PDA

View Full Version : The Chappelle Theory........

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Interesting site, waiting to read your comments on it

http://www.chappelletheory.com/

Sinister
12-20-2005, 10:00 PM
this has been posted on a couple of sites and when i first read it, i thought that it sounded like absolute bullshit. i mean the black crusaders? come on. now i'm not knocking the whole "secret society" conspiracy angle, but I highly doubt that with there not being many black people on tv as it is, people who are looked up to in the black community (oprah, sharpton, cosby, etc.) would try to stop another person from conducting business. I mean not agreeing with how one person portrays another race is understandable, but i don't see any of those celebrities going to that extreme to stop chappele's show.

I think most of the reason for him not coming back is the hype of trying to live up to the previous seasons and not having full creative control on the direction in which he wants his show to go (which has been stated many times). idk, overall i wish him the best but i would have loved to see the full season instead of what comedy central has put together.

Quinn
12-20-2005, 10:13 PM
It's an interesting read, but it's a little short on supporting evidence. Still, this isn't the first time that I have heard stories about celebrities like Bill Cosby and Whoopi Goldberg coming down on other black celebrities over race related issues.

If the article is correct, and these guys did torpedo the show because they "believed it was setting back race relations 50 years," I think they made a mistake. IMO, part of Chapelle's genius is his ability to make you laugh at touchy race related issues the way he does - including when it's directed at your own respective race.

-Quinn

slinky
12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Ever heard of "Viral Marketing"?

December
12-20-2005, 10:47 PM
OH, how I love Conspiracy theories-they make Blunders look deliberate and bad decisions look intelligent. The writer needs to consider that in most situations, if Incompetence is less convoluted, ti's a better explanation than Malice.

The simpler explanation is usually the right one-Comedy Central screwed the pooch, and Dave Chappelle discovered there were things he'd rather be doing. a "Vast conspiracy" is too complicated an explanation for the event in question. (esp. considering that for it to work, Bill Cosby has to get along with Louis Farrakhan, and Whoopi Goldberg- Cosby's a Republican, Goldberg's a hard-core Democrat, those two tribes are at one another's throats and neither one takes Farrakhan seriously...)

TomSelis
12-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Oprah, Cosby and Sharpton....the Black Bilderburg Group.

slinky
12-21-2005, 12:09 AM
OH, how I love Conspiracy theories-they make Blunders look deliberate and bad decisions look intelligent. The writer needs to consider that in most situations, if Incompetence is less convoluted, ti's a better explanation than Malice.

The simpler explanation is usually the right one-Comedy Central screwed the pooch, and Dave Chappelle discovered there were things he'd rather be doing. a "Vast conspiracy" is too complicated an explanation for the event in question. (esp. considering that for it to work, Bill Cosby has to get along with Louis Farrakhan, and Whoopi Goldberg- Cosby's a Republican, Goldberg's a hard-core Democrat, those two tribes are at one another's throats and neither one takes Farrakhan seriously...)

Occam's Razor.

TomSelis
12-21-2005, 12:14 AM
It's still interesting to see someone put that much time into it.