrej Pejic, the 19-year-old gender-bender catwalk star talks to Hilary Alexander (http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/hilary-alexander/TMG8364339/Andrej-Pejic-the-19-year-old-gender-bender-catwalk-star-says-he-would-consider-a-sex-change-for-Victorias-Secret.html)
"Andrej has been confusing the male gender since he was 14, but also admits most men still buy him a drink, despite the shock."
The line that really infuriated fashion types was when the magazine seemed confused about what to call Pejic and resorted to calling him a "thing".
"Although his sexual identity is ambiguous, fashion designers are hailing him as the next big thing. We think 'thing' is quite accurate," the entry said.
Jean Paul Gaultier shows Andrej Pejic the love (http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/belinda-white/TMG8285904/Jean-Paul-Gaultier-shows-Andrej-Pejic-the-love.html)
It went on to say, "The blonde gender-bender has jumped the gun in hoping he might one day be signed as a Victoria's Secret model (Pass the sick bucket)... More troubling is the fact that Andrej is not the only one when it comes to supermodels that are not all they seem."
A spokesperson for FHM said: "Andrej Pejic appears at number 98 in FHM Magazine's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011.
"Regrettably the copy accompanying Andrej's online entry wasn't subbed prior to going live. Once we realised, we removed it immediately and apologised for any offence caused.
"FHM has spoken to the individual concerned and taken steps to ensure this can never happen again."
Our advice? FHM , stick to what you know: which number did Cheryl Cole come in at this year?

BraveHeartz
06-01-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't get it. Is it supposed to be a joke?
They named him as one of the sexiest women in the world, but in the passage about him they say they wanna puke and show intolerance to TS model Lea T.

srsly, I don't get it.

BellaBellucci
06-01-2011, 01:39 AM
I don't get it. Is it supposed to be a joke?
They named him as one of the sexiest women in the world, but in the passage about him they say they wanna puke and show intolerance to TS model Lea T.

srsly, I don't get it.

It's a very public re-exploration of what it means to be a heterosexual man. They think he's hot, but they hate themselves for it. Fags. :lol:

~BB~

Jackal
06-01-2011, 02:02 AM
So if they can admit an androgynous guy is hot, can they admit pre, post and non-op transwomen can be attractive as well?

gay4girlcock
06-01-2011, 02:18 AM
The thing of it is, that it's not the magazine's choice who gets in the list. It's a public vote. Often the commentary that they seem to write seems slightly surprised by how high or low somebody is and tries to explain it away. In this case, it seems quite encouraging that the laddish readership of the magazine has embraced finding an androgynous man this attractive, while the magazine's editors appear to be running scared of upsetting that same readership!

Given the number of hot t-girls increasingly in the public eye, it was only a matter of time before one got onto a list like this, it's just a bit of a surprise that they went with an androgynous guy (albeit one that is really hot) rather than someone more going through transition.

Merkurie
06-01-2011, 08:19 AM
If Andrej came out as a transexual I wonder what the reaction would be?

Jackal
06-01-2011, 08:32 AM
So will Yasmin Lee or Bailey Jay make it next year? I hope so!

YasminLee
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
this is so sad...i think it's probably a publicity stir for them at the expense of us. shame on them People will really shot them down for it though. she has the high fashion world backing her up...and us..

DL_NL
06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
'He's considering a sex change for Victoria's Secret'- If I was a t-girl I'd consider that an insult.

gay4girlcock
06-01-2011, 09:44 AM
'He's considering a sex change for Victoria's Secret'- If I was a t-girl I'd consider that an insult.

But that is something that he said. And, make no mistake, he is still "he". No matter how sexily feminine he looks, he isn't transitioning, doesn't live as a woman, is just playing with gender at the moment. He seems to want to be referred to still as a guy.

LaCosa
06-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Why? It's him. Gotta let people due themselves.

I'd consider wearing a sombrero (traditional Mexican style) if I moved to Mexico (No, I jest, actually I wouldn't).

The guy looks like a broad though. He'd be so raped in prison. I want to rape him and I'm not even in prison. :lol:

robertlouis
06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
So if they can admit an androgynous guy is hot, can they admit pre, post and non-op transwomen can be attractive as well?

Fair point, but I hope to see the day when all transwomen can be considered purely as women, whether pretty, plain or even homely, and not judged solely on their looks. That would be real progress.

dan_drade
06-12-2011, 06:50 PM
If he considers himself a guy, that's cool. But he is still one of the sexiest women in the world imho.

Yoda Rules!
02-20-2012, 03:09 AM
I think he should be much higher than 98th on the list, definitely top 20 material :)

giovanni_hotel
02-20-2012, 03:30 AM
I don't how the selection was made, but usually FHM gives its readers a selection of girls to choose from in lieu of publishing a top 100 list.

It's still progressive to me that Andrej would be on the list at all.
Although technically he seems to be more of an extremely androgynous cross dresser than anything T.

Put it this way, most hetero men nowadays are familiar with the existence of transgendered women. You won't get that 'Who?', 'What?' reaction if the subject of hot tgirls comes up in a casual convo.