PDA

View Full Version : Transgender detainees cut off from hormone drugs

Buzz
05-25-2011, 11:18 PM
This is a sick, sick, sick policy by US Immigration...

Transgender detainees cut off from hormone drugs

Advocacy group claims jail is depriving immigration detainees of 'adequate health care'

SANTA ANA — In the depths of depression, battling hot flashes and desperate about her situation, Monica Freas tried to throw herself from the second floor of the Santa Ana Jail before friends restrained her.

After two decades of taking hormone replacement therapy, the 35-year-old no longer had access to the drugs that made her feel comfortable in her own skin. She begged and pleaded with jailers for months to give her the medication that made her "feel normal" but they refused.

FULL STORY: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43172454/ns/health-health_care/

dreamon
05-25-2011, 11:23 PM
yeah there was a story about this in the OC Register a few weeks back. disgusting

ILuvGurls
05-28-2011, 07:54 PM
an illegal wanting me to foot the bill for their medication.....NO

irongoddess
05-28-2011, 09:57 PM
here in the Uk,transgender women(pre or post) go to a woman`s prison and look after tg women,with hormones and so on!the USA is so far behind than Europe!I LOVE THE UK!

scroller
05-28-2011, 10:18 PM

No, you don't.

PomonaCA
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Horrible! And for what? Let the girls family send her her meds for God sake!

(But don't expect me to pay for it.)

icarus2112
05-28-2011, 11:08 PM
quoted from that article in the link,

"While immigration officials say they don't know the exact cost of providing hormone therapy to detainees, at least one physician puts the price tag at about $1,000 per person per year for treatment and monitoring"

I don't know is that 1,000 per person per year was a misprint of quoted wrong, but if that is correct, that is barely nothing to keep someone physically and mentally healthy and happy.

KarinaGiselle
05-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Question, are the "Don't expect me to pay for it" comments an attempt to troll?

It's surprising to hear that coming from a forum dedicated to enjoy trans girls.

Anyway, HRT is cheap, as mentioned before, and honestly I don't understand why trans girls (or trans guys) are put into the correct penitentiary facility like in the UK, it's surprising that the US is behind other places in human rights.

BigDF
05-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Question, are the "Don't expect me to pay for it" comments an attempt to troll?

It's surprising to hear that coming from a forum dedicated to enjoy trans girls.

Anyway, HRT is cheap, as mentioned before, and honestly I don't understand why trans girls (or trans guys) are put into the correct penitentiary facility like in the UK, it's surprising that the US is behind other places in human rights.Simple answer is no, probably not. I was not terribly surprised to hear this from one of the people, but the other one did surprise me. We're very big on human rights violations in other countries, not so worried about it here, given our lack of a workable immigration policy and equal enforcement of the applicable laws. :(

robertlouis
06-12-2011, 05:37 PM
it's surprising that the US is behind other places in human rights.

Is it fuck. Guantanamo Bay anyone?

dan_drade
06-12-2011, 06:07 PM

I guess you really have no luv for gurls.

DiRtYNASTYfilthy
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
well do they foot the bill for diabetes? we may not die as a direct result of not having the hormones our bodies fail to produce correctly but we will die from depression. i need my meds like a diabetic does cause their body doesn't produce insulin. The standards of care dictates that if a trans person goes into jail, prison or a detention center already on meds that they NEED to be continued!!!

insurgentes
06-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Do you know how many bills you had to pay for the ILLEGAL war that the USA brought against Iraq and Saddam Hussein, "to destroy weapons of mass distructions" that were never found ?

Do you know how many bills you have to pay, only to have american soldiers slaughtered like pigs in Afghanistan, only to fatten up Dick Cheney, Halliburton & Company ?

Thnk about that before writing bullshit.