PDA

View Full Version : What Christmas Means To Me

Skillet
12-23-2005, 09:23 AM
So what is Christmas? Well, I guess it depends on who you ask. If you ask me, and even if you don't, to me Christmas is complicated, yet simple overall. I don't know the specific history of Christmas, but I do know that many of the traditons celebrated during the season are of pagan origin. Adopted or "stolen," if you prefer, by the mainstream Catholic hiararchy of the time. The time itself is full of various religious beliefs. Chanukah, Kwanzaa, um probably a few others. It's really an alamgimation of seasonal celebrations.

Do I belive in the religious aspect of Christmas? Yes. I do. I believe in God and I believe in Jesus Christ and all that He has brought to us. I don not believe that He has brought ntolereance and hate to us. That is all in the hearts of people. Christ is peace, He is joy, He is love. When someone tries to spread hateful propaganda thorugh the name of Christ, it bothers me more than anything else. God does not "hate" anyone. Christ, I believe, is proof of that. No matter who you are, what you ahve doen, or whatz oyu have been thorugh, I believe that God loves you and wants you to have peace and joy in life. Whether you are man, woman, or transgendered. Christ's messages were always about love and acceptance. The God of the Old Testament was vengeful and wrathful, but I believe that Christ came to this earth as God's way to show us that He has a new plan for us all. Not necessarily Plan B, more like Step 2. A new era for all of us. There is no place for judgement by man, and no room for intolerance. And certainly no place for false messages brought to us in His name. Be yourself, God has a plan for you, whther you see Him in the world around you, or not.

But for most people, The holidays are a time of peace, togetherness, and helping others. Whether you believe in God or not, I hope that's how you celebrate the holidays. With your friends and family, and all the ones you love. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Mugai_hentaisha
12-23-2005, 03:20 PM
What Christmas means to me?????

Toughy with me being a Deist and all, I shouldn't be even celebrating it and all but I do.

Why???

Because it is the one day out of the whole year people are supposed to treat one another the way they are supposed to treat people everyday of the year. With honor respect and a sense of acceptance, and they ought to be good and kind to one another.

That above statement is not "owned" by any one religion, they all share it. With the maybe exception of Satanism but we won't go there. :twisted:

remember the immortal words of the Red Baron to Snoopy: :soapbox

baron made snoopy fly to the Rhine
and forced him to land behind enemy lines

Snoopy was certain that this was the end.

When the Red Baron cried out, "Merry Kristmas Mein Friend!"

Sorry about the last part but is from my Favorite Christmas song.

GroobySteven
12-23-2005, 03:36 PM
W
Because it is the one day out of the whole year people are supposed to treat one another the way they are supposed to treat people everyday of the year. With honor respect and a sense of acceptance, and they ought to be good and kind to one another.

That above statement is not "owned" by any one religion, they all share it.

Although only Christian based countries observe Christmas. Other countries are working as normal!
seanchai

Mugai_hentaisha
12-23-2005, 03:59 PM
W

That above statement is not "owned" by any one religion, they all share it.

Although only Christian based countries observe Christmas. Other countries are working as normal!
seanchai

True although Japan has oberves it somewhat. I don't celebrate the Christ part of it, I like to give gifts, be with friends and family...although friends are my family mostly, treat strangers in my life as if i had known them all my life, and a host of other reasons that when you get down to it.....are shared by all religions (again the satanism thing) whether they sit aside a day for it or not.

Message to all the fundies out there, "you know who you are!!!! :soapbox

the message you want the world to follow in your name for 1 day should be followed in all names everyday.

Kramer
12-24-2005, 12:55 AM
How about the birth of Jesus Christ? Ring a bell anyone? :roll:

chefmike
12-24-2005, 01:16 AM
What about Mr. Hankey?

HIIIDEEE HIII!!!

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Im a Catholic but when I think of Christmas growing up..I think of vacation, No school/no homeworks, shopping, partying, alot of time for friends and family. Oh and ofcourse..Food!

~Kisses.

HTG

Ecstatic
12-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Well, yes, Kramer, but historically Rome adopted Dec 25 as the birth of Christ because a) they had no clear idea of when he was actually born and b) millions in the empire already celebrated the birth of Mithra (who was vastly more popular at the time) and co-opting Mithra's birthdate made the conversion of the heathen much simpler.

Of course, Mithraists in turn, nearly 1000 years earlier, had adopted the celebration of the solstice for the same reason, and over that millenium the inaccuracies in the calendar had allowed the date to drift from the actual solstice (21st/22nd) to the 25th.

Kramer
12-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Well, uh.........................thanks for clearing that mess up! Phew!!!!!!!!! :?

gaiseric
12-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Being an atheist, the religious side of christmas does not come into my thinking. I enjoy being with friends and giving gifts to those I care about. Receiving gifts is nice but is not that important to me. The family side of christmas for me is non existent. My father is a fanatical Jehovah's Witness and does not celebrate christmas. I think his view is you shouldn't glorify yourself by giving/receiving gifts etc. Mind you, as I'm not a JW, he doesn't talk to me very often anyway. One of the joys of some religions.
This year I shall probably be on my own with plenty of food and wine. That doesn't bother me at all as I can then spend the holiday as I want without having to worry about anyone else. The only downer is that the love of my life is currently on your side of the pond until March next year so I will have to keep in touch via the internet and the phone. Ho humm.
Finally may I wish a happy and peaceful holiday to all the posters on HA with the hope that the new year bring evryone peace and happiness and the things they desire.

:D :D :D :D

Gus The Dagger
12-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Christmas means gifts.

BeardedOne
12-25-2005, 03:56 AM
Christmas means gifts.

Not exactly...

$$-mas means gifts.