PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to help and volunteer

Adam_Thompson
12-25-2005, 01:54 AM
I will be doing more volunteer work next year and wanted to know if anyone else volunteers or does some sort of charity work they feel strongly about...and donating money for hookers' services doesn't count 8)

BeardedOne
12-25-2005, 02:29 AM
...and donating money for hookers' services doesn't count 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, charity begins at home, why not theirs :?: :wink:

Seriously, due to long-term mental/emotional issues, I don't have enough empathy for the human race to volunteer for anything (Besides, I'm dead-ass lazy as well), but I do have some 'pet charities', as it were.

I donate, in my measure of $$, a significant amount each year to the Revlon Walk/Run for Women. It's a charity that promotes research and treatment for women's cancers. My eldest sister and, more recently, my mother, succumed to cancer, so it touches me close to home.

I inadvertantly (Due to a lack of sleep I missed the meetings where I could have contested my nominations) became, two-term, the local Civic Association president, which for this area is de-facto mayoral status. While the job is relatively low-key and low-maintenance I do take a reasonably active role in the community (Which is very tollerant of my work schedule, which begins at 3 AM each day). Offshoots of this include attention paid to the local refinery (Both a regional and health issue), the nuke across the river (See above) and similar community concerns.

In a few days I may be invited to a ribbon-cutting or somesuch on a Habitat For Humanity home just around the corner. Though I consider HFH a faith-based organization, which I tend to frown upon, I support them fully. I have lived in my car and it's just not right. Having a roof over your head is not a privelege, it's a right.

In 2000 I somehow landed on the party radar as a viable candidate for governor of the state in which I live. I discovered this, after the fact, when a number of people in two of our three counties decided they would play the "none of the above" card with my name. It's not a job I want, and have made clear that opinion, but it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that there are people out there that think I might actually do the job right (Even to the point of, IMHO, 'wasting' their vote).

Relative to that, I do support some activist/political organizations that I deem worthy, such as ACT UP and the Lambda Legal Defense Fund (The latter having mysteriously disappeared from this year's Combined Federal Campaign list - Wassup wit' dat?), but again, not in a volunteer capacity.

Do I still get a cookie? :)